> Increase Input Signal Guitar Rig 5, Increase input signal Guitar rig 5
Anders Karlsson
post Nov 20 2015, 01:25 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 18.990

Hi,have some questions about recording equipment
I am using Guitar rig 5 and Reaper through my simple "focusrite 2i2" and finally to my headset. It feels like the guitar doesnt answer my picking. Its like i have to hit the strings harder comparing my ordinary amplifier and this affects my picking technique.

This is pretty cheap but i hope it works fine, but as i wrote it would be nice if i could increase the signal so i can make decent records.
https://www.google.se/search?q=focusrite+2i...gcvDVkKpfLFM%3A
I also have some pedals. Mayby i can use them to increase the singal in some sort of way??
https://www.google.se/search?q=korg+ax1000&...TJlRPoWOvDkM%3A

If i increase the input knob in guitar rig the input signal gets better but not enough. Does anyone have some ideas what i can do to solve my problem or some tips about some decent gear that i can buy to to increase the input signal.
Which gear are you using for recording and do you notice any difference when you are using amplifier comparing Guitar rig?

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Nov 20 2015, 01:29 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Nov 20 2015, 01:55 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 20.796

may you can modofy the input gain with your audio interface ?

you seem to have a too low gain

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Nov 20 2015, 02:55 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

Raising input too much will result in clipping as its something we don't want, its a low posibility focusrite's preamps aren't giving enough power.

Using an overdrive pedal is the best solution, your processor can also work but I had a better experience with analog pedals. A boss sd1 is affordable and easy to find used too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 20 2015, 03:12 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

+1 overdrive before your sound card. However, you should be able to have a good signal with that interface. Does this happen with other guitar plug ins?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
post Nov 20 2015, 05:23 PM
Post #5

unfortunately, this is the only plug in ive used. I have tryied to increase the signal but as u said, the sound starts clicking and clipping. I made a search on Bos SD1 and there are some different models. i dont have that much experience of pedals, but the regualar SD-1 may work fine for me. Which setup are you using??

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Nov 20 2015, 06:03 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Nov 20 2015, 06:26 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (Anders Karlsson @ Nov 20 2015, 04:23 PM) *
unfortunately, this is the only plug in ive used. I have tryied to increase the signal but as u said, the sound starts clicking and clipping. I made a search on Bos SD1 and there are some different models. i dont have that much experience of pedals, but the regualar SD-1 may work fine for me. Which setup are you using??

Clipping is very normal after a cartain level, we never clip the signal although guitar is distortion friendly we do it with other methods. GR5 is a fine plug-in, unless you don't like the tone no need to change it.

There are 100's of overdrive pedals but a start with a sd1 is recommended for being affordable (a tubescreamer can also be fine among many options.

Its simple, guitar to overdrive and overdrive to soundcard. After adjusting the level of soundcard (so it won't clip) power on the pedal and drive it as much as needed but again it shouldn't clip the soundcard so as you drive it you will decrease the level.

I think GR5 has a sd1 emulation although with a different name but still yellow, but our goal here is to minimally distort the sound before the soundcard. There should be only 1 sd1 though boss has a few overdrives.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
post Nov 20 2015, 06:43 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 20 2015, 05:26 PM) *
Clipping is very normal after a cartain level, we never clip the signal although guitar is distortion friendly we do it with other methods. GR5 is a fine plug-in, unless you don't like the tone no need to change it.

There are 100's of overdrive pedals but a start with a sd1 is recommended for being affordable (a tubescreamer can also be fine among many options.

Its simple, guitar to overdrive and overdrive to soundcard. After adjusting the level of soundcard (so it won't clip) power on the pedal and drive it as much as needed but again it shouldn't clip the soundcard so as you drive it you will decrease the level.

I think GR5 has a sd1 emulation although with a different name but still yellow, but our goal here is to minimally distort the sound before the soundcard. There should be only 1 sd1 though boss has a few overdrives.

Okey, thx for answer. I really like GR5 and i dont have any plans to replace my software. which gear do you prefer between the comupter and guitar for a decent price and quallity (tubescreamer??). Do you think it would be enough with the SD-1-pedal for my purpose?

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Nov 20 2015, 06:47 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Nov 20 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Anders Karlsson @ Nov 20 2015, 05:43 PM) *
Okey, thx for answer. I really like GR5 and i dont have any plans to replace my software. which gear do you prefer between the comupter and guitar for a decent price and quallity (tubescreamer??). Do you think it would be enough with the SD-1-pedal for my purpose?

I have a tubescreamer and an ibanez bb9. Both tubescreamer and sd1 are affordable and extremely durable, these are classics. Modern and popular option would be the fulltone OCD, its expensive but gabriel I think is using a Joyo branded clone which is affordable and he'll give you the best feedback.

Overdrives all have slightly different sounds but they're used to en-rich an already slightly driven tone. When using with an amp they can be driven hard but with soundcard they don't need to be driven too hard (so you don't have to change pedal knobs for each preset you have on gr5).

