Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Am I Doing It Right?
Ricky9
post Jul 9 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #21

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.450

Here is a little metronome program, Good luck.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqrwjitw39h9oep/m...otimer.zip?dl=0

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 10 2015, 04:32 PM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Im here to succeed @ Jul 6 2015, 01:55 PM) *
Wow, very interesting. I've been trying it out today, but the pick keeps slowly slipping towards it's natural position.

Am i to just keep focusing on keeping it in that position, until i'm used to it?

yes, this is what happens at first to all my students, but with practice you'll get used to it. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
post Jul 10 2015, 05:46 PM
Post #23

GMC:er

Member No.: 15.098

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 10 2015, 04:32 PM) *
yes, this is what happens at first to all my students, but with practice you'll get used to it. wink.gif

I've found myself kind of inbetween the pictures you sent. Not quite as good as the first one, but not as bad as the second

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 11 2015, 12:57 AM
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Great advice coming in this thread!!! Gabe has a very good point about "choking up" on the pick. Getting your center of force a bit closer to the tip provides more control over the pick tip. If you leave too much space between your grip point and the tip of the pick, you allow the pick to "wag" a bit and lose a bit of control.

Also, you might try a sharper pick. It looks like the pick you are using is a standard medium round tip. I found that these sort of picks can (especially at first) make it feel like your picks are getting caught on the strings.

While you are in the early learning phase here, I'd strongly suggest trying to find a Dunlop sharp 1.0 thick pick. They are big enough to grip well and pointy enough to be precise. If you find your pick slipping, take a knife and score/scratch the front and back where your finger rests near the tip.

These are some of the tips I usually give out as the "secret sauce" in SHRED BOOTCAMP to get people over the initial hump smile.gif Of course, you can always go back to round, thinner picks later, just like Paul Gilbert uses smile.gif But especially at first, a thicker, sharper pick can really help.

Here is my first full article on ALTERNATE PICKING and contains wads of info. Give it a quick ready smile.gif I also have a picture similar to gab showing a demo of how I hold my pick. Which is very similar to his. n this picture I'm mostly showing the angle of the pick. When I strike, my thumb moves much closer to the very tip of the pick.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...0%9D_-_Lesson_1

Attached Image

QUOTE (Im here to succeed @ Jul 10 2015, 12:46 PM) *
I've found myself kind of inbetween the pictures you sent. Not quite as good as the first one, but not as bad as the second

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 11 2015, 12:58 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
post Jul 11 2015, 09:19 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 15.098

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 11 2015, 12:57 AM) *
Great advice coming in this thread!!! Gabe has a very good point about "choking up" on the pick. Getting your center of force a bit closer to the tip provides more control over the pick tip. If you leave too much space between your grip point and the tip of the pick, you allow the pick to "wag" a bit and lose a bit of control.

Also, you might try a sharper pick. It looks like the pick you are using is a standard medium round tip. I found that these sort of picks can (especially at first) make it feel like your picks are getting caught on the strings.

While you are in the early learning phase here, I'd strongly suggest trying to find a Dunlop sharp 1.0 thick pick. They are big enough to grip well and pointy enough to be precise. If you find your pick slipping, take a knife and score/scratch the front and back where your finger rests near the tip.

These are some of the tips I usually give out as the "secret sauce" in SHRED BOOTCAMP to get people over the initial hump smile.gif Of course, you can always go back to round, thinner picks later, just like Paul Gilbert uses smile.gif But especially at first, a thicker, sharper pick can really help.

Here is my first full article on ALTERNATE PICKING and contains wads of info. Give it a quick ready smile.gif I also have a picture similar to gab showing a demo of how I hold my pick. Which is very similar to his. n this picture I'm mostly showing the angle of the pick. When I strike, my thumb moves much closer to the very tip of the pick.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...0%9D_-_Lesson_1

Attached Image

Awesome, i'll take a look. And currently I'm using a Jazz III pick smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 12 2015, 07:38 AM
Post #26

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

The Jazz III is a fine choice! smile.gif The Petrucci Jazz III is also spiff!

QUOTE (Im here to succeed @ Jul 11 2015, 04:19 AM) *
Awesome, i'll take a look. And currently I'm using a Jazz III pick smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2017 - 09:55 AM