Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ibanez Rg655 And Headstock Tuner
liveOASISforever
post Mar 30 2016, 09:29 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 9.844

Recently I have being really tempted in purchasing a Ibanez RG655. I have played cheaper Ibanez guitar before and did not really take to them. However I dear say a MIJ will be a different story. From what I have read it is all good news so far. I know we have some massive Ibanez fans here at GMC. What is you're input.

Attached Image

I was looking for one with the maple fretboard. I know they exist but doesn't seem that they are available in the UK.

Also between the 3 available colours that I have seen there is a price difference of £100 and the one I like the most is the dearest laugh.gif

Below is the different colours
http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/search-resu...asp?search=true

I was also looking into buying a headstock tuner. Has anyone any suggestions. Cheers
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post Mar 30 2016, 09:53 PM
Post #2

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 12.988

I'm not much help when it comes to Ibanez but as far as headstock tuners go this is what I use:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories...MF-adType%5EPLA

I've had that thing for 7 years, only had to change the battery once or twice - and I find it as accurate as any pedal tuner I've used so far.

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Mar 30 2016, 10:00 PM
Post #3

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 11.529

Yes, there's a step up in quality with the Prestige MIJ models, so I'm sure you'll be happy with it. And it has those premium pickups. I recently put a Tone Zone in one of mine, and I'm very happy with it. They've switched the bridge recently on this model to the Edge, which is a tried-and-true design. The maple fretboards can be nice, but it depends on the body color, whereas the rosewood always looks good smile.gif.

The CBM is a deep metallic finish, which doesn't seem to show in your picture, so you may get a pleasant surprise when you see it in person smile.gif. Sorry, I've no experience with a headstock tuner.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Mar 31 2016, 12:00 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

Slight detail maybe but I've always prefered rosewood if the guitars neck doesn't use binding, the hand slides better when touches the corners of the neck.

I have mixed feeling for the air-norton but aside that such guitar should serve you well for years as mine did. They should be shred ready from factory but a pro setup after purchasing always makes a difference.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 31 2016, 12:02 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 31 2016, 03:58 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

That's a fine axe smile.gif The MIJ ibby's are a pleasure to play for sure. That's a nice one there. You maybe be able to find a better deal used of course, but then you really need to play it first, especially with that kind of expenditure. But not matter how you slice it it's a fine axe and you won't regret owning it IMHO smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 30 2016, 03:29 PM) *
Recently I have being really tempted in purchasing a Ibanez RG655. I have played cheaper Ibanez guitar before and did not really take to them. However I dear say a MIJ will be a different story. From what I have read it is all good news so far. I know we have some massive Ibanez fans here at GMC. What is you're input.

Attached Image

I was looking for one with the maple fretboard. I know they exist but doesn't seem that they are available in the UK.

Also between the 3 available colours that I have seen there is a price difference of £100 and the one I like the most is the dearest laugh.gif

Below is the different colours
http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/search-resu...asp?search=true

I was also looking into buying a headstock tuner. Has anyone any suggestions. Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
post Mar 31 2016, 07:29 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Mar 30 2016, 09:53 PM) *
I'm not much help when it comes to Ibanez but as far as headstock tuners go this is what I use:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories...MF-adType%5EPLA

I've had that thing for 7 years, only had to change the battery once or twice - and I find it as accurate as any pedal tuner I've used so far.

smile.gif

Cheers Chris. That is mostly what I was looking for. One that would match up to a pedal.

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 30 2016, 10:00 PM) *
Yes, there's a step up in quality with the Prestige MIJ models, so I'm sure you'll be happy with it. And it has those premium pickups. I recently put a Tone Zone in one of mine, and I'm very happy with it. They've switched the bridge recently on this model to the Edge, which is a tried-and-true design. The maple fretboards can be nice, but it depends on the body color, whereas the rosewood always looks good smile.gif.

The CBM is a deep metallic finish, which doesn't seem to show in your picture, so you may get a pleasant surprise when you see it in person smile.gif. Sorry, I've no experience with a headstock tuner.

Yeah I really like the pickups in this guitar. Looks like I am going to have to settle for a rosewood fretboard as the only ones i can find are in the US and import plus delivery charges are very costly. Cheers mate smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 31 2016, 12:00 AM) *
Slight detail maybe but I've always prefered rosewood if the guitars neck doesn't use binding, the hand slides better when touches the corners of the neck.

I have mixed feeling for the air-norton but aside that such guitar should serve you well for years as mine did. They should be shred ready from factory but a pro setup after purchasing always makes a difference.

You know I have never had a pro setup on my guitars. Overtime I paid someone to give it a setup I wasn't very pleased with it. I do know someone that has got a very good reputation and have considered in the past to take to him but never did. Maybe I should start now I really would like to see the difference smile.gif

Cheers mate

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 31 2016, 03:58 AM) *
That's a fine axe smile.gif The MIJ ibby's are a pleasure to play for sure. That's a nice one there. You maybe be able to find a better deal used of course, but then you really need to play it first, especially with that kind of expenditure. But not matter how you slice it it's a fine axe and you won't regret owning it IMHO smile.gif

Todd

Thats good to know Todd definitely think I have my heart set on it. I will go and try it first especially because the value of the guitar. I don't mind spending £300 to £400 on a guitar and not liking it and selling it on at a loss.

I think I am going to buy it new I don't mid spending the extra money smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Mar 31 2016, 08:30 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

Its really about communication, for example I pick really light so prefer the strings to be very close and the neck streight as possible.

With the distortion I use, string buzz on E or B strings produce a nice sound as the thick natured dimarzio PU (using same PU's on that guitar but modified) helps this. The Jackson's PU's for example are really bright compared and I can't get that string buzz to sound as nice with the same setup.

So a luthier can't know these personal preferences, the guy I usually go usually plays safe and can't help it even if he knows what I like smile.gif he does an overall good job (basic setup, fret polish/level...adjusted the nut of my jackson recently) and I tweak the setup after him smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Apr 8 2016, 12:48 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

I'm dying to know!! Did you by that killer IBBY? smile.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 30 2016, 09:58 PM) *

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
post Apr 8 2016, 09:42 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 8 2016, 12:48 PM) *
I'm dying to know!! Did you by that killer IBBY? smile.gif

Hi Todd

A little update for you. Tomorrow I am going to try one out and see if I like it. I have being checking out other ibanez guitars in the same price bracket and this model has caught my eye

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-rg652ahm-ng...oE4MaAsHl8P8HAQ

Only problem is I think it was mainly set for the US market and it is not the easiest to get a hold of in the UK. I contacted Andertons music shop and they had one due in on May but it is already reserved. The next one is due June time. There is also one with a fixed bridge. A gibralter standard II I believe it is called. I would prefer the one with the trem tbh. Not sure whether to wait for the RG652 or just get the RG655.

The main reason I want a Ibanez is for the thin necks. I have problems with my hands and forearms with pain and them seizing up. I broke a bone in my hand when I was younger and never went to hospital.It has healed with a lump sticking out my hand that recently has being giving me problems. So am hoping a Ibanez neck will make things a little easier for me smile.gif

Here is the guitar in action

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2017 - 07:24 PM