> Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
Phil66
post Jan 8 2017, 10:41 AM
Post #541

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Thanks Todd,

Well unless I was being a total dingbat I was basing it around the extended D minor pentatonic with the odd note thrown in because I felt like they worked. Obviously this is all subjective.

It was my usual listen one time, play over it three or four times to find out what I think works and then make a take.

The badge in my signature is correct mate, for some reason you left the 'X' off my last one which was 10 so your current one "'X11" is correct. I'm not going to change it yet in case you change your mind after you have read these comments wink.gif

Cheers for you comments Todd, my ear is getting better because sometimes now notes jump out at me as being awful, I don't notice key changes much unless they are extreme but that will come hopefully.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 8 2017, 08:54 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wyverex
post Jan 8 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #542

Member No.: 21.924

Hey Todd,

long time no see. Been busy with a lot of stuff but it seems this time the challenge runs for two weeks, so I figured I squeeze in right at the end biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 8 2017, 10:21 PM
Post #543

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

I gave everyone the day off for NEW YEARS smile.gif We are going to go back to weekly CHALLENGES now that we are in 2017. smile.gif Great to see you back in the thread and making a great take!! I hope you get the chance to make a take for the upcoming challenge as well. The two week gap seemed to provide folks enough time so we may go back to it at some point. For now, onward!!

Very spiff solo work here per usual. Digging the way you blend chordality in addition to the single note work and bending. Taken all together it makes a very well rounded solo. The mini chorded bits add texture and provide great contrast to the traditional solo bits. As for the traditional solo bits, very well done there as well. The bends are spot on and note choice is tasteful and works well in context. I can almost hear your keyboard skills translating to guitar in your approach. I think this is gonna give you a leg up on developing your own personal style. You are well on your way!

In other words, you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Wyverex @ Jan 8 2017, 03:23 PM) *
Hey Todd,

long time no see. Been busy with a lot of stuff but it seems this time the challenge runs for two weeks, so I figured I squeeze in right at the end biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 9 2017, 12:17 AM
Post #544

Group Icon

!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-35!!!!
ECHOES : By Pink Floyd

*I"m not playing in this vid. Instead, Instead, feel feel to use it to practice your lead! You can add it to a playlist on youtube if you like to keep track of it.
Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx35

IMPORTANT: YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: "ECHOES" By Pink Floyd. Rather, a small chunk of Echoes, the bluesy/funky bit in particular. Floyd fans know that the entire tune runs almost 24 minutes, our bit is less than a minute long. Here is the kicker. The key is C#! Not to worry. I've only shown one position in the tablature.

DOWNLOAD BACKING:

MP3 Backing Track (Loopable!!! Just loop in your daw for more) Attached File  x35.mp3 ( 876.75K ) Number of downloads: 10

KEY: C# Minor

SCALES TO USE: C# Minor / C# Pentatonic (I've only shown one position on the tablature to avoid confusion)

C# Pentatonic
Attached Image

C# Minor
Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible . To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)

1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a youtube video of your performance. EMBED the video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.
2.)Who can participate?: ANYONE!!
3.)What do I get? Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 9 2017, 12:28 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 14 2017, 05:15 PM
Post #545

Group Icon

!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-35!!!!
ECHOES : By Pink Floyd

*I"m not playing in this vid. Instead, Instead, feel feel to use it to practice your lead! You can add it to a playlist on youtube if you like to keep track of it.
Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx35

DETAILS: "ECHOES" By Pink Floyd. Rather, a small chunk of Echoes, the bluesy/funky bit in particular. Floyd fans know that the entire tune runs almost 24 minutes, our bit is less than a minute long. Here is the kicker. The key is C#! Not to worry. I've only shown one position in the tablature.

DOWNLOAD BACKING:

MP3 Backing Track (Loopable!!! Just loop in your daw for more) Attached File  x35.mp3 ( 876.75K ) Number of downloads: 10

KEY: C# Minor

SCALES TO USE: C# Minor / C# Pentatonic (I've only shown one position on the tablature to avoid confusion)

C# Pentatonic
Attached Image

C# Minor
Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible . To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a youtube video of your performance. EMBED the video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.
3.)What do I get? Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Jan 14 2017, 09:22 PM
Post #546

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.298

Here's a shot at it, Todd:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 14 2017, 09:41 PM
Post #547

