> Gas. What Next?
Phil66
post Dec 8 2015, 03:45 PM
Post #101

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Hello again,

Here is my q&a with Boss, I'm not sure if I worded the initial question correctly but I'm sure he would have mentioned noise if he thought it would be an issue. I know Jason said to steer clear of presonus but I think it's the one for me. I like the idea of front mounted controls as it will suit near the rear of my desk. It's around the price I want to pay too so if they're are any others with similar price and front facia please let me know.
Reading THIS it looks like I can use it to plug my electric in too though I don't know if there is any benefit in doing this.

Thank you smile.gif

Email exchange below.

Hello,
I'm using a Boss GT-001 with a Shure SM57. There isn't enough gain in the GT-001 preamp even at +20db. I can't turn my guitar amplifier up any louder without annoying family. Would it be safe to use a Presonus TubePre V2 in front of the GT-001? If not can you suggest a solution please. Maybe a Boss or Roland product.
Thank you
Kind regards
Phil

Hi

Thank you for your email.

The Presonus is a great unit and will be perfect for the job.

Regards

Oliver Davis
Product Support Manager

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 8 2015, 05:27 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Dec 8 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #102

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 8 2015, 02:45 PM) *

Excellent! this is very good news smile.gif

Jason mentioned the soundcard of presonus, this preamp is all analog (different kind of product) so we have no problem of any compatibility. I remember 1-2 members here using this or similar preamp, you can make a thread or make a search but I remember they commented very positivly about it.

If the price is ok for you thats great, there is a brand called ART also well known its half the price but the presonus is better quality and better for future usage. For example, for any reason if you want a soundcard in the future this preamp can be used with it as its even better than the ones that comes with soundcards.

Connection will be like this; sm57 with xlr cable to Presonus preamp to (with xlr cable) boss gt001 (used as soundcard). If you want gt001 sound directly (like you used to use) there is no problem.

So we can mic. the amp well+use boss gt001's fx...

Darius's suggestion is very different from mine, but then we can't use the boss gt001 if we want to mic. the amp. Before we move forward do you understand the difference in suggestions? I'd like you be clear on whats going on so feel free to ask smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 8 2015, 08:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 8 2015, 08:22 PM
Post #103

Thanks Mertay,
Yes I understand smile.gif
Is there any benefit, if I want to record without the amp, to putting my guitar into the preamp before the gt-001?
Thanks

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Dec 8 2015, 08:33 PM
Post #104

Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 8 2015, 07:22 PM) *
Thanks Mertay,
Yes I understand smile.gif
Is there any benefit, if I want to record without the amp, to putting my guitar into the preamp before the gt-001?
Thanks

I'd expect it to be but nothing huge, the drive on the preamp will add very gentle saturation/compresson but not quite like your pedal. Think of it for drive thats ment for clean sounds. Also increaseing the input gain from the preamp might add some sensitivity feel even though its driving something digital. Would be worth to experiment smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 8 2015, 09:08 PM
Post #105

And what about the guitar>Presonus>Hotbird>amp and guitar>presonus>Hotbird>GT-001?

This must be one of the biggest topics in the history of the Gear section, we should have a medal for endurance smile.gif

Thanks Mertay.

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Dec 8 2015, 10:02 PM
Post #106

Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 8 2015, 08:08 PM) *
And what about the guitar>Presonus>Hotbird>amp and guitar>presonus>Hotbird>GT-001?

This must be one of the biggest topics in the history of the Gear section, we should have a medal for endurance smile.gif

Thanks Mertay.

biggrin.gif

guitar>Presonus>Hotbird>amp; I don't think you'll need this (hotbird can get pretty aggressive) but if you would want to use a low-output guitar for shred yeah then the presonus can act like a clean booster (as if the pickups on the guitar were higher output) but the presonus should be driven very low. There is no switch though so you'll have to deal with the cableing.

guitar>presonus>Hotbird>GT-001; Same as the above, basically you're pre-driving the hotbird to make it work hotter. The signal strenght then depends on the hotbird as how strong you want it to hit either the amp or gt001

I never tried it though, remind this to me once we nail some tones with the hotbird smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 8 2015, 10:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 8 2015, 10:47 PM
Post #107

Thanks Mertay,

Sorry for the questions but I have a thirst for knowledge rolleyes.gif

Plenty to think about, thanks. I understand why I "shouldn't" use Presonus with Hotbird wink.gif

Thanks again

Phil smile.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Dec 8 2015, 11:10 PM
Post #108

Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 8 2015, 09:47 PM) *
Thanks Mertay,

Sorry for the questions but I have a thirst for knowledge rolleyes.gif

No problem keep them coming and update me when you get your hands on the presonus smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 8 2015, 11:16 PM
Post #109

Will do smile.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Dec 8 2015, 11:54 PM
Post #110

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Todd here! As you know I LOVE my Eleven Rack as it sounds good recorded direct, sounds good going through an amp/cab and lets you record clean tone while you are recording a tone with an 11 rack patch to another track so you can add a plugin later.

