> Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
Todd Simpson
post Oct 7 2016, 09:29 AM
Post #381

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

VERY SPIFF!!! You have a seriously good solo here that sounds very much like something Santana would play! I can hear some of the influences going on there. BIts of SLASH, bits of Santana, bits of you! Some great composition and some great licks combined with very good vibrato and bending. I can hear your ear searching just a bit in some spots for just the right note, but that's all just part of the process. Your ability to improvise has improved by a factor of 10 at least. I remember when you were reluctant to improvise at all. Now you can just rip it up for the entire solo. I like how you vary the type of licks you are doing as well.

You really krushed this backing. All of you guys made some great solos on this one! I'm going to try to use less strange stuff I think as it doesn't generate a great response rate and is probably too odd to start with. I'm already planning our next SHRED FEST smile.gif Should be fun!! Super Congrats Fzalfa!!! You have made a staggering amount of progress in a very short time.

In short you just. ......

LEVELED UP!!!!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Oct 5 2016, 10:31 AM) *
Hi

This is one take, a little issue because of a low action on this guitar....

Cheers

Laurent

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 7 2016, 10:02 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wyverex
post Oct 9 2016, 04:49 PM
Post #382

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 21.924

Here's my take on this one. Some of the bends are way out of pitch and I felt a bit directionless at times. And I'm scared of my totally emotionless face during the first bend laugh.gif

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Oct 9 2016, 05:43 PM
Post #383

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 20.796

i love it Wyverex !!

cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 9 2016, 06:07 PM
Post #384

Group Icon

CONGRATS ON A KILLER SOLO! It's got vibe and feeling through and through. As for a few bends being a bit off here and there, IT"S BLUES!!! If everything were pitch perfect, it wouldn't sound authentic IMHO. Working towards perfect bends is a NOBLE ENDEAVOR to be sure. Eventually you should be able to make the decision whether you want to bend a pinch sharp or flat to add to the ambience of a given solo. Until then, especially with blues, just play what you feel. The more you play and the more you bend, the more your ear will be your guide.

You have great tone here that goes great with the backing, and your note choice has sense of verisimilitude that goes great with backing.. Your instincts are leading you in the right direction IMHO Have you finally found the "right height" for your strap position and has it allowed more control on your left hand mute? From the sound of things, you are making great progress. In short, you just....

LEVELED UP!!!!!
Attached Image
P.S. If anyone would prefer Monday for the new Start date, just let me know, otherwise we will go back to Sunday Next Weekend smile.gif
[/b]

WVREX: I"ll do your critique after I take my guest to the Airport tonight if that's OK. She has a 9pm flight out of town. Hopefully, the weather will remain calm smile.gif After the reason Hurricane Matthew, I"m hoping for the best smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Wyverex @ Oct 9 2016, 11:49 AM) *
Here's my take on this one. Some of the bends are way out of pitch and I felt a bit directionless at times. And I'm scared of my totally emotionless face during the first bend laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 10 2016, 08:37 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wyverex
post Oct 9 2016, 06:37 PM
Post #385

Member No.: 21.924

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Oct 9 2016, 04:43 PM) *
i love it Wyverex !!

cheers

Laurent

Thank you! Same with your take. I'm far away from your level of proficiency yet smile.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 9 2016, 05:07 PM) *
WVREX: I"ll do your critique after I take my guest to the Airport tonight if that's OK.

No worries. I'm not going anywhere wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 10 2016, 08:29 PM
Post #386

Group Icon

Shred Challenge Moved to Monday (Just for this week) so you have an extra day to get your take in!!

!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-23!!!!

*I"m not playing in this vid. Instead, Instead, feel feel to use it to practice your lead! You can add it to a playlist on youtube if you like to keep track of it.

