6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paradise Lost Collab, Let's make a new hit!
Kristofer Dahl
post May 5 2016, 03:54 PM
Post #61

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 5 2016, 04:11 PM) *
Here's a quick draft for some vocals:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/vocals-for-collab-draft-1

I wish I could sing like you, Kris!

Cool, sounds so much deeper and darker than my vocals!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 5 2016, 09:48 PM
Post #62

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 5 2016, 11:11 AM) *
Here's a quick draft for some vocals:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/vocal-for-collab-draft-1

I wish I could sing like you, Kris!

Awesome vocals. Very dark. I like it a lot! Please record over the other parts to have some back for the final mix.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post May 5 2016, 09:51 PM
Post #63

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.298

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 5 2016, 10:48 PM) *
Awesome vocals. Very dark. I like it a lot! Please record over the other parts to have some back for the final mix.

Will do so tomorrow smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post May 6 2016, 12:43 PM
Post #64

Learning Rock Star

Here's my full take on it:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/growl-for-paradise-lost-collab

Will have the individual files for you soon smile.gif And a video of course.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: May 6 2016, 12:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post May 6 2016, 01:08 PM
Post #65

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 6 2016, 01:43 PM) *
Here's my full take on it:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/growl-for-paradise-lost-collab

Will have the individual files for you soon smile.gif And a video of course.

Sound very cool to me Ben!

Thought: Have you sung this with my take? I think it would make most sense for us to hear your take with my vocals as well.

Because in the end - what matters are all the "little" interactions/details between the the different vocals/instruments in the mix. That's the kind of stuff we can't really think consciously about, but for each time we perform a piece of music, we fine polish those details without necessarily realising it. These details are the reason why two takes can sound really different, even though we cannot tell exactly what makes up for that difference.

So my advice would be to not rush things, since there still is time. Maybe spend just a little bit of time with this collab on a daily basis and follow Gab's advice about dubs/responses.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post May 6 2016, 01:17 PM
Post #66

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 6 2016, 02:08 PM) *
Sound very cool to me Ben!

Thought: Have you sung this with my take? I think it would make most sense for us to hear your take with my vocals as well.

Because in the end - what matters are all the "little" interactions/details between the the different vocals/instruments in the mix. That's the kind of stuff we can't really think consciously about, but for each time we perform a piece of music, we fine polish those details without necessarily realising it. These details are the reason why two takes can sound really different, even though we cannot tell exactly what makes up for that difference.

So my advice would be to not rush things, since there still is time. Maybe spend just a little bit of time with this collab on a daily basis and follow Gab's advice about dubs/responses.

My whole take was based around your phrasing smile.gif Here's both vocals:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/growl-for-paradise-lost-collab-kris-and-ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post May 6 2016, 01:30 PM
Post #67

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 6 2016, 02:17 PM) *

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/growl-for-paradise-lost-collab-kris-and-ben

Ok got it - that's great, Gab should be able to use this as a dub. For consistency I would suggest you try to record something over the 00:39 line as well - since you don't know exactly how he will be using your take. It might give him problems if at one place the dub is missing.

Now that you have done the dub - I would suggest you practice something different, which will be more challenging but artistically possibly more rewarding:

Try to find places where you can record something that sticks out from my take - as opposed to the "perfect dub". It can be an echo of my line, or maybe a different kind of phrasing, or just differently a pitched scream, maybe some spoken words, heavy breathing etc etc

Let me know if it makes sense!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post May 6 2016, 01:39 PM
Post #68

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 6 2016, 02:30 PM) *
Ok got it - that's great, Gab should be able to use this as a dub. For consistency I would suggest you try to record something over the 00:39 line as well - since you don't know exactly how he will be using your take. It might give him problems if at one place the dub is missing.

Now that you have done the dub - I would suggest you practice something different, which will be more challenging but artistically possibly more rewarding:

Try to find places where you can record something that sticks out from my take - as opposed to the "perfect dub". It can be an echo of my line, or maybe a different kind of phrasing, or just differently a pitched scream, maybe some spoken words, heavy breathing etc etc

Let me know if it makes sense!

It makes se0nse. The reason I skipped 0:39 is because it's simply too high pitched for me laugh.gif I'll see what else I can do smile.gif

Will await Gab's comments as well to see what he has to say. Not that I don't value your input, cause I do! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GeneT95
post May 6 2016, 05:18 PM
Post #69

GMC:er

Member No.: 4.701

Recorded a take messing around with Kris' vocal track trying to practice balance and stuff.

Change the beginning to more match the underlying notes. And obviously the beginning verse part trying to find something inside Kris' lines.

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/lostcollabvocaltest1

Edit. A second version. Mainly changes at the end of the opening and in the first verse-like section. And I played a doubling of the bridge panning each separate track hard r and left. Fooled around with the balance. There's a flubbed note in there too......cause darn if I can't have one of those floating around. I like the ending of the first one with the vocals alone, but thought I'd try something at the end.

