Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Computer Specs Do I Need?, Also questions about memory
Mudbone
post Oct 15 2015, 12:17 AM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 10.329

I'm about to order a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to start using amps sims. I'm going to download Reaper and probably LaPou amp sims. However, I can't find the system requirements on the Reaper website. I'm also looking to get a video editing software to produce better quality REC takes.

Also, I have a question on RAM. The manufacturers website says the maximum supported RAM is 8GB. However, Crucial.com says I can use up to 16GB. Which one should I trust? Also, would it make that much of a difference going from 8GB to 16GB? Or will the processor's speed negate any addition RAM capacity?

Here are my Laptops specs:

http://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c04176483

Here is the RAM upgrade at Crucial:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-u...ilion-17-e112dx

Thanks for your support!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 15 2015, 03:37 AM
Post #2

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Ram is cheap so I"d say stuff 16 in and see if it takes it smile.gif If not, return it and just use 8. But these days 8 isn't that much ram. I've got 8 on my laptop and I really need 16 imho. That i3 processor is not going to set any speed records but it should get the job done. At some point you have to just work with what you have ya know? I've got a laptop with a dual core i5 and 8gb of ram and have no latency issues but it's a mac, so sorta different.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Oct 17 2015, 10:12 PM
Post #3

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 9.801

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Oct 14 2015, 06:17 PM) *
I'm about to order a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to start using amps sims. I'm going to download Reaper and probably LaPou amp sims. However, I can't find the system requirements on the Reaper website. I'm also looking to get a video editing software to produce better quality REC takes.

Also, I have a question on RAM. The manufacturers website says the maximum supported RAM is 8GB. However, Crucial.com says I can use up to 16GB. Which one should I trust? Also, would it make that much of a difference going from 8GB to 16GB? Or will the processor's speed negate any addition RAM capacity?

Here are my Laptops specs:

http://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c04176483

Here is the RAM upgrade at Crucial:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-u...ilion-17-e112dx

Thanks for your support!

I would be trusting the HP website, personally. If they say 8 GB of RAM is the max then that's what I would trust. But as Todd said, you could check it out and see what happens. What you need to do is go into Task Manager while inside a program like Reaper and see what you are using in CPU versus Memory. Are you running 8 currently or 4? The i3 processor you have is going to hold you back on video processing more than RAM will.

I recommend Sony Vegas Movie Studio for video editing. It's a cheap program but very solid, and I love the software. I have the Pro version but I owned the cheap version for years. I only upgraded because the Max RAM available in the program was tapped out, so my PC couldn't use its current resources. Mind you, I also put crazy video effects all over my videos. Shouldn't need a whole lot for RECs.

My laptop has an i7 with 8 GB of RAM. I really don't need 16 but I want it because I use Photoshop, and like I said - crazy video effects in Vegas software, so my memory is tapping out before my CPU does. So I recommend getting your video editing software first and start editing. Watch your meters in Task Manager and see how things look. You may be fine with 8 GB of RAM. smile.gif

Also, I had that 2i2 at one time and it was with an i5 8 GB RAM laptop and I did just fine. smile.gif
Make sure you get the DDR3L RAM and not the DDR3. Unless your computer takes either one, the website says DDR3L. My Alienware only takes DDR3L, I found out. I am waiting on my return label from Tiger Direct because I thought my PC might take the DDR3 too. The L just means lower voltage = less power consumption. Obviously, Alienware put some sort of motherboard check in mine to only accept the DDR3L, because it didn't boot with the DDR3.

Hope this helps. smile.gif
Brandon

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
post Oct 17 2015, 10:42 PM
Post #4

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 10.329

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm going to order the 16GB and see what happens. I want to hold off on getting a new laptop for a while, so hopefully more RAM will do the trick.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Oct 17 2015, 11:50 PM
Post #5

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 9.801

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Oct 17 2015, 04:42 PM) *
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm going to order the 16GB and see what happens. I want to hold off on getting a new laptop for a while, so hopefully more RAM will do the trick.

Good luck! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th January 2017 - 04:20 PM