Sweeping
Nick325
Jul 29 2007, 05:39 PM
GMC:er
How long did it take you to get sweeping down packed? because my 5 string sweeps are ok but its hard for my hand to keep up with my picking hand and then i slow down n practice and then i get bored. my 3 string sweep is getting better its just that my picking hand does seem to like the 3 string sweep motion.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 29 2007, 06:26 PM
Instructor
I guess this is the most popular answer on GMC: PRACTICE! biggrin.gif

Sweeping IS A VERY difficult technique and don't think you can take it down in 2 months. Your problem is the most common problem every guitar player has. But if you practice slow, with metronome you'll get it down. Boring? Yes! Efficient? YES!! So keep working on it! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Jul 29 2007, 06:51 PM
Hey... i watched all pavels sweep lessons and was not very good at them ... but in my 4 hour a day practice i will work on sweep for a total of 20 to 30 minutes. and now after two weeks the BPM are easily rising and i can see my speed increase! so PRACTICE

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 30 2007, 11:24 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ibanezkiller @ Jul 29 2007, 07:51 PM) *
Hey... i watched all pavels sweep lessons and was not very good at them ... but in my 4 hour a day practice i will work on sweep for a total of 20 to 30 minutes. and now after two weeks the BPM are easily rising and i can see my speed increase! so PRACTICE

Yeah,looks like practicing is the only solution again. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jul 30 2007, 07:24 PM
i recorded my sweeps. let me know what u think. i havent been practicing them for too long. advice?

Attached File  3_string_sweeps.wav ( 2.22MB ) Number of downloads: 156

Attached File  4_string_sweeps.wav ( 611.04K ) Number of downloads: 156

Attached File  5_string_sweeps.wav ( 1.03MB ) Number of downloads: 169

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 30 2007, 07:56 PM
Instructor
Ok so here we go:

Make sure when you play sweeps you have 2 notes on the high string of the arpeggio. In your case it's high E string. So if you are playing 3-string C major arpeggio: G-C-E-G are the notes for it. E and G will be two notes on high E string and that's what will make the number of notes suitable. See the BASICS OF SWEEPING again to catch what i am talking about. To play it with metronome naturally, you'll have to play it in 6-tuplets so set your metronome to very low bpm.

Same goes for 4-string arps. You'll always have 2 notes on high E string. In some shapes you repeat both first and last notes, in some you don't! That's where counting changes. If you repeat first and last note - depending on shape - you'll usually play in 6-tuplets. 4-string arps are usually in simple 16th notes.

Oh and - practice it with distortion on! You'll hear how your muting is going much better than on clean sound.

This post has been edited by Pavel: Jul 30 2007, 07:57 PM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 2 2007, 05:07 PM
im kind of getting the muting down on 5 string sweeps but not really on the 3 string sweeps. do you need to mute on the 3 string sweeps?

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 2 2007, 06:31 PM
Instructor
Yes - you sure need to mute on 3-string arps! smile.gif And if you re-check my 3-string arps lesson you'll see i mentioned that lot's of times! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:31 AM