> Reaper Creating Loads Of Wavs
Phil66
post Jul 12 2015, 07:52 PM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Hello everyone,

I've just been using reaper and went to my save folder for the project and found lots of wavs that I hadn't saved. How can I stop this?

The files in question are circled in the image.

Cheers

--------------------

AWARD

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Jul 12 2015, 09:10 PM
Post #2

GMC:er

Member No.: 4.733

after you record, a window pops up, if you hit enter, it saves . If you don't want the take, you have to highlight it and delete it

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 12 2015, 09:52 PM
Post #3

Ahhhhh, I saw that box and unchecked the box thinking that would stop it appearing. I didn't think it would carry on saving though. How do I switch it back on? Or is there a way to stop it putting the box up and also not automatically saving. In my other DAW it did nothing like that, you just save if you want to, most times I just click CTRL>Z if I mess up and then i retake. If I don't mess up I like to listen before deciding whether to delete or save, I don't really want to decide whether to delete or save until I have listened.

I h hope this makes sense smile.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 12 2015, 10:10 PM

--------------------

AWARD

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 12 2015, 10:24 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

You should get the pop up after recording a track. That way you can either keep the take or trash it smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 12 2015, 04:52 PM) *
Ahhhhh, I saw that box and unchecked the box thinking that would stop it appearing. I didn't think it would carry on saving though. How do I switch it back on? Or is there a way to stop it putting the box up and also not automatically saving. In my other DAW it did nothing like that, you just save if you want to, most times I just click CTRL>Z if I mess up and then i retake. If I don't mess up I like to listen before deciding whether to delete or save, I don't really want to decide whether to delete or save until I have listened.

Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Jul 12 2015, 11:32 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4.733

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 12 2015, 09:52 PM) *

Cheers

same thing happened to me. I can't remember how I fixed it . You might need to go to the reaper forum if no one here knows
After a little search , under the views window-reset all cascading windows

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Jul 13 2015, 12:45 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 13 2015, 06:25 AM
Post #6

I know what you're saying Todd but, I'd rather be able to have a listen before deciding. The way Reaper does it I have to save, listen then delete. It's only a minor thing but it bugs me.

In my other daw it does nothing, the track just sits there once you've recorded and you delete or save when you are ready. I usually just press CTRL Z (deletes only the track you've just put down) if I don't like it, job done no fannying about wink.gif

Cheers

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 12 2015, 10:24 PM) *
You should get the pop up after recording a track. That way you can either keep the take or trash it smile.gif

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 14 2015, 03:01 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Ahh. i see what you mean now smile.gif I don't know if there is a way to get rid of that in reaper. I looked in the forum and couldn't find anything. I know what you mean though. It can get irritating. On LOGIC X It just records again in that same track and you can pick which take or which part of several takes you'd like to keep which is why I love LOGIC so much smile.gif But it requires a Mac as a "Dongle" which throws folks off sad.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 13 2015, 01:25 AM) *
I know what you're saying Todd but, I'd rather be able to have a listen before deciding. The way Reaper does it I have to save, listen then delete. It's only a minor thing but it bugs me.

In my other daw it does nothing, the track just sits there once you've recorded and you delete or save when you are ready. I usually just press CTRL Z (deletes only the track you've just put down) if I don't like it, job done no fannying about wink.gif

Cheers

Ahh. i see what you mean now smile.gif I don't know if there is a way to get rid of that in reaper. I looked in the forum and couldn't find anything. I know what you mean though. It can get irritating. On LOGIC X It just records again in that same track and you can pick which take or which part of several takes you'd like to keep which is why I love LOGIC so much smile.gif But it requires a Mac as a "Dongle" which throws folks off sad.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 13 2015, 01:25 AM) *

Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Jul 15 2015, 12:27 AM
Post #8

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 13 2015, 07:25 AM) *

Cheers

Hey Phil, this is an interesting topic your bring up. I'm mostly a Cubase DAW guy. I guess the thing with any DAW is that it needs to save the file to hard drive in order for you to be able to listen to it in the project/track. Now, I do find it a bit annoying that Reaper immediately shows the pop-up etc. Cubase for example automatically saves all wavs you record, each time you push the record button. If you later on remove a certain part, wav or anything from the project the original file is still on your harddrive. There is a neat option though in Cubase which is called something like "Remove unused project files" that removes all wav files etc which are not actually used in the project (assigned to audio tracks etc).

Solution for Reaper:

Use the option : File>Clean Current Project Directory

This options should allow you to remove all unused wav files from your project. Make sure though that you are not reusing same files in other projects as cleaning them will make those other projects messed up (since files will be gone!).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 15 2015, 12:52 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jul 15 2015, 12:27 AM) *
Hey Phil, this is an interesting topic your bring up. I'm mostly a Cubase DAW guy. I guess the thing with any DAW is that it needs to save the file to hard drive in order for you to be able to listen to it in the project/track. Now, I do find it a bit annoying that Reaper immediately shows the pop-up etc. Cubase for example automatically saves all wavs you record, each time you push the record button. If you later on remove a certain part, wav or anything from the project the original file is still on your harddrive. There is a neat option though in Cubase which is called something like "Remove unused project files" that removes all wav files etc which are not actually used in the project (assigned to audio tracks etc).

Solution for Reaper:

Use the option : File>Clean Current Project Directory

This options should allow you to remove all unused wav files from your project. Make sure though that you are not reusing same files in other projects as cleaning them will make those other projects messed up (since files will be gone!).

Thanks Bogdan I'll try that

At the moment my projects are limited to collabs and lessons with Gab so no files are used elsewhere. My old DAW must save tracks to a temp file because you never see them in the project folder until you actually hit save our save as. Even if you shut down pc and boot next day.

Cheers buddy

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th January 2017 - 02:12 AM