4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Dream Pedal Board, Comments/Advice Please ...
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jul 26 2007, 01:15 AM
Post #41

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 26 2007, 12:26 AM) *
Ok, thanks for all your advice guys, I just re-read the intire thread and it all makes sense to me now.

I like the weeping demon idea despite its power consumption (i'll use a power supply), then its a question of what little else I can get away with if the Amp has a good tone (I see that now, I was blinded by multi effects before).

For an Amp, i'm thinking that maybe I'll get a smaller combo like a laney or Vox for decent practice levels, and to find my feet tube wise, and lust after the Bogner until my wife isn't looking ...

"Whats this new thing you have?"

"Oh that? It was real cheap, look, its so old it has tubes in it ..."

It might just work ...

If ever our wives meet and compare notes Andrew we are going to be in soooo much trouble laugh.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Jul 26 2007, 02:08 AM
Post #42

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 25 2007, 08:15 PM) *
If ever our wives meet and compare notes Andrew we are going to be in soooo much trouble laugh.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Rock
post Jul 26 2007, 04:21 AM
Post #43

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.285

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 22 2007, 04:27 PM) *
Rock, do you have a link for details on the pedal mods? I am onto electronics and this sounds like fun smile.gif
Listening now smile.gif

Sure. I had pretty good luck with this site.

http://www.indyguitarist.com/

Like I said, I was surprised how much better they sound. They have mods for all types of pedals.

+Quote Post
Rock
post Jul 26 2007, 04:36 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 1.285

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 22 2007, 08:36 PM) *
Hi Rock,
and thanks for the feedback biggrin.gif .

Completely agree about replacing the stock tubes that many valve amps come with. Simple but hugely effective upgrade. Can you give more details about the speaker upgrade please- I've not come across the Weber that you mention? I've gone with Celestion Vintage in the past. With you all the way on get the best sound possible first before you do anything to do it. I still tend to work off the idea of garbage in....

Andrew - sorry don't have the details to hand but there is a book about modding pedals btw I think it was written by Carl Martin and/or Chas Chandler. You might also be able to get the schematics of some mods off the internet.

Cheers,
Tony

Tony,

Here is the Weber speaker site https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/ You can listen to most of the speakers through this site.

I actually purchased mine from Eurotubes at https://www.eurotubes.com/ Both Bob and Jay are good guys and are very interested in making sure you get what you are looking for. They are great to deal with and they carry a few of the most popular so you don't have to wait for one since they are all built custom. I also purchased my JJ high gain preamps and 6L6GC power amps from these guys. They individually test and rate each and every tube they sell. Well worth it, since you can be very sure that you won't get a dud. As you may know, not all tubes are created equal, even if you purchase the exact same manufacturer and model. I have seen a few comparisons of the Weber speakers on other sites. They rate very high and compare to some of the more expensive Celestions.

Rock

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jul 26 2007, 12:45 PM
Post #45

Group Icon

Thanks for the links Rock - much appreciated.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Jul 26 2007, 04:05 PM
Post #46

Group Icon

Bump - I'm amazed that MickeM doesn't have an opinion on this one smile.gif

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 25 2007, 06:52 PM) *
BTW, what can antone tell me about the Laney L5T-112 - MickeM mentioned it in one of his posts - any idea how it might stack up against ab AC15?

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Jul 26 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #47

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 26 2007, 05:05 PM) *
Bump - I'm amazed that MickeM doesn't have an opinion on this one smile.gif

I have to read up on this one. I havn't been to a music store for a while and last time I looked Lionheart wasn't around.

Just got back after reading up on it - It's handwired and then tested "live" for quality before it's released. Has a couple of texture knobs which usualy is very useful for tuning in the right tone (highs and lows). Extension cabine connector, effects loop. And from what I can see it's the perfect amp for home practicing and recording. Put a mike in front of it, cranck it up and rock. This should make sparkling hot tube sounds. Blues, Jazz, Clean up to Steve Vai sort of sound should be possible.

On paper, I want wone for sure! Should get out and try one but I really don't know where to find one here. Check a few sites in Stockholm but noone advertise it. Sorry to rave and I don't want to sound pretentious (though I may well be) but sometimes things here is all about Marshall and Fender, one big seller is pushing Orange and Hiwatt and they have a Framus and a couple of other odd brands, but I they will ever get em sold. They have two Carvin heads in store that's been there since -05 and guess what, they are signed by Mr Steve Vai himself and not even that is enough to get a good amp sold (no extra charge). Ppl just don't care but rather get a Marshall MG because it says Marshall.
My Hughes and Kettner would sweep the floor with so many amps, but on the used marked they don't sell.
The other big musicstore are selling them but I don't know how it's going.

