> Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
Todd Simpson
post Feb 18 2017, 06:11 AM
Post #601

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Nice!!! I really dig how you put so many different styles and scales together and keep it all working so well. Your use of the slide is quite good in this solo too and makes your style stand out as being you. That's one thing I've noticed about your playing lately is that it's becoming more signature "Ben". That slippery lick around 10 seconds in particular. Very cool. Also your using of bends is quite good. Every one under control and not drifting beyond where you want it. Getting that level of control takes time and effort you've clearly put in both. Well done smile.gif

In short, you just. ......

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

Toddd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 17 2017, 09:45 AM) *

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Feb 19 2017, 03:07 AM
Post #602

Group Icon

UPDATE: As I just realized (thanks to AKRICH) that I shared the WRONG KEY for our backing, and as we only have one taker so far, perhaps due to folks trying to play in the wrong key, which would be my bad, I'm going to try this one again. It's a very cool Blues type backing that the A BLUES scale works well over. But you can use any scale you like, and any instrument and video is NOT required. can be audio only, recorded on your cell phone. Anything that is easy for you smile.gif
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-39!!!!
BLUES TO BASICS ( A BLUES)

*Going back to basics! Let's dig in to the BLUES!!!!

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx39

IMPORTANT: YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: VIDEO OPTIONAL : audio or video is fine.

DOWNLOAD BACKING:
MP3 Backing Track (Short Version) Attached File  x39_short.mp3 ( 985.77K ) Number of downloads: 15

MP3 Backing Track ( Long Version) Attached File  x39_long.mp3 ( 5.15MB ) Number of downloads: 15

KEY: A Blues

SCALES TO USE: A Blues

A Blues

Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible . To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)

1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a audio or video performance of your solo. Best to use soundcloud for audio and youtube for video. EMBED the audio or video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.
2.)Who can participate?: ANYONE!!
3.)What do I get? Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 19 2017, 03:42 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Feb 26 2017, 05:39 PM
Post #603

Group Icon

Last chance to put up a take before the new challenge goes up!! smile.gif
----
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 18 2017, 10:07 PM) *
UPDATE: As I just realized (thanks to AKRICH) that I shared the WRONG KEY for our backing, and as we only have one taker so far, perhaps due to folks trying to play in the wrong key, which would be my bad, I'm going to try this one again. It's a very cool Blues type backing that the A BLUES scale works well over. But you can use any scale you like, and any instrument and video is NOT required. can be audio only, recorded on your cell phone. Anything that is easy for you smile.gif
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-39!!!!
BLUES TO BASICS ( A BLUES)

*Going back to basics! Let's dig in to the BLUES!!!!

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx39

IMPORTANT: YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: VIDEO OPTIONAL : audio or video is fine.

DOWNLOAD BACKING:
MP3 Backing Track (Short Version) Attached File  x39_short.mp3 ( 985.77K ) Number of downloads: 15

MP3 Backing Track ( Long Version) Attached File  x39_long.mp3 ( 5.15MB ) Number of downloads: 15

KEY: A Blues

SCALES TO USE: A Blues

A Blues

Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible . To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a audio or video performance of your solo. Best to use soundcloud for audio and youtube for video. EMBED the audio or video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.
3.)What do I get? Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Feb 26 2017, 07:30 PM
Post #604

Group Icon

!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-40!!!!
GABES FUZZ BLUES COLLAB!

*Now that we have our blues on! Let's put it to use in Gabes FUZZ BLUES CHALLENGE. Shifting the key a bit, but you guys can handle it smile.gif

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx40

Direct link to Gabes Fuzz Blues Collab

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=744589

[b]CHORDS: (Dm - Dm - Bb - Gm)

IMPORTANT: [/b]YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: VIDEO OPTIONAL : audio or video is fine. If you want to an audio only version, I'll create the video track for gabe for you if you like using a still image.

DOWNLOAD BACKING:
MP3 Backing Track : Attached File  Fuzzy_Blues_98_bpm.mp3 ( 3.02MB ) Number of downloads: 9

KEY: D Blues

SCALES TO USE: D Blues & D Minor

D Blues

Attached Image

D Minor
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 26 2017, 07:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Mar 1 2017, 08:48 PM
Post #605

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 20.796

Hi Todd

This a take about this shred fest, not my best ,i do not have a lot of inspiration theses times

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 2 2017, 09:00 PM
Post #606

Group Icon

VERY SPIFF! I gotta say your solos keep getting better and better. I like how you set up a melody at the start and then played around it with various scale shapes and how you moved quite smoothly around the neck to get at notes that are not in the first shape of the scale. Your ability to work up and down the neck has really improved. I'm guessing your pals that you play with must have noticed? I certainly have. Well played and well written. Sounds like a solo!

