Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bendy Frets On Nick Kellie's Guitar
Arpeggio
post Mar 24 2015, 12:06 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 15.994

Why are his 1st and 2nd frets bent on the G string and B string. I thought it might be distortion from the video but that guitar is the same on all videos.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-scales-part-2/

--------------------
Founder of new startup social network site that brings the good aspects of MySpace, Twitter and FaceBook together.

MyTwitFace.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Mar 24 2015, 01:06 PM
Post #2

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.410

Those frets are like that intentionally. I think there is a name for those guitar necks which have that kind of frets? The frets are bent to compensate for tuning accuracy and limitations of regular frets in terms of intonation of the instrument and should (in theory) provide more precise intonation across the fretboard.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Mar 24 2015, 01:24 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4.733

if you notice when you open tune a guitar( on the G string) if you press the first 2 frets( as these are the biggest problem areas) the string stretches slightly and thus the note is sharp.Once you get past the 2nd fret tuning gets much better and you dont have as much problem.There are guitars that have it allover the whole neck for more perfectness huh.gif .To save money just these first 2 are done

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Mar 24 2015, 02:36 PM
Post #4

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

Exactly, this is an intonation compensation for the open chords. It basically means open chords will sound more in tune than on a regular guitar.

If you want it all over the neck there is something called "true temperament":
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=53264

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Mar 24 2015, 02:36 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 17.304

+1 to the above posts.
I'll add that I'm pretty sure that's a Frank Gambale model Yamaha.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Arpeggio
post Mar 24 2015, 09:52 PM
Post #6

Ah I guessed it might have something to do with intonation. What jtscreen pointed out I think that issue is severe with a steel string acoustic because the action of the strings is slightly higher so you'd need to push any string further down to the 1st or 2nd fret.

The TrueTemprement guitars look good. Like a guitar that is underwater but only its frets, not the guitar! I would imagine if you put one underwater the guitar would look wobbly while the frets appear straight.

I'm guessing they aren't the norm because of issues you'd have playing string bends on them? I guess this might be more suited to Acoustic guitars with which you don't bend strings as much.

--------------------
Founder of new startup social network site that brings the good aspects of MySpace, Twitter and FaceBook together.

MyTwitFace.

+Quote Post
Mith
post Mar 25 2015, 01:37 PM
Post #7

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.821

http://www.truetemperament.com/

Thats it there. Its generally done across the whole neck. The way frets are laid out on a guitar arn't exact, its more of a compromise. If you plug your guitar in a tuner and play all the notes even if you play then with all the right pressure some will be slightly sharp and some will be slightly flat.

One trick is if you have a tenancy to play in a certain part of the neck you can actually set your intonation to be even in that spot. But let it be known this has a tendency to make it worse in other parts of the neck hence 12th fret in best (And I believe ears have evolved to be use to these micro tonal differences given how long guitar heavy music has been around.

One more thing to add, you can get multiscale and fanned fretted guitars (both the same thing). Alot of builders say this improves intonation which is a complete lie. The changes in this are string tension (bass strings feel firm and treble side still bends easy) and tone since alot of tone is derived from scale length (part of the reason fenders and Gibson sound different)

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Mar 25 2015, 02:51 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 17.304

Also, with the 'True Temperament' fingerboard(s), they don't do stainless steel frets so when you need a re-dress, crown or god forbid a re-fret ... you're gonna spend a lot of time (and money) on that project.
They've been around for years, but there's a reason you don't see them too much 'in the wild'.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Arpeggio
post Mar 25 2015, 11:38 PM
Post #9

I guess the 12 fret is the best as the half way point between the bridge and nut as far as I can tell.

I wondered how they would fret that. Would be tricky to cut a holding groove in the fretboard to match the curves of each fret! Alot simpler with standard frets and a straight groove.

--------------------

MyTwitFace.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2017 - 05:37 PM