Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
Caelumamittendum
post Jul 17 2016, 02:43 PM
Post #221

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.298

Is the tempo really 120bpm? Reaper doesn't seem to align it very well at 120. Seems more like 140 ish to me? 141 to be precise?

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jul 17 2016, 02:51 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 17 2016, 08:39 PM
Post #222

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 16 2016, 10:04 PM) *
PHILL66 X10 DEBRIEF/REVIEW
[/size][/font][/color]
First off WELL DONE on making a take. You are only one of two tolks that managed it for this challenge. I appreciate that his one threw everyone else off but you two who pushed through and did it anyway. Cheers for that smile.gif On to the debrief!!

First off another NICE guitar. You have a much better collection than I do for sure. It looks like you are up for investing in some truly fine instruments which always a good thing imho smile.gif It certainly doesn't hurt to hvae some high quality ibby guitars to learn on!

I liked your solo here quite a bit smile.gif You are always in key and on time. You don't drift out of key or time for the entire solo. I notice you seemed like you were using an octave/wah or something to transpose notes? I'm all for using fx, for this type of effect though you could do it with your hands with a slide up to another octave, still it's a creative use of fx which is always worth points smile.gif

You have good technique and hand control here. You don't have any unwanted noise or random bits getting in the way. In short, a well constructed and well played solo smile.gif I look forward to hearing your X11 Solo!

In short, you just LEVELED UP!!

[attachment=44896:phill66_x6.jpg]

Todd

Thanks Todd,

I don't think my collection is anywhere near as good as yours smile.gif I know I could have used my fingers to go up an octave but you don't get that spaceship kind of transition sound wink.gif

Cheers for the kind comments

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 17 2016, 11:00 PM
Post #223

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Great to see your computer must be working again! I hope you can join us on this one! Love to have your take smile.gif 140.1, it detects as 70.5 in bpm detector in logic. Either way will work. smile.gif

I usually j
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 17 2016, 09:43 AM) *
Is the tempo really 120bpm? Reaper doesn't seem to align it very well at 120. Seems more like 140 ish to me? 141 to be precise?

You definately have way nicer guitars to be sure smile.gif I usually collect older instruments as new Ibby's, especially prestige guitars can get a bit pricey smile.gif I did buy a used prestige once. But when I got it, the neck was a bit twisted so I sent it back. To get the really slim neck profile nowadays, you have to get the titanium reinforced HP Wizard neck which only comes on some of their most expensive guitars. That black prestige ibby you have is quite nice smile.gif What model is it?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 17 2016, 03:39 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I don't think my collection is anywhere near as good as yours smile.gif I know I could have used my fingers to go up an octave but you don't get that spaceship kind of transition sound wink.gif

Cheers for the kind comments

Phil

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 17 2016, 11:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 18 2016, 08:00 PM
Post #224

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 17 2016, 11:00 PM) *
You definately have way nicer guitars to be sure smile.gif I usually collect older instruments as new Ibby's, especially prestige guitars can get a bit pricey smile.gif I did buy a used prestige once. But when I got it, the neck was a bit twisted so I sent it back. To get the really slim neck profile nowadays, you have to get the titanium reinforced HP Wizard neck which only comes on some of their most expensive guitars. That black prestige ibby you have is quite nice smile.gif What model is it?

Thanks Todd, it's the lower end of the Prestige range I think, it's an RG1570 with Edge trem and Wizard Prestige neck. The Guitar Data Project says: "Your guitar was made at the Fuji-gen Plant, Japan in 2009. Production Number: 274". On the back of the headstock it says "Made by Team J Craft Japan" it has two dark stripes of wood almost an inch apart on the back of the neck (5 piece). Here is the Ibanez Wiki page about the model http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG1570. I got it from my luthier for £450 with a Team J Craft hard fitted case. It was ex dem. It could do with better pickups to be honest, they're a little bit muddy at times.

Cheers

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 19 2016, 03:50 PM
Post #225

Group Icon

Still a lovely prestige in great shape with an amazing neck profile. Let me know if you ever end up selling it as I'd like a crack at bidding! smile.gif Personally, I'd say keep it until the end of time. A good ibby in great shape is thing of beauty after all. My fave ibbys are horrible shape as I've gigged with them for years but I still love them smile.gif

Anything made in the Fuji plant is worth owning/keeping imho. The Jcraft badge is certainly a bonus smile.gif It just means that the guitar was hand assembled by the Jcraft team. On new prestige guitars you don't see that badge as "Prestige" has come to mean much the same thing. Now you might see J-Custom which is slightly different, and indicates typically Japan only ibbys, one off ibbys, etc. These differ from LACS ibbys which are L.A. Custom Shop axes. LACS ibbys have LA as the first two letters in the serial number typically. These are custom, hand built guitars done for high end customers and endorsed artists.

