13 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Applied Music Theory Workout, for every level!
Tom51
post Mar 23 2016, 03:37 PM
Post #181

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 20.440

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 23 2016, 02:05 PM) *
Hi mate, you have to be sure that you are reaching the correct pitch, so play the 6th fret first and then bend from 5th for a few times before you start improvising over the backing. Only little detail, this trick works better over the I7 chord, in this case A7 so please avoid it when the other two chords are played in the backing. Also, don't use it as a target note, use it as a passing note to a chord tone, preferable the root (A).

Yes, my bends are flat. My ears are not really familiar with C# yet. And of course it makes sense only to bend from c to c# over an A7 chord and not over D7 or E7. Understood.
Currently I feel I make one step forward and two steps back...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Mar 23 2016, 05:42 PM
Post #182

Learning Roadie

After watching great blues players vids I realized that I am on the wrong path. I made the mistake to use the backing just as a rhythm pattern but did not listen to the chords! I stopped my noodling on the guitar and got back to the beginning and stayed very close to the given chord progression, did I ?! (this is a question ....)
Its very simple and no bends etc. but I feel that is the way to go on from? As always my take is raw and need polishing .... wink.gif
...and my guitar is too loud in the mix.

https://soundcloud.com/user619267345/amt-assignment1-ampen-take4

This post has been edited by Tom51: Mar 23 2016, 05:44 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 23 2016, 10:08 PM
Post #183

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

Another go with the blues scale, I must try and use the pentatonic major also but I am shying away from it at the moment because it's not comfortable, I know, I know, it won't get comfortable unless I practise it rolleyes.gif laugh.gif I will do that but I keep getting ideas in the blues scale.

Nothing special just throwing some ideas together, hopefully they will come together one day smile.gif

Cheers Gab.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-3-take-8-blues-scale

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 23 2016, 10:16 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 24 2016, 03:21 PM
Post #184

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Tom51 @ Mar 23 2016, 01:42 PM) *
After watching great blues players vids I realized that I am on the wrong path. I made the mistake to use the backing just as a rhythm pattern but did not listen to the chords! I stopped my noodling on the guitar and got back to the beginning and stayed very close to the given chord progression, did I ?! (this is a question ....)
Its very simple and no bends etc. but I feel that is the way to go on from? As always my take is raw and need polishing .... wink.gif
...and my guitar is too loud in the mix.

https://soundcloud.com/user619267345/amt-assignment1-ampen-take4

hehehe two steps forward here! smile.gif

Yes mate, this is the direction. Try to slowly add embellishments as bending, vibrato, slide... as well as some more variation. I recommend you to continue listening to blues masters and try to emulate them, that's exactly how they developed their own style. There wasn't guitar pro, books or guitarmasterclass in those days. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 23 2016, 06:08 PM) *
Another go with the blues scale, I must try and use the pentatonic major also but I am shying away from it at the moment because it's not comfortable, I know, I know, it won't get comfortable unless I practise it rolleyes.gif laugh.gif I will do that but I keep getting ideas in the blues scale.

Nothing special just throwing some ideas together, hopefully they will come together one day smile.gif

Cheers Gab.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-3-take-8-blues-scale

Nice phrasing here. It's good to continue exploring the blues scale, the possibilities are endless. I have the suspect that you are focusing your phrasing on the same part of the neck. Explore new areas!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 24 2016, 03:31 PM
Post #185

Thanks Gab,

I did move up an octave but I'll find the blues scale elsewhere in the same key and try that.

Cheers

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 24 2016, 03:39 PM
Post #186

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 24 2016, 11:31 AM) *
Thanks Gab,

I did move up an octave but I'll find the blues scale elsewhere in the same key and try that.

Cheers

yeah, to the same shape a higher octave, don't you?

