Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Jun 5 2017, 08:41 PM
Post #682

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 20.796

Here is my quick and dirty take !! (but maybe be inspirated tonight)

Enjoy !

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 5 2017, 08:43 PM
Post #683

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

VERY COOL!! I really like what you did here. It combines technicality with sheer aggression and style. Your tone is killer as well. You have a really good handle on the BIAS plugin and it's sounding like aa HUGE angry amp, micd up in another room, which is exactly what it's supposed to sound like smile.gif Well done there!

You lead off with one of my fave licks for diving in to a solo. Then you start shredding it up and follow through with some ery tasteful bending. Not a single note misplaced. Everything works. I think you are playing against the key instead of with it, but even that works! All in all, you freaking killed it! I hope we get more like this as you have set the bar pretty high!!!

in other words, you just...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jun 5 2017, 11:53 AM) *

47 at ya! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Jun 5 2017, 08:50 PM
Post #684

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.298

Didn't you say it was A# minor? I'm sure I was playing that?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 5 2017, 09:11 PM
Post #685

Group Icon

The Second solo already and yet another Barn Burner!!! I like how you dive right in and start running the boards for max intensity. You have a really good grasp on how to connect scale patterns and run them up and down the neck, way beyond what I would expect given how briefly you have been playing overall. So well done there!!!!

I like how you switch the picking speed and picking accents in the second half of the solo to provide contrast to the first half. Taken together, the halves work quite well! Your tone is also quite good here, is that the 11 Rack I hear? Is it a patch of your own making? Either way, well done!

In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jun 5 2017, 03:41 PM) *
Here is my quick and dirty take !! (but maybe be inspirated tonight)

Enjoy !

Cheers

Laurent

You are indeed smile.gif I was talking about little bits like the lick around 9 seconds where you went blues/pentatonic in a three note descending pattern instead of using the minor descending. E.g It sounded like you played frets 9,8,6 on the G string instead of 8,6,5 which would be more expected. Both are in key, and both work, it was just a bit unexpected which is why I liked it smile.gif I hope that makes sense?

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jun 5 2017, 03:50 PM) *
Didn't you say it was A# minor? I'm sure I was playing that?

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jun 8 2017, 02:41 AM
Post #686

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 7.667

Here we go, my entry for X47. This is my sixth entry for Sunday Shred, hope you like it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 8 2017, 04:20 PM
Post #687

Group Icon

Very nicely done!!! You start off strong and keep it up for the entire Solo. Are those 8s your picking at the start and again near the last? I like it! It's on beat and controlled. It's not "tremelo" style picking, which is honestly something I try to encourage folks not to do as it's not tied to a beat, just brisk, semi random picking. Then you switch in to some technical bits and some very nice tasty bends.

Your technique is on point for the entire solo and your actual "Soloing" is on point as well! It really does take both imho, to have a good solo. I really believe that one's technical ability should not limit one's musical expression. Your playing here is a good example of soloing that is well written and well played. You nailed it!!! in short you just...

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

Todd
P.S. Nice Ibby!!

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jun 7 2017, 09:41 PM) *
Here we go, my entry for X47. This is my sixth entry for Sunday Shred, hope you like it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jun 8 2017, 11:26 PM
Post #688

Learning Rock Star

Thanks Todd! What do you mean by 8s? Yes, I was trying to stay on beat with the "tremolo" picking. I'm still not fast enough to play really quick bits so I stick to trying to make good note choices and keep it interesting with other techniques.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 8 2017, 11:20 AM) *
Very nicely done!!! You start off strong and keep it up for the entire Solo. Are those 8s your picking at the start and again near the last? I like it! It's on beat and controlled. It's not "tremelo" style picking, which is honestly something I try to encourage folks not to do as it's not tied to a beat, just brisk, semi random picking. Then you switch in to some technical bits and some very nice tasty bends.

Your technique is on point for the entire solo and your actual "Soloing" is on point as well! It really does take both imho, to have a good solo. I really believe that one's technical ability should not limit one's musical expression. Your playing here is a good example of soloing that is well written and well played. You nailed it!!! in short you just...

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

Todd
P.S. Nice Ibby!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 9 2017, 02:48 AM
Post #689

Group Icon

You did!! It was perfectly in time smile.gif Was it 8 strikes per bar? I was just quick ear counting. But all the strikes were on beat. Well done there smile.gif I Liked the entire solo!

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jun 8 2017, 06:26 PM) *
Thanks Todd! What do you mean by 8s? Yes, I was trying to stay on beat with the "tremolo" picking. I'm still not fast enough to play really quick bits so I stick to trying to make good note choices and keep it interesting with other techniques.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jun 9 2017, 09:25 PM
Post #690

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 8 2017, 09:48 PM) *
You did!! It was perfectly in time smile.gif Was it 8 strikes per bar? I was just quick ear counting. But all the strikes were on beat. Well done there smile.gif I Liked the entire solo!

Todd

Oh ok, I have no idea if it's 8 strikes per bar smile.gif Just tried to feel the beat. Thanks, looking forward to a new challenge this weekend!

