> What Are You Practicing Now?
MisterM
post Apr 17 2015, 11:39 AM
Post #21

Experienced Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 20.608

Hello GMC

I found an almost identical tone that "Piotr" in "funky satch" .
I'm really happy , it's much more pleasant to listen to.
I set the gain on low , the high adjustment was too powerful .
I take a lot of time to find , I think Guitar Rig is more effective than what people say.

I made a video soon. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by MisterM: Apr 17 2015, 11:39 AM

--------------------
I'm French, i learn English.....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 17 2015, 04:24 PM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 13 2015, 05:02 PM) *
I am also trying to make every practice session different - I find that it keeps me more motivated. So I'll try to come up with a new backing for every session, with a different bpm/feel/tonality. This also improves my production/software skills which is kinda needed since I often get stuck when writing songs.

This sounds great! It's like practicing and making your own music at the same time. I'll experiment with this in the near future and will be back with my thoughts and results. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
MisterM
post Apr 18 2015, 04:06 PM
Post #23

Experienced Tone Seeker

Hi Gab

For the moment I work the rythm part, I want to show you because I need your advices.
Am I on the way ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 18 2015, 05:12 PM
Post #24

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi MisterM, this is evolving well but it off course need more practice to sound more connected with the backing's groove. You don't have important timing issues but there are details here and there that make your take lack the funky groove. Try to feel the overall rhythm inside while you play. Close your eyes, move your head with the groove and let your right hand dance with the music. smile.gif

Also, be careful with hammer on and pull off timing since there is where the problem become more notorious.

Keep on practicing, this is on the right track.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MisterM
post Apr 18 2015, 05:55 PM
Post #25

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 18 2015, 04:12 PM) *
Hi MisterM, this is evolving well but it off course need more practice to sound more connected with the backing's groove. You don't have important timing issues but there are details here and there that make your take lack the funky groove. Try to feel the overall rhythm inside while you play. Close your eyes, move your head with the groove and let your right hand dance with the music. smile.gif

Also, be careful with hammer on and pull off timing since there is where the problem become more notorious.

Keep on practicing, this is on the right track.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 18 2015, 04:12 PM) *
Salut MisterM ,

La situation évolue bien, mais tout ça a besoin de plus de plus de pratique pour être en accord avec le BT.
Vous n'avez pas de gros problèmes au niveau de la synchronisation , mais il ya des détails ici et là qui font que votre vidéo manque
de groove et de funk . Essayez de sentir le rythme en vous pendant que vous jouez . Fermez les yeux , bougez la tête avec le
groove et laissez votre main droite danser avec la musique . smile.gif

Aussi, soyez prudent avec les hammer on et Pull-off car ça risque de devenir un problème .

Continuez à pratiquer , vous êtes sur ​​la bonne voie .

Hi gab, I post the traduction with my french friends

Thank you for advices..

Indeed , my right hand has to improve in terms of flexibility. I'm going to work some time to honor the Piotr's lesson
I would be careful to hammer on and pull of ... I'll try to play with my eyes closed and I'll move my head as you say.
I will do another video in one week to see the progress.

I continue to work my sweeping and legato but I take my time, it is a long and rigorous work

Thank you Gab

This post has been edited by MisterM: Apr 18 2015, 06:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Apr 18 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #26

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 17 2015, 04:24 PM) *
This sounds great! It's like practicing and making your own music at the same time. I'll experiment with this in the near future and will be back with my thoughts and results. smile.gif

Cool - looking forward to hear how it works out for you.

I think the key is to remove all predicability in the practice sessions, if the goal is to improve in unpredictable ways.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MisterM
post Apr 20 2015, 03:48 PM
Post #27

Experienced Tone Seeker

Hi GMC

A new take "Funcky Satch" solo section only
I decreased the gain , I think the tone is better,
I must to work again to be tight in time.

