Mertay
post Jan 13 2016, 11:31 PM
Post #261

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 13 2016, 01:03 PM) *
If you want to hear it with a backing look HERE It's not superb playing at all, it's a theory workshop but it's in a mix, it has some added chorus from the GT-001 too.

Cheers

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 13 2016, 01:03 PM) *
If you want to hear it with a backing look HERE It's not superb playing at all, it's a theory workshop but it's in a mix, it has some added chorus from the GT-001 too.

Cheers

Cool, pretty clean, noise-free and dynamic sounding (maybe a bit too dynamic, some drive can help that for later recordings biggrin.gif ) though not the purpose the level of the guitar was a bit high.

A small trick; when you're done recording, playback the guitar and backing track but select "mono" from master channel. This might help adjusting the guitars volume compared to the backing track, I prefer headphones to really nail it but its really up to you to use it or not. Oh nad don't forget to untick mono from the master when you're going to render smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jan 13 2016, 11:38 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 13 2016, 11:42 PM
Post #262

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 13 2016, 10:31 PM) *
Cool, pretty clean, noise-free and dynamic sounding (maybe a bit too dynamic, some drive can help that for later recordings biggrin.gif ) though not the purpose the level of the guitar was a bit high.

A small trick; when you're done recording, playback the guitar and backing track but select "mono" from master channel. This might help adjusting the guitars volume compared to the backing track, I prefer headphones to really nail it but its really up to you to use it or not. Oh nad don't forget to untick mono from the master when you're going to render smile.gif

Thanks Mertay,

Your answer confused me blink.gif laugh.gif I had the drive on the PreSonus at about a quarter, I don't know how to reduce dynamics though wink.gif I also don't understand what you mean about "untucking the mono" blink.gif

I apologise for my ignorance and thank you for your help smile.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jan 13 2016, 11:58 PM
Post #263

Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 13 2016, 10:42 PM) *
Thanks Mertay,

Your answer confused me blink.gif laugh.gif I had the drive on the PreSonus at about a quarter, I don't know how to reduce dynamics though wink.gif I also don't understand what you mean about "untucking the mono" blink.gif

I apologise for my ignorance and thank you for your help smile.gif

Cheers

Phil

hehe no problem smile.gif let me give a little detail;

Dynamics; it means from how quiet to loud the guitar (or anything) can go. By saying too much I ment hard picking really produced loud results. Its not about you playing, clean guitars can do that. To reduce (or lets say balance) driving the amp should help.

by drive I ment the amps drive smile.gif

Also I ment un-ticking mono button from the master track when you're going to render smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 14 2016, 08:39 PM
Post #264

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 13 2016, 10:58 PM) *
by drive I ment the amps drive smile.gif

Thanks Mertay,

I didn't have any drive on the amp, I was on the clean channel. Clean volume on 5 master on 2.5

Cheers

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Fran
post Jan 15 2016, 12:01 PM
Post #265

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.338

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 12 2016, 01:08 PM) *
That's not exactly what you want Fran, but it is sweet. Mr Balducci's Violet Horizon RG wink.gif

It's nice indeed, even has a reverse headstock, cool smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 16 2016, 10:19 AM
Post #266

Yeah it's sweet, he has some lovely guitars made at the L.A Custom Shop, HERE are some more, I love the black and white one.

Mertay, there is another recording with direct xlr and no added effects HERE, when you get a little time it would be great if you could have a listen to the tone. Thanks smile.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jan 16 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #267

Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 16 2016, 09:19 AM) *
Mertay, there is another recording with direct xlr and no added effects HERE, when you get a little time it would be great if you could have a listen to the tone. Thanks smile.gif

Had a sleepover last night checking now smile.gif

sounds good you got used to this amp really fast smile.gif if I really had to try find a fault in the tone, I'd only say the mid eq could have slightly been lesser but its really more of a preferation territory as nothing wrong.

The di to me seems solved once you figured the preamp settings and got rid of noise. Next time lets try the mic. smile.gif one nice thing about di is you have a source to compared the mic. sound to analyze if the mic. position is right or wrong, sure its a different sound but should help to figure out if your tone is too bright or too bassy when compared.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 16 2016, 07:21 PM
Post #268

Thanks Mertay,

I'll use the mic next time, all eq was 12'o'clock but it was a Strat on humbuckers wink.gif

Cheers

Update:

I forgot it was recorded using Class A, here is the same setup (no backing) using class A/B wink.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/class-ab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 16 2016, 09:15 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jan 16 2016, 09:41 PM
Post #269

Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 16 2016, 06:21 PM) *
I forgot it was recorded using Class A, here is the same setup (no backing) using class A/B wink.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/class-ab

Nice cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 16 2016, 09:44 PM
Post #270

The A/B sounds a little brighter to me but that's about all, my ears are developing slowly smile.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 17 2016, 12:10 AM
Post #271

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Congrats on your amp and on how quick you are adapting to it! smile.gif You are ready to gig/record, whatever comes, you are ready on the gear front fo sho!:)

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 16 2016, 03:44 PM) *
The A/B sounds a little brighter to me but that's about all, my ears are developing slowly smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 17 2016, 11:01 AM
Post #272

Thanks Todd smile.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 17 2016, 09:59 PM
Post #273