I mean exploring all the other scale shapes. You'll find fresh phrases coming. Let's use this workout to eliminate blind spots... wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 24 2016, 10:09 PM
Post #187

Thanks Gab,

As request, blues scale in A minor all over the neck. I had to use the scale generator in "ALL" position as a visual reference. It's not great, it would be more suitable in a Charlie Chaplin film than anything. There are a couple of phrases I Ike but the general feel isn't bluesy. How do we inject the blues into our music? I prefer Take 8 myself.

In places my fingers get tangled up as you will hear but I'm throwing it out there anyway, it's only because they aren't familiar with the positions yet smile.gif I have tried to do some hammer ons like SRV does when he plays the same hammer on for a while but I can't get the timing right so I haven't done that on this take.

Cheers buddy.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/theory-assignment-3-take-9-blues-scale-over-neck

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 25 2016, 09:51 AM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Mar 25 2016, 11:30 AM
Post #188

Learning Roadie

Still working with Am Blues scale. Next tries will be with major pentatonic and/or arpeggios.
As you recommended Gab - I developed the basic theme further I slowly included a little phrasing like a slide or legato an a bend with wide vibrato.

https://soundcloud.com/user619267345/amt-assignment1-ampen-take5

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 25 2016, 09:40 PM
Post #189

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 24 2016, 06:09 PM) *
Thanks Gab,

As request, blues scale in A minor all over the neck. I had to use the scale generator in "ALL" position as a visual reference. It's not great, it would be more suitable in a Charlie Chaplin film than anything. There are a couple of phrases I Ike but the general feel isn't bluesy. How do we inject the blues into our music? I prefer Take 8 myself.

In places my fingers get tangled up as you will hear but I'm throwing it out there anyway, it's only because they aren't familiar with the positions yet smile.gif I have tried to do some hammer ons like SRV does when he plays the same hammer on for a while but I can't get the timing right so I haven't done that on this take.

Cheers buddy.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/theory-assignment-3-take-9-blues-scale-over-neck

Cool, great to hear you exploring the scale deeper. There are some nice bluesy moments here, while some other parts are not on spot. I can notice that you are still getting familiar with the scale. You don't need to use the whole fret-board in one solo, but it's good to dedicate some time to each part of the neck to find new ideas.

One of the main secrets to sound bluesy is the use of the dominant arpeggios to follow the chords and combine them wisely with the pentatonic scale. Have you been experimenting with the arpeggios?

QUOTE (Tom51 @ Mar 25 2016, 07:30 AM) *
Still working with Am Blues scale. Next tries will be with major pentatonic and/or arpeggios.
As you recommended Gab - I developed the basic theme further I slowly included a little phrasing like a slide or legato an a bend with wide vibrato.

https://soundcloud.com/user619267345/amt-assignment1-ampen-take5

So cool Tom! I like how you managed phrases on this one. I'd love to hear you playing this solo again (or a close variations) but with more feeling. By more feeling I mean, more vibrato, bending, and more use of dynamics as an expressing tool. It would be cool to focus on feeling now that you now what notes you'll play. What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 25 2016, 10:18 PM
Post #190

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 25 2016, 08:40 PM) *
Cool, great to hear you exploring the scale deeper. There are some nice bluesy moments here, while some other parts are not on spot. I can notice that you are still getting familiar with the scale. You don't need to use the whole fret-board in one solo, but it's good to dedicate some time to each part of the neck to find new ideas.

One of the main secrets to sound bluesy is the use of the dominant arpeggios to follow the chords and combine them wisely with the pentatonic scale. Have you been experimenting with the arpeggios?

Thanks Gab,

I haven't looked at the arpeggios yet, they scare me after the last assignment biggrin.gif
I'll look into it more when I get home on Monday or Tuesday.
Cheers dude

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Mar 26 2016, 02:00 PM
Post #191

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 25 2016, 09:40 PM) *
So cool Tom! I like how you managed phrases on this one. I'd love to hear you playing this solo again (or a close variations) but with more feeling. By more feeling I mean, more vibrato, bending, and more use of dynamics as an expressing tool. It would be cool to focus on feeling now that you now what notes you'll play. What do you think?