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/lostcollabvocaltest2

This post has been edited by GeneT95: May 6 2016, 10:33 PM

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post May 7 2016, 06:49 PM
Post #70

Learning Rock Star

By the way, I think me and Kris have gone in a bit of different directions:

...was my inspiration. What was yours, Kris? smile.gif

Also, I double tracked my vocals for more brutality in the one posted yesterday. Here's the single track version:

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: May 7 2016, 06:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post May 8 2016, 04:20 PM
Post #71

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (GeneT95 @ May 6 2016, 06:18 PM) *
Recorded a take messing around with Kris' vocal track trying to practice balance and stuff.

Change the beginning to more match the underlying notes. And obviously the beginning verse part trying to find something inside Kris' lines.

Edit. A second version. Mainly changes at the end of the opening and in the first verse-like section. And I played a doubling of the bridge panning each separate track hard r and left. Fooled around with the balance. There's a flubbed note in there too......cause darn if I can't have one of those floating around. I like the ending of the first one with the vocals alone, but thought I'd try something at the end.

Cool! I think the very first response to my vocals is a keeper (at ~ 00:29 ) - in general a nice inspired jam though. Let's see what Gab says.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 7 2016, 07:49 PM) *
By the way, I think me and Kris have gone in a bit of different directions:

...was my inspiration. What was yours, Kris? smile.gif

Also, I double tracked my vocals for more brutality in the one posted yesterday. Here's the single track version:

I have actually listened a bit to that album - although I generally don't listen much to music that uses growling instead of lead melody. I must say the growling actually suits that specific album though.

I wasn't inspired by any specific song here, but in general my biggest inspiration for this type of 'barky' singing is Hefield and Nick Holmes (from Paradise lost).

--------------------

+Quote Post
GeneT95
post May 8 2016, 04:26 PM
Post #72

GMC:er

Member No.: 4.701

@Kris

Yeah I like the 1st version of the verse section best too. The second version, I think, has too much background playing in that first section. But I figured I tried some different things.

I like the second ending of the opening section better as it follows the underlying melody more. And am uncertain whether I like the non-doubled bridge or the doubled one best, but lean a bit to the doubled one.

But thanks. I appreciate the comments.

This post has been edited by GeneT95: May 8 2016, 04:28 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 8 2016, 05:25 PM
Post #73

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 6 2016, 09:17 AM) *

Hey Cael! I can say that this are killer vocals! I'm still thinking on the production of this one and I think that I'll experiment with different possibilities during the mix. Probable using both vocals all the time can be the best way to make the whole thing sound consistent however I'll try other variations to see if we can get something more creative.

I also think that you should record something over the part that you let Kris alone, just to be safe that we don't need it in the final mix. I don't think that you should go high, you can stay on a low note. Try possibilities and if you don't find them I can send you a sample tomorrow when my voice is back (I just come back from a short Cirse' tour with very cold weather).

About "responses", try it too! I can generate them using these vocals but maybe you can try in some parts to see if anything cooler appears.

I'm really happy with this one, it's turning great!

PS: The melodies and lyrics are growing on me every day.

QUOTE (GeneT95 @ May 6 2016, 01:18 PM) *

Interesting mate! My favourite part is the bridge section, it sounds like a killer arrangement for that part.

You need to be careful with timing in the introduction. The note choices are ok but you are not going tight with the riffs.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post May 8 2016, 05:33 PM
Post #74

Learning Rock Star

Sounds good, Gabriel smile.gif I haven't had the chance to try something over the high pitches scream yet, but I'll look at it over the next few days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 8 2016, 06:55 PM
Post #75

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 8 2016, 01:33 PM) *
Sounds good, Gabriel smile.gif I haven't had the chance to try something over the high pitches scream yet, but I'll look at it over the next few days.

Well, you can try something that moves less than Kris vocals, you can stay on the same note... by the way try a few options and share them here so we can choose the best one.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post May 9 2016, 01:40 PM
Post #76

Learning Rock Star

I tried something just now:

I tried something just now:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 11 2016, 01:47 AM
Post #77

Instructor
Group Icon

So awesome Ben!! Do you think that you can extend the first part of the scream to make it have the same length than Kris vocals? You can stay in the same note, it will work with Kris's change.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post May 11 2016, 12:48 PM
Post #78

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 11 2016, 02:47 AM) *
So awesome Ben!! Do you think that you can extend the first part of the scream to make it have the same length than Kris vocals? You can stay in the same note, it will work with Kris's change.

I tried several times, but I'm struggling with then going into the "yeah" part. smile.gif I'll try again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 11 2016, 05:38 PM
Post #79

Instructor
Group Icon

Practice it, we have 7 days.. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post May 11 2016, 05:40 PM
Post #80

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 11 2016, 06:38 PM) *
Practice it, we have 7 days.. wink.gif

Or am I allowed to cheat and record it as two different parts? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 07:40 AM