> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Closed TopicStart new topic
> MANOWAR for Beginners, Lesson By Lian Gerbino
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
6 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3
post Jan 27 2016, 03:04 PM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 21.044

Original lesson: MANOWAR for Beginners by Lian Gerbino

Here's my take of this lesson. There's still some work to make it perfect. After a jazz lesson (jazz swing lead), I've taken pleasure to play an heavy metal lesson.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 28 2016, 01:56 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hi Alex,

This lesson is evolving well based on your progress at the mentoring program. You are getting more comfortable with the rhythm, chord changes as well as the solo section. During the next days of practice you still need to focus on:

- Making the gallop sound even tighter.
- Checking the pitch of power chords. For any reason I heard them a bit out of tune. Maybe it's extra pressure, or maybe just that your guitar is not correctly tuned.
- Practicing bending and vibrato to make it sound more consistent.

Write down this things and practice working on 1 at a time.

Keep on rocking.

My lessons

Don't miss my New Guitar Session at VCHAT,
this Wednesday at 20 hs (London Time).

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Jan 28 2016, 04:15 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

Hi Alex, this is a cool lesson to practise. It's got chunky riffs and it's Manowar!

You perform the gallop very well.. a lot of people have trouble with this rhythm but you do a very good job here.

The main issue I see in the riff section is that you're not playing the chords quite right. Lian adds an extra note on the E string but this is not the root note of the chord. You appear to be playing the chords of E5 (which is right) then F#5, G5 then A5.

Please have another look at the tab in part 2 of the lesson. It's important to know that the 1st finger frets the E and A string (the root note of each power chord is the note on the A string) but the 3rd or 4th finger frets the D string. If you took the notes of the low E string away, you would have the correct power chord, but Lian adds the low notes to make the chord sound chunkier. This can be confusing to many people as they think the power chords should be played on the E and A strings, giving them F#5, G5 and A5 instead of B5, C5 and D5.

I hope this makes sense to you. If not, feel free to ask one of us smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Jan 30 2016, 10:45 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

Hey there! You mastered the rhythm part quite well. Both the timming on clarity of riffs are ok. I would try to wokr on the tone since there is too much treble and not enough middle frequencies - at some moments we can hear the attack very clearly but we are not able to point what notes you're playing (not enough frequency range with root notes). That's just a little tweak needed to improve it. Lian has a simialr tone and your work on trying to copy it went into good direction - it's a mattef of one or two points on the eq knob left and right rotation to make it work adn get even closer to original tone from the lesson.

While you play on the solo part, you loose that nice anc clean muting job you did for riffs part. You need to keep unused string in toucvh with your fingers. I can hear some open strings coming out from the background. In the solo part also the very first bend seems to need some pitch correction.

Aside from above you did a nice job and comparing to your previous takes of other lesson I can see your constant progress smile.gif

+Quote Post
post Feb 5 2016, 11:59 AM
Post #5

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.338

Almost there, 5.7

Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2016 - 08:23 PM