In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Mar 1 2017, 03:48 PM) *
Hi Todd

This a take about this shred fest, not my best ,i do not have a lot of inspiration theses times

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 6 2017, 03:11 AM
Post #607

Group Icon

!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-40!!!!
GABES FUZZ BLUES COLLAB!
Deadline Comnig up!! March 10!

*We only have one submission on this and it's a great collab. Dig deep folks and give me a solo!!

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx40

Direct link to Gabes Fuzz Blues Collab

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=744589

[b]CHORDS: (Dm - Dm - Bb - Gm)

IMPORTANT: [/b]YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: VIDEO OPTIONAL : audio or video is fine. If you want to an audio only version, I'll create the video track for gabe for you if you like using a still image.

DOWNLOAD BACKING:
MP3 Backing Track : Attached File  Fuzzy_Blues_98_bpm.mp3 ( 3.02MB ) Number of downloads: 9

KEY: D Blues

SCALES TO USE: D Blues & D Minor

D Blues

Attached Image

D Minor
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Mar 8 2017, 02:38 AM
Post #608

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 7.667

As requested Sarge, here's my Fuzzy Blues solo. Thanks for all your kind words on my last Shred Journey lesson, it was very motivating biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 10 2017, 02:53 AM
Post #609

Group Icon

NICE!!!! First off your tone is perfect. Bluesy, fuzzy, perfect. Also, you have made great use of wide pick strikes here. For blues, wide strikes create rythmic elements on muted strings that add to the vibe. Being able to use laser focus or wide strokes shows true flexibility in your playing and a solid understanding of when to use what. Well freaking done there!!! Not easy to teach or lear n that bit. Also, your use of vibrato is quite good and that is what makes or breaks a good blues solo. There are many kinds of vibrato from mosquito quick to slow and silky. Combining them in context is tough. This solo didn't feel off the cuff. It felt intentional and musical which really makes it stand out. Well done smile.gif

In other words you just ..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Mar 7 2017, 09:38 PM) *
As requested Sarge, here's my Fuzzy Blues solo. Thanks for all your kind words on my last Shred Journey lesson, it was very motivating biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 10 2017, 02:58 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Mar 12 2017, 05:44 PM
Post #610

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 14.292

hope its not too late to throw in a take for x40. I tried to add a little bit to my collab take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr_ZSsnzlHQ

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 12 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #611

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

Hello Todd,

I don't mind if i don't level up as this is just my collab take but some critique would be good if that's ok with you smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz-VrL7EA9Q

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 12 2017, 10:38 PM
Post #612

Group Icon

Never to late! Thanks for the take smile.gif I was curious to see what you would do with this one. You display a wide range of both technique and tonal capability as well as very good writing. Once a player has a good grasp on technique in general, it really becomes more about the creative side of knowing what to play or not play and when. E.G. Leave a gap, or not, speed up or slow down, repeat a section to create a tonal touch stone or shred through, etc. This is the type of stuff that is really hard to teach as it's so personal to each player. It's about developing a "style". More and more that's what I'm hearing from your playing is you developing your "Style" that is unique to you.

I liked the repeated bits around 44 that serve almost like a chorus, then I like how you brought it down a bit and changed the vibe by backing off just pinch. Worked out great and sounds fantastic. A really well constructed blues solo without anything to take away from it. Nice!!!!

In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 12 2017, 12:44 PM) *
hope its not too late to throw in a take for x40. I tried to add a little bit to my collab take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr_ZSsnzlHQ

Thanks for the take!! Every solo in front of the Camera is a victory IMHO. Each time, it helps one get a bit less aware of the little red light which can plague any performer. I can't tell you how may of my own performances the recording light has ruined. After a while though, you get used to it, like anything else.

Let's talk about your take!! Your tone is very good here, what are you using? The tele works well just as it did with Bleez. Your first bend is good and tight and hits the note. You have good technique in terms of your picking and your muting. No extra string noise or bits that don't sound like they should be there, which is always a good thing smile.gif

I like your diatonic chordal thing that you did as well. It's the first type of lick like that for this collab that I've seen ( I think) so kudos for being original! Also kudos for going back to it as it serves as a bit of a chorus type structure.

Since there is an open string that is in key (D) always try to see if you can throw in one of those open string thingy licks that we did in bootcamp for giggles to see how they work smile.gif They usually do!

Around 1;33 the bend is a pinch off but on the whole this is well played and well written so super congrats dude,, you just....

