Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
DeGroot
post Mar 20 2017, 03:29 AM
Post #621

Experienced Guitar Hero

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.899

Thanks Todd! It was interesting and fun to play over a Reggae track. Pretty sure it was a first for me. smile.gif Cool takes everyone.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 20 2017, 04:01 AM
Post #622

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-42!!!!
SOLOING IN AN ODD KEY!

*Downoad mp3 runs longer, but here is a preview.

*This time around we are going to solo in a semi strange key. E FLAT otherwise known as D SHARP. Essentially, start your blues scale on the low string @ the 11th Fret and Your in key!!
**BONUS points to anyone that can play the background lick along with me for part of their solo!

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx42

IMPORTANT: YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: VIDEO OPTIONAL : audio or video is fine.

DOWNLOAD BACKING:
MP3 Backing Track (Loopable! or just copy/paste in your daw track)
Attached File  X42_loopable.mp3 ( 1.11MB ) Number of downloads: 21

KEY: E FLat

SCALES TO USE: E Flat Blues/Pentatonic

E Flat Blues

Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible . To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)

1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a audio or video performance of your solo. Best to use soundcloud for audio and youtube for video. EMBED the audio or video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.
2.)Who can participate?: ANYONE!!
3.)What do I get? Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 20 2017, 04:05 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 20 2017, 08:35 AM
Post #623

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 20 2017, 01:53 AM) *
NICE!! I was getting concerned that I'd gone to far with Harmonic Minor Reggae, but I'm glad to see I was wrong smile.gif Very cool solo and well played. I like how most of it is done as a sort of counterpoint in terms of picking rythm. I like the licks you put together and it's all the more impressive that you did it off the cuff not even knowing the scale. You never hit a wrong note! Well played!

Thanks Todd,

I don't really understand what you" mean by "I like how most of it is done as a sort of counterpoint in terms of picking rythm" though wink.gif Could you explain further please?

Thanks buddy.

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Mar 20 2017, 08:25 PM
Post #624

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 20.796

Hi Todd

This is a Preview....... add your critics please ! i must do it more melodic !

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 21 2017, 02:26 AM
Post #625

Group Icon

Sure smile.gif Just mean you start by playing single notes on the off beat. Just that simple really smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 20 2017, 03:35 AM) *
Thanks Todd,

I don't really understand what you" mean by "I like how most of it is done as a sort of counterpoint in terms of picking rythm" though wink.gif Could you explain further please?

Thanks buddy.

I like it! Maybe start off slowly with a bend lick that leads to a few notes that hold longer. This will set up a bit that would serve. like a chorus section works in a song with vocals. You can come back to it and play around with the notes and expand on it. It's like making a statement of whats coming later in the solo. Also it will allow you to build up to speed and give the solo a more dynamic feel. Also, slow back down and play the bend lick again maybe half way through. This is called creating "Dynamics" going from loud to soft, fast to slow. It really helps a solo feel alive smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Mar 20 2017, 03:25 PM) *
Hi Todd

This is a Preview....... add your critics please ! i must do it more melodic !

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 21 2017, 08:18 AM
Post #626

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 21 2017, 01:26 AM) *
Sure smile.gif Just mean you start by playing single notes on the off beat. Just that simple really smile.gif
Todd

Ahhh, thanks Todd,

I've always struggled with reggae even though I like it, check out Handsworth Revolution by Steel Pulse wink.gif Whenever I was in a nightclub back in the day and I hit the dance floor, I was the one bending my knees on the off beat, so as everyone else body went down, mine went up, the offbeat guitar strum in reggae is so prominent.

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Mar 21 2017, 08:35 AM
Post #627

Learning Roadie

Ok Todd !!!

I like it! Maybe start off slowly with a bend lick that leads to a few notes that hold longer. This will set up a bit that would serve. like a chorus section works in a song with vocals. You can come back to it and play around with the notes and expand on it. It's like making a statement of whats coming later in the solo. Also it will allow you to build up to speed and give the solo a more dynamic feel. Also, slow back down and play the bend lick again maybe half way through. This is called creating "Dynamics" going from loud to soft, fast to slow. It really helps a solo feel alive smile.gif

Todd

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
DeGroot
post Mar 25 2017, 06:00 PM
Post #628

Experienced Guitar Hero

Hey Todd, Had to grab the Ibanez for this one. smile.gif Warmed up for about a half hour and put together some random licks. Also went with a Todd Simpson open string style lick near the end. The open B sounded pretty good here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Mar 25 2017, 08:48 PM
Post #629

Learning Roadie

Great stuff DeGroot !!

