Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Prs Copy Or Other Advice, Playing affected by practicing with different size necks
hickstir
post Jun 10 2015, 02:42 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 20.655

It seems I've created a major issue with my practice simply by finally buying a guitar I've always wanted (a PRS). As most guitar players know, the PRS line have thicker and wider necks. Let me also say that I am as happy as can be, and I love my new PRS. The issue is this; I have an old Ibanez that I picked up cheap so that I could take it with me to work or wherever and practice whenever I have the chance. Now as you may have guessed where I'm going here, I have a real problem in that once I get home at night and pick up my PRS, I am absolutely missing strings that I was having no problem with at say lunch time. And then the next day I'll have issues with the fretboard on the Ibenez. And so on and so on... ohmy.gif

So anyways; I can clearly see that I (at least at my beginning stage) cannot switch back and forth between the two. I'm guessing this is something that's obvious with all advanced players.

So... I would like to know if anyone knows of a 'cheap' type of PRS copy I might be able to get? Or... Am I wrong, and switching back and forth between the two different neck sizes 'good for me'?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 10 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

At first especially, swapping neck sizes can be a bit confusing to the hand. The real question is, which guitar do you prefer to play on? Also, it sounds like you have idealized the PRS for some reason? They are certainly fine guitars, but there are lots of fine guitars out there. Personally, I prefer a thinner neck, I just find them quite simply easier to play. Some folks actually prefer a larger/thicker/rounder neck such as you find on traditional guitars like a Les Paul and now the PRS which takes many cues from traditional builds.

OF course, you could just plow ahead and eventually your hand will get used to both size necks. That's certainly the cheapest course smile.gif

Your other option would be to either get a thick necked guitar to play at work, or shave the neck down on your prs, or as you are asking about, try to find a prs type with a thinner neck. Most of the guitars that mimick the prs that I"ve seen, tend to run towards thicker necks as that sorta the build plan on the prs. Of course, some folks don't find them thick at all but very comfy. Personally, I find them a bit thick as I also play Ibanez which have notoriously thin necks.

hmm. I hope these comments are helpful in some way smile.gif At this early point, it may help to stick with one size neck to prevent the setbacks in your progress. But having said that, someone will probably comment and say the exact opposite smile.gif But that's what forums are for!

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jun 10 2015, 08:08 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

This is actually not an easy question smile.gif but I have a theory that might make sense...

to me, %90 reason of neck shape preference is actually about you wrist angle and placement of thump on the neck (very rare size of hand matters). I think you're mimic'ing the less round and thinner ibanez neck on the PRS and thats the problem...it should be the other way around.

Going from thin to thick neck yeah its not easy, happened to me too. My ibanez guitars neck is thin but the edges (shoulders on neck) are very thick. Slowly I got used to placing my thumb to that shoulder part of the neck as ibanez users generally place closer to the middle of the neck.

If you can get used to that, then any sort of neck won't be a problem for you. I don't own but play many guitars every few days at store or friends and weather its a tele, LP, jackson...really doesn't matter much anymore.

But on the side note, I don't find myself playing the same things on different guitars. Each guitars personality affects my jamming or what I want to work on. This isn't a bad thing but you might be analyzing yourself wrong too.

Like; I don't see myself shredding on a PRS to be honest smile.gif with such a tone, try my best to make beautiful, traditional melodys makes more sense to me. So then why practice a speedy exercise on a PRS if I also have an ibanez? why not adjust your program according to these very nice options? wink.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jun 10 2015, 08:10 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
hickstir
post Jun 10 2015, 10:08 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 20.655

Thank you both! Using different guitars for the style you're playing sure makes a lot of sense. I just got home and went up and tried them both out and sure enough, I think Mertay nailed it. I played some alt picking across the neck on one for a few minutes and then the other. It doesn't matter which one I play first or second, it seems to be all about muscle memory and the fact that anything we humans do, even if it's just for a few minutes, our muscles retain some part of that movement. So whether we go from thick to thin or thin to thick, our hand is going to naturally bend to where it was last used to bending.

Ironic that I didn't think of this since I should know this from teaching golf. You can take a pro and switch the grip size on his clubs, and he's going to struggle until he's used to it.

Oh well, just something else to work on...

PS. The Ibanez I'm using I picked up at Guitar Center for $35 in the used section. I got it just so I didn't have to worry about ruining anything expensive sitting in a hot or cold car all day. I'm thinking about re-building it though, because I really like the feel.

Thanks again

+Quote Post
dcz702
post Jun 10 2015, 10:18 PM
Post #5

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 17.838

QUOTE (hickstir @ Jun 10 2015, 01:42 PM) *
It seems I've created a major issue with my practice simply by finally buying a guitar I've always wanted (a PRS). As most guitar players know, the PRS line have thicker and wider necks. Let me also say that I am as happy as can be, and I love my new PRS. The issue is this; I have an old Ibanez that I picked up cheap so that I could take it with me to work or wherever and practice whenever I have the chance. Now as you may have guessed where I'm going here, I have a real problem in that once I get home at night and pick up my PRS, I am absolutely missing strings that I was having no problem with at say lunch time. And then the next day I'll have issues with the fretboard on the Ibenez. And so on and so on... ohmy.gif

So anyways; I can clearly see that I (at least at my beginning stage) cannot switch back and forth between the two. I'm guessing this is something that's obvious with all advanced players.

So... I would like to know if anyone knows of a 'cheap' type of PRS copy I might be able to get? Or... Am I wrong, and switching back and forth between the two different neck sizes 'good for me'?

I know what you mean. I have a ibanez with a wizard neck I think it's called, and a les Paul traditional. My les Paul is a very beefy neck about as big as they come I think, at least as big as I've ever played.
I move back and forth between my ibanez, les Paul, and a select strat. My strat is In between neck sizes of my ibby and LP, AT first it would throw me off, not so much that I couldn't play it, more like I had to adjust the way I play. I do like the way my ibanez neck feels, but the wider neck on my LP doesn't bother me.
I have very good set ups on my guitars and use them for different styles, my ibanez is drop c my LP is 1/2 down, and my fender is standard tuning. So the all get played according to what I'm playing, and I've gotten very used to the difference and love them all.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 10 2015, 10:37 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Happy to help wink.gif I have a RICK HANES guitar that has a thicker profile like an old JACKSON and it feels good on rythm and such. But having played for a long time I can still shred on it wink.gif But I do notice it "asking me" to play rythm more than lead smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2017 - 01:09 PM