Also, Ibby Guitars coming from Japan get hand finishing on their necks, whereas Ibby's coming from other countries are machine finished. This can lead to imperfections, (e.g. frets too sharp/sticking out) that sometimes, but not always happen on some ibbys from other places, as well as intonation issues. I"ve had some cheap import ibby's that were great. Some not so great. Bit of a gamble. All the Japanese Ibbys I"ve played, I'd keep for my personal collection. smile.gif

I do like the XPT750 which is indonesian. Indo Ibby's get a really bad rap as some are not very good. This one was a special edition only made for one year. I also bought an xpt700 which is similar yet the neck felt entirely different even though both are said to be Wizard II necks. They sure dont feel the same. I kept the 750 and sold the 700. 2009 was a banner year for Ibby's IMHO and my PGM30 (Paul Gilbert Sig Model) is also 2009 featuring the original Wizard neck, now called the "Super Wizard" (available only on really pricey ibbys) which is 17mm at the nut. Thinnest, fastest neck I've ever played and the reason folks still look for old RG5xx guitars on Ebay and such smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 18 2016, 03:00 PM) *
Thanks Todd, it's the lower end of the Prestige range I think, it's an RG1570 with Edge trem and Wizard Prestige neck. The Guitar Data Project says: "Your guitar was made at the Fuji-gen Plant, Japan in 2009. Production Number: 274". On the back of the headstock it says "Made by Team J Craft Japan" it has two dark stripes of wood almost an inch apart on the back of the neck (5 piece). Here is the Ibanez Wiki page about the model http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG1570. I got it from my luthier for £450 with a Team J Craft hard fitted case. It was ex dem. It could do with better pickups to be honest, they're a little bit muddy at times.

Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 19 2016, 08:28 PM
Post #226

Glad you approve Todd smile.gif I won't go one further, this should be on another thread wink.gif but here is the back of the headstock in case you can see anything untoward. I do love the guitar, except the pickups, they aren't great unsure.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 19 2016, 11:01 PM
Post #227

Group Icon

Nice smile.gif I'm looking forward to your X11 take!! Givem Hell!!

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 19 2016, 03:28 PM) *
Glad you approve Todd smile.gif I won't go one further, this should be on another thread wink.gif but here is the back of the headstock in case you can see anything untoward. I do love the guitar, ...

Working better at 140.5 for your solo? Looking forward to hearing it smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 17 2016, 09:43 AM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Jul 20 2016, 03:19 PM
Post #228

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.298

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 20 2016, 12:01 AM) *
Working better at 140.5 for your solo? Looking forward to hearing it smile.gif

Todd

Reaper seems to align the beats at 141 for me. Anyway, I've not really worked too much on it, but I'll give it a whirl soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 20 2016, 06:54 PM
Post #229

Group Icon

Great smile.gif Looking forward to hearing your take!!

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 20 2016, 10:19 AM) *
Reaper seems to align the beats at 141 for me. Anyway, I've not really worked too much on it, but I'll give it a whirl soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
post Jul 21 2016, 03:01 AM
Post #230

Experienced Guitar Hero

Member No.: 14.899

Trying to hash out a couple ideas. smile.gif I see what you mean by F minor being a keyboardist type of key!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 21 2016, 03:41 PM
Post #231

Group Icon

WOW!!! I seriously love what you are doing here. That bit about 32 seconds in is killer. Can you do a little vid showing it slow? I'd love to learn that lick myself smile.gif I"d say this will work just fine as a final! If you are up for calling it a final, I'm up for giving it a critique. Just let me know smile.gif

Also, to your point, yes. F Minor is NOT a popular key for playing lead. It robs the player of many licks based on open strings. Some are still available, but its much more limited. Also, it forces you to transpose all your scales by one fret if you are used to playing in E, playing in F just feels odd. You are doing a great job with it here. I wanted to try F again to push you guys further and give you a chance to tackle something challenging and you have smile.gif Congratulations!!!!!

Todd

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 20 2016, 10:01 PM) *
Trying to hash out a couple ideas. smile.gif I see what you mean by F minor being a keyboardist type of key!

