> Suggestion For Course
Phil66
post Mar 26 2015, 10:21 PM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Request to admin wink.gif

How about a course on effects use. I have been working in the Eye Opener Collab and Kris gave me some pointers for my effects. I would never have known about these little tricks.
Just the basics for setting each of the most common effect and how to use them along side each other would be great.
Of course, if you could base the course around the Boss ME80 that would be awesome because I have one wink.gif I also have Amplitube.
Just an idea but I think it would help. Most student will have a couple of pedals or a multi effect and won't be getting the best out of it.

Thanks

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Mar 27 2015, 05:46 PM
Post #2

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.410

Hi Phil - thanks a lot for your feedback and suggestions.
Sounds interesting smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 27 2015, 08:34 PM
Post #3

Thanks Bogdan,

I think many students have distortion, chorus, delay + many others but don't really know how to get the best from them, we all know how to turn the knobs to get long delays, high gain, etc BUT, as Kris showed me, to make it part of your tone without sounding like an effect is a different matter. Thinking of food, a pedal doesn't have to be the main flavour, a bit of salt here, a bit of pepper there, a little oregano, a little cumin, all combine to make ONE taste without actually identifying on single element. It would be nice to have guidance in how to apply herbs and spices in a subtle way to add an overall sound.
Obviously effects have their place to dominate the sound if that's what you want but subtle colouration can be very very sweet wink.gif
Compressors are greatly misunderstood too, I know I don't get them at all unsure.gif

Hope this makes sense smile.gif

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 27 2015, 08:56 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Mar 27 2015, 10:42 PM
Post #4

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

This is a cool idea - but the tricky part (as always) lies in creating a lesson that is generic enough for everyone ( people have different softwares and different vision of how they want to sound) yet still useful.

However this could be more of collab style thing, is that what you were thinking? Basically a collab where the sole purpose is for people to dial in a cool sound they're happy with.

That is definitely doable and actually a very cool idea.

--------------------

+Quote Post
enlo22
post Mar 27 2015, 10:58 PM
Post #5

Learning Guitar Hero

Member No.: 14.670

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 27 2015, 09:42 PM) *
This is a cool idea - but the tricky part (as always) lies in creating a lesson that is generic enough for everyone ( people have different softwares and different vision of how they want to sound) yet still useful.

However this could be more of collab style thing, is that what you were thinking? Basically a collab where the sole purpose is for people to dial in a cool sound they're happy with.

or maybe having a thread specifically designed for settings or pedals.amps etc.. ? or something like that

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 28 2015, 10:54 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 27 2015, 09:42 PM) *

Thanks Kris,
I hadn't thought of it being a collab but that would be good if we knew how to get the most from our gear in the first place tongue.gif I was thinking more of a workshop type thing where each effect is covered showing the most common features of each. I know units vary but there are some features, like feedback for instance that I would think most delay units have or maybe some units have it called something else. Obviously there are gong to be some pedals that have unique features but that can't really be covered.
The advice you gave me in the eye opening collab was great smile.gif that's what sparked this idea wink.gif
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Mar 28 2015, 10:41 PM
Post #7

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Phil - sorry, a workshop was the word I should have used. I think we're on the same page, and we should do this.

Basically a thread where everyone would try to get a cool tone over [the same!?] backing track. We could then help each other out to get the best possible out of the gear/software we're using.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 28 2015, 11:35 PM
Post #8

Spot on Kris biggrin.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Jim S.
post Mar 29 2015, 02:44 AM
Post #9

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 18.014

I'm reminded of watching guitarists fool with their knobs and stomp on pedals and only hear small differences. Seemed like a waste of time, get to playing. When I wanted to stomp on a pedal I wanted it to knock my head clean off and then dump salt into my shoulder hole. Seriously.... I was at a stage in my playing that I couldn't think about the gear as I could barely play.

Nowadays I'm taking more time thinking about how small a adjustment or effect can go a long way. I'd definitely benefit from a workshop like this!

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 12:04 PM