...sorry for the ranting.

If you get a chanse to play one, Do it! This may also be something for me so be sure to tell. I'd keep it at home, sell my Peavey and also get a Marshall (like everyone else) JVM or an ENGL. Then I will try to find an explanation to how selling one cheaper amp and getting two that both were more expenxsibe individually was a good deal. laugh.gif

Alas, I will go out during the weekend to have a look and try one if I can find it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Jul 27 2007, 12:21 AM
Post #48

Group Icon

Interesting, thanks. hey are a little scarce in the USA so I don't know if I can try one, but it seems like a great first tube amp, and I like the samples on the laney site.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jul 27 2007, 11:59 AM
Post #49

Group Icon

Read a review of the Laney LH in a UK guitar mag that was very positive and very in line with MickeM's comments. However despite Laney advertising them for a few months there were none in any of the 5 guitar shops that me and my little girl went in to early July. That included 1 Laney dealer. I suspect that they are probably only just hitting the shops in the UK about now so I'd be surprised if any have surfaced elsewhere around the world just yet.

Agree by the way that a lot of people can't see beyond a badge name (whether Marshall or whatever). It's a real shame as a lot of very good kit goes begging whilst people buy yet another whatever as all their mates play it. One culprit though is the service you (or maybe just me) get in a lot of guitar shops. Go in and ask to try out amps and they think you mean only one amp and can get terse when you say you want to try others. This just doesn't work for me as I want to try out and hear the difference between several amps not just goof about on one.

Same is true of guitars. Worst service I ever came across was a guitar shop in Liverpool (better not name it unsure.gif ). Asked to try out a Gibson and the response was 'only if you put the cash on the counter'. Now I know that it can be annoying when the shops deal with kids demanding to play the Jems etcs everyday resulting in scratches on the guitars finish and its devaluation. BUT it's not an excuse for rudeness and downright poor service. BTW I did have the cash on me but I turned around and went to a different shop for the Gibson model I was interested in and have never been back to that shop.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Aug 3 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #50

Group Icon

Thanks for the info Tony ...

I came across this recently:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?...umber=VINTAGE16

Anyone have any views on it? What would be the difference in tone between the pentode and triode modes? Looks sweet and pretty cheap too ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Aug 3 2007, 10:54 PM
Post #51

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 3 2007, 11:05 PM) *
Thanks for the info Tony ...

I came across this recently:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?...umber=VINTAGE16

Anyone have any views on it? What would be the difference in tone between the pentode and triode modes? Looks sweet and pretty cheap too ...

I don't know the amp itself. And pentode and triode is also a bit dim to me. Looking at the amp it has two EL84 which sums up to 25W. Pentonde and triode is a way of steering the tubes differently, maybe overdrive em with voltage or put in less, I don't know how it's done but I think it's all about getting early distortion but how the tone differs, don't know. I'm guessing the triode distort at lower volumes than the pentode. But chanses are I'm all wrong.
Pentode gives 16W and triode gives 5W. Does it cut that much? It's not the same things as a power soak though.
I'm sure someone can explain it to us tongue.gif

Here's a sweet competitor to that one, a recording amp oh so wonderful (adding options) laugh.gif
Click amps and then Studiotone

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Aug 4 2007, 12:28 AM
Post #52

Group Icon

QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 3 2007, 05:54 PM) *
I don't know the amp itself. And pentode and triode is also a bit dim to me. Looking at the amp it has two EL84 which sums up to 25W. Pentonde and triode is a way of steering the tubes differently, maybe overdrive em with voltage or put in less, I don't know how it's done but I think it's all about getting early distortion but how the tone differs, don't know. I'm guessing the triode distort at lower volumes than the pentode. But chanses are I'm all wrong.
Pentode gives 16W and triode gives 5W. Does it cut that much? It's not the same things as a power soak though.
I'm sure someone can explain it to us tongue.gif

Here's a sweet competitor to that one, a recording amp oh so wonderful (adding options) laugh.gif
Click amps and then Studiotone

Choices choices - that Koch is sweet smile.gif

I am definately gravitating towards a low output recording/practice amp, and I'll maybe add a monster later on.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Aug 4 2007, 12:56 AM
Post #53

Group Icon

Apologies all this is going to be technical but it's the only way I can explain it at the moment (too tried and too much beer - hic.)

Think we're talking about the power amp stage here - if so the pentode is generally more efficient than a triode and so can produce more power and less total harmonic distortion. Oddly pentode power amps are often subjectively seen as harder/harsher tone wise then a triode - maybe because when it does distort it goes into hard clipping and produces a harder high end distortion that is less musical than a triode (at least to me).

