Reply to this topicStart new topic
> One Pickup Guitar - Tips Wanted!
KenA
post Apr 10 2015, 10:25 AM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 18.625

I do agree with the limitations of a single pickup guitar and although I think max of 2 pups would be enough for me, at the same time I think I should consider the HSS config at some time ... but a humbucker on the neck, probably not?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Apr 10 2015, 05:30 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

I would suggest owning an HSS guitar at some point, just like owning a single pickup guitar, it's worth doing. Each is it's own beast. smile.gif

You can get two humbuckers as long as they can be coil tapped you can still get wads of tone variation smile.gif My least fave configuration is two humuckers that are not splittable. It seriously restricts the tone options IMHO.

The middle pickup in HSS or HSH can be paired with the neck pickup single coil or tapped humbucker and the result is a really killer tone that you have to hear to believe. THe pick response is enhanced and the warm tone is great.

QUOTE (KenA @ Apr 10 2015, 05:25 AM) *
I do agree with the limitations of a single pickup guitar and although I think max of 2 pups would be enough for me, at the same time I think I should consider the HSS config at some time ... but a humbucker on the neck, probably not?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Apr 10 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

Currently my guitars wiring; http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/attachm...mp;d=1405057232

I can't be happier smile.gif pickups that are mid to low output or the dimarzio air stuff sound specially convincing when split/parallel on clean sounds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
KenA
post Apr 10 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 18.625

Wow, now I'm getting toward the HSS style because I already can 'kind' of emulate the single pickup guitar as long as I don't use the neck one. I understand that it's not strictly the same because the magnets of the neck pickup can interfere in the overall string vibration, but...

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Apr 10 2015, 08:34 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 17.304

A HSS Strat is one of my main axes ...

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Apr 12 2015, 07:17 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

If you go with HSS you can always add a humbucker in the neck that fits in a single space slot and can be coil tapped to give single coil tones. Lots of folks go this route at some point smile.gif Even with stock hss, you can pair both single coil pickups using the 5 way switch to beef up the sound a bit and still have a single coil vibe.

Attached Image
QUOTE (KenA @ Apr 10 2015, 03:09 PM) *
Wow, now I'm getting toward the HSS style because I already can 'kind' of emulate the single pickup guitar as long as I don't use the neck one. I understand that it's not strictly the same because the magnets of the neck pickup can interfere in the overall string vibration, but...

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 08:06 PM