Major/minor Pentatonic Scale Use
Nick6373
Jan 17 2015, 03:02 AM
GMC:er
Hey everyone! I was wondering if it would be appropriate to use both the major and minor pentatonic scales in this progression:
(A G/mc Collab) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...=53716&st=0

VERSE
A5 | D5 G | (x4)

BRIDGE
E | E |

CHORUS
A5 G | D5 G | (x4)

Since none of the chords are minor or major could you use both? Also when would you wanna switch between the two if you can use them both?

One other question I have is is there some scale that's like a combined version of the A Major and A Minor pentatonic scales in the minor position 1 spot I could use?

Thanks!!
(I really know very little about theory)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Nick6373: Jan 17 2015, 03:07 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2015, 03:55 PM
Instructor
Hi Nick! It's cool to see you interested on going deeper with this one. This progression is basically a Mixolydian mode progression because the first chord has a "major" quality but the second chord that appears is build starting by the 7th minor note (G). Blues progressions are similar to these ones and that's why we feel more comfortable playing Pentatonic minor and blues scale over this one, since we are very used to hear the minor 3rd which gives the bluesy sound.

This means that the safer scale to play over this one is Pentatonic minor scale, as well as blues scale. So the notes from the others scale should be used as passing notes, and to give an extra color (my favorite is the addition of the major 3rd over A) However Mixolydian mode works good over A chord and if you are careful with the notes choices, you can use it over the other two chords. The pentatonic major scale can also be used but once again, there are some notes that won't sound very good over G and D, so be careful.

This lesson covers exactly this topic: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...atonics-lesson/

And reading a bit these articles will really help to learn more about this:

LINK 1
LINK 2

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Nick6373
Jan 17 2015, 09:25 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 17 2015, 02:55 PM) *
Hi Nick! It's cool to see you interested on going deeper with this one. This progression is basically a Mixolydian mode progression because the first chord has a "major" quality but the second chord that appears is build starting by the 7th minor note (G). Blues progressions are similar to these ones and that's why we feel more comfortable playing Pentatonic minor and blues scale over this one, since we are very used to hear the minor 3rd which gives the bluesy sound.

This means that the safer scale to play over this one is Pentatonic minor scale, as well as blues scale. So the notes from the others scale should be used as passing notes, and to give an extra color (my favorite is the addition of the major 3rd over A) However Mixolydian mode works good over A chord and if you are careful with the notes choices, you can use it over the other two chords. The pentatonic major scale can also be used but once again, there are some notes that won't sound very good over G and D, so be careful.

This lesson covers exactly this topic: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...atonics-lesson/

And reading a bit these articles will really help to learn more about this:

LINK 1
LINK 2

Thanks Gabriel!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 18 2015, 04:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nick6373 @ Jan 17 2015, 05:25 PM) *
Thanks Gabriel!

No problem! Looking forward your new takes!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:38 AM