> Compressor Advice Please
Phil66
post Apr 12 2016, 09:58 PM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Hello folks,
Since working in THIS thread about improving my guitar in the mix I've been seriously thinking about getting a compressor. I've watched lots of YouTube videos and I think it's the way to go for me. I have software compressors but when playing through my amp, which I enjoy because it somehow feels different to going into the PC , I want to hear what the compressor is doing while I play rather than as compression after.

I've been thinking about THIS but don't want to do anything until you've advised.

Cheers folks

--------------------

AWARD

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Apr 12 2016, 10:05 PM
Post #2

GMC:er

Member No.: 17.304

Great unit!
You can get away with less expensive and less 'tweakable' stuff but with that unit you should be able to really hone your sound into and out of the amp.

I can also personally recommend this as a close second ... http://www.barberelectronics.com/CompactTonePress.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 12 2016, 10:09 PM
Post #3

Thanks Ken,

The one you recommended seems hard to get here. I have read good things about the Keeley, it's probably more than I need at the moment but I like to look to the future and where possible, but something right first time rather than keep buying and swapping gear. That way it becomes a good old friend.

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

AWARD

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Apr 12 2016, 10:41 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

Problem is in use, software (studio grade) and guitar pedals are really different.

Pedal compressors offer more "snap" to the tone, as if you're picking harder but also sharper. Studio compressors (musically) do some-what the opposite, they help control of the dynamics by very gently squashing them. Watch some guitar stomp comressor demo's on youtube I'm sure you'll hear what I mean.

The mechanics are the same but they're tweaked with different usages in mind. My advice is to stick with software for now, compression in use can really get complicated for beginners in use and it takes a lot of effort to fully understand the subtle things it does. Thats why I'm not very fond of advising them till other tools are learned.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 13 2016, 06:24 AM
Post #5

Thanks Mertay,
I was only thinking of using it with my amp though. As you know I like to play and go. I'm not one, at the moment, who likes spending time (I don't have enough) on the computer getting a tone, but I did see how a compressor helps, particularly with fairly clean tones.
Either way, when I do go for one, do you think that Keeler is the one to go for? At least if I know that, I can put it on the back burner until the time is right.
Cheers buddy. smile.gif

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Lester
post Apr 13 2016, 08:32 AM
Post #6

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 2.783

I don't know anything about the difference between amp vs. studio, but I have used the Wampler ego compressor in live gigs, which is quite an amazing pedal smile.gif

http://wamplerpedals.com/product/ego-compressor/

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 13 2016, 08:43 AM
Post #7

Thanks Lester,

I'll bear that in mind when Mertay allows me to have one laugh.gif Not much difference in price so it's on the shortlist, or long list depending on Mertay biggrin.gif

Cheers buddy

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Apr 13 2016, 09:33 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 13 2016, 07:43 AM) *
Thanks Lester,

I'll bear that in mind when Mertay allows me to have one laugh.gif Not much difference in price so it's on the shortlist, or long list depending on Mertay biggrin.gif

Cheers buddy

smile.gif

Well then the suggestions till now are pretty good. I've never been much of a guitar compressor guy but I did use my friends MXR super comp. quite a lot lately. They're very easy to find used and sound decent incase you want to try first before inversting high-end.

Also played mxr custom comp. , it to me adds more warmth and having only 2 knobs (+2 on the back but defoult setting is nice) its easy to use. Not sure if they're anywhere near the quality of keeley or wampler but these are used a lot.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 13 2016, 09:44 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 13 2016, 10:54 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 13 2016, 09:33 AM) *
smile.gif

Well then the suggestions till now are pretty good. I've never been much of a guitar compressor guy but I did use my friends MXR super comp. quite a lot lately. They're very easy to find used and sound decent incase you want to try first before inversting high-end.

Also played mxr custom comp. , it to me adds more warmth and having only 2 knobs (+2 on the back but defoult setting is nice) its easy to use. Not sure if they're anywhere near the quality of keeley or wampler but these are used a lot.

