> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lester's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 13 2015, 03:17 AM
Post #21

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Great job Lester! So this tune shows again the excessive use of the V major as well as a new idea: Using the IV major in a minor tonality. This chord is borrowed from the dorian mode so the overall tune goes dorian when this chord sounds and even more if it's followed by the Im over the one you can keep on playing dorian melodies. Try it.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lester
post Mar 18 2015, 12:01 AM
Post #22

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.783

Hi Gabe,

I was working on the next song, but it's a bit more of a problem...or challenge maybe tongue.gif

I've divided the song into timeslots, because the structure is not very clear otherwise.
Problem is: there is not much guitar, so I'm not sure what chords I am looking for...and the song is quite complex, or at least I think it is and to figure out everything I hear will take forever...

Maybe I should choose another song? your thought?

Here's what I've got so far:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 18 2015, 01:39 PM
Post #23

Instructor
Group Icon

What a beautiful song!! Thanks for sharing. smile.gif

It's true that it's a bit complex so if you don't feel comfortable at this point, let's skip it for the future and let's work on another one.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
post Mar 18 2015, 09:02 PM
Post #24

Learning Roadie

It is a beautiful song! wink.gif
If you like this, you should check some of his other stuff, especially the "Diagnostic" and "Illusions" album.

For the assignment: I will just continue with the next song in the list, although I think I will give it a rest for this week and continue next week...I have a few deadlines for my university and for my exchange application to Finland, so It's a bit much at the moment smile.gif

I'll keep you updated!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 19 2015, 02:46 PM
Post #25

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Lester, it sounds good for me. Have you been recording new ideas lately?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
post Mar 20 2015, 08:25 AM
Post #26

Learning Roadie

Well, I've recorded some really small ideas, but I didn't really expand on them. I would like to do so though, also the progression I've worked on with Cosmin...it's the song I've worked out the most, it's not finished yet though smile.gif

Also I've worked on a lesson by Marcus Lavendell for a while now:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-solo-beginner/

I've uploaded a quick take of where I'm at now...nowhere good enough for a REC take or anything, but I'm making progress biggrin.gif

Attached File  rock_idea.wav ( 7.06MB ) Number of downloads: 45
Attached File  Funk.wav ( 3.51MB ) Number of downloads: 47
Attached File  3rd_song.mp4 ( 67.04MB ) Number of downloads: 47
Attached File  Refrein_idee_1.wav ( 6.61MB ) Number of downloads: 53
Attached File  Intro_idee_Apr_20_23_15_39.wav ( 3.85MB ) Number of downloads: 59
Attached File  Three_level_solo__beginner.wav ( 9.5MB ) Number of downloads: 50

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 20 2015, 07:05 PM
Post #27

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate, good stuff! I like the clean ones (refrein and intro). I think that these are very promising and should be continued! The other ones are also ok but I'm curious to see how you continue them, what direction they take. Feel free to post the progress of these ideas here to let me hep you with feedback.

The lesson is evolving ok but it obviously needs practice to polish all those phrases and licks, just keep going!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
post Mar 24 2015, 09:48 PM
Post #28

Learning Roadie

Hi Gabe,

The "Intro" idea is actually the inspiration for the inverted chords progression I made with Cosmin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJSTnLWTtgQ

But I should take some time to turn it into an actual song, preferably with lyrics as well...I still feels a bit like a guitar song to me smile.gif

Anyway,

I have finished another song, here it is: biggrin.gif

There is a V major, returning to a I again, and the song is in minor again! I guess that tells me a bit about myself and my preferences? smile.gif

In this case, the IV is major as well, not sure why that is.
Attached ImageAttached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 25 2015, 02:44 PM
Post #29

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Lester, great job with this one. It's cool to notice that the songs that you like more use similar concepts like minor tonalities, but with IV and V major chords. I already explained the reasons why this chords can appear when you analyzed previous songs, and the same is happening here. The V comes from E harmonic minor scale, while the IV is borrowed from E Dorian mode. The use of D# during the solo shows the use of E harmonic minor during the solo and it is surely used because V major is used in the progression.

About your musical idea, its really interesting, you should try to create some vocal melodies over it and record them, to start to see it as a vocal song and not only an instrumental guitar tune. What do you say? Can you try it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
post Mar 26 2015, 08:00 PM
Post #30

Learning Roadie

Right,

I remembered the V from harmonic minor, I forgot for a minute that the IV major was also happening in last song biggrin.gif

I can definitely try and record some vocals over it, tweak the song a bit here and there. Maybe the chords change a bit fast to create a vocals that are nice to listen to, but then again: I don't have to change the vocals every time a chord changes...that's what I usually tend to do smile.gif

I will try to come up with a basic structure, try some of the principles from the songs I analyzed. Stay tuned smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 27 2015, 12:48 AM
Post #31

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Lester, yeah! The IV also appeared before! and it's a very nice trick. I think that your plan sounds great. Try singing over the pre recorded guitar to put all your focus on the vocal melodies and forget about guitar playing for a moment. We didn't empathize the vocals analysis but it wouldn't be a bad idea to pay a bit of attention to what's happening in the songs that you analyzed regarding:

- Vocal melodies rhythm
- Use of silences
- Relation between chord changes and rhythm.
- Relation between melody notes and chords sounding.

