Misnamed Scales
Ben Higgins
Mar 20 2016, 10:05 AM
Instructor
I would post this in theory but there's greater chance of it being seen here.......

Anyhow, turns out that both the Dorian and Phrygian modes in their original Greek derived incarnations are exactly the opposite to their modern incarnations

Attached Image

Just to make things confusing, eh?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 20 2016, 01:59 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Ben mate!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was already totally discombobulated now it's x10 laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 20 2016, 05:38 PM
Moderation Policy Director
It will probably be all different again in another 2000 years wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 21 2016, 04:34 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 20 2016, 08:38 AM) *
It will probably be all different again in another 2000 years wink.gif

Very true.
The musical alphabet used to start on A ... and had no flats or sharps (never mind that it was also 'just' and not equal temperament). Over time it adjusted around to C (with no sharps or flats). So in keeping with the 'modes' thing, that original A to A scale would have sounded like a natural minor scale (aeolian mode) to our modern ears.
*It's important to note that our modern perception of major and minor, especially in western countries, is relatively recent. Our maj and min system has barely an analog in ancient greek and roman music or in many other cultures even today.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 21 2016, 07:11 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 21 2016, 11:34 AM) *
Very true.

Interesting points.

I tend to think of music as a language just as much as speech - both change over the years to accommodate the needs of the people using it. These days. speech is written down a lot which probably tends to slow down change, but I suspect the majority of musicians alive don't write anything down ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:19 PM