> Purely Online Daw, Free Of Course
Todd Simpson
post Apr 16 2016, 04:42 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

There is purely online DAW that works like reaper or any other DAW really, but it lives online and uses a local app to keep things quick. The best bit is that it lets you share projects with the audio still in them, with other people. So if you want to work on a track with someone, they just login and launch ohm, and they can see the project with audio in place. Also, it supports plugins! Best part, it's free smile.gif I am curious to try this out with soemone on a collaboration project soon. See what you guys think smile.gif

https://www.ohmstudio.com/doc

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Apr 16 2016, 06:41 PM
Post #2

Experienced Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 11.529

I've used it. I've also used Indaba. It's nice for when you have a collaboration project. But it's not going to replace a native DAW for work in a studio where you're not doing remote collaboration.

I prefer the way Avid has done collaboration in ProTools. It's sort of the best of both.

I have to admit I thought these collaboration tools were going to make a bigger splash than they have.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Apr 16 2016, 07:14 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

I never suggested that it would replace a native daw for a pro studio. Just wanted to share a free option for folks to try that lets them collaborate with anyone around the world without having to drop box everything and lose time to file wrangling. With this, you just turn it on an get creative. smile.gif That's the entire point of the software and the post for that matter smile.gif

I'm not a PRO TOOLS guy myself, as I really dont' like the interface, but wads of folks love it smile.gif There is a free version also. Never tried collaborating in pro tools as it's always been a HUGE pain in the past. Thank God it sounds like they finally changed that. smile.gif

I agree too that I thought these tools would make a bigger splash. I installed it and it recognized all my plugins right away. Folks are slow to try something new as they remember having to fight reaper or whatever just to get some tracks down. It's usually more experienced players that will try new daws and such as most daws speak a similar language at some point. Sorta like learning languages, the first one after your native tongue is the hardest and it gets easier from there smile.gif

TOdd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 16 2016, 01:41 PM) *
I've used it. I've also used Indaba. It's nice for when you have a collaboration project. But it's not going to replace a native DAW for work in a studio where you're not doing remote collaboration.

I prefer the way Avid has done collaboration in ProTools. It's sort of the best of both.

I have to admit I thought these collaboration tools were going to make a bigger splash than they have.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Apr 16 2016, 08:31 PM
Post #4

Experienced Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 11.529

You're probably right. The inertia required to change DAWs is such that almost nobody ever switches smile.gif.

P.S. There's a OhmStudio demo that lets you save a few projects and it's cheap at $10 a month but AFAIK it's not free, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Apr 17 2016, 04:53 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

I just created an account and downloaded the companion app and all of it was free. So far so good smile.gif

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 16 2016, 03:31 PM) *
You're probably right. The inertia required to change DAWs is such that almost nobody ever switches smile.gif .

P.S. There's a OhmStudio demo that lets you save a few projects and it's cheap at $10 a month but AFAIK it's not free, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2017 - 05:00 PM