Direct Link to this Challenge : http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx23

X-23 LITTLE WING BLUES
DETAILS: This backing is based on the song "LITTLE WING" and is a blast to solo over smile.gif No rules, no limits, no holds barred. Go crazy smile.gif

DOWNLOAD: mp3 backing Attached File  Little_Wing.mp3 ( 532.41K ) Number of downloads: 12

EXTENDED JAM TRACK VERSION!: Attached File  LongerWing.mp3 ( 1.02MB ) Number of downloads: 13

SUPER LONG VERSION: Attached File  Little_Wing_Longer.mp3 ( 1.58MB ) Number of downloads: 8

KEY: E Pentatonic/Minor
SCALES TO USE: E Pentatonic, E Minor

E Pentatonic
Attached Image

E Minor
Attached Image

BPM: 130 BPM
DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

*Can be SLOW or any speed you like, doesn't have to shred or be fast.
This is something new. It's a "Challenge" I challenge you to play anything over this backing. It just has to have you in it playing like you really mean it!!! That's it, so here is what I need.

----------

F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a youtube video of your performance. EMBED the video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)
That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.

2.)Who can participate?:
ANYONE!!

3.)What do I get?
Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level you attain Here is a recent badge for reference.

QUOTE (Wyverex @ Oct 9 2016, 11:49 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 12 2016, 01:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Oct 10 2016, 08:44 PM
Post #387

Learning Roadie

Hi Todd

maybe a longuer one ? the long version is almost short no ??

you expect something like this ? (in better)

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-dizy/tapedeck-2-oct-10-21-29-50

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 12 2016, 01:09 PM
Post #388

Group Icon

Yes! Just like that smile.gif Here is an even longer version!

Attached File  Little_Wing_Longer.mp3 ( 1.58MB ) Number of downloads: 8

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Oct 10 2016, 03:44 PM) *
Hi Todd

maybe a longuer one ? the long version is almost short no ??

you expect something like this ? (in better)

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-dizy/tapedeck-2-oct-10-21-29-50

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Oct 14 2016, 02:50 PM
Post #389

Learning Roadie

Hi Todd

This is my take , maybe i had taken a bad position because at the middle of i can't felt my hand anymore !!!

chewgum fingers

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
bleez
post Oct 14 2016, 11:03 PM
Post #390

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 14.292

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4klXg8JJHe8

went with the shorter long version huh.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Oct 15 2016, 09:07 AM
Post #391

Learning Roadie

nicely done bleez !!!!

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
bleez
post Oct 15 2016, 10:59 AM
Post #392

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Oct 15 2016, 09:07 AM) *
nicely done bleez !!!!

Cheers

Laurent

thanks Laurent smile.gif
I ran out of ideas on the longer backing cool.gif but your improv skills are getting very good . you always manage to tear it up on these challenges smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
post Oct 15 2016, 04:33 PM
Post #393

Experienced Guitar Hero

Member No.: 14.899

QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 14 2016, 10:03 PM) *

Nice playing, man! That tele really sings. I want a Fender tele so bad. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Oct 15 2016, 05:06 PM
Post #394

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Oct 15 2016, 04:33 PM) *
Nice playing, man! That tele really sings. I want a Fender tele so bad. biggrin.gif

thanks Joe smile.gif I really appreciate that.
you should totally get a fender tele cool.gif just imagine that awesomeness the would be created smile.gif
I cant get over just how great it is to play, they just have a 'thing' about them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 15 2016, 09:06 PM
Post #395

Member No.: 19.975

I'm gutted I missed this one, I'm still in Portugal and don't get back until Sunday evening. Not saying I'd do any good but I love little wing. I'll still have some time with the backing though.smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 15 2016, 09:56 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Oct 15 2016, 09:14 PM
Post #396

Learning Roadie

thanks Laurent smile.gif
I ran out of ideas on the longer backing cool.gif but your improv skills are getting very good . you always manage to tear it up on these challenges smile.gif

Thanks bleez....

