> Practicing, What do do when it's crap
Lester
post Feb 11 2016, 10:32 PM
Post #1

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.783

Hi guys,

I guess we all have them: those days when you pick up your guitar to practice and it's just crap.
Maybe because you're tired or anything.
I was wondering what you guys do on those days? just practice anyways? other habbits? smile.gif

Lester
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GuitarsANDtattoo...
post Feb 11 2016, 11:02 PM
Post #2

GMC:er

Member No.: 5.570

QUOTE (Lester @ Feb 11 2016, 03:32 PM) *
Hi guys,

I guess we all have them: those days when you pick up your guitar to practice and it's just crap.
Maybe because you're tired or anything.
I was wondering what you guys do on those days? just practice anyways? other habbits? smile.gif

Lester

I actually find that if I practice music from one of the bands I'm playing with that'll I'll level out a bit and get into the flow. I always sit down and try to write, which isn't always best for me, but if I sit down with either a pre-written band track or lick/theory/documentary video about music I find that I can ease into actual practice pretty well. If I'm tired though...whooooof...probably need the break!

--------------------
Practice, you must!

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Feb 11 2016, 11:54 PM
Post #3

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

It's different for me every time I get one of those days but I always try to break through.
Sometimes I soldier on and then it picks up and I'm back on it, other times I really struggle and think "what's the point? Why am I bothering?" I then give up on my practise time and go and spend extra time with my wife smile.gif but you can guarantee when that happens, I am twice as hungry the next day.
Just do what you feel you should do and your heart will guide you smile.gif
Cheers
Enjoy the journey
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Lester
post Feb 15 2016, 08:40 AM
Post #4

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 2.783

Thanks guys, great input as allways! smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
post Feb 15 2016, 10:04 AM
Post #5

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 14.225

On days where the practice motivation is low I go back to foundational things that I can just drill, like scale sequences, triads and arpeggios, Alt picking exercises

--------------------
My SoundCloud

PosterBoy's Bootcamp with Todd

Gear
Ibanez Rg770FM
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335
Axe Fx Ultra - GCP Pro

+Quote Post
nikeman64
post Feb 15 2016, 01:52 PM
Post #6

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 12.818

If I don't feel like concentrating myself on learning new stuff I simply don't. I used to force myself into it in the past but I don't do that anymore. Instead I relax and jam to tracks that I like. On sucha moment that might very well be Blues jam tracks. They allways work well for me. That way playing guitar remains a fun thing to do, which should be our primary goal. At the end of that "jam session" I sometimes play the licks that I actualy needed to study (but didn't want to), at a comfortable speed for 20 minutes or so. That way, I still get them in my fingers and have the satisfaction that I still did something.
Next day (or the next...) when I feel ready and hungry for studying new material or try to beat that speed record, I sharpen my knives, load my guns and have a mindblowing workout!

Nico wink.gif

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 09:39 PM