Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Telling A Gibson Sg Apart From An Epiphone Sg
Scott Gentzen
post Jul 24 2007, 12:52 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.080

Something like an SG Standard and an Epiphone G-400 (or some other copy)look awful similar to me. I'm wondering if anyone knows how one would tell whether a potentially unknown guitar is body-wise.

I came across someone that is selling what they think is an SG Standard for a really good price so I figured I'd take a look and see if it's real or not. I'm not inclined to think fraud but I'd like to be able take a look with a bit more knowledge than I have right now if possible.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hemlok
post Jul 24 2007, 12:55 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1.286

Headstock. One says Gibson, the cheap copy says Epiphone. Also if you look closely at the Epiphone things just look a bit cheap.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
post Jul 24 2007, 01:04 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 23 2007, 11:55 PM) *
Headstock. One says Gibson, the cheap copy says Epiphone. Also if you look closely at the Epiphone things just look a bit cheap.

Oops. I meant to mention the headstock. Haven't seen it myself yet. Assuming that it says Gibson on it already, which is why I meant to just talk about the body. I probably should just drop in on the local GC before I go look and see for myself.

Is it safe to assume that the difference in construction is pretty obvious when you hold them side by side?

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Jul 24 2007, 01:10 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Jul 23 2007, 06:52 PM) *
Something like an SG Standard and an Epiphone G-400 (or some other copy)look awful similar to me. I'm wondering if anyone knows how one would tell whether a potentially unknown guitar is body-wise.

I came across someone that is selling what they think is an SG Standard for a really good price so I figured I'd take a look and see if it's real or not. I'm not inclined to think fraud but I'd like to be able take a look with a bit more knowledge than I have right now if possible.

be careful. it is rare for copies to be exact, but unless it is obviously junkie, you may not be able to tell without a side by side comparison. don't know if there are Chinese bogus SG's out there, like they have for Les Pauls and others. Some people are buying these guitars, and then trying to pass them off as the real thing.

Get the serial number, and call gibson. Gibson is real good about validating serial numbers. They will know the color of it based on that. Also get on internet and look at musiciansfriend pictures, front and back, look for any differences.

edit: in answer to your question, i think that in a side by side, differences should generally be apparent. Just do call Gibson, they will check out the serial.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 24 2007, 01:12 AM

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
post Jul 24 2007, 01:19 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 24 2007, 12:10 AM) *
Get the serial number, and call gibson. Gibson is real good about validating serial numbers. They will know the color of it based on that. Also get on internet and look at musiciansfriend pictures, front and back, look for any differences.

That's good news that Gibson's good about validating them. Will definitely go that route. I'm thinking not being able to get a serial would be a red-flag.

I'm definitely aware of the potential for fraud in the guitar market and am trying to be as careful as possible. This is just one of those situations where the bargain hunter in me starts to itch.

Will let y'all know.

Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Jul 24 2007, 11:20 AM
Post #6

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

There's Fender and Gibson stickers for sell so sandpaper the old sticker off, add new paint and the new sticker is a quick job.

Like ppl said, check the serial number. Start HERE!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jul 24 2007, 07:24 PM
Post #7

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

Also be wary if people have replaced parts (pickups and tuners are often changed) and if there are any repairs. Check the whole guitar over; look for signs of breaks/cracks in the wood, do the pickups tuners look ok for the age of the guitar, does the neck pain seem to have aged the same as the guitar (if not could be a part respray or could be a different neck) that sort of thing. Stuff like correct parts - I think George Gruhn did a really good book on this sort of thing but also as fkalich says the Gibson forum is a great source.

Bit of trivia - Gibson had a 'bad' period (same as Fender did when CBS bought them) many people prefer Gibsons before 1984ish and post 1989. (Not saying the ones built 1984-89 are bad, they aren't but supposedly not as 'good'.) If you get the serial number check out the production year.

Two minor details, if I remember Gibson have always used different capacitors for their tone controls routinely to Epiphone; and Epiphone are more likely to electrically shield the cavitities. Can't I'm afraid guarantee this is true for all models though. Could be another way of trying to authenticate if it's a Gibson though.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2017 - 10:07 AM