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 12 2017, 01:20 PM) *
Hello Todd,

I don't mind if i don't level up as this is just my collab take but some critique would be good if that's ok with you smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz-VrL7EA9Q

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 13 2017, 12:00 AM
Post #613

Thanks Todd
Appreciated

Phil smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 13 2017, 04:44 AM
Post #614

Group Icon

!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-41!!!!
A Harmonic Minor Reggae

*I"m not playing in this vid. Instead, Instead, feel feel to use it to practice your lead! You can add it to a playlist on youtube if you like to keep track of it.
Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx41

DETAILS: This is a REGGAE style backing in the key of A HARMONIC MINOR.[/size]

[size="3"]DOWNLOAD BACKING:

MP3 Backing Track : Attached File  41.mp3 ( 1.49MB ) Number of downloads: 12

KEY: A Harmonic Minor

SCALES TO USE:
A Harmonic Minor
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Mar 14 2017, 08:50 PM
Post #615

Learning Roadie

Todd

a king size version please !!

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 17 2017, 10:25 PM
Post #616

Group Icon

It's loopable in your daw or you can put the video on a playlist on youtube and just set it to repeat. That way you can jam over it endlessly till you find some spiff licks!

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Mar 14 2017, 03:50 PM) *
Todd

a king size version please !!

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 19 2017, 12:11 PM
Post #617

Hello Todd,

Ok, a quick take before we went out for the day today, the usual listen to the backing once, look at the scale diagram while playing and BAM, make a take. I didn't have time to mess with tone, and on playback i think the guitar is a bit low in the mix but no time to fix it. I'll try to get another one in this evening if I get time but if not here is my attempt. It sounds a bit "comedy" to me smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwKGK_l0X1k

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 19 2017, 05:11 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
DeGroot
post Mar 19 2017, 05:37 PM
Post #618

Experienced Guitar Hero

Member No.: 14.899

Early morning improv. I jammed to this for a while to warm-up and then hit record. Didn't really structure anything just kinda went with the flow. Lost my place for a moment at the end. smile.gif Nice take and tone, Phil! Fits the backing really well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Mar 19 2017, 09:46 PM
Post #619

Learning Roadie

Hi Todd

This is my take !

i join with this short improvisation !

Cheers

Laurent

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Mar 19 2017, 09:47 PM

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 20 2017, 02:53 AM
Post #620

Group Icon

NICE!! I was getting concerned that I'd gone to far with Harmonic Minor Reggae, but I'm glad to see I was wrong smile.gif Very cool solo and well played. I like how most of it is done as a sort of counterpoint in terms of picking rythm. I like the licks you put together and it's all the more impressive that you did it off the cuff not even knowing the scale. You never hit a wrong note! Well played!
In other words, you just...
LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 19 2017, 07:11 AM) *
Hello Todd,

Ok, a quick take before we went out for the day today, the usual listen to the backing once, look at the scale diagram while playing and BAM, make a take. I didn't have time to mess with tone, and on playback i think the guitar is a bit low in the mix but no time to fix it. I'll try to get another one in this evening if I get time but if not here is my attempt. It sounds a bit "comedy" to me smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwKGK_l0X1k

SPIFF!! What I like best is that so many parts were so unexpected. The bit that starts around 24 seconds is a good example. The use of 'Tripeggios" in context here is just great. Also, you run all around the neck with them and still manage to stay in key which is impressive. You combine some very technical playing with some very soulful blues playing, as a bonus smile.gif I was very curious to see how different folks would interpret this backing and I'm gratified to see folks interpreting it so differently. Great technique and great tone on top of great note choice. Well done smile.gif
In other words you just.....
LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Mar 19 2017, 12:37 PM) *
Early morning improv. I jammed to this for a while to warm-up and then hit record. Didn't really structure anything just kinda went with the flow. Lost my place for a moment at the end. smile.gif Nice take and tone, Phil! Fits the backing really well.

COOL!! I must say you have the most unique tone of the bunch! It's got a tremolo/leslie cab vibe which goes well with the backing. Where did you find that patch? Is it on the 11? If so please do share it in the 11 rack Patch Thread! Along with your vid here as an example of patch tone smile.gif I think yours, especially the first part, should actually be part of the backing to fill it out and give it more depth. I like how you transitioned from that to a much more active style and ran up and down the neck while saying in key and in scale. You've gotten very good at playing all over the neck without dropping the ball. It's something that can take years to get comfy with. You picked it up pretty quick!! Well played, sounds cool, all around well done!!
In other words, you just ....
LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Mar 19 2017, 04:46 PM) *
Hi Todd

This is my take !

i join with this short improvisation !

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

+Quote Post

42 Pages V  « < 29 30 31 32 33 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2017 - 03:15 PM