3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Your First Ibanez?
Todd Simpson
Apr 18 2016, 07:35 PM
GMC:er
I get asked often about buying an Ibanez guitar. It's a minefield with so many models and many new ones not very good that it can be confusing. Here is a primer. Please feel free to add smile.gif

Ibanez guitars just depend on price. Your budget will determine what you can get. What is your budget? If you can spend 700 euro, I'd suggest any used RG5 series made in japan. These are all used instruments and are 10 years old or more at this point. Here is what to look for
1.)Made in Japan
2.)Wizard Neck, (not wizard II or III)

that's pretty much it. If it has those two things it's a good fast ibby. (That is to say it will "feel" fast, the player determines the speed via precision of course) Here are some other models.

RG760 (Ibanez pickups instead of stock ibby pups), RG570, RG560, RG550, These are older guitars. The RG570 was replaced with the RG1570 and they changed the name to "Prestige". So the older guitars are really "prestige" quality instruments. Which is why they are so sought after. They are all built in the "Golden Era" late 80s early 90s. Before Ibby switched to indonesia and korea and made their necks bigger.

If you want a newer one, 2009, you can get a RG3570Z which is what BEN just got. Killer Guitar. They renamed the name to the "ultra wizard" but it's the same thing smile.gif These go $1000 U.S. so a little less Euro.

But that all assumes 500 to 1000 US. If your budget is half that, then you are more limited. I can't think of a single Ibanez made in japan that you could buy new for under $1,000.

But if you just wanna try one. You can get a 350,320, 420 series for a couple hundred bux like I did. But it's not anything like the golden era ibby.

The xiphos I just bought is something close but it's indonesian and has the WIZARD II neck (slightly bigger than the original wizard, but not as big as the wizard III). It plays well though and you can get them for $500 and it's neck through body so it has amazing sustain. And mahogany body which you usually see on more pricey guitars.

That's my intro to getting an ibby smile.gif Any additional thoughts?

P.S. SOME FOLKS HATE THIN NECKS!!!!!
For those folks, I'd say get something else like a Gibson or What not. smile.gif

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 18 2016, 07:38 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Apr 18 2016, 07:43 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm on chat with the owner of this one

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/XPT700XH

and this one too

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG570

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 19 2016, 05:21 PM
If the 570 is in decent shape, I'd say go for it smile.gif It's got that legendary wizard 1 neck which is what made those guitars so special. But they are 20 years old so you gotta make sure there is some life left on the frets and that the neck isn't warped. The necks were prone to warping under heavy gauge strings believe it or not. The new HP ultra wizard neck has titanium rods in it so prevent this.

I have a both of these guitars just a slightly different version of the xiphos and I can say both play really well. It would really depend on the condition of both guitars.

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Apr 18 2016, 02:43 PM) *
I'm on chat with the owner of this one

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/XPT700XH

and this one too

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG570

Laurent

+Quote Post
nikeman64
Apr 20 2016, 12:37 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
About 8 years ago I bought a JS 1200. I still love it, it sounds great and the playability is awesome. (It should be calibrated by a pro because I have serious intonation problems, as with the rest of my guitars, but I didn't find a good guitar engineer yet. )
I bought a signature because I thought, if it's in Joe's name... it's gotta be good. I did the same thing with a Slash signature Gibson. (I love both guitars and I will never sell them.)
But, I was wondering : How do these signature series stand , compared to the other guitars, like the "Prestige" models. Obviously, you pay more for a signature, is it worth it ?

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 20 2016, 03:42 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I have an RG1570, I got it for around £500, it was ex dem. I love it but a bit disappointed to find out it isn't really Prestige sad.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Apr 20 2016, 04:53 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 20 2016, 02:42 PM) *
I love it but a bit disappointed to find out it isn't really Prestige sad.gif

Out of curiosity, why do you say it isn't really a Prestige?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 20 2016, 05:30 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 18 2016, 07:35 PM) *
RG760 (Ibanez pickups instead of stock ibby pups), RG570, RG560, RG550, These are older guitars. The RG570 was replaced with the RG1570 and they changed the name to "Prestige". So the older guitars are really "prestige" quality instruments.