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
post Jul 21 2016, 05:14 PM
Post #232

Experienced Guitar Hero

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 21 2016, 02:41 PM) *
WOW!!! I seriously love what you are doing here. That bit about 32 seconds in is killer. Can you do a little vid showing it slow? I'd love to learn that lick myself smile.gif I"d say this will work just fine as a final! If you are up for calling it a final, I'm up for giving it a critique. Just let me know smile.gif

Also, to your point, yes. F Minor is NOT a popular key for playing lead. It robs the player of many licks based on open strings. Some are still available, but its much more limited. Also, it forces you to transpose all your scales by one fret if you are used to playing in E, playing in F just feels odd. You are doing a great job with it here. I wanted to try F again to push you guys further and give you a chance to tackle something challenging and you have smile.gif Congratulations!!!!!

Todd

Thanks smile.gif please critique when you get a chance. I'll be away from my guitar until the weekend. I'll shoot a vid for the lick then!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 21 2016, 09:06 PM
Post #233

Sorry buddy,

Just had no time this week, work has been crazy as and working late. As you know I'm leaving for the airport tomorrow so had a go tonight, couldn't get anything out of my head, it's not the backing or the key it's just lack of time to get the tune in my head.

Looking forward to the next one when I return. Probably X13.

Cheers wink.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 19 2016, 11:01 PM) *
Nice smile.gif I'm looking forward to your X11 take!! Givem Hell!!
Todd

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
DeGroot
post Jul 22 2016, 04:10 PM
Post #234

Experienced Guitar Hero

Meant to ask about that tapping lick in you solo. Sounds awesome! I couldn't figure out how you were playing it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 22 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #235

Group Icon

GROOOT!! Where to begin!! How about the beginning? First off, I dig the PEDAL POINT lick at about 13 seconds in. Nice. Then about 22 seconds in you do a really cool run that sounds like something I may have done myself in that part and also reminds me of SATCH. Double Nice! Then that spiff bit at 27 seconds that you are gonna have to play really slow and make a vid to share with us!!!! Please!!!! I like the second take as well and I can see the road map of the solo you had in your head and how you played around with it during both takes.

Bottom line, LOVED IT. Most of all, I like how you were not afraid to leave bits in that were not perfect. That's the ENTIRE POINT OF THE CHALLENGE. Not to submit a perfect take, just to submit an honest snapshot of your playing at this point in your journey, whatever that might be. I have noticed that folks seem honestly afraid to post unless they feel their solo is perfect. This is the root of performance anxiety/stage fright. FIGHT IT FOLKS. Submit something, anything. Share your playing with the group. Just doing that will make you a better player in the long run.

As for this Solo, GROOT KILLED IT!!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 20 2016, 10:01 PM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 22 2016, 07:12 PM
Post #236

Group Icon

Can you give me a time reference in the vid for the part you are talking about? I'd be happy to break it down so it made more sense in a quick vid smile.gif

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 22 2016, 11:10 AM) *
Meant to ask about that tapping lick in you solo. Sounds awesome! I couldn't figure out how you were playing it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
post Jul 23 2016, 12:33 AM
Post #237

Experienced Guitar Hero

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 22 2016, 06:12 PM) *
Can you give me a time reference in the vid for the part you are talking about? I'd be happy to break it down so it made more sense in a quick vid smile.gif

the part I'm refering to is from :10-:13. Would love to know whats going on there. Sound like some kind of double tapping?
Really dig that melodic sequence from :20-:23 too. The whole solo sounds fantastic! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
post Jul 23 2016, 04:28 PM
Post #238

Experienced Guitar Hero

Here is a quick video of that lick you asked for and for anyone who might be interested. It is very Andy LaRoque influenced. I've never really broken down a lick before on video but I'm happy you asked! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Jul 23 2016, 05:47 PM
Post #239

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 20.796

Hi Todd

sorry to do post something, but i'm not really inspirated...

let's see the next one !!! biggrin.gif

cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
bleez
post Jul 23 2016, 10:18 PM
Post #240

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 14.292

aww man Ive hardly picked up a guitar for the last 3 weeks huh.gif which sucks balls and I'll never get close to playing those awesome licks that Mr DeGroot rips out with such apparent ease! ( fantastic take btw Joe ) unless I get my head back in the game.
Bring on the next challenge Todd, I'll need to get back on this smile.gif

This post has been edited by bleez: Jul 23 2016, 10:19 PM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post

39 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2017 - 12:58 AM