After I bought my overdrive, soon later I bought a distortion pedal too. Today, I get all my distortion from analog and the rest (poweramp, cabinet, reverb etc. fx...) from computer. It really up to you on how you want to go hybrid, but an overdrive is the best starting point.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
post Nov 20 2015, 07:21 PM
Post #9

You have to excuse my "novice knowledge" but is this a fulltone OCD?
https://www.google.se/search?q=fulltone+ocd...KHc9WChEQsAQIOg

If this is the one you prefer do you think its worth buying this instead of the SD-1, connected to my soundcard and GR5 on top smile.gif

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Nov 20 2015, 07:23 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Nov 20 2015, 07:44 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (Anders Karlsson @ Nov 20 2015, 06:21 PM) *
You have to excuse my "novice knowledge" but is this a fulltone OCD?
https://www.google.se/search?q=fulltone+ocd...KHc9WChEQsAQIOg

If this is the one you prefer do you think its worth buying this instead of the SD-1, connected to my soundcard and GR5 on top smile.gif

yeah thats the ocd smile.gif the ts9 and sd1 are very similar sounding, ts9 is a bit warmer while sd1 is middy. The OCD on the other hand is like a marshall's crunch channel.

You can dig youtube for sound differences like search in youtube; ts9 vs sd1...but really you can't make a mistake as its just comes down to detailed tonal preferences. Its also common to change pedals in time as the more experienced you'll get with tone shaping, everyone I know who's been using pedals for a few years changed a pedal at one point.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
post Nov 21 2015, 07:42 AM
Post #11

Thank you, i'll take a trip down to my nearest vendor to buy one. Ill update this topic when i've made my new purchase:)

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Nov 21 2015, 07:44 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Nov 21 2015, 10:26 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Cool smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
krakou
post Nov 21 2015, 05:53 PM
Post #13

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 2.461

Hello,

I use only Guitar Rig 5 and Reaper to record myself, and I can tell you your problem is to search somewhere else.
With the amps and effects that are coming with the soft, and your soundcard, you should be able to have very reactive signals.
I can't compare with a real amp (I only play at home), but guitar => soundcard => Reaper + Guitar Rig5 should do the job.
I sometimes put a Boss blues driver in front to play, but it is clearly not necessary.

Regards

JL

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
post Nov 21 2015, 08:22 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (krakou @ Nov 21 2015, 04:53 PM) *
Hello,

I use only Guitar Rig 5 and Reaper to record myself, and I can tell you your problem is to search somewhere else.
With the amps and effects that are coming with the soft, and your soundcard, you should be able to have very reactive signals.
I can't compare with a real amp (I only play at home), but guitar => soundcard => Reaper + Guitar Rig5 should do the job.
I sometimes put a Boss blues driver in front to play, but it is clearly not necessary.

Regards

JL

hmm, could it be so easy that my computer is "out of date"?

+Quote Post
krakou
post Nov 22 2015, 09:32 AM
Post #15

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Anders Karlsson @ Nov 21 2015, 09:22 PM) *
hmm, could it be so easy that my computer is "out of date"?

I you want I can make some snap & screenshots of my configuration this afternoon..

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
post Nov 22 2015, 12:19 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (krakou @ Nov 22 2015, 08:32 AM) *
I you want I can make some snap & screenshots of my configuration this afternoon..

that would be very kind of you. i appreciate it.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Nov 22 2015, 01:09 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 4.733

QUOTE (krakou @ Nov 22 2015, 09:32 AM) *

if you could give us some screen shots of your settings as well , this will help. Is the input volume up on the 2i2 ?

+Quote Post
krakou
post Nov 22 2015, 03:28 PM
Post #18

Learning Roadie

So my guitar (Strat ri62 => single coils, not high output metal pickups) is plugged into my Komplete audio 6 with gain at 50%.
I put you here snapshots of everything and the result with a short sample.
Honestly, I'm not a master in the domain of recording at all, and almost everything is with default settings.
I've choose a default metal plugin..
If you have questions, of course feel free to ask.

This post has been edited by krakou: Nov 22 2015, 03:29 PM
Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SampleSlip.mp3 ( 399.79K ) Number of downloads: 28

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
post Nov 22 2015, 03:35 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (krakou @ Nov 22 2015, 02:28 PM) *
So my guitar (Strat ri62 => single coils, not high output metal pickups) is plugged into my Komplete audio 6 with gain at 50%.
I put you here snapshots of everything and the result with a short sample.
Honestly, I'm not a master in the domain of recording at all, and almost everything is with default settings.
I've choose a default metal plugin..
If you have questions, of course feel free to ask.

Thx for your uploaded pics and help. My gain level on i is about 60%. If i increase the level i reduce the sound quality. I see that your input knob in GR5 isnt very high. If i increase that knob my input is getting better.
Im am using the regular settings in GR5 (V-solo, 80-solo) and so on. Do i need to add some effects? I do have an old and slow computer. It my effecting guitar rig?

My soundcard settings is excactly the same as yours except its Focusrite.

I must admit, if i increase my knobs my signal inprovse radicaly.

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Nov 22 2015, 03:42 PM

+Quote Post
krakou
post Nov 22 2015, 03:56 PM
Post #20

Learning Roadie

If I load the Vsolo on the standalone GuitarRig5 app (not the VST), it takes 8% cpu on my computer.

And that preset already has effects, appart from the High gain amp, there is distortion and delay.
I don't really understand what you would gain with other effects.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2017 - 07:23 PM