Todd

smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Apr 20 2016, 05:42 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Don't be disappointed, it's a genuine Prestige model smile.gif. That means top of the line components (including some upgrades from the 570) and QA at Fujigen.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 20 2016, 06:26 PM
QUOTE (nikeman64 @ Apr 20 2016, 11:37 AM) *
But, I was wondering : How do these signature series stand , compared to the other guitars, like the "Prestige" models. Obviously, you pay more for a signature, is it worth it ?

Very personal, yeah more expensive but aside visual you get fetrures like diferent neck/body shapes which isn't something simple to adapt like changing PU. Even some electronic components like a simple capasitor can be very hard to get.

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 20 2016, 04:42 PM) *
Don't be disappointed, it's a genuine Prestige model smile.gif. That means top of the line components (including some upgrades from the 570) and QA at Fujigen.

+1, if its made in japan the rest is history smile.gif

Though a small note, on some years the body can be made by other factorys as ibanez changes or used multiple factorys (they never had their own factory till indo models). Although necks always japan, some bodys can be from other countrys but still with selected wood.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 20 2016, 08:12 PM
Thanks folks,

It says this on HERE so doesn't look like it was made in the real Ibanez factory.

Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Fuji-gen Plant, Japan
Production Number: 274

Fuji String Instrument Production Corporation was opened in may 1960, they initially started manufacturing violins and quickly switched to classical guitar production. In 1962 electric guitar construction was started. Fujigen has a reputation for excellent quality and craftsmanship so the guitars they produce are highly regarded. They produce guitars via OEM for famous brands such as Ibanez, Epiphone, Yamaha and Fender (the import Special Interest Group nature model), G&L and others.

mellow.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Apr 20 2016, 08:39 PM
Experienced Rock Star
You can trust us on this smile.gif. Fujigen is the "real" Ibanez factory in Japan. Ibanez guitars have been produced there for decades. Ibanez has branched out and has also made guitars in Korea, Indonesia, and the U.S., but the Prestige line is currently made at Fujigen.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 20 2016, 09:11 PM
Great, so it's second best to a golden era one smile.gif Cheered me up cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Apr 20 2016, 09:22 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I know a little bit about golden era Ibanezes. Here's my collection of mid '90's Ibanezes. Prestige models are every bit as good as, if not better than, golden era Ibanezes.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 20 2016, 09:37 PM
Nice,

One guitar I would love is an R540. Are they S series? I have a Squire HMIII which is apparently what Ibanez based the S series on as a competitor to it smile.gif

Cheers for the pic smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 20 2016, 09:38 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 21 2016, 04:06 PM
It all depends on the guitar and player. Sometimes, the "name" is just that, a stars name on gear. Sometimes it's more important if they were really involved like in Joe satriannis case, he has been playing that line forever and helping Ibanez along with it to make it better. Those are great guitars smile.gif I have never played the slash so I don't know but I"m guessing it's a great Gibson smile.gif But the further down the line you go to cheap guitars, like the michael amott dean V which is $300, it matters a lot less.

BTW, the JS2000 has a prestige neck and was made in japan so it's along the lines of a prestige guitar smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (nikeman64 @ Apr 20 2016, 07:37 AM) *
About 8 years ago I bought a JS 1200. I still love it, it sounds great and the playability is awesome. (It should be calibrated by a pro because I have serious intonation problems, as with the rest of my guitars, but I didn't find a good guitar engineer yet. )
I bought a signature because I thought, if it's in Joe's name... it's gotta be good. I did the same thing with a Slash signature Gibson. (I love both guitars and I will never sell them.)

It's got a "prestige" neck and was made in Japan, so like the JS2000 in the previous post, it's pretty much on "prestige" level in terms of quality. But not only that, it really is a "Prestige" in terms of branding as far as Ibby is concerned smile.gif
http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG1570

The RG570 was the original model name of that line. It was later changed to 1570. There were two necks used on those. One neck is 1mm thicker than the original wizardon the golden era, it depends on what year it was built. But either way 1mm is really not that big a deal so either way it's a spiff neck smile.gif Prestige on the headstock now means it was built in japan and has one of the spiff necks similar to the golden era necks. They have started using titanium rods in the necks (HP ULTRA/PRESTIGE WIZARD) to keep the necks from warping like they did on the original guitars.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 20 2016, 10:42 AM) *
I have an RG1570, I got it for around £500, it was ex dem. I love it but a bit disappointed to find out it isn't really Prestige sad.gif