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 26 2017, 06:45 AM
Post #630

Group Icon

Great to see the IBBY out and kicking butt and taking names!!! Still love that axe smile.gif It's an homage to the legendary RG565 which are amazing and rare as hens teeth. If anyone has one please do feel free to post so we can drool smile.gif

On to the debrief!!!

NICE!!! You really nailed it. The licks were wild and wooly while being tight and technical. That wild bit about 18 seconds in with the crazy stretch and hammer/pull was very cool indeed. I also liked the open string lick and it worked perfectly smile.gif You combined
a wide variety of styles and licks and made it come off like they were all meant to be there. Nothing sounded out of place or out of key or out of time. All of it had your style and here's to that!!! My name is Grooooooooot!!! Indeed smile.gif

Attached Image

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Mar 25 2017, 01:00 PM) *
Hey Todd, Had to grab the Ibanez for this one. smile.gif Warmed up for about a half hour and put together some random licks. Also went with a Todd Simpson open string style lick near the end. The open B sounded pretty good here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
post Mar 26 2017, 05:31 PM
Post #631

Experienced Guitar Hero

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 26 2017, 05:45 AM) *
Great to see the IBBY out and kicking butt and taking names!!! Still love that axe smile.gif It's an homage to the legendary RG565 which are amazing and rare as hens teeth. If anyone has one please do feel free to post so we can drool smile.gif

On to the debrief!!!

NICE!!! You really nailed it. The licks were wild and wooly while being tight and technical. That wild bit about 18 seconds in with the crazy stretch and hammer/pull was very cool indeed. I also liked the open string lick and it worked perfectly smile.gif You combined
a wide variety of styles and licks and made it come off like they were all meant to be there. Nothing sounded out of place or out of key or out of time. All of it had your style and here's to that!!! My name is Grooooooooot!!! Indeed smile.gif

Attached Image

Thanks for the debrief! smile.gif I hardly ever see a RG565 for sale. Never had my hands on the original myself but I'm sure it is fantastic. I see the RG3XXV listed still but the asking price is close to $800 and they were around $400 brand new. dry.gif

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Mar 25 2017, 07:48 PM) *
Great stuff DeGroot !!

Cheers

Laurent

Thanks man!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 26 2017, 08:50 PM
Post #632

Sorry Todd,

I left this one until today, as usual, but with a track this fast I needed much more time. I can't play fast so I would have come up with some slow licks but trying to keep in time.

Maybe next time smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 26 2017, 08:50 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 26 2017, 09:43 PM
Post #633

Group Icon

Take your time smile.gif I'm going to give this one another week as it's a fast track and I knew folks would probably need more time with it. Also, you don't have to play fast! You can play slow and melodic over this backing and it will work just fine smile.gif Don't be thrown off by the speed of the backing track, just play naturally and let it come out. I'm sure you can play something cool over this. Try using some slow bends and some long vibrato, to contrast the speed.

YOU CAN DO IT GUYS!!!!!!

DEADLINE EXTENDED TIL NEXT SUNDAY: AUDIO or VIDEO

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 26 2017, 03:50 PM) *
Sorry Todd,

I left this one until today, as usual, but with a track this fast I needed much more time. I can't play fast so I would have come up with some slow licks but trying to keep in time.

Maybe next time smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 27 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #634

Ok Todd, thanks for extending.

This is the kind of thing I'm coming up with, any advice would be great smile.gif

My licks are very limited and as you know so I struggle to come up with things. I played in different positions on the two takes the second take I'm using the extended box 1 pentatonic shape.

