> Soloing Over Javier's Amazing Backing
Kristofer Dahl
post Feb 13 2015, 09:31 AM
Post #1

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

Hi guys and girls, so it's time again! I am having a blast re-discovering old lessons and backings in our archive! biggrin.gif

Here is Javiers' original lesson.

Just as last time, my intention was not to play Javier's lines or compete with his, I just used his backing track since I found it really cool sounding and inspiring!

If you don't mind - feel free to comment on my playing. Could you hear any mistakes (there are a bunch)? What was good/bad?

PS I borrowed my wife's beanie for this one ph34r.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MisterM
post Feb 13 2015, 12:56 PM
Post #2

Experienced Tone Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 20.608

Hi Kristofer

very nice, i liked the crunch tone, the reggae touch is beautifull.

Nice moment for me smile.gif

--------------------
I'm French, I learn English.....

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
post Feb 13 2015, 03:43 PM
Post #3

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 18.479

I really like this improv of yours. Gives a very chill mood. From me you will receive only good words for this smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Feb 13 2015, 10:46 PM
Post #4

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (MisterM @ Feb 13 2015, 12:56 PM) *
Hi Kristofer

very nice, i liked the crunch tone, the reggae touch is beautifull.

Nice moment for me smile.gif

Thanks MisterM, now that you say it I notice those percussive right hand hits do give a kind of reggae feeling, hehe cool that's new stuff to me!

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Feb 13 2015, 03:43 PM) *
I really like this improv of yours. Gives a very chill mood. From me you will receive only good words for this smile.gif

Thanks Monica! Btw how is it going? I am dying to hear a fresh recording of yours, have you been playing recently? I think your progress is so exciting and your dedication is an inspiration for all of us.

Keep us in the loop!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
post Feb 14 2015, 10:57 AM
Post #5

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 18.479

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 13 2015, 09:46 PM) *
Thanks Monica! Btw how is it going? I am dying to hear a fresh recording of yours, have you been playing recently? I think your progress is so exciting and your dedication is an inspiration for all of us.

Keep us in the loop!

I work a lot with Darek to finish his lesson Hybrid Blues and I'm still stuck at the last 15 seconds from it. Our strategy is to double my actual technical level. It's not an easy thing at all. I have already learned many new things because it's a lesson full of details, ornaments and different "traps" starting with the challenge of playing with the same type of tone.
Because I need to keep better dynamics response I achieved a similar tone using his settings from lesson. At this moment the lesson it's dangerously close from Darek's playing and we have worked any tiny detail. Everything sounds very good and we are proud of this.
The problem is at the last 15 seconds. It's a very, very fast part for me. We have 90 notes which must be played in 10 seconds. If this part was much shorter probably it was already finished. After many weeks I can play this fast part at 70% speed from lesson and this not make me happy. I work to increase the speed and it's very hard. Also the last 5 seconds from lesson have a very tricky lick.

Beside this lesson I work at 2 improv. I decided that it's time to also grow my composing level and try new things. Some fast runs, broken notes, bends around the beat and harmonics start to come naturally in improvisations, which is a good thing. Unfortunately still need practice to play them perfectly. Also I start to use too many details in improv and became very hard to play them all but I can't stop to do that biggrin.gif

I have that moment when you feel that your old level it's not enough, not satisfy you and the new level it's too high over comfort zone. Probably it's just a transition period which it's a little difficult and frustrating, a period which take some time but I enjoy this even if I have days when nothing sounds good.

But I work hard to be able to show you guys new things in my playing and that's why I made a tiny pause in posting new videos wink.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
post Feb 14 2015, 03:43 PM
Post #6

Experienced Guitar Hero

Member No.: 14.899

Sounds really cool, Kris. It has a raw and live feel to it which I like. I guess what I mean is that it sounds more in the moment instead of something that was rehearsed for days on end.

The tone, percussive finger picked part, and overall good vibes sound unique. It is difficult to 'criticize' someone who has far more playing ability than me. Since you were asking for the good/bad, the only things that stood out to me was the ending pentatonic lick at :46 wasn't Kristofer clean. Perhaps the timing at :24 felt out of place to me. Comparing to the bend at 1:04 which is off the beat but sounds very tasty. Some of the bends sounded slightly harsh to my ears, specifically at the faster runs and the double stop when you roll into the distorted guitar. Of course, that is a matter of taste! The piece sounds amazing as a whole and I was looking for good/bad from your request. biggrin.gif Like I said it is more interesting to hear a live feel rather than something that has been polished to perfection. Nice hat. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Feb 14 2015, 11:29 PM
Post #7

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Feb 14 2015, 10:57 AM) *
I have that moment when you feel that your old level it's not enough, not satisfy you and the new level it's too high over comfort zone. Probably it's just a transition period which it's a little difficult and frustrating, a period which take some time but I enjoy this even if I have days when nothing sounds good.

I see exactly what you mean. This reminds me of the 9 months I spent getting better control of my vibrato and bending with this tune. Sometimes such periods are needed to get past an obstacle.

Thanks for the update - once again, your journey is very inspiring! cool.gif

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Feb 14 2015, 03:43 PM) *
Sounds really cool, Kris. It has a raw and live feel to it which I like. I guess what I mean is that it sounds more in the moment instead of something that was rehearsed for days on end.

The tone, percussive finger picked part, and overall good vibes sound unique. It is difficult to 'criticize' someone who has far more playing ability than me. Since you were asking for the good/bad, the only things that stood out to me was the ending pentatonic lick at :46 wasn't Kristofer clean. Perhaps the timing at :24 felt out of place to me. Comparing to the bend at 1:04 which is off the beat but sounds very tasty. Some of the bends sounded slightly harsh to my ears, specifically at the faster runs and the double stop when you roll into the distorted guitar. Of course, that is a matter of taste! The piece sounds amazing as a whole and I was looking for good/bad from your request. biggrin.gif Like I said it is more interesting to hear a live feel rather than something that has been polished to perfection. Nice hat. cool.gif

Thanks a lot for the comments Degroot.

I am a big fan of your playing and musical taste. However even I weren't, I would find your opinion valuable - because after all the average listener which we're all trying to connect with through our music - is not a skilled musician.

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Feb 14 2015, 03:43 PM) *

Cool to hear you say this, it actually inspired me to pick up my midi guitar today and work on an improvised solo. Let's see if it makes it to the record button! =) This solo was indeed not completely rehearsed.

* the only things that stood out to me was the ending pentatonic lick at :46 wasn't Kristofer clean. Spot on - I messed up there. Probably because I was so focus on nailing the coming melody which is the solo's climax. It's a pretty obvious mistake, since I play it better the two preceeding runs.

* Perhaps the timing at :24 felt out of place to me. This one does not bother me.

* Some of the bends sounded slightly harsh to my ears, specifically at the faster runs and the double stop when you roll into the distorted guitar. Spot on! To me this is the biggest problem with the entire take. Bends at 00:22 and 00:34 are not acceptable, to the point that they hurt ears.

Also, I think vibrato at 00:40 is weak. I am too focused on the coming run (not a good sign - I should have practiced more before recording!)

Of course I should probably clarify that I am decently happy with the over-all musical feel of this take, but I like to dissect my recording so that the next one hopefully will be better!

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
post Feb 15 2015, 03:57 AM
Post #8

Experienced Guitar Hero

Member No.: 14.899

Thanks Kris for the details about your take. I was very curious to hear you opinion. smile.gif When hearing your take for the first time I had nothing to say but for that it sounded great. I listened a few times and just analyzed… it was fun to really just listen for the nuances. I always get a lot of inspiration out of your playing!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 12:50 AM