You don't have to do a deep analysis but some attention on those things can bring new ideas.

Keep me updated.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
post Mar 30 2015, 08:48 AM
Post #32

Learning Roadie

Hi Gabe,

I think I understand most of it, except: how do you measure rhythm of vocal melodies? Do you mean the speed? or time signatures?
And also for the rhythm and chord changes...do you mean that the rhythm might change when a chord does?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 30 2015, 02:19 PM
Post #33

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Lester @ Mar 30 2015, 04:48 AM) *
Hi Gabe,

I think I understand most of it, except: how do you measure rhythm of vocal melodies? Do you mean the speed? or time signatures?
And also for the rhythm and chord changes...do you mean that the rhythm might change when a chord does?

I refer to notes duration, the figures used for melody's notes (whole, half, quarter, eight, sixteenth, triplets, silences).

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
post Mar 30 2015, 08:18 PM
Post #34

Learning Roadie

Got it, thanks! biggrin.gif

I think I'm going to let the song rest a little bit till next week, I have a few busy days left and I leave on Thursday for a long easter weekend with my girlfriend smile.gif

I hope I can manage to finish analyzing another song though, it shouldn't take too much longer. I don't think it's a good thing to try and rush songwriting. Am I right? tongue.gif I'll have some more time next week! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 31 2015, 06:40 PM
Post #35

Instructor
Group Icon

No, it's better if the process is natural. Unless you have a label asking for the album finished, there is no hurry, it's better to enjoy it. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
post Apr 8 2015, 10:34 PM
Post #36

Learning Roadie

Hi Gabe,

I've finished another song, instead of Neon by John Mayer, I opted for Stop this train, also by John Mayer...I like that one better smile.gif

It was a little bit confusing with the chords, I usually use an app for finding out the chord name, but these where somewhat complicated chords so the app gave a lot of possible chord names...inversions and stuff...and also there where a lot of single notes played in between with the chord, which made it harder. Anyway, here it is biggrin.gif

I am still working on the songwriting, I will upload my progress soon.

Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 9 2015, 03:35 PM
Post #37

Instructor
Group Icon

Great analysis! It's awesome to see how he stays on one key but uses lots of elements to make the progressions sound more interesting. The use of inversions and extended chords is the lesson learnt on this song. He adds lots of colors to simple major chord progressions thanks to this use of it.

You could use GMC lessons archive and theory board to explore more about this...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
post Apr 15 2015, 05:12 PM
Post #38

Learning Roadie

Hi Gabe,

I've been working on the songwriting assignment you mentioned and here is what I've got so far:

Attached File  Verse_and_Choru_with_lead.wav ( 12.03MB ) Number of downloads: 49

The sound of the acoustic guitar is a bit strange, but I had some trouble exporting a decent sound from guitar rig 5...I am not sure how to get it to sound more natural smile.gif

Basically the soundfile is an intro, verse and chorus...the F, G chord part at the end might be to return to the verse. I'm not sure if I will sing.
The lead guitar is probably going to be replaced by singing, but mostly the same melody.
I have to say that it's quite harder than I thought it would be...but hopefully that will improve with time smile.gif
The problem now mostly is that I get lost in the number of directions I could go...when I try a different chord progression or rhythm, it's a different song entirely. Than I jam for three hours and get a lot of ideas but I can't decide and end up with nothing rolleyes.gif

How do you write? any suggestions?
I kinda feel like I suck at this at the moment biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 16 2015, 03:49 PM
Post #39

Instructor
Group Icon

This is turning beautiful! smile.gif

Songs are born different and there is no an only way to get a song that we love when it's finished. I have composed lots of songs for my band and I could say that there are some songs that appear naturally by once, some others take time to be completed while others take lots of time and versions until I get the one that I like.

When I'm composed I let my intuition decide and if I have options to continue, I go for the one that I feel fits better, there is always time to discover that we were wrong, but in the progress we learn, and what's more important, we don't stuck / block. And this is important because many times, the idea that we have in mind and try isn't the right one to continue it, but it works as a creative bridge to get the right one. So keep moving is better than nothing.

Another thing that really helps is another person's opinion so if you have to ways to continue a part and you'r missed you can show both to a person in who you trust and know his opinion. Many times a "fresh mind" can hear and notice things that we don't while we are creating.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
post Apr 17 2015, 02:04 PM
Post #40

Learning Roadie

Right, that sounds logical smile.gif I tend to be very critical of initial ideas and that prevents me from expanding on them. I like the creative bridge concept!

I am still not too enthusiastic about the verse part, but I do really like the chorus...I will just keep on taking time every week to write and expand on it...as well as keeping analyzing the songs smile.gif

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 03:28 AM