Mesa Boogie Interactive Eq, Share your approach
Crazy_Diamond
Mar 3 2015, 11:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi guys,
I play a lot of guitar lately but unfortunately I don’t spend much time on GMC anymore.

For years I have looked everywhere on the Internet and I have always found that the community at GMC is the best one. cool.gif

I am a proud Mesa Boogie owner since a few month and geezz I like the experience. I had an incredible deal on an old Nomad 45 1X12. I have red a lot of rant about this amp but I think it deserves better than that. I love mine and I have been able to achieve about any tone I had in mind with it, I haven’t use it live or with a band yet but seeing how versatile it is I don’t think I will have any problem tonally. I don’t have a lot of experiences with other tube amps. Maybe it won’t do the new hardcore metal but it is great for about any thing else. I use it mostly for blues/rock and hard rock.

I had a bit of free time while traveling and I have looked on the Internet for some tricks to EQ Mesa amps since the knobs are interactive. I have already red my manual several times just to be sure I grasp everything since the knobs reacts differently. Each read had brought me something new.

I red a lot of stuff on the Internet and that made me wonder how people generally approach settings some tone on these amps. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

I’ll share my approach on dialing a good tone. I usually turn my presence, bass and mids all the way down. With my treble, gain and channel volume at 12 :00 I play with these 3 knobs until I find something I like. I then add some mids and bass and sometimes presence. It takes me less then 1 minute to dial a great sound. I don’t have a graphic EQ on this amp though. One of the biggest tricks is to be careful with the gain knob. After a certain point the sounds only gets crappier, I prefer the definition of notes and RARELY go past 3 :00. If I need more gain, I’ll try adding it by boosting my treble knob. Overdrive pedals with the gain low and the level high also helps getting a more aggressive sound.

Usually my settings looks like this :
Gain : 10:00-2 :00
Treble : 11 :00-1 :00
Mids : 9 :00-12 :00
Bass :10 :00-2 :00
Presence : 7 :00-12 :00

Maybe I can post a picture of my front panel when I arrive home.

I wanted to share with you my approach to Mesa Boogies and wonder how you guys do it. I hope this thread don’t come into a Mesa Boogie rant thread since I want to have constructive commentary and maybe help people if I can. I haven't find a good forum discussing the matters and I am sure that once again GMC can raise the Internet reputation biggrin.gif biggrin.gif .

Thanks for sharing !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Mar 4 2015, 12:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
I love Mesa rectifiers. Really are some wonderful tone beasts. You'll find that the EQ you use for practice settings are not the same as what you'll use for live settings, because of the tube saturation effect of turning up. It really boils down to personal taste. The manual will give you general guidelines on what aspect of the sound each low/mid/high affects, but in the end, it's best to play (or have someone else play) while you turn knobs for real-time sound feedback adjusting.

Where the speaker sits will also affect your tone. If your speaker is at your feet, the overall tone/sound will be much deeper (lower) than if the speaker were at ear-level, so be aware of that. This becomes a factor when you're mic'ing your cab for a performance. Unless you're playing a large venue, you may wish to invest in a hot-plate so you can turn up your master volume to get the tube saturation, without getting a melted by the volume smile.gif

Cheerios!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 4 2015, 01:29 AM
GMC:er
Well said!! smile.gif Getting something like a hot plate to provide the ability to really drive the amp is a really good option. Some folks just stick an overdrive in front as it's cheaper. Similar results but sounds more pedal than amp in that it impacts the tone rather than just driving the amp itself harder. Maybe do both and see which one or both you like better smile.gif

I use processors/plugins, but the Mesa Mark IIC+ emulation on my 11 rack is my fave of them all smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Mar 3 2015, 07:12 PM) *
I love Mesa rectifiers. Really are some wonderful tone beasts. You'll find that the EQ you use for practice settings are not the same as what you'll use for live settings, because of the tube saturation effect of turning up. It really boils down to personal taste. The manual will give you general guidelines on what aspect of the sound each low/mid/high affects, but in the end, it's best to play (or have someone else play) while you turn knobs for real-time sound feedback adjusting.

