> I'm Back!, And with tendonitis...
Chris S.
post Apr 25 2015, 03:19 AM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 12.988

Heh guys!

I've been away for a while - in January I was diagnosed with a nice big ole case of wrist tendonitis (picking hand). sad.gif

Perks of being a guitar player / bicycle technician / firearm enthusiast.

It happened from repetitive strains from work (over torquing my wrist to tighten/loosen nuts and bolts). I originally though it was just another sprain but after about 3 months of pain I bit the bullet and went to see a doctor (no health insurance so it's always been either a band aid or man-up).

One of the perks is that it is essentially not treatable only manageable - we can put a man on the moon but inflamed tendons are beyond the human capability rolleyes.gif

Playing doesn't cause the pain - work causes the pain and when I'm in pain from work I can't play for too long without having to put the guitar down.

I would quit my job but the whole money to pay bills thing kind of prevents that - two more years of college but who knows what the damage will be by then?

What would you guys do in my position? Do any of you have tendonitis as well?

I've been doing ice baths for my wrist and forearm and pretty much eating NSAIDs like candy but it's only a temporary fix until I go to work again - tried wearing a brace but it hasn't done anything.

I guess what I am trying to say is life can be cruel tongue.gif ... sad.gif

P.S. I missed you guys - hopefully can I jump into the next Collab or something

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Apr 26 2015, 10:34 PM
Post #2

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

I am very sorry to hear this Jim.

I am trying to think what I would do in this situation, and my #1 priority would probably be to stop with whatever physical activity is causing this, as there is a major risk it will get substantially worse and therefore give you even more problems.

To do so - I would probably spend all the extra time I had to try to find an alternative income, or a workaround while keeping your current job (other than NSAID).

We want to keep you playing guitar for a long time so I have my fingers crossed you will be able to find a long-term solution to this. Please consider that keeping up with the physical activity your body so clearly is signaling it can not handle, will have disastrous effects.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Apr 26 2015, 10:57 PM
Post #3

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

A friend of mine who is a guitar teacher in a college has it. There is actually an operation but its not a cure, probably if you get worse after the operation you'll feel like now.

He used the brace everyday for like 6 months, after that he still uses sometimes when he feels tension so don't give up on that and get used to it so bad you must feel naked when not wearing it smile.gif

But after a year he finally started playing regularly, before that he played only when he had to for the students. Maybe you can get used to use the left hand at least for basic movements to continue your job?

Also don't quit guitar as there are a gazillion things to play or practice with lesser picking, I guess its all about figuring/adapting different ways to continue rather than quitting.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 26 2015, 10:58 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post Apr 27 2015, 02:05 AM
Post #4

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I was reading about the surgery but like you said it's only a temporary solution. The brace I have is a bit too big and allows me to much movement in my wrist so I think I'm going to invest in a better one (I'm a super slim dude so a small brace is even too big tongue.gif )

The job part is the tricky one - I'm working 30-40hrs a week part time to pay for school and all my bills at a pretty decent wage so working anywhere else right now would mean taking a huge pay/hour cut dry.gif

Until then it's just braces, anti-inflammatory drugs, and ice buckets rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 27 2015, 07:06 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

I'm sorry about this mate. I understand your situation and I think that each of us has different priorities so what I would do in your case is maybe totally different to what you'd do. In my case, playing the guitar is a main priority so if I would be in your place, as Kris said, I would search for another kind of job, or income and if this situation makes me slow down / stop college I would do it.

I feel that college can wait if your health at risk, but it's just my opinion. Follow your heart. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Jim S.
post Apr 27 2015, 10:54 PM
Post #6

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 18.014

First of all I'm sorry to hear your position and being a car tech for 16 years gives me threats on my health always. When I was younger I took no caution with my safety and would regularly use my palms and forearms as hammers. At one point I couldn't even tie my shoes. Last year I started getting pretty bad pains and it's always in the back of my mind. The fear of loosing my hands ability to play guitar or support my family.

My Wife's mom had tendinitis from typing and she says after her surgery it was cured. Now I know it may not work but as long as there is no negative reasons to get the surgery, it might be worth a shot.

I wish you the best.

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post Apr 28 2015, 12:03 AM
Post #7

Thanks Gab!

Much to consider, indeed.

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Apr 27 2015, 09:54 PM) *
First of all I'm sorry to hear your position and being a car tech for 16 years gives me threats on my health always. When I was younger I took no caution with my safety and would regularly use my palms and forearms as hammers. At one point I couldn't even tie my shoes. Last year I started getting pretty bad pains and it's always in the back of my mind. The fear of loosing my hands ability to play guitar or support my family.

My Wife's mom had tendinitis from typing and she says after her surgery it was cured. Now I know it may not work but as long as there is no negative reasons to get the surgery, it might be worth a shot.

I wish you the best.

Thanks for the info, Jim! I'm glad the surgery worked for your mother-in-law, that gives me some hope if it comes down to that.

If everything I'm trying now doesn't work it's something I'll definitely have to look into (hopefully not since I don't have insurance but you can't put a price on your health as Gab said).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Apr 29 2015, 08:06 AM
Post #8

GMC:er
Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

I think KRIS is right!! You gotta pay bills so you gotta find a job/gig/whatever that let's you pay the rent and that doesn't wreck your hand. So I'd say forget practicing just until you can find a better work situation!

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 26 2015, 05:34 PM) *
I am very sorry to hear this Jim.

I am trying to think what I would do in this situation, and my #1 priority would probably be to stop with whatever physical activity is causing this, as there is a major risk it will get substantially worse and therefore give you even more problems.

To do so - I would probably spend all the extra time I had to try to find an alternative income, or a workaround while keeping your current job (other than NSAID).

We want to keep you playing guitar for a long time so I have my fingers crossed you will be able to find a long-term solution to this. Please consider that keeping up with the physical activity your body so clearly is signaling it can not handle, will have disastrous effects.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post May 8 2015, 06:11 PM
Post #9

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

I'm so sorry to hear about this Chris sad.gif

It must be very tough for you to go through it. I never had tendonitis but I had recurring Ganglion cyst (at least I think is that) which could create inconvenience when playing.

Now, if I were in your shoes I would probably do similar what Kristofer mentioned. Since you are positive that type of work you do is causing this, you really need to do something about it. Even if you were not a guitarist, tendonitis can be so painful and tricky condition to live your life with. Also, you don't really want to ruin your hand even before while finishing college studies as real work and jobs are yet to come and you do need your health and usable hands for that as you don't really know what kind of job you'd be doing then.

Is it possible to use some braces while doing the work you do in order to loosen the stress on your hands? Also, do you have time to search for income alternatives? As you said, you would quit if it is not for the income. Why not try to find alternative for the income and save your health then?

I'm sorry for this whole situation, I don't know how I'd feel if my health would prevent me from playing - it must be so tought sad.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post May 9 2015, 02:35 AM
Post #10

Thanks Bogdan!

I don't want to jinx it or anything but I feel like it's starting to get under control.

I have been icing it everyday once or twice a day either with an ice pack or cold water and ice in a bucket and I noticed the pain has dulled a little.

At work I try to use a hammer to turn to wrenches and Allen keys to take some strain off my wrist.

Definitely better than I was a month or two ago but still a long way to go.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2017 - 02:40 AM