13 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Applied Music Theory Workout, for every level!
fzalfa
post Mar 7 2016, 05:38 PM
Post #141

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 20.796

Hi Laurent, this sounds VERY melodic and musical. I like your tone and your phrasing on this one. How was your approach used here?

Thanks Gabriel

My approach ? i try to play what i sing in my head while the BT is playing...... and i do experiements for hours, try this scale, or another one, or a mix.

But i do not alway reach to play that little song in my brain....

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Mar 7 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #142

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 20.440

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 7 2016, 05:28 PM) *
We're in the same boat here Tom, I'm struggling with the fast backing and getting the shapes under my fingers, that's why I used the GP5 backing, it has the chords with a simple strumming pattern, I can send it to you if you don't have GP5 as i have converted to a .WAV with or without metronome.

Cheers.

Yes Phil, GP5 please. That will at least keep me working on this assignment the last days. Thanks for your help!

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 7 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #143

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

No worries,
I'll send the wav files with and without the metronome when I get home this evening smile.gif
Can you PM me your email address please, I think my attachment limit on GMC is near to full.
Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 7 2016, 09:50 PM
Post #144

There you go Tom, and anyone else who wants them. Backing track 1 GP5. NOTE: It isn't the same progression as the studio backing but it is two bars of C and two bars of F repeated. I found it helped to learn the triads even though I only played very very simple things.

Attached File  GP5_backing_with_metronome_120_bpm.mp3 ( 412.24K ) Number of downloads: 16

Attached File  GP5_backing_without_metronome_120_bpm.mp3 ( 412.24K ) Number of downloads: 19

Please let us know how you get on smile.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 8 2016, 02:47 PM
Post #145

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Mar 7 2016, 01:38 PM) *
Thanks Gabriel

My approach ? i try to play what i sing in my head while the BT is playing...... and i do experiements for hours, try this scale, or another one, or a mix.

But i do not alway reach to play that little song in my brain....

Laurent

Great one Laurent. The more you practice the smoother will be the connection between mind and guitar. Singing along while playing is a killer training to improve this connection, have you ever tried it?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 7 2016, 05:50 PM) *
There you go Tom, and anyone else who wants them. Backing track 1 GP5. NOTE: It isn't the same progression as the studio backing but it is two bars of C and two bars of F repeated. I found it helped to learn the triads even though I only played very very simple things.

Attached File  GP5_backing_with_metronome_120_bpm.mp3 ( 412.24K ) Number of downloads: 16

Attached File  GP5_backing_without_metronome_120_bpm.mp3 ( 412.24K ) Number of downloads: 19

Please let us know how you get on smile.gif

Thanks for the extra backings Phil.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Mar 8 2016, 02:51 PM
Post #146

Learning Roadie

Singing along while playing is a killer training to improve this connection, have you ever tried it?

as i can i do it, but if i'm not alone i sing inside and sometime i really sing without be aware of

i also spend time with an axe while i watch TV, i try to play along all i can hear !!!

specialy singing contest, i can really do some killer improvisation on !

Laurent

edit: sometime i try to sing over my guitar, specialy with Opeth song, because it's slow and pretty nice.

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Mar 8 2016, 02:53 PM

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 9 2016, 09:47 PM
Post #147

OK folks,

For those of you struggling a bit with this one, I've created single chord backings from the GP5 file. They are 10 minutes long so plenty of time to think about your licks with these very few notes.

I've left the metronome out as you can switch it on in your DAW and if you want it longer you can just drag it to extend it wink.gif

I've also included the files with metronome in case anyone is participating in the background and doesn't have a DAW, you can put it onto your MP3 player and jam along.

Attached File  GP5_C_only_backing_without_metronome_120_bpm.mp3 ( 22.74MB ) Number of downloads: 14

Attached File  GP5_C_only_backing_with_metronome_120_bpm.mp3 ( 22.74MB ) Number of downloads: 11

Attached File  GP5_F_only_backing_without_metronome_120_bpm.mp3 ( 22.74MB ) Number of downloads: 12

Attached File  GP5_F_only_backing_with_metronome_120_bpm.mp3 ( 22.74MB ) Number of downloads: 12

Hope this helps smile.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 13 2016, 08:12 PM
Post #148

New assignment day smile.gif or are you extending the last one Gab?

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 13 2016, 08:43 PM
Post #149

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil, yes, we've reached the deadline which doesn't mean that students can continue working and sharing takes based on previous assignments. I'm preparing a new one to be shared here in the next days so stay tuned!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 13 2016, 09:30 PM
Post #150

Will do,

The beauty of these long times between assignments is that if you have had life problems and or holidays that have slowed you down, you have plenty of time to continue working on earlier assignments as well as the new one. For me it's great, hopefully it's good for others too.

Thanks Gab

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 15 2016, 03:35 PM
Post #151

Instructor
Group Icon

ASSIGNMENT III: Blues approaches

Hello guys! In this new assignment we will get into blues. The idea is that you learn some basic theory behind blues but also apply it over a backing track and MAKE MUSIC!

