Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Difference Between Chorus Pedals
gnarkill
post Nov 18 2015, 11:32 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 20.530

I have a quick question about chorus pedals. Lately I have been amassing a decent amount of pedals in the past month, and I have decided I would like a nice chorus to add to my collection. I primarily play rock-metal. I know I will find a use for it.

Found a terrific deal on one... While I have never heard of it, price cant be beat here at my local store. ROCKTRON Deep Blue Chorus!

My question, do most chorus pedals do the same thing? I mean, if I want it for a metal sound, this thing SHOULD do a decent job in comparison to the Black Label Chorus by MXR right? I mean, the Rocktron is $25... so a small fraction for a used guy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 19 2015, 01:43 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Bottom line is that "Chorus" effects all have a similar type of thing in common at a very basic level. They are all a "modulation" effect. They "modulate" the signal coming in.

You can spend hundreds on a good chorus unit. But then again, you can find great deals as well! If you find one that you like, BUY IT!! smile.gif The Rocktron is a fine unit smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (gnarkill @ Nov 18 2015, 06:32 PM) *
I have a quick question about chorus pedals. Lately I have been amassing a decent amount of pedals in the past month, and I have decided I would like a nice chorus to add to my collection. I primarily play rock-metal. I know I will find a use for it.

Found a terrific deal on one... While I have never heard of it, price cant be beat here at my local store. ROCKTRON Deep Blue Chorus!

My question, do most chorus pedals do the same thing? I mean, if I want it for a metal sound, this thing SHOULD do a decent job in comparison to the Black Label Chorus by MXR right? I mean, the Rocktron is $25... so a small fraction for a used guy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Nov 19 2015, 03:04 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

What Todd said.

Major brands of 'chorus' in a nutshell ...

Boss, the industry standard - pop, especially from the very late 70s through the 80s. Think everything from Michael Jackson to Spandau Ballet. And, most metal 'clean' tones. *The CE-1 is the original and is a lot different than the versions that came after, CE2 and beyond.

Electro Harmonix - Rock and Alt. Rock. Kurt Cobain used an EH 'small clone'. They're grainier/dirtier.

TC Electronics - Eric Johnson ... and a lot of other fusion guys. Very clean with a lot of tweakability.

MXR - Randy Rhoads and Andy Summers (police era, he also used a Boss CE-1). Thicker and more 'phasey' than most of the others.

My guess is that the Rocktron is similar to the Boss.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Nov 19 2015, 03:05 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 19 2015, 02:55 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

I haven't tried many choruses, but this is my favorite:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 21 2015, 02:38 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

That is a VERy cool chorus unit from Gabe! It also adds "echo" so it's a bit more than just a chorus. Almost like a chorus with a delay pedal type thing. I use something similar. The Fuhrman Modulation Delay pedal which also has some echo in addition to chorus. Here is a quick vid with the pedal. Just playing some blues with overdrive so it's not a clean tone.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 19 2015, 09:55 AM) *
I haven't tried many choruses, but this is my favorite:

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 09:39 PM