I still need time for the rhythm section . I work but it's hard

New take

Old Take

This post has been edited by MisterM: Apr 20 2015, 03:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 20 2015, 10:19 PM
Post #28

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi MisterM! Great update!

I also think that the new one has a better tone. It's cleaner without losing sustain, and the eq fits better with the backing, great job! About your playing, you tend to go before the beat on most of the licks, sometimes it's more notorious, while sometimes it's slighter but the problems keeps in most of the lesson, so try to think it slowly, and to be patient while you play the phrases.

On the other hand, I think that your playing sounds fluently and your vibrato is consistent on this one, so focus on timing and you'll master this one.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MisterM
post Apr 21 2015, 06:35 AM
Post #29

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi)
Hi MisterM! Great update!

I also think that the new one has a better tone. It's cleaner without losing sustain, and the eq fits better with the backing, great job!

Hi Gab, thank for your interest.
I like tone, it isn't the same that Piotr, but it looks a little more than the old.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi)
About your playing, you tend to go before the beat on most of the licks, sometimes it's more notorious, while sometimes it's slighter but the problems keeps in most of the lesson, so try to think it slowly, and to be patient while you play the phrases.

Before being registered with the GMC, I did not see that.
Today I contains the problem. Whether on legato , sweeping and other techniques, I must work to be tighter in time.
I play in slow motion to correct this.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi)
On the other hand, I think that your playing sounds fluently and your vibrato is consistent on this one, so focus on timing and you'll master this one.

Ok I'll focus on timing

Thank Gab

This post has been edited by MisterM: Apr 21 2015, 06:50 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MisterM
post Apr 21 2015, 05:47 PM
Post #30

Experienced Tone Seeker

Hi

A new take "full leson"
This is not good, the rythm section is out of beat.... But I needed to see what happens .

I understood my mistake about the rythm part.
When, I play with Piotr, I play after the beat on early part 2....

I work and I'll make a new take when I ll be ready

biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by MisterM: Apr 23 2015, 05:07 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
post Apr 22 2015, 11:33 PM
Post #31

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 18.014

Hey Gab, I'm working a little different lately. I'm working on some very tough lessons here and using that practice to get prepared for Band Practice and writing music in a live setting. It's working great for me, confidence is up and creatively peaking. Our band tried out a bassist last night and it was amazing. Drums and guitar is hard alone, that bass freed everything up for me. I could play guitar solos finally and I didn't need to play constantly. Even though I played constantly, lol

I haven't had that much fun in lord knows how long and I have never had feelings like that sitting at my desk and playing with headphones.

In the below audio it is an semi edit of the practice. I only removed the silent parts and did not edit further but I did add comments as markers where I felt some real musical happenings. There are some wrong notes and timing but for the first time playing it felt really good.
https://soundcloud.com/division-bridge/aaron-is-eric

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 23 2015, 08:25 PM
Post #32

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (MisterM @ Apr 21 2015, 01:47 PM) *
Hi

A new take "full leson"
This is not good, the rythm section is out of beat.... But I needed to see what happens .

I understood my mistake about the rythm part.
When, I play with Piotr, I play after the beat on early part 2....

I work and I'll make a new take when I ll be ready

biggrin.gif

Hi MisterM! Yeah, this lesson is slowly progressing. As you already know, you need to adjust timing on the rhythm section and you also need to polish a bit more timing, picking and bending on the solo section. Please keep on working focusing on polishing details and share a new take in a few days. Ok?

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Apr 22 2015, 07:33 PM) *
Hey Gab, I'm working a little different lately. I'm working on some very tough lessons here and using that practice to get prepared for Band Practice and writing music in a live setting. It's working great for me, confidence is up and creatively peaking. Our band tried out a bassist last night and it was amazing. Drums and guitar is hard alone, that bass freed everything up for me. I could play guitar solos finally and I didn't need to play constantly. Even though I played constantly, lol

I haven't had that much fun in lord knows how long and I have never had feelings like that sitting at my desk and playing with headphones.

