post Mar 17 2016, 10:24 PM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

http://www.guitarworld.com/blues-power-dep...ughan-s-arsenal

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Mar 17 2016, 10:56 PM
Post #2

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

There are many guitar players out there spending a small fortune to replicate his tone as much as possible.

Its very understandable, he does have an amazing tone. Aside that I'm not a fan of trying to replicate someones tone aiming 100%, SRV used incredible energy when playing. This might be the main reason we refer to most of the tone coming from the players hands.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 17 2016, 11:35 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
GeneT95
post Mar 18 2016, 12:53 AM
Post #3

GMC:er

Member No.: 4.701

Among other things. Eventually many aspects of great guitarist gear become truth or legend or myth. PremiereGuitar has an article found here about string myths, http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/String_Myths_Part_1 , which include SRV thick strings equal better tone.

SRVs string choice is in the same vein as gear setup. Simple truth is that his tone was all aspects of his playing from hands to string to amp to speaker choice to guitar to his thoughts and feel. Still, without a helluva lot of practice I'll never play 13s like SRV did on the Vids of the Blues Fest he did in Paris.

I like to learn how to create a semblance of a tone, why they have effects in a certain chain, how they use a 5 band EQ and how it sounds pre amp or in the effects loop. What amps and tubes and speaker combinations different guitarists used and how that effects tone. But I like nitty gritty. If your using an emulator, plugin, or something like an AxeFx, I think understanding how someone got certain tones helps one find their own sound or create tones they like.

I have a video lesson from Andy Timmons. And his discussion how he creates his tones was as interesting as learning ideas on technique and phrasing.

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 18 2016, 09:38 AM
Post #4

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

I could listen to and watch SRV all day. His right hand technique blows my mind and his Strat, well for me it's the daddy of all Strats
Favourite album is Couldn't Stand The Weather, love the rhythm on the title track.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 04:00 PM