Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Visitor From Hell, My new Schecter guitar :)
Marek Rojewski
post Jul 21 2015, 10:18 AM
Post #1

Experienced Guitar Lord

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.185

Hello! Over six years have passed since I purchased my last guitar, Schecter Devil. I shared with you back then also: Old Schecter Devil

Now, six years later a new evil lord has joined the party:

Attached Image

Here is my latest REC take using it:

And here is a photo made by Schecter Company:

This guitar was made 6 years ago by Schecter Custom Shop for 2009 USA NAMM. I fell in love with it when I saw it in their catalogue, but of course there was no way to buy it, and also 6 years ago I would not spend that much money on a guitar - I regarded my skill insufficient for such an instrument.

Last year while browsing the net in search of a new guitar, I stumbled upon a Spanish guitar shop and to my surprise they had this guitar for sale. It turns out that after NAMM they bought the guitar to have it on their "showcase". I didn't buy the guitar back then, but some time ago the urge to buy a new guitar became stronger, and I could not accept any other guitar as long as I knew that this one was "out there", waiting to be bought laugh.gif So screaming "BANZAI" I bought the guitar tongue.gif

The main reason to buy a new guitar was the Floyd Rose. I want to learn using it, but my guitar didn't have one. I have no idea how to use it, and would l need help to learn how to use it...

Also the string action is higher and string gauge is smaller than on my older guitar, so probably I'll go to a luthier with it. Is there a reason to keep the string action higher? I like to have the string action low, but maybe there is a reason to have it higher on a floyd rose guitar?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jul 21 2015, 10:30 AM
Post #2

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

Great tone! and I loved the front cap wood whatever it is it looks beautiful, a Namm show guitar isn't easy to find, congrats!

If one plays or prefers to have fuller sounding absolute clean tones then keeping the strings higher does help to make the guitar more full sounding but it is more of a detailed tone adjustment meaning not to expect a world of difference.

So yeah they can be setuped as low as you like, jazz players comes to my mind when thinking higher setuped strings. If you're going to use a thicker string gauge then it should compensate any tone change anyway.

Get some tips from the luthier while he setups the guitar like how to change strings etc. but sure if any questions feel free to ask here too smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 22 2015, 07:41 AM
Post #3

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

NICE!! USA CUSTOM SHOP Models are not easy to come by! It looks like a NAMM one off for sure. Great find!! Great looking axe too! I personally LOVE floyd rose guitars as they provide a nice flat platform for palm muting but some folks hate them! They are tricky only at first.

Some folks like the action high so they can hit the strings harder and dig in harder. I'm not a fan of that personally but it comes down to the player at some point. Have a luthier take a look as ask him to set it up similar to what you already like. I usually have them intonate the guitar, and get the strings as low as they can. But that's just me smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
post Jul 22 2015, 08:37 AM
Post #4

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 18.479

Congrats, your new guitar look and sound awesome! smile.gif

I like and I have the string action high on my Jackson. I love to play a little (or more biggrin.gif) aggressively and how already Todd mentioned, this high action fits perfectly.
I tried to play on Cosmin's PRS which has the string action low and I didn't like it. It's true that I felt a difference of a much easier playing for chords and funk rhythms but the funny thing is that exactly this "easier" feeling I didn't like it. For solo part and my style of playing (aggressive) was a totally not cool experience. Of course Cosmin had the same bad feeling, playing on my Jackson biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Jul 24 2015, 07:28 PM
Post #5

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.410

Congratulations on getting this guitar Marek, it sounds very good in your REC video! smile.gif
I really like the looks of it, especially headstock. It is mean looking but not over the top "metal" or something.

Now when it comes to action, there is something to consider: this is a good opportunity to practice playing a guitar which doesn't feel too comfortable from the first touch. This mean you'll be forcing yourself to learn a new feeling and setup. Higher action usually means a bit cleaner tone as you'll be avoiding any potential fret buzz. Completely personal view: I always found higher action setup on guitar and bass to sound a bit more powerful. Maybe because you can dig in more when picking or something. I think that practicing on a "different" guitar can actually be beneficial for your technique, simply because it might a bit harder to play on a guitar with higher action.

If I were you, I'd just keep playing it as it is for a bit - just for fun and sake of "difference".
You can always take it to the luther and lower the action.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
bleez
post Jul 25 2015, 11:17 AM
Post #6

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 14.292

looks and sounds brilliant! congrats smile.gif I really dig that finish. I agree with Bogdan, it looks mean as hell but its not overkill. Its a subtle badass biggrin.gif
Great playing as well btw.

This post has been edited by bleez: Jul 25 2015, 11:17 AM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
post Jul 25 2015, 11:41 AM
Post #7

Experienced Guitar Lord

Member No.: 5.185

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, the devil is fond of them! laugh.gif The "mean" but not over the top look is the one I wanted to have the most, so I am happy that my thoughts about the looks are shared by others.

Few days ago I used my older guitar again, and enjoyed the older setup of thicker strings with lower action, so guess I will go to a luthier soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 03:51 AM