Group Icon

Very cool take indeed! You are the only one so far to even take a crack at it. I hope your not the last! I really wanted to hear what people would do over a semi strange backing by a familiar artist. This is from early floyd so it's a bit different than their later stuff. You kinda have to use your ear to find the right notes. You certainly did a great job on that. It may be what is throwing everyone else off. It's just too complex to solo over and make it sound right. I may have gotten to ambitious on the backing. But you never know till you try smile.gif

I really liked how you incorporated the sweep bits in as well as the multi modal scale approach. Your note choice and technique were spot on per usual smile.gif Just what I have come to expect from you. A killer solo smile.gif You just

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 14 2017, 04:22 PM) *
Here's a shot at it, Todd:

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 14 2017, 09:42 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Jan 15 2017, 07:01 PM
Post #548

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 14.292

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 14 2017, 08:41 PM) *
I may have gotten to ambitious on the backing.

No sir. Its a brilliant choice of backing biggrin.gif I wish I had been able to spend more time with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ULZ7AQfW6c

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 14 2017, 08:41 PM) *

dude, that was great. those sweeps were incredible!

This post has been edited by bleez: Jan 15 2017, 07:06 PM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Jan 15 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #549

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 20.796

Bleez

i really love your take !!!

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
bleez
post Jan 15 2017, 09:44 PM
Post #550

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jan 15 2017, 07:46 PM) *
Bleez

i really love your take !!!

Cheers

Laurent

thanks mate biggrin.gif much appreciated.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 15 2017, 10:44 PM
Post #551

Group Icon

Nice!!! Really well done on this. I really dug how you used your pick strike intensity to create a huge amount of dynamic range in the solo. This is something that takes a bit practice to make work and your making it work quite well. I'm often guilty myself of leaving the volume full one and gain full up and just ripping it up the entire time when quite often, backing off a bit, would be better for the listener. You've developed a good ear for bits that benefit from a bit of backing off and your tone is perfect. The playing is really good too and quite balanced. Note choice is great, bends are spot on, in short, worthy of a spot on any Floyd Record. Well done smile.gif In short you just....

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (bleez @ Jan 15 2017, 02:01 PM) *
No sir. Its a brilliant choice of backing biggrin.gif I wish I had been able to spend more time with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ULZ7AQfW6c

dude, that was great. those sweeps were incredible!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 15 2017, 11:58 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 16 2017, 12:44 AM
Post #552

Group Icon

!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-36!!!!
Slow Rock Jam: E Minor/Pent

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx36

DETAILS: Let's take a slower rock/metalish bit and see what we can do. It's using my fave scales, E Minor and E Pent/Blues. You get two open strings that are root notes (Top and Bottom E) which makes single note work easy smile.gif

DOWNLOAD BACKING:

MP3 Backing Track Attached File  36_1.mp3 ( 489K ) Number of downloads: 44

LONG VERSION!!! smile.gif Attached File  36_LONGVERSION.mp3 ( 3.66MB ) Number of downloads: 16

KEY: E Minor

SCALES TO USE: E Minor / E Pentatonic

E Minor
Attached Image

E Blues

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 19 2017, 01:29 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Jan 16 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #553

Learning Roadie

i'll kill this one

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
bleez
post Jan 16 2017, 07:22 PM
Post #554

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jan 16 2017, 06:13 PM) *
i'll kill this one

laugh.gif LOL!
I like your attitude, Laurent!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 17 2017, 06:08 AM
Post #555

Group Icon

Kill Away!!! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jan 16 2017, 02:13 PM) *
i'll kill this one

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Jan 17 2017, 02:28 PM
Post #556

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.298

Is there a longer version of this? 10 seconds with drums seem a bit short. But it's a challenge!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
post Jan 17 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #557

Member No.: 11.477

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 17 2017, 01:28 PM) *
Is there a longer version of this? 10 seconds with drums seem a bit short. But it's a challenge!

Wouldn't mind that aswell!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 18 2017, 09:05 PM
Post #558

Member No.: 19.975

I've created a longer one for you all, this should do you until Todd gets in with a proper one. At least you should be able to use it to build some ideas wink.gif

Hope it helps

Attached File  Em_Ballad_longer.mp3 ( 5.19MB ) Number of downloads: 9

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Jan 18 2017, 10:47 PM
Post #559

Learning Roadie

Hi Todd

This is my take.

I love it, even with some bad notes and weirds scales.... (OOOPPPSsss)

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 19 2017, 01:24 AM
Post #560

Group Icon

Here is a link to the longer version! smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&id=45772

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 17 2017, 09:28 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 19 2017, 01:45 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

39 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2017 - 07:56 AM