Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Overdrive Pedal
Hardtail
post Jul 26 2007, 03:51 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.967

I've become a bit of a purist lately and I really like the tone of my amp. I am looking for a clean O/D pedal that won't color my tone. The Tubescreamer TS808 was perfect but out of my price range. I tried the TS9 and it sounded good but I was scared away from it because the 2 i tried in the store both had reliability issues (they only turned off or on after stomping on the switch several times... very weird).

Any suggestions on a clean O/D pedal?

Thanks

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nick325
post Jul 26 2007, 04:00 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2.387

maybe the boss ds-1 pedal its 40$ but it might have a clean sound but i dont think so

+Quote Post
Rock
post Jul 26 2007, 04:05 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1.285

QUOTE (Hardtail @ Jul 26 2007, 03:51 AM) *
I've become a bit of a purist lately and I really like the tone of my amp. I am looking for a clean O/D pedal that won't color my tone. The Tubescreamer TS808 was perfect but out of my price range. I tried the TS9 and it sounded good but I was scared away from it because the 2 i tried in the store both had reliability issues (they only turned off or on after stomping on the switch several times... very weird).

Any suggestions on a clean O/D pedal?

Thanks

Hardtail

If you think the TS808 is perfect, then I would wait and save up for one or look for one used. Sounds like you already found what you are looking for.

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Jul 26 2007, 12:02 PM
Post #4

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

Try a Digitech Bad monkey. It's a very good OD. Either you just level up the output signal and get the sound crack up early or you can add some gain for some extra touch.

It's a kind and cooperative pedal, no out of control crazy distortion. I use it to add break up to my clean tone. Think 70's, raw country or blues. And it's cheap too, cost about half of a Boss OD and 1/3 or 1/4 of the Ibanez.

And it doesn't drain batteries in notime but last for a long time.

Bad Monkey

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jul 26 2007, 12:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
post Jul 26 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 1.697

im using a Boss Ds-1 and love it.. but again i play metal so im not sure how well it works for clean.. i don't really bother with that stuff biggrin.gif when i need clean i just turn the overdrive off.. just get an adapter for it because the battery drains really quick.

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
CrashOops
post Jul 27 2007, 01:54 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1.760

I havent heard of the DS-1 battery dying quickly? I had mine for a good month before I had to change batteries. try using higher quality ones.

not sure if the DS-1 is what the op is really looking for. dont get me wrong but isnt overdrive different than distortion?
The DS-1 is a very good pedal for distortion. plain and simple. that's all it's about. doesnt do anything else. if your looking for a nice simple distortion pedal then I would look at it, but for overdrive I'm sure Boss has a more specialized pedal.

--------------------
Ibanez GRX20 Jewel Blue

+Quote Post
Hardtail
post Jul 28 2007, 02:03 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1.967

Yes overdrive is different than distortion. I'm looking for overdrive simply to push my amp into its own natural distortion. The amp saturates well on its own... in fact I LOVE the tone but it's single channel so I am looking for an option to run the amp a little cleaner and simply use the pedal to overdrive it into distortion.

Thanks for the advice so far. I have also heard good things about the Boss OD-3. So I think I will have to run to the shop and try out an OD-3 and the badmonkey some time. Any other clean overdrives out there you guys can recommend I try?

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2017 - 06:40 PM