Where the speaker sits will also affect your tone. If your speaker is at your feet, the overall tone/sound will be much deeper (lower) than if the speaker were at ear-level, so be aware of that. This becomes a factor when you're mic'ing your cab for a performance. Unless you're playing a large venue, you may wish to invest in a hot-plate so you can turn up your master volume to get the tube saturation, without getting a melted by the volume smile.gif

Cheerios!

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Mar 4 2015, 01:54 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for those reply guys.

My question was more aimed at the method people use to dial in there sound on a Boogie. Since each time you move a knob by :30 you have to readjust all the other knobs I suppose people have different methodology for dialing there tone. I have just heard a clean riff on youtube and dial it on my amp in 10 seconds. After that I wanted to play rock/funk a la Frusciante and Boom!! Instant tone.

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Mar 3 2015, 06:12 PM) *
I love Mesa rectifiers. Really are some wonderful tone beasts.

I love Rectos sound. It is not the kind of amp I was hoping when I bought my Nomad but the rectos are my favorite heavy amp. It has to be well dialed because I heard people using this amp pretty badly.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 3 2015, 07:29 PM) *
Getting something like a hot plate to provide the ability to really drive the amp is a really good option.

I taught about getting a Weber attenuator for a while but I don't kno if it well worth the money. The THD plate are too expensive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 4 2015, 02:40 AM
I've had my .22 studio set about the same since the early 90s ...

Attached Image

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Mar 4 2015, 10:30 AM

Mesa EQ is setup a bit different. I know my old triple rectifier, when you turned the gain up you moved the bass/treble down a bit. Something to do with how it shapes the tone. I believe on the new Mark 5:25s the treble will add gain once it hits so high. The mid range adds a crazy boost after a certain point as well.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Mar 6 2015, 07:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
Gotcha - but I think I was addressing the fact that the sound you dial in at 2 on the volume knob will sound different at 6 on the knob (same settings).

I think the more experienced people are already jaded in their search for a sound - they already know the basic soundscape they are looking for, so they are EQ'ing towards that goal. It's trial and error til you get close enough, then you add pedals as the final touch.

Those who are trying to "find their tone" from scratch should probably set all the dials to noon high and then dive bomb the lows, then bring them up slowly, then rinse and repeat with the remaining knobs til their ears perk up. But I think basically you have to do it all by ear since you are ultimately the audience of your tone.

QUOTE (Crazy_Diamond @ Mar 3 2015, 04:54 PM) *

My question was more aimed at the method people use to dial in there sound on a Boogie. Since each time you move a knob by :30 you have to readjust all the other knobs I suppose people have different methodology for dialing there tone. I have just heard a clean riff on youtube and dial it on my amp in 10 seconds. After that I wanted to play rock/funk a la Frusciante and Boom!! Instant tone.

I love Rectos sound. It is not the kind of amp I was hoping when I bought my Nomad but the rectos are my favorite heavy amp. It has to be well dialed because I heard people using this amp pretty badly.

I taught about getting a Weber attenuator for a while but I don't kno if it well worth the money. The THD plate are too expensive.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 7 2015, 01:39 AM
Skip all that and just get a TUBE SCREAMER smile.gif Gets the same job done essentially and much cheaper. You can get a JOYO overdrive for $35 that sounds just like a screamer. I had one and it was nice smile.gif Problem solved!

QUOTE (Crazy_Diamond @ Mar 3 2015, 08:54 PM) *

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 7 2015, 07:07 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 6 2015, 04:39 PM) *
Skip all that and just get a TUBE SCREAMER smile.gif Gets the same job done essentially and much cheaper. You can get a JOYO overdrive for $35 that sounds just like a screamer. I had one and it was nice smile.gif Problem solved!

+1

*My Boogie is not one the super high-gain beasts. It's probably closer to a Mk.1. The tone remains really consistent no matter where I have the master volume.
I will use an OD with it sometimes and I find that a TS or TS variant sounds best.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 7 2015, 07:08 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:16 AM