It's all good fun anyway smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/odd-key-metal-take-1

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/odd-key-metal-take-2

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 28 2017, 07:12 PM
Post #635

Further to the two above I did another one tonight, this is my favourite so far smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/odd-key-metal-take-3

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 28 2017, 07:13 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 29 2017, 02:48 AM
Post #636

Group Icon

I must say I liked the second one much better smile.gif It sounded like you may have gone of key a bit at the end on the first one with the notes and the bends but the second was sounded in key the entire time and I liked the overall vibe a bit better as well smile.gif Gonna have a listen to part III now!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 27 2017, 03:52 PM) *
Ok Todd, thanks for extending.

This is the kind of thing I'm coming up with, any advice would be great smile.gif

My licks are very limited and as you know so I struggle to come up with things. I played in different positions on the two takes the second take I'm using the extended box 1 pentatonic shape.

It's all good fun anyway smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/odd-key-metal-take-1

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/odd-key-metal-take-2

Cheers buddy.

This one is my FAVE of them all smile.gif I like the pinch harmonic you threw in there as well smile.gif The bends all work, the timing is good, the licks are spiff, well done!!! I can hear the blues basis for it and it works really well against the backing. You show a good bit of improvement just since yesterday! IT goes to show how giving something a day can help. Your brain will work with a given problem, even while you are asleep and you can come back to it with a bit of a fresh perspective. Putting something down for the night if often a good way to make it better the next day so well done there! In other words, you just....

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 28 2017, 02:12 PM) *
Further to the two above I did another one tonight, this is my favourite so far smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/odd-key-metal-take-3

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 29 2017, 02:53 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 29 2017, 08:37 PM
Post #637

Thanks Todd, The pinch harmonic was a split second decision and I was hoping it would sustain a little bit more but I didn't quite catch it right rolleyes.gif

I can't believe the difference in the third take compared to the other two. I'm a little embarrassed about the first two now that number 3 is posted unsure.gif I am quite pleased with #3 though. Have you noticed how I keep holding notes? That's "thinking time", I need to break out of that unsure.gif

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 31 2017, 08:17 PM
Post #638

Group Icon

It worked out quite well IMHO smile.gif Sounded great start to finish!! I hope we get a few more entries to go along with it smile.gif Next week we are going to be using an original track created by GMCER FZALFA!!! It's a a very cool track and should be fun to solo over smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 29 2017, 03:37 PM) *
Thanks Todd, The pinch harmonic was a split second decision and I was hoping it would sustain a little bit more but I didn't quite catch it right rolleyes.gif

I can't believe the difference in the third take compared to the other two. I'm a little embarrassed about the first two now that number 3 is posted unsure.gif I am quite pleased with #3 though. Have you noticed how I keep holding notes? That's "thinking time", I need to break out of that unsure.gif

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Apr 3 2017, 04:05 AM
Post #639

Group Icon

!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-43!!!!
TIME TO SWING FOR THE FENCES!

*Download mp3 Attached File  Evil.mp3 ( 8.7MB ) Number of downloads: 18

*Download Wav Attached File  Evil.wav ( 23.8MB ) Number of downloads: 4

PREPARE YOURSELVES: This may be the toughest one yet but don't run off. It's created by our own FZALFA and it's an Evil Mother of a Track. Harkens back to early Mayhem IMHO. Has a very descending chromatic style to it and is in the key of D roughly Minor/Chromatic. It spends time on chromatic notes so you will need to adjust to that. It's probably the hardest one yet. But I have faith in you guys!!!!

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx43

IMPORTANT: YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: VIDEO OPTIONAL : audio or video is fine.

DOWNLOAD BACKING:
MP3 Backing Track Attached File  Evil.mp3 ( 8.7MB ) Number of downloads: 18

WAV Backing Track Attached File  Evil.wav ( 23.8MB ) Number of downloads: 4

KEY: D Minor

SCALES TO USE: D Minor/D Blues
D Minor
Attached Image
D Blues
Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible . To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)

1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a audio or video performance of your solo. Best to use soundcloud for audio and youtube for video. EMBED the audio or video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.
2.)Who can participate?: ANYONE!!
3.)What do I get? Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
post Apr 4 2017, 03:39 AM
Post #640

Experienced Guitar Hero

Epic track Laurent! cool.gif Count me in.

--------------------

+Quote Post

39 Pages V  « < 30 31 32 33 34 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2017 - 02:59 AM