I agree with RAMMIKIN and nice collection btw!) They are every bit as good as they are really similar in nearly every aspect. The main difference is just brandingand a few components on the guitar. As Ibby started making cheaper guitars in other countries, they just started calling the ones made at home (japan) "Prestige" smile.gif The original wizard neck, (17mm at the nut) is what made the "Golden Era" ibbys special and that spec can still be had in the HP/ultra prestige necks. You can save a bit of money sometimes if you can find an older ibby in good shape. But that's getting harder and harder. I do like having two golden era Ibbys in my collection and would not trade them for anything. Purists may get all wadded up by me saying this but if I would have found prestiges instead, near the same price, I"d probably have them now instead of the two I have, an RG560 and 7620 (both of which later on morphed in to prestige models)

Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 20 2016, 04:22 PM) *
I know a little bit about golden era Ibanezes. Here's my collection of mid '90's Ibanezes. Prestige models are every bit as good as, if not better than, golden era Ibanezes.

Attached Image

The S series was orignally called the SABRE series (very lightweight, built for heavy touring schedules and originally partially intended for players with smaller frames and gals, and probably folks with bad backs smile.gif )

The S series of that guitar is the original Sabre that Jennifer Batten and Joe Satrianni fell in love with smile.gif

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/540S

has an original WIZARD 1 neck and all the speed of the RG series, just stripped of the extra weight. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 20 2016, 04:37 PM) *
Nice,

One guitar I would love is an R540. Are they S series? I have a Squire HMIII which is apparently what Ibanez based the S series on as a competitor to it smile.gif

Cheers for the pic smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 21 2016, 04:08 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 21 2016, 06:02 PM
I thought it was the Radius that Satch liked, and his sig range is based on that. I had an S and it was just like my Squire HMIII. The 540R is the one with the tapered body like Joe plays in the official black and white AWMAWY video.
http://www.axebition.com/blog/ibanez-radius-series

Cheers

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 21 2016, 04:06 PM) *
The S series was orignally called the SABRE series (very lightweight, built for heavy touring schedules and originally partially intended for players with smaller frames and gals, and probably folks with bad backs smile.gif )

The S series of that guitar is the original Sabre that Jennifer Batten and Joe Satrianni fell in love with smile.gif

has an original WIZARD 1 neck and all the speed of the RG series, just stripped of the extra weight. smile.gif

Todd

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Apr 21 2016, 06:11 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 20 2016, 08:37 PM) *
One guitar I would love is an R540. Are they S series?

No, the 540R is different than the S series. It has a different profile and most importantly, the S series is a mahogany body. It's the dense mahogany body that gives the S series a surprisingly beefy feel considering the thin body. Yes, the JS series is more similar to the 540R than the S series.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 21 2016, 06:14 PM
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 21 2016, 06:11 PM) *
No, the 540R is different than the S series. It has a different profile and most importantly, the S series is a mahogany body. It's the dense mahogany body that gives the S series a surprisingly beefy feel considering the thin body. Yes, the JS series is more similar to the 540R than the S series.

Sorry, I typed that badly. I meant I want a 540R and are those S series in the picture smile.gif I didn't mean are 540R S series. My bad, sorry.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Apr 21 2016, 06:33 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Oh smile.gif. Yes, those are all S540's. L to R: '97 Green flametop, '95 Purple flametop, '93 Oil finish, '92 Antique violin, '90 Purple neon

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 21 2016, 07:00 PM
I think you may be talking about this one smile.gif

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/540R

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 21 2016, 01:02 PM) *
I thought it was the Radius that Satch liked, and his sig range is based on that. I had an S and it was just like my Squire HMIII. The 540R is the one with the tapered body like Joe plays in the official black and white AWMAWY video.
http://www.axebition.com/blog/ibanez-radius-series

Cheers

They made an S series 540 which is linked in my first reply. The R is the Radius series and the S is of course, the S series.

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 21 2016, 01:11 PM) *

Very spiff collection!

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Apr 21 2016, 01:33 PM) *
Oh smile.gif. Yes, those are all S540's. L to R: '97 Green flametop, '95 Purple flametop, '93 Oil finish, '92 Antique violin, '90 Purple neon

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 21 2016, 06:59 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 08:00 AM