There are many tricks and approaches that can be used over a blues progression, and this time we will get into a 12 bar blues progression in A and we'll use the backing from a lesson by Bogdan: LINK.

This is a classic 12 bar blues progression:

Attached Image

Backing track: Attached File  12_Bar_Blues_Blues_backing_track_in_A_major_scale__A_minor_scale.mp3 ( 879.92K ) Number of downloads: 27

You can use THIS THREAD to learn all the theory behind this progression and the approaches that we will use.

Approach 1

Blues Scale:

The blues scale is basically a Pentatonic Minor scale with the addition of the b5 note, commonly called blue note. It's the first choice by players when jamming over a blues so it's a good idea to lear the fingering and practice over the backing track:

Read more about this scale HERE at the "1.2 Minor Blues Scales" section.

Approach 2

Pentatonic Major Scale:

Blues players usually mix blues scale with Pentatonic Major so it's good to be able to visualize both scale in the same place and experiment switching from one to the other. It will sound better over chord I, but I let you to experiment over each chord and take your own conclusions. Don't limit yourself, experiment!

Read more about this HERE, at the "1.3 Major Pentatonic Scales" section.

Approach 3

7th arpeggios:

As this progression is a dominant blues you can also follow the chords with dominant arpeggios. The good thing of this is that your phrasing will sound very connected with the progression. This makes you note where the chord notes are so you are always connected with the chord, however it's important to use extra notes (from pentatonic, chromatic or full scales) to make your soloing sound more interesting.

Learn each arpeggio, and try to follow the progression with arpeggios, Once you are comfortable start creating phrases with them.

A7 arpeggio:

D7 arpeggio:

E7 arpeggio:

Approach 4

Combine all previous approaches!

DEADLINE: April 15th

Who is in?

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Mar 15 2016, 11:09 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 15 2016, 03:43 PM
Post #152

IN! smile.gif

This will be fun. Is it ok to overlay the pentatonic scale over the blues scale and use the notes as though they are one "scale" or one block of available notes?

I hope this makes sense smile.gif

Cheers Gab

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Mar 15 2016, 04:12 PM
Post #153

Learning Roadie

i'm in !!!

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Mar 15 2016, 05:32 PM
Post #154

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 20.440

That's a lot to explore - I will be in too. smile.gif

Is D7 dominant chord not these notes: D-F#-A-C ?
Then the arpeggio would be:

This post has been edited by Tom51: Mar 15 2016, 08:53 PM

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Mar 16 2016, 10:29 AM
Post #155

Learning Roadie

Hi Gabriel

when i play on with A major penta, sometimes it sound so awfull and sometime it sound good !!!!!!

both scales seem to work on the BT, but i do not kow why , the A major penta sound weird sometimes....

edit:

first assignement take, A blues scale

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-377054242/12bars

Laurent

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Mar 16 2016, 01:21 PM

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 16 2016, 01:39 PM
Post #156

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 15 2016, 11:43 AM) *
IN! smile.gif

This will be fun. Is it ok to overlay the pentatonic scale over the blues scale and use the notes as though they are one "scale" or one block of available notes?

I hope this makes sense smile.gif

Cheers Gab

Hi Phil, I don't understand what you exactly mean... could you go deeper with the idea?

QUOTE (Tom51 @ Mar 15 2016, 01:32 PM) *
That's a lot to explore - I will be in too. smile.gif

Is D7 dominant chord not these notes: D-F#-A-C ?
Then the arpeggio would be:

You're totally right. It's fixed!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 16 2016, 01:45 PM
Post #157

Hello Gab,
I meant just put all the notes together from both scales and use them as you wish, as though you had superimposed one scale diagram over the other or should we use one scale at a time for our phrases?
Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 16 2016, 02:16 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 16 2016, 01:49 PM
Post #158

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Mar 16 2016, 06:29 AM) *
Hi Gabriel

when i play on with A major penta, sometimes it sound so awfull and sometime it sound good !!!!!!

both scales seem to work on the BT, but i do not kow why , the A major penta sound weird sometimes....

edit:

first assignement take, A blues scale

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-377054242/12bars

Laurent

Hi Laurent, great to know that you are experimenting with the different approaches. This first take sound good, but you need to continue practicing to create more consistent phrases and also to add more embellishments like vibrato, slides, bending, etc... this is a good first step, keep going!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Mar 16 2016, 02:22 PM
Post #159

Learning Roadie

Hi Laurent, great to know that you are experimenting with the different approaches. This first take sound good, but you need to continue practicing to create more consistent phrases and also to add more embellishments like vibrato, slides, bending, etc... this is a good first step, keep going!

lets' go !!!

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 16 2016, 02:46 PM
Post #160

Instructor
Group Icon

I just commented your take at the mentoring program too Laurent. Great to see you practicing a lot! smile.gif

Some inspiration for everybody:

Ford is also using some more complex stuff here, but he mostly uses blues scale, pentatonics and dominant arpeggios. Notice how he connects phrases and make the solo evolve.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017 - 01:20 AM