Thanks Mertay,

I think I'm going to experiment a bit more playing clean through my PC using the Red compressor, then I will reconsider. I think, for my use using a lot of clean sound in collabs and stuff a compressor would be good. As it will be on my desk, the Keeley looks the most attractive as a desktop unit, I know looks aren't the main thing but it gets good reviews on the tube too, so win win.

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Apr 13 2016, 12:55 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Cool, you'll notice on youtube compressor pedals are usually there to enhance clean/light driven sounds feel. But keep in mind for every guitar you'll need to tweak the pedals settings as every guitars output is different.

Also just a reccomendation, try this plug-in too to compare with the focusrite red comp. as it might be easier for you; http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-kotelnikov/

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Apr 13 2016, 02:19 PM
Post #11

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 7.667

What about any of these? http://www.cheaperpedals.com/collections/compressor You could probably buy three to try for the price of the Keeley. For me, I've been finding that trying a variety of things has been the key to finding the sounds I'm looking for.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 13 2016, 02:52 PM
Post #12

Thanks Brian,

I'm in the UK so those would work out expensive with P&P and import duties. Personally I hate testing lots of different things, I get confused and can't remember what's what wacko.gif Also, I don't really know what sound I'm after but I will when I find it cool.gif My main thing is when I'm recording clean or crunch I get notes fading too quickly and then if I turn up the amp it's too loud, I've thought about using my volume pedal but when I tried I struggled to keep it even.

Cheers buddy

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 13 2016, 08:11 PM
Post #13

Interesting smile.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3xXB8VLJJA...p;nohtml5=False

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 13 2016, 08:12 PM

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 13 2016, 09:11 PM
Post #14

I downloaded the TDR compressor Mertay, but it doesn't seem to work. If I strum a chord and let it decay then switch the compressor on, nothing happens. I've tried the built in settings and even extreme knob turning. Nothing, nada, zilch. It's probably me rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 13 2016, 09:11 PM

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Apr 13 2016, 10:01 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Maybe a bug I guess, also try this then smile.gif

https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/2012/0...released-today/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 13 2016, 10:20 PM
Post #16

Thanks Mertay,

I have to admit, I've suddenly started to develop gas since opening this thread laugh.gif

What did you think of the Pete Thorn video?

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 13 2016, 11:12 PM

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post Apr 14 2016, 12:51 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 12.988

You can always look into a rack compressor as well - they make units with both XLR and 1/4" jacks

That's what I'm currently looking into

You can run it just as a compressor in your guitar rig or you can even route signal from your DAW into the compressor for using it for mixing as well.

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Apr 14 2016, 12:53 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Apr 14 2016, 01:18 AM
Post #18

The functionality and quality of the Keeley would be great for ANYTHING routed through it. In front of your amp or in line. It may not be as versatile as some software but it will sound better (when used correctly) than all but the best plug-ins. *The UA stuff is pretty great.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 14 2016, 08:18 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Apr 14 2016, 12:51 AM) *
You can always look into a rack compressor as well - they make units with both XLR and 1/4" jacks

That's what I'm currently looking into

You can run it just as a compressor in your guitar rig or you can even route signal from your DAW into the compressor for using it for mixing as well.

Thanks Chris,

You made a very good point there that I had overlooked.. XLR! I am wondering if I need xlr on the compressor though because my guitar will go straight into it so the mic will be recording the compressed signal anyway. Maybe I'm missing the point.
Cheers.

smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 14 2016, 01:18 AM) *
The functionality and quality of the Keeley would be great for ANYTHING routed through it. In front of your amp or in line. It may not be as versatile as some software but it will sound better (when used correctly) than all but the best plug-ins. *The UA stuff is pretty great.

Thanks Ken,

What's UA?

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 14 2016, 08:42 AM

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Apr 14 2016, 02:24 PM
Post #20

UA - 'Universal Audio' ...
http://www.uaudio.com/store/compressors-li...collection.html
http://www.uaudio.com/

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th January 2017 - 02:26 AM