It can act as a direct/clean recording interface for guitar input or mic input as it has one XLR jack on the front with a full mic preamp inside. So you can run your mic directly in to the 11 rack. For about the same price as a decent audio interface, you can get an audio interface with a guitar/bass/vocal processor built in it with presets for all of the above. The flexibility of the unit is part of why I kept it and sold my 16 channel presonus sound interface. I just never used all those channels. You should be able to fine a used one for about $300 U.S. You can find one brand new on ebay for not much more with pro tools still in the shrink wrap smile.gif

When I use the 11 rack with an amp, I run it to a power amp then the cab. I have a tube preamp (a soldano clone) that I run in the fx loop of the 11 rack. So all I need is a clean power amp and a cab. I have a 4x12 randall. I have not had good experiences with 4x8 or 4x10 cabs as they never seem to have enough bass for me. But I rarely use the cab for recording to be honest.

At one point I was recording with pro tools so that I could get..

1.)dry guitar
2.)fx guitar
3.)Microphone on guitar cabinet

on three separate tracks. I would then apply TH2 to the dry track. After a while I found this was just pointless. I could get what I wanted in a mix just with the dry tone and Th2. I mostly use the sounds in the 11 rack for practice sessions, and live teaching sessions. For recording, I still like recording dry and using plugins. It gives sooooo much more flexibility during the mix. smile.gif

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 9 2015, 08:20 AM
Post #111

Thanks Todd,
I've certainly thought about that kind of set up. For now though I'm going to stick with what I have until I get better at both playing and recording/mixing. I like my GT001 and am still getting to grips with it so I don't want to be learning a whole lot of new stuff as it keeps my fingers off the fretboard too much. Even just sorting this mic cost me a lot of practise time sad.gif The Elevenrack goes for around £300 ($450) here in the UK with the expansion pack but I've seen brand new for around £500.
Thanks for your input though Todd, It's all in my head for further down the line smile.gif
Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 9 2015, 09:23 AM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Dec 9 2015, 01:22 PM
Post #112

Member No.: 4.733

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 8 2015, 03:45 PM) *
I know Jason said

I could be wrong , but I think you have my name wrong . JSTCRSN stands for just cursin or just crusin cause thats how my practice goes . sometimes I think i sound awesome , other times I want to give my guitar flying lessons cool.gif . "Cursin" is what everyone sort of abbreviated it to , so that is what people usually use . Of course if I am not who you were referring to , I will feel like a douche and will start cursin

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 9 2015, 01:54 PM
Post #113

Sorry jstcrsn, please accept my apologies. Somewhere along the line I thought you were the bloke that does the cartoons (Jason Nocera), how and why I just can't explain.
Sorry unsure.gif
Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Dec 10 2015, 07:03 PM
Post #114

Member No.: 4.733

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 9 2015, 01:54 PM) *
Sorry jstcrsn, please accept my apologies. Somewhere along the line I thought you were the bloke that does the cartoons (Jason Nocera), how and why I just can't explain.
Sorry unsure.gif
Phil

Please share

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 10 2015, 10:22 PM
Post #115

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Dec 10 2015, 06:03 PM) *
Please share

See my cartoon in my sig? The name on top of it, right hand side smile.gif

OK here we go again, sorry Mertay rolleyes.gif

Mic position as last time, between centre and edge. Acoustic about 8 inches from 12th fret. No reverb on amp. Eq middle. Output around 80db. Presonus Drive zero, Gain around 3 o clock. GT001 mic lvl at +7db. There is a meter in the display of the GT001, I thought it was for something else but the thing is moving now smile.gif. The VU on the Presonus is hardly moving though.