In the below audio it is an semi edit of the practice. I only removed the silent parts and did not edit further but I did add comments as markers where I felt some real musical happenings. There are some wrong notes and timing but for the first time playing it felt really good.
https://soundcloud.com/division-bridge/aaron-is-eric

Hi mate! This is a very interesting approach to practice! You found creativity and motivation at the same time, that's definitely the way to go. I've checked some random parts of your practice and I can see how this workout will help you to develop you own voice on guitar. I'm really curious to see how this continues evolving so please keep me updated about your practice. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MisterM
post Apr 24 2015, 10:29 AM
Post #33

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 23 2015, 07:25 PM) *
Hi MisterM! Yeah, this lesson is slowly progressing. As you already know, you need to adjust timing on the rhythm section and you also need to polish a bit more timing, picking and bending on the solo section. Please keep on working focusing on polishing details and share a new take in a few days. Ok?

Hi Gab

I understood the rhythm part . I play correctly 80% to 85%.
Beyond it becomes harder, because the picking sequence of the E string on 2d part is very speed...
I'm working, I 'll make a video soon with a really progress.

Thank you

This post has been edited by MisterM: Apr 24 2015, 10:29 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 24 2015, 08:23 PM
Post #34

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (MisterM @ Apr 24 2015, 06:29 AM) *
Hi Gab

I understood the rhythm part . I play correctly 80% to 85%.
Beyond it becomes harder, because the picking sequence of the E string on 2d part is very speed...
I'm working, I 'll make a video soon with a really progress.

Thank you

Ok! I'll be waiting for the new video. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Jim S.
post Apr 26 2015, 02:53 AM
Post #35

Learning Rock Star

Hey thanks Gab! Here is a cleaned up version of a little groove I wrote for a future song. There is use of an octave pedal which I think sounds real ballzy. Anywho, it was hard to tell from that live recording but this is what I'd like to play live.

https://instagram.com/p/165OXIHSVp/

Oh btw, what are you working on?

Hey thanks Gab! Here is a cleaned up version of a little groove I wrote for a future song. There is use of an octave pedal which I think sounds real ballzy. Anywho, it was hard to tell from that live recording but this is what I'd like to play live.

https://instagram.com/p/165OXIHSVp/

Oh btw, what are you working on?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 26 2015, 03:07 PM
Post #36

Instructor
Group Icon

Wou! That's a very promising groove Jim! I like it. It's rocker, old school but has also a modern feel. Do you have ideas on how to continue this one?

What I'm working on?

We are recording 5 songs for an EP for my band, so I've beend working on the composition, production and recording of this new music. We are close to finish it. We are also doing many gigs nowadays, I we have a very important the next saturday. It's at an important hall at Buenos Aires and we are the only band playing, we will play new songs from the EP for the first time and a long show that we are preparing.

If you are curious, here you can see some pics from the guitar session: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...5428&type=3

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Jim S.
post Apr 26 2015, 10:20 PM
Post #37

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 26 2015, 10:07 AM) *
Wou! That's a very promising groove Jim! I like it. It's rocker, old school but has also a modern feel. Do you have ideas on how to continue this one?

What I'm working on?

We are recording 5 songs for an EP for my band, so I've beend working on the composition, production and recording of this new music. We are close to finish it. We are also doing many gigs nowadays, I we have a very important the next saturday. It's at an important hall at Buenos Aires and we are the only band playing, we will play new songs from the EP for the first time and a long show that we are preparing.

If you are curious, here you can see some pics from the guitar session: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...5428&type=3

Those Pictures make me jealous, it looks like so much fun writing and playing like that AND with all that gear! I wish you guys the best.

I have a few ideas and wrote a few parts in my Daw using my keyboard I just tapped out some drums and as they are not ideal it gives my drummer an idea of the parts. What do you think about the harmony and do you have any suggestions?

