> Tested Many Pedals (again)
Mertay
post Jan 25 2016, 10:51 AM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

My friend bought a bunch of pedals since the last time I saw him, I had a great time testing them last night;

Radial Hot British; Great Marshall dist. sounding pedal. Has a Tube inside, loads of controls to shape the tone and shreds great. They're expensive new but have been around for a long time so don't miss if you find one used for a good price.

Marshall jackhammer; extremely affordable even bought new and really good sound. So good it was really close to the radial as the radial was a tiny bit more organic and more flexable. I'd pick this over a ds1 any day for shred stuff, might actually buy one to see if I prefer it over my boss mt2.

Boss cs-3; Tested this after an MXR comp. and it sucked smile.gif

MXR super comp.; while not bad for clean stuff (custom comp. does cleans better), loved it for distortion boosts. Compared to an overdrive boost you get more bass and the dist. pedals sound deeper, more amp-like (wouldn't waste time to search a bassy OD if something like that is needed). It should be similar to the more affordable dyna comp. as far as I know, we tested with bunch of dist. pedals and all sounded great with it.

DS1; been a while since I played one, my friend uses it like an OD which is cool. Didn't like it again with OD boosted, the MXR made it sound really nice though as seems it likes very bassy boost before it.

Moog MF drive; Very clean OD sound, aside the fact it can be used as a wahwah the OD section is designed for vintage amps to preserve tone rather than massive boosts. If someone is looking for a klon type thing but just different definitly try it.

Tech 21 liverpool; As someone who dislikes classic sansamp, these character series are awesome. The liverpool is voiced as a VOX, can be plugged to a soundcard or mixer and thats all needed. It indeed sounded vox-like and the tone is very usable, the cab can be disabled so it can be used as a dist/OD pedal. There are a few models that sounds like different amps, check them out an keep in mind if too expensive Joyo klones them too (check youtube for comparison).

Edit; seems the mxr dyna comp preserves the output unlike the super comp. Good news is they're the same price smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jan 25 2016, 01:16 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 25 2016, 12:24 PM
Post #2

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 25 2016, 10:51 AM) *
Radial Hot British; Great Marshall dist. sounding pedal. Has a Tube inside, loads of controls to shape the tone and shreds great. They're expensive new but have been around for a long time so don't miss if you find one used for a good price.

I have been drooling at that one for a long time - supposedly it does the ' hot Marshall Plexi in a box' really well

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jan 25 2016, 12:59 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 25 2016, 11:24 AM) *
I have been drooling at that one for a long time - supposedly it does the ' hot Marshall Plexi in a box' really well

As a distortion pedal its really good, wouldn't be easy to replace it for something better for that vibe but I wouldn't expect it to work as good in other ways.

Lower gain was cool and very usable but not as good as high-gain (there is a plexi model too from radial as I guess its better for that), we didn't test it with the fx loop or direct in to soundcard but I'm almost sure it won't sound as full as an amp. Would work great though with a plug-in amp as thats how I use my pedals.

After the vox emulation on the tech 21 I'm thinking more about the british version. Here is a vid. thats direct to soundcard;

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jan 25 2016, 01:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Jan 26 2016, 12:22 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

I had radial hot british for some time. It helped to make my american hi-gain amp sound "the british way". IT was very...I mean veeery good for a stomp distortion but still not the same as a british distortion straight from the amp. Since my "heavy days" where almost gone backthen I decided to sell the amp and buy something more british-sounding. But again hot british would be my favorite from distrortion pedals right next to Plexitone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gnarkill
post Jan 26 2016, 06:26 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 20.530

I have the Boss CS-3, and I know I dont like it that much, but I was wondering if I just didnt like a compressor that much.

Any recommendations there? I know I have seen good things about the TC Electronics.

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jan 26 2016, 07:38 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE (gnarkill @ Jan 26 2016, 05:26 PM) *
I have the Boss CS-3, and I know I dont like it that much, but I was wondering if I just didnt like a compressor that much.

Any recommendations there? I know I have seen good things about the TC Electronics.

The boss vs mxr was night and day to be honest. Aside tone, the mxr's timings were very natural/transparent on various attack times while I could feel unwanted movement (and my friend too noticed it while listening to me playing) with the boss easily even under heavy distortion.

I can't remember the exact guitar but it was probably a Tele, maybe the boss could have worked better with something different though wouldn't expect it to surpass. I don't have much experience with different compressors but definitly give the mxr super comp. a shot.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jan 26 2016, 07:39 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Jan 26 2016, 08:12 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

I had a simialar impression on boss vs mxr difference smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Feb 2 2016, 12:18 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Tested Wampler Soveregin; It sort of has its own thing going on, not british but not mesa like either. The mid knob is extremely useful and the boost complements the tone and not just increases the gain.

Funny thing was it didn't like low output, traditional vocied pickups when cranked. Got sometimes almost fuzzy or the high-end sounded funny even if we used other pedals for boost or tone shaping.

Does great with ibanez type modern sounding guitars, some even better than the radial hot british. Its not about the output of the pickups but the tone which was interesting. Hot british was more accepting, from hot to moderate gain pickups. The ds1 performed best with a p90 voiced epiphone gibson.

I also borrowed the jackhammer, since my usual preset was matched for the boss mt2 it didn't work as good as I expected. On distortion mode it gets too dark, on overdrive mode it can be very shreddy too but my guitars high freq.s bleed too much.

It does sound more organic though. I'll have to test some cab. ir's, if I can also manage to fit it easy like the mt2 in amix and find a solution to the darkness then I'll consider buying one...

While testing we had 4 Tele's, 3 ibanez (one was 7 string), 1 strat type dean, 1 epiphone LP and almost all these guitar were modified smile.gif

I also tested a behringer soundcard biggrin.gif did some recording and its actually good, it uses midas preamps which I liked when using a console years ago. I wonder how long it will last smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 2 2016, 12:23 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2017 - 11:57 AM