post Jun 1 2015, 10:35 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 1 2015, 01:17 PM) *
but it's a hobby. Not all fishermen catch a lot of fish wink.gif laugh.gif

I get enjoyment from it anyway and that's the main thing. cool.gif

Absolute agreement and true on those points.
But you did ask the question in your first post, "I want a party piece to play that folks will respond to".
There's a lot of great suggestions here in this thread.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slimfinger
post Jun 1 2015, 10:56 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 21.004

Hi,

I think what Phil is asking in my own opinion,

How to play songs on the fly and make them recognizable by regular people.

I don't think playing scales , notes , modes, etc over a backing track is going to get anyone's attention, especially when you don't have a backing track available. It works great here or in a band playing for a audience but not in real life family and friend scenarios.

Im pretty sure what he was asking is how to make a song recognizable.

Sure, you can play scales over a backing track for 45 minutes , but in the end, what are you really accomplishing.

Im not even sure where I am going with this , I just associate Electric with people playing notes and scales to a backing track, cause thats all I ever see, they always need some accompaniment.

Im not meaning to walk on the Electric feild cause god knows , im in the minority .

I think the key is, you have to sing if you want to play 3 and 4 chord songs , unless you do some type of fingerstyle..

Just my thoughts

P.S I just wrote this because i think Phil took klasaine the wrong way , when he was only trying to help

thanks

Slimfinger

This post has been edited by Slimfinger: Jun 1 2015, 10:57 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jun 2 2015, 04:46 AM
Post #23

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 1 2015, 10:35 PM) *
Absolute agreement and true on those points.
But you did ask the question in your first post, "I want a party piece to play that folks will respond to".
There's a lot of great suggestions here in this thread.

Thanks Ken,

I know I aked but what I meant by a party piece was a little showpiece of a few minutes to stop people asking me to play. Some people don't understand how much it takes to get good on this instrument particularly when you have limited practice time, and they expect great things, some even think you should be able to play Surfin With The Alien after picking up the guitar for the first time twelve months ago rolleyes.gif I don't like playing anything to other people until I can do it correctly which is why it was such a struggle for me when I posted my first video here. In all honesty I'm not really the performing type. If I had the skills on the instrument I would more likely be a studio/session musician than a stage performer. Hope this makes sense as to why I wanted a little piece to get it out of the way when asked to play wink.gif

Slimfinger,

I didn't take Ken in a bad way, Ken is a pro who I will always listen to and take advice from so I hope my light hearted reply didn't offend. I was just trying to say that we can't all get to the same level in the same time span even if we spend the same amount of time practising. We just have to enjoy our own journey. wink.gif

Cheers smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 2 2015, 05:00 AM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jun 2 2015, 02:58 PM
Post #24

I get where you're coming from Phil.
I just did a super quick version (phone vid) of the Beatles 'Drive My Car' with a pick.
It uses 5 chords that I demonstrate at the end.
Everybody knows this song and it's pretty upbeat.
Check it out ...

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 2 2015, 04:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slimfinger
post Jun 2 2015, 03:12 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 21.004

klasaine:

Wow, that was awesome...now that makes want to pull out my Electric and give it a go again.

Thanks for that

Jeff

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jun 2 2015, 06:49 PM
Post #26

Thanks Ken,

Really appreciate you doing that for us. That would take me months to get down I think, maybe if I had more chords etc under my fingers things would be easier. I know the basic open chords, E shape bar chord, power chord shape and that's about it.

I'm a fairly proficient engineer, and I remember trying to watch what people did on a lathe or milling machine (pre CNC), all the little tricks the old guys did used to baffle me, now I do them without thinking. There's a lot of times when I train people how to load components on some fiddly fixtures and jigs that we have made in house, the new guy will sometimes come up to me and say "how did you do that again?" and I say, "Oh just put it on and clamp it" and they say "I've done that but it's a few microns out of flat". You know what? when I think about it so that I can explain, I really struggle. I have to go to the fixture and do it real slow and analyse what I do, a little twist here, a little bit of extra pressure on one side when tightening the clamp etc etc. I think this is the same with guitar. When you're proficient, as you are Ken, you say things like "It's real simple!" because you've been doing it so well for so long that you have forgotten how difficult it could be for a beginner, and I say that with the utmost respect.

I trained a guy a couple of weeks ago, that we've had at work for 25 years. It was a simple job but different machine and programming language. After I had given him full training I let him do the next set up himself, telling him not to be afraid to ask if he got stuck. It took him three hours. The next time it took an hour and now he can do it in 15 minutes and you know what he says? "I can't see how it took me 3 hours the first time, it seem impossible now that it could take that long". I think this holds true with a musical instrument.

What do you think Ken?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jun 2 2015, 11:14 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 2 2015, 10:49 AM) *
What do you think Ken?

I think that if you learn the Major, Minor and 7th barre chord shape - not 'power' chords but legitimate barre chords, a couple of strumming patterns and are able to keep those consistent and in time (rhythm) you can learn to do this ... or something like what I video'd.

There's a ton of great beginning and intermediate (read: non-shred) lessons at GMC.
A better thing to do would be to get mentored on a schedule by one of the teachers here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jun 3 2015, 07:12 AM
Post #28

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 2 2015, 11:14 PM) *
I think that if you learn the Major, Minor and 7th barre chord shape - not 'power' chords but legitimate barre chords, a couple of strumming patterns and are able to keep those consistent and in time (rhythm) you can learn to do this ... or something like what I video'd.

There's a ton of great beginning and intermediate (read: non-shred) lessons at GMC.
A better thing to do would be to get mentored on a schedule by one of the teachers here.

Thanks Ken,

I am currently mentored by Gab, he is brilliant and I won the first student award last month due to notable improvements in various areas but like most I want too much too soon and not enough time to get it wink.gif

I'm struggling a little with my current rhythm lesson so I may ask him to suggest something more like this.

When I asked what you thought, I also would be interested to know what you think about my engineering/learning analogy.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jun 3 2015, 02:32 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 2 2015, 11:12 PM) *
Thanks Ken,

I am currently mentored by Gab, he is brilliant and I won the first student award last month due to notable improvements in various areas but like most I want too much too soon and not enough time to get it wink.gif

I'm struggling a little with my current rhythm lesson so I may ask him to suggest something more like this.

When I asked what you thought, I also would be interested to know what you think about my engineering/learning analogy.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

The engineering analogy is a good one and holds true much of the time.
Though I'm sure you've noticed or been in a situation where something looks/seems really hard and daunting but once someone shows you how, you realize that's it's not so difficult.

Congrats on the Student Award! But be patient my friend.

Cheers to you! - KL

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jun 3 2015, 03:05 PM
Post #30

Cheers Ken smile.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 01:21 AM