Heres is the take with NO Drums which sounds so much better since my drum programming skills are weak....
https://soundcloud.com/division-bridge/wormurging-no-drums

https://soundcloud.com/division-bridge/wormurging-2

This post has been edited by Jim S.: Apr 28 2015, 05:39 PM

+Quote Post
dcz702
post May 6 2015, 10:47 PM
Post #38

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 17.838

ive been practicing soloing using sweep picking and arpeggios.
i really like bullet for my valantine and when i was listening to them on a drive i listened close to there solos and thought what better way to practice seeps and arpegios than learning some BFV, lots of there songs use this technique and they arent so damn fast like yngwie malmsteen, i can actually learn BFM tunes fairly quikly with practice

+Quote Post
Guitar God
post May 8 2015, 01:45 AM
Post #39

GMC:er

Member No.: 20.951

I'm currently working on Stratovarius - Stratosphere. I think it's an excellent song to learn and practice with and it sounds awesome... Working on my speed... I'm guessing the best way is to play slow enough, using a metronome, for you to master it and then increase the metronome a tiny bit at a time(maybe +1 a day or something)...What do you think?

Also working on sweep picking and tapping techniques. I can't seem to get my taps to sound good through the speakers for some reason. It sounds kinda dull and quiet for some reason...

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 8 2015, 03:59 PM
Post #40

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Apr 26 2015, 06:20 PM) *
Those Pictures make me jealous, it looks like so much fun writing and playing like that AND with all that gear! I wish you guys the best.

I have a few ideas and wrote a few parts in my Daw using my keyboard I just tapped out some drums and as they are not ideal it gives my drummer an idea of the parts. What do you think about the harmony and do you have any suggestions?

Heres is the take with NO Drums which sounds so much better since my drum programming skills are weak....
https://soundcloud.com/division-bridge/wormurging-no-drums

https://soundcloud.com/division-bridge/wormurging-2

Hi Jim, I like the song. The riff is interesting and the chord progression used as verse is also cool. I feel that it's lacking an extra section, something different that could work as the chorus, or maybe, if you prefer to see the riff as the chorus, a part C, a bridge close to the end that let you create a more "chorus" style melody, something catchier. Maybe that wasn't your idea but it's what I feel would make this one cooler to hear.

The drums help as reference, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to continue practicing drum programming to be able to make your demos and ideas clearer. A good thing to practice this is programming songs from other artists, this is a great training that helped me a lot in the past. I used to record backing tracks for singers, and this made me analyze how all the instruments fit together to arrange a song.

QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 6 2015, 06:47 PM) *
ive been practicing soloing using sweep picking and arpeggios.
i really like bullet for my valantine and when i was listening to them on a drive i listened close to there solos and thought what better way to practice seeps and arpegios than learning some BFV, lots of there songs use this technique and they arent so damn fast like yngwie malmsteen, i can actually learn BFM tunes fairly quikly with practice

Cool! I really like this band. Are you planning to record some cover videos? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Guitar God @ May 7 2015, 09:45 PM) *
I'm currently working on Stratovarius - Stratosphere. I think it's an excellent song to learn and practice with and it sounds awesome... Working on my speed... I'm guessing the best way is to play slow enough, using a metronome, for you to master it and then increase the metronome a tiny bit at a time(maybe +1 a day or something)...What do you think?

Also working on sweep picking and tapping techniques. I can't seem to get my taps to sound good through the speakers for some reason. It sounds kinda dull and quiet for some reason...

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You're on the right track mate. That's exactly what we usually recommend to everybody here. It's very important to slow things down and practice using slower backings and metronome. There is a cool software called "Amazing Slow Downer" which is a killer tool for slowing down songs, creating loops for practice, and things like that. If you can get it, learning songs will become even easier and more enjoyable.

About your tapping, is it possible to see a video of you playing it to check the issue?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2017 - 01:39 AM