I lanage to do better each time

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 15 2016, 10:26 PM
Post #397

Group Icon

Spiff!! Your solo work keeps getting better and better! You are sitting "side saddle" with your axe which can put undue stress on the hand and it used to make my arm fall asleep if I played that way for too long. Be careful sitting and playing like that for extended periods. With the XIPHOS body style, I find classical position very comfy as the angles on the guitar let it sit very still with the neck angled up, assuming a foot stool of course smile.gif

On to the debrief!!! As I was saying, your solo work keeps improving, every time I see a new solo from you I see new things in it. This is honestly one of the best things that I can hope for. I try for it in my own work as well, as it's just not easy and "not easy" usually means pushing one's self a bit. A bit of that can help quite a lot on playing guitar smile.gif

You have very good note choice on this solo and are playing very against and with the backing instead of just playing on top of it. The bit just before the 1 minute mark is my fave as it's very melodic and somewhat unexpected. I see you switching octave positions with ease as well, which is great to see. Shifting octave positions isn't something that I used to see in your solos, and I'm glad to be seeing it now.Your use of Vibrato is very good as well. Your hard work on all the underlying technique/fundamentals continues to pay off as you now dig in to self expression and solo work, which is the entire point of the instrument IMHO smile.gif

Well done!

Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Oct 14 2016, 09:50 AM) *
Hi Todd

This is my take , maybe i had taken a bad position because at the middle of i can't felt my hand anymore !!!

chewgum fingers

Cheers

Laurent

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 15 2016, 10:41 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 15 2016, 10:58 PM
Post #398

Group Icon

He's got out the Tele!!! smile.gif I gotta say it sounds great on this track. Perfect tone in context. What are you using after the guitar btw?

On to the debrief! Very well constructed and very well played. You are using just enough gain to make the whole thing work really well. It's not over gainey, but not so undergainey you have to pick hard you break strings.

Your timing is very good on the note placement and your bends are spot on. Not an easy thing to get a handle on and you've got it smile.gif I really dig your approach on this the last lick in particular. In lieu of a trem bar, you use the guitar itself. smile.gif

I gotta say, it's great to see you guys making such great progress in your solo work. Being truly expressive with the guitar, (which can be a truly expressive instrument) is, after all, the entire point of all this. You guys are embracing your inner solo "instincts" and going beyond simply stringing licks together. Even non musicians can tell a good solo from a bad one, and you guys are making some really good ones. It's the personal expressiveness that makes a solo good IMHO and you do a fine job of that smile.gif Congrats!
Attached Image

QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 14 2016, 06:03 PM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 16 2016, 12:37 AM
Post #399

Group Icon

No Problem! Feel free to submit your take ANYTIME. Out of towners get a "redo" smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 15 2016, 04:06 PM) *
I'm gutted I missed this one, I'm still in Portugal and don't get back until Sunday evening. Not saying I'd do any good but I love little wing. I'll still have some time with the backing though.smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 16 2016, 08:36 PM
Post #400

Group Icon

!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-24!!!!

*I"m not playing in this vid. Instead, Instead, feel feel to use it to practice your lead! You can add it to a playlist on youtube if you like to keep track of it.

Direct Link to this Challenge : http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx24

X-24
(IMPORTANT: YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: This week, let's play a solo over a well known Metallica"ish" song. Here is a vocals free bit of "Nothing else Matters" done in E Minor.

DOWNLOAD: mp3 backing Attached File  x24.mp3 ( 1.45MB ) Number of downloads: 11

KEY: E Pentatonic/Minor

SCALES TO USE: E Pentatonic, E Minor

E Pentatonic Minor/Blues
Attached Image

E Natural Minor
Attached Image

BPM: 75 BPM
DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

*Can be SLOW or any speed you like, doesn't have to shred or be fast.
This is something new. It's a "Challenge" I challenge you to play anything over this backing. It just has to have you in it playing like you really mean it!!! That's it, so here is what I need.

----------

F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a youtube video of your performance. EMBED the video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)
That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.

2.)Who can participate?:
ANYONE!!

3.)What do I get?
Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level you attain Here is a recent badge for reference.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 16 2016, 08:41 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

39 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2017 - 08:08 PM