> Power Tab
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jul 22 2007, 07:43 AM
Post #1

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

I'm having an on-going issue with the latest version of powertab. After its been open for a while (length of time varies though) it locks up my pc completely resulting in my needing to do a hard reset (no response to crtl-alt-del. Keyboard is locked). No blue screen pc restarts ok with no error messages and nothing in a trace log. Makes no difference as to whether any other program is running or indeed whether I'm just viewing or playing back or writing tab.
I can only think that powertab randomly is polling for a service that isn't available. Any ideas any one?

I've emailed the powrtab support but no response yet.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Jul 22 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #2

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 22 2007, 02:43 AM) *
I'm having an on-going issue with the latest version of powertab. After its been open for a while (length of time varies though) it locks up my pc completely resulting in my needing to do a hard reset (no response to crtl-alt-del. Keyboard is locked). No blue screen pc restarts ok with no error messages and nothing in a trace log. Makes no difference as to whether any other program is running or indeed whether I'm just viewing or playing back or writing tab.
I can only think that powertab randomly is polling for a service that isn't available. Any ideas any one?

I've emailed the powrtab support but no response yet.

Cheers,
Tony

SOUnds like some sort fo driver nastiness - its pretty hard to lock up XP in userland ... no use I know, sorry sad.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jul 22 2007, 04:21 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Thanks Andrew - could be as I've had lots of problems with my video card in the past. In brief I hate it and it hates me mad.gif but can't afford the money or time switching it.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Jul 22 2007, 04:34 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 22 2007, 11:21 AM) *
Thanks Andrew - could be as I've had lots of problems with my video card in the past. In brief I hate it and it hates me mad.gif but can't afford the money or time switching it.

Cheers,
Tony

I had no end of trouble with my graphics card - I would get hideous audio noise everytim there was an animation of any sort on the screen - flash videos were the worts, but even VU meters in my DAW could cause problems. Tried everything, long story short, I replaced it and achieved nirvanah smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
AIB234
post Jul 22 2007, 05:28 PM
Post #5

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.303

Try updating the drivers for both your sound card and your video card and then uninstall + install PT.

Do not re-install PT, completely uninstall it. Also make sure that in your C:\Program Files\ or wherever you installed to that the file structure for PT is entirely gone. Sometimes some files are left behind. After this, install it again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jul 22 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Thanks AIB,
Haven't tried uninstall/reinstall PT yet but will. Otherwise audio and video and mobo, chip drivers are up to date

Andrew I've grown to hate my video card - replaced my old one on my music computer a month ago and its been a nightmare. Had to reset interrupts, bootup sequence, bootup timings, reseat/move pci cards to avoid conflicts, unistall reinstall rewrite part of the driver yadda yadda yadda. I now really hate my graphics card. Even though I can get a stable 2 and 3D performance out of it I still hate it and it still cause problems on 2d screen refreshes (which may be the issue with PT...) About the only thing that stops me ripping it out and throwing it in the bin (don't care about the cost anymore mad.gif ) is how long it would probably take to stabilise a different card. I HATE VIDEO CARDS mad.gif . Bad news as I build pcs as part of my work so I have to deal with them mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif (or maybe I'm crap at building anyway blink.gif .)

I also hate Windows but that is a different story...

Cheers guys,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
AIB234
post Jul 22 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #7

Don't hate Windows! Hate the people who continue to buy it and therefore perpetuate it's existence.

<3 me some SuSE Linux

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jul 22 2007, 11:46 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Sadly have to much invested in Windows AIB at the moment in terms of software (Cubase, Live, Melodyne plus various vstsetc) and related projects and hardware - RME particularly. I also end up working with/for too many people who only will use Windows.

Rosegarden looks nice but to me isn't quite there yet. I know that I can run a windows emulator under Susie etc in Linux but haven't yet had the courage to take the plunge dry.gif . Any thoughts as to how good the emulation is - might get me to switch again biggrin.gif .

I used to dual boot Redhat 6 and Win NT but switched back to Windows due to no RME linux drivers at the time...

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
post Jul 23 2007, 04:23 AM
Post #9

Group: Passive
Member No.: 2.062

QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jul 22 2007, 03:42 PM) *
Don't hate Windows! Hate the people who continue to buy it and therefore perpetuate it's existence.

<3 me some SuSE Linux

well, i hate Windows too. But most people use it because its easy to use. Does not require much coding/programming knowledge like Linux or Unix. So thats why i think its used the most.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
AIB234
post Jul 23 2007, 05:50 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jul 22 2007, 10:23 PM) *
well, i hate Windows too. But most people use it because its easy to use. Does not require much coding/programming knowledge like Linux or Unix. So thats why i think its used the most.

Exactly.

@tony: In school I use software called VMWare. It's a Virtual Machine that uses your systems resources. It's often used in the business setting to run multiple virtual servers on one physical machine. Quite neat, really. You might want to give this a try. Other than that I have never looked into emulation.

My web server runs Linux and my laptop runs Windows with VMWare on it so I can run the Virtual Machines I need for school (like Windows 2k3 Server, Red Hat, etc)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Jul 23 2007, 06:03 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (AIB234 @ Jul 23 2007, 12:50 PM) *
Exactly.

@tony: In school I use software called VMWare. It's a Virtual Machine that uses your systems resources. It's often used in the business setting to run multiple virtual servers on one physical machine. Quite neat, really. You might want to give this a try. Other than that I have never looked into emulation.

My web server runs Linux and my laptop runs Windows with VMWare on it so I can run the Virtual Machines I need for school (like Windows 2k3 Server, Red Hat, etc)

Yeah, use VMWare all the time - cool software smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 09:26 AM