Hehe biggrin.gif
Yes, that is great idea. Thanks Tom.

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 28 2016, 08:50 PM
Post #192

Hello Gab,

I've had a look at using the arpeggios but I really struggle to listen to when the chords are changing, particularly from 00:29, I guess my ears are useless sad.gif I can follow it when I look at the progression in GP5 but if I shut my eyes I really struggle. Is there any way for me to label parts of the wav in Reaper so that I can see when the changes occur? If not, for now I have cut out the parts in the different keys and have a track for all of the A sections, a track for the D sections and a track for the E sections, then at least I can see when the "key" is changing, see img below, I know this is kind of cheating but I'm hoping the visual reference will help my ears out and hopefully they will learn to recognise the changes.
If anyone else is using Reaper and would like me to email this to them just ask wink.gif

Cheers Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 28 2016, 09:29 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 29 2016, 01:39 PM
Post #193

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, this is a good idea to solve the problem that you are having identifying the chord changes. I think that it's ok to use this method, but only if you put attention to how each change sounds in order to train your ears while practising. Don't let this be a visual only method because it won't be useful for the future.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Mar 29 2016, 02:05 PM
Post #194

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 20.796

Hi Gabriel

Cannot make something sweet in A penta major ! al i do sound weird !!!

it's a nightmare

these takes mix both scale

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-377054242/12-bars

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-377054242/12-bars-2

Laurent

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Mar 29 2016, 03:49 PM

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 29 2016, 03:32 PM
Post #195

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Mar 29 2016, 10:05 AM) *
Hi Gabriel

Cannot make something sweet in A penta major ! al i do sound weird !!!

it's a nightmare

Laurent

Ok, let's skip it by now and experiment with Dominant arpeggios, deal?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Mar 29 2016, 04:53 PM
Post #196

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 20.796

deal?

let's go !

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 29 2016, 08:36 PM
Post #197

Hello Gab,

I've had a go at the arpeggios, really struggled. Need to learn them like scales and get them under my fingers before I carry on. I'll try the arpeggios again tomorrow. I find it very difficult going from one to the other particularly when there is only one bar in some areas.

Having the DAW tracks set up split for the chord changes did seem to help though so I'm hoping in time I my ears will adapt.

After 20 minutes I decided to have another go at the blues scale. I wasn't getting many ideas tonight, maybe tiredness is the reason. Anyway, I recorded something and here it is.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-3-take-10-blues-scale

Cheers Gab smile.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 30 2016, 02:38 PM
Post #198

Instructor
Group Icon

Nice new take Phil, I like how relaxed sounds your playing. It's lacking some intensity in any part to have a more defined evolution but sound tasty and cool enough to be done at the end of a demanding practice session.

About the arpeggios, yes, that's normal. You won't learn everything in one day, you'll need time to incorporate each one and to feel comfortable combining it over different chords. Take your time to digest the new stuff.

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Mar 29 2016, 12:53 PM) *
let's go !

Laurent

Great! Looking forward your news. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Mar 30 2016, 05:22 PM
Post #199

Learning Roadie

So I was trying to get some blues feeling into my playing. Also made some changes in the second part. Its really tricky to implement some bends so that you feel they have to be there . I spend a few evenings but dropped most ideas. Also not so happy with my tone this time.

Tom

https://soundcloud.com/user619267345/amt-assignment1-ampen-take6

This post has been edited by Tom51: Mar 30 2016, 05:23 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 31 2016, 01:32 PM
Post #200

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Tom, this doesn't sound natural yet. I think that the previous take was more relaxed and connected with the backing. Also I like the second part most in the previous version but don't worry, this is something normal, you are at an exploring stage and you'll get random results.

Have you been working on arpeggios? I think that visualizing arpeggios will help you to make your solo connect much more with the chords, and this is one of the main things lacking on your solo.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2017 - 01:46 AM