Ok folks,
HERE is another take for the theory workshop, Using the SM57, Lead gain 4.75, eq 12'o'clock, Class A/b, master vol 2, HSH Strat, humbucker on Bridge, tone full up, vol around halfway.
Some of the playing is what I call "nursery rhyme like" from around 0:18-20 but I was just experimenting. There are some high string double stops in there.
It would be nice to hear what you think about this tone as I am hitting the treble strings quite hard on the double stops.
Thank you for your time smile.gif
By the way, that mono thing for when you're mixing helps, how does that work?????
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-1-take-5

Next purchase but not just yet. I don't want to buy something to make do for now and then buy again later so I want to cover the future for a while at least. I want an interface that can record 2 mics (SM57 and XLR out on amp) and a dry signal. That should cover everything I need. I also want to be able to mute the SM57 signal so I don't have to use headphones, I can do this with my GT-001 simply by going into the tuner and selecting "mute", it still allows the signal to be recorded though, this is how I recorded this.

Thank you again.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 17 2016, 10:09 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jan 17 2016, 10:54 PM
Post #274

Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 17 2016, 08:59 PM) *
Ok folks,
HERE is another take for the theory workshop, Using the SM57, Lead gain 4.75, eq 12'o'clock, Class A/b, master vol 2, HSH Strat, humbucker on Bridge, tone full up, vol around halfway.
Some of the playing is what I call "nursery rhyme like" from around 0:18-20 but I was just experimenting. There are some high string double stops in there.
It would be nice to hear what you think about this tone as I am hitting the treble strings quite hard on the double stops.
Thank you for your time smile.gif
By the way, that mono thing for when you're mixing helps, how does that work?????
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-1-take-5

Next purchase but not just yet. I don't want to buy something to make do for now and then buy again later so I want to cover the future for a while at least. I want an interface that can record 2 mics (SM57 and XLR out on amp) and a dry signal. That should cover everything I need. I also want to be able to mute the SM57 signal so I don't have to use headphones, I can do this with my GT-001 simply by going into the tuner and selecting "mute", it still allows the signal to be recorded though, this is how I recorded this.

Thank you again.

The tone itself was cool but with that backing track it was too upfront meaning level a bit high and tone a bit bright. It would be unfair to expect detailed eq adjustments from you at this point but if you could try adjusting the levels a bit more dailed it would be great.

The logic is like, as we listen to a good sounding album every instrument can be heard. I guess what I'm trying to say is we can try a little harder to make your solos more album like sounding.

I copy/pasted my previous "mono" trick again, a (sort of) mixing rule is if a song sounds good in mono it should sound much better (less imbalances) on stereo. Thats the reason there is a mono button on DAW master output channels, to check how the mix sounds on mono. Might help or not, but you can use this to figure out if your guitar track is too loud or quiet when played back with the backing track. Just give it a shot smile.gif

I remember we had a "hone your tone" topic sometime ago, might also help posting there too.

As for a soundcard, it might be good to make a topic for that as its better if other members are involved cause most of them use soundcards and can comment on what they use atleast. But for the muteing thing I still think that can be done from the DAW but not sure if there is an issue reaper specific.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 17 2016, 11:51 PM
Post #275

Thanks Mertay,
I don't mind if I can mute output inside Reaper but I can't see how to do it.
I'm currently looking at THIS
Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jan 18 2016, 10:43 AM
Post #276

Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 17 2016, 10:51 PM) *
I'm currently looking at THIS
Cheers smile.gif

Thats only 2 input, you need 3. Todd uses an affordable 4 input soundcard but I couldn't remember the brand or model (not sold where I live anyway), make sure to ask him about what he uses. As for reaper I have to test it for myself.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 18 2016, 01:50 PM
Post #277

Thanks Mertay,
I see, I thought quad capture would be four simultaneous rolleyes.gif but it has four inputs just only two at a time, they are combination XLR and TRS.
When the time is right I'll put a new thread out about interfaces.

Cheers dude smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 18 2016, 01:52 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 18 2016, 09:14 PM
Post #278

Hello Mertay,

Same amp/mic settings. Ibanez RG1570, neck pickup, guitar vol about half way. I've tried to mix it better this time wink.gif WOuld be great when you have some free time to have a listen. Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-1-take-6

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 18 2016, 09:49 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jan 18 2016, 10:45 PM
Post #279

Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 18 2016, 08:14 PM) *
Hello Mertay,

Same amp/mic settings. Ibanez RG1570, neck pickup, guitar vol about half way. I've tried to mix it better this time wink.gif WOuld be great when you have some free time to have a listen. Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-1-take-6

Nailed it! smile.gif

I highly suggest next time adjusting levels such before the main recording. That way, say the backing track at some point gets louder or quiet this will invite you to adjust your picking strength in a musical way (probably without even thinking abou it).

After a while when you feel comfortable adjusting levels, to really blend in the sound we'll try small adjustments with the amps eq. Remind this to me in say 5-6 more assignments later smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jan 18 2016, 10:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 18 2016, 11:04 PM
Post #280

Thanks Mertay,
I've posted a couple in the "hone your tone" thread. I made a little joke about you and me but it is just a joke biggrin.gif
That backing doesn't seem to alter much in volume though. My ears aren't that good just yet though and I struggle to listen hard to the backing while I play, I just get a general fell for it:)
I think it may be harder being levels right to start with, with the guitar coming from my amp and backing coming from monitors unless I misunderstood what you meant.
Thank you

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th March 2017 - 09:02 PM