I was short on time so it was a little rush but good fun smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/bridge-clean-single-coil

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/neck-clean-single-coil

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/bridge-clean-humbucker

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/neck-clean-humbucker

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/bridge-dirty-humbucker

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/neck-dirty-humbucker

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/bridge-v-dirty-humbucker

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/neck-v-dirty-humbucker

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/acoustic-12th-fret-1

Cheers for all advice smile.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Dec 11 2015, 01:35 AM
Post #116

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Happy to help smile.gif I'm sure you can work things out with your current rig. Some great feedback in this thread!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 9 2015, 03:20 AM) *
Thanks Todd,
I've certainly thought about that kind of set up. For now though I'm going to stick with what I have until I get better at both playing and recording/mixing. I like my GT001 and am still getting to grips with it so I don't want to be learning a whole lot of new stuff as it keeps my fingers off the fretboard too much. Even just sorting this mic cost me a lot of practise time sad.gif The Elevenrack goes for around £300 ($450) here in the UK with the expansion pack but I've seen brand new for around £500.
Thanks for your input though Todd, It's all in my head for further down the line smile.gif
Cheers buddy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Dec 11 2015, 08:30 AM
Post #117

Group Icon

Nailed it! smile.gif

I'm hearing a huge difference compared to without presonus I'm sure you are too smile.gif You can pass after 3 o'clock on it but not much cause then it will probably start to get noisy, if you want to tinker the balance a bit more I guess the lesser gain of boss and more of presonus the better but always try getting the lowest noise possible (you can check the noise by not connecting any gear or cables). I didn't hear any problematic noise issue this time though, recording sounds fine I'm happy biggrin.gif

The solo balance of guitars seem good considering you can increase the amp output a tiny bit more. We can esitmate the current mic. position is the most further from the center you'll ever use use (good with single coil-can be a bit closer with humbuckers) keep in mind for soloing over lessons/backing tracks you'll sometimes need more clarity and then you can slide the mic. closer to the center. Why not record your next lesson like this? I sure the teacher feedback will be helpful too.

Also, you'll notice an inst. button on the presonus. When engaged you can direct plug your guitar to it and connect it with a line cable to your boss gt001. Give it a shot (with lesser gain) there is a good chance the guitar might feel a bit more lively.

The 80hz button removes the deep rumble-like sounds from the amp or even vocal (only use it for mic.ed recording) if needed during recording. Could be useful to add some clarity for something like your humbucker clean recordings you shared above. Keep in mind, since you'll record with this setting we can't un-do it though I dought it will ever be a problem so nothing to be scared of either. Un-tick the other 2 buttons as you won't be needing them for now.

As for the drive knob, when recording acoustic or vocal its ok to add but very unnoticably. Its there for more of a feeling thing really up to you wether to use or not. On electric guitar though it will be more forgiving, feel free to test maybe can help when you don't want to increase the amps volume much.

The acoustic sounds great smile.gif Really, I don't know if it can get overall better cause if it can it only needs small mic. position adjustments and I'd have to be in the room to figure that out smile.gif The noise is a bit more noticeable compared to electric but thats normal as we're using a dynamic mic. (or that is maybe the computer fan noise or a heater in the room?)

Feel free to share test recordings, I believe you already handled the basics so your questions will be related to experience from now on smile.gif Lets not rush into the pedal setting if you want? try getting more feedback from your instructor on recording so we can enhance the details if needed. As always feel free to ask anything needed smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 11 2015, 09:41 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 11 2015, 09:42 AM
Post #118

Thanks Mertay,
I am really pleased with the outcome. It sounded great to me too.
I guess this thread will calm down a little bit now but I will post any further questions here to keep it all together. Hopefully others can benefit from this.
Thanks again Mertay you have been awesome \m/ smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 11 2015, 12:45 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Dec 11 2015, 09:54 AM
Post #119

Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 11 2015, 08:42 AM) *
Thanks Mertay,
I am really pleased with the outcome. It sounded great to me too.
I guess this thread will calm down a little bit now but I will post any trekkers questions here to keep it all together. Hopefully others can benefit from this.
Thanks again Mertay you have been awesome \m/ smile.gif

No problem smile.gif I'll be waiting for when you'll want to start adjusting the pedal biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 11 2015, 10:04 AM
Post #120

That day will come but I need to get some practise done or Gab will want to put me in detention smile.gif
FYI the mic was about one inch from the grille. On acoustic the is no heater in the room. Mic was pointing away from computer which only has one 120mm fan on cpu. Maybe I left the amp on and it is hum from that as last recording was full gain.
Cheers buddy
Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 11 2015, 12:48 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2017 - 08:03 PM