So a triode will produce less watts for the same amount of voltage applied but may subjectively sound more musical than a pentode where all other aspects of the amp are the same.

Triode/pentode is btw a way of describing the 'wiring' of the tube - three elements in a triode (anode, cathode, control grid) and five in the pentode (anode, cathode, control grid, screen and supressor). Similarly there are diodes (two elements) and tetrodes (four). There's also a thing called ultralinear which is a specific way of using a pentode which is cheaper to manufacture than a straight up pentode circuit.

After this you're then into class A vs class AB (i and ii) vs class B vs class C mode of operation.

Short answer most of us want though is that subjectively most people regard triode full class A as the most musical sound.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Aug 4 2007, 01:06 AM
Post #54

Group Icon

Great response, thanks Tony - I understand the physics of valves but I am totally ignorant about how they respond in a guitar amp, so that was useful smile.gif

I'm back at Bogners site looking at the Duende now ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Aug 4 2007, 01:43 AM
Post #55

Group Icon

MP3s of the Duende sound good Andrew - did you check out the metropolis samples as well? They sound good also.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Aug 4 2007, 01:52 AM
Post #56

Group Icon

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 3 2007, 08:43 PM) *
MP3s of the Duende sound good Andrew - did you check out the metropolis samples as well? They sound good also.

Cheers,
Tony

Dammit, they all sound good ! To a large extent I think I prefer the sound of the amps that have music clips I really like, which is probably leading me astray.

Still like the Laney Lionheart as well ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Chaz
post Aug 4 2007, 01:53 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 1.833

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 21 2007, 07:06 PM) *
Wow, that JVM 410 does look sweet ... and the reviews really talk up the clean channel.

I just bought with a new 4 x 12 cabinet a few weeks ago and it so different from my Mesa Boogie Triple Rec. Having difficulty getting dialed in, but it seems to be very versatile.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Aug 4 2007, 01:56 AM
Post #58

Group Icon

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 4 2007, 02:52 AM) *
Dammit, they all sound good ! To a large extent I think I prefer the sound of the amps that have music clips I really like, which is probably leading me astray.

Still like the Laney Lionheart as well ...

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif . Yeah me too but the reverse often has most effect - I really get annoyed with video demos if the guitarist is naff or has bad taste in clothes or whatever laugh.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Aug 4 2007, 09:53 AM
Post #59

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 4 2007, 01:56 AM) *
Apologies all this is going to be technical but it's the only way I can explain it at the moment (too tried and too much beer - hic.)

Think we're talking about the power amp stage here - if so the pentode is generally more efficient than a triode and so can produce more power and less total harmonic distortion. Oddly pentode power amps are often subjectively seen as harder/harsher tone wise then a triode - maybe because when it does distort it goes into hard clipping and produces a harder high end distortion that is less musical than a triode (at least to me).

So a triode will produce less watts for the same amount of voltage applied but may subjectively sound more musical than a pentode where all other aspects of the amp are the same.

Triode/pentode is btw a way of describing the 'wiring' of the tube - three elements in a triode (anode, cathode, control grid) and five in the pentode (anode, cathode, control grid, screen and supressor). Similarly there are diodes (two elements) and tetrodes (four). There's also a thing called ultralinear which is a specific way of using a pentode which is cheaper to manufacture than a straight up pentode circuit.

After this you're then into class A vs class AB (i and ii) vs class B vs class C mode of operation.

Short answer most of us want though is that subjectively most people regard triode full class A as the most musical sound.

Cheers,
Tony

Thanks for a great answer! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Aug 4 2007, 10:21 AM
Post #60

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 4 2007, 01:28 AM) *
Choices choices - that Koch is sweet smile.gif

I am definately gravitating towards a low output recording/practice amp, and I'll maybe add a monster later on.

I belive that may be a good idea. Even a small 5W amp can be a monster cool.gif so if you get the amp or the right amp for you I think you'd be satisfied for years to come. It's likely (knowing you will be using it for practice and recording) you'd be more satisfied with a 1-20W amp you can use to it's full extent than a 50+ watt beast you'd be running at volume 1.

Welcome to my world ohmy.gif I'm going completely mad myself from all the coices and different approaches on what I want to use it for.

See you at the asylum!

EDIT: So when I was browsing for a hotplate for myself I ran into an absolute beauty!!! THD Univalve. Easy exchangable tube without rebiasing.
I havn't checked the price yet.. I don't think I dare to...

Soundclips
Univalve amp

This post has been edited by MickeM: Aug 4 2007, 02:34 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2017 - 08:48 PM