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
post Jun 11 2017, 04:18 PM
Post #691

Experienced Guitar Hero

Member No.: 14.899

Did a quick take shred fest 47

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 12 2017, 05:10 AM
Post #692

Group Icon

LOVED IT! Your playing was quite fresh and unexpected per usual. Starting with a chord shape and integrating wads of chordal work in to the solo was a great idea and worked well. It also transitioned quite well in to the Sweep/Arp bits that followed. Then about 17 you really shook me with that scale thingy. I can't tell by looking, what scale is that? is it a pentatonic? Looks like a big stretch in it. Nice!

Per usual, you hit me sideways which is always fun and I"m glad you put one in smile.gif I hope to hear you again on our next one!! In other words, you just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 11 2017, 11:18 AM) *
Did a quick take shred fest 47

!!! SUNDAY SHRED FEST X-48!!!!
GETTING "MAJOR"!

*Let's try something MAJOR!! In particular, E MAJOR!!! You can use any notes you like, but the backing works well with E Major.

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx48

IMPORTANT: YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: VIDEO OPTIONAL : audio or video is fine.

DOWNLOAD BACKING: Attached File  48.mp3 ( 1.1MB ) Number of downloads: 25

KEY: E MAJORSCALES TO USE: E MAJOR (or anything you think sounds cool)
Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible . To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)

1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a audio or video performance of your solo. Best to use soundcloud for audio and youtube for video. EMBED the audio or video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.
2.)Who can participate?: ANYONE!!
3.)What do I get? Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 12 2017, 05:14 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
post Jun 12 2017, 12:36 PM
Post #693

Experienced Guitar Hero

Member No.: 14.899

Thanks! I used the Hirajoshi scale at that part. It's one of my favorite scales to use in soloing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 13 2017, 02:22 AM
Post #694

Group Icon

GETTING "MAJOR"!

*Let's try something MAJOR!! In particular, E MAJOR!!! You can use any notes you like, but the backing works well with E Major.

Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible . To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a audio or video performance of your solo. Best to use soundcloud for audio and youtube for video. EMBED the audio or video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.
3.)What do I get? Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jun 14 2017, 02:36 AM
Post #695

Learning Rock Star

Todd, is it possible to get tempo and the chord progression used in these Sunday Shred backings? I've been working with Gab on my chord tone soloing and would like to try to put these two assignments together. Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 14 2017, 07:08 PM
Post #696

Group Icon

Tempo should be 120, which is usually where I start most things as it's a comfy pace smile.gif As for he chord progressions, I really don't know to be honest as I collected together some of my fave samples and built this song using that. I"m not playing any of this. I really patched it together the way a DJ might. I wanted to experiment with creating something from bit parts. Also, I really want you guys to get some ear practice on these and learn to trust your instincts and your ear which is why I usually only include a scale or two that will work. Try not to focus on the chord progression, try not to focus even on the key, just focus on your ears and whether or not what you are playing sounds right. That's really the point to these. You can't make a mistake, you can't fail, it's not a REC, it's just an experiment to try to get your fingers and your ears ready to play with anything you hear.

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jun 13 2017, 09:36 PM) *
Todd, is it possible to get tempo and the chord progression used in these Sunday Shred backings? I've been working with Gab on my chord tone soloing and would like to try to put these two assignments together. Thanks!

Now that's what I call experimentation smile.gif I'd not even heard of that scale to be honest. Well done in throwing something entirely unexpected at it smile.gif That's what I really want to see on these. This is a good space to try just about anything. There is no failing grade on these. It's really just a chance to cut loose and see where you fingers lead you smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 12 2017, 07:36 AM) *
Thanks! I used the Hirajoshi scale at that part. It's one of my favorite scales to use in soloing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Jun 18 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #697

Learning Rock Star

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 18 2017, 07:56 PM
Post #698

Group Icon

NICE!!! I hope everyone watches this video and watches it carefully. Notice how he makes the TREM part of the playing, it's not something he uses after the note, as some do, it's very "STEVE VAI" in that he is integrating the trem along with vibrato, creating a slippery, double vibrato vibe that Petrucci and Vai both use to great effect. This is NOT easy to do and make sound musical so super congrats on that. Also, the note choice is perfect and works great with the backing. The Major scale is not one that we use that much in general so it's great to see someone be able to run the scale through several octaves and then end up with a great sweep sequence as a bonus near the end. That's what I was hoping to see smile.gif Major based sweeps. Different from Minor based sweeps, which for some reason, folks seem to learn first. That's why I made this is a Major scale. It's a very important scale to know and to know across several octaves.

In short very well done and i LOVED what you did with it. Not to mention, DAT FREAKING IBBY IS FREAKIN SAWEEEETTTTT!!!

In short you just....

LEVLED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jun 18 2017, 09:26 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 18 2017, 07:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Jun 18 2017, 08:09 PM
Post #699

Learning Rock Star

Thanks for the nice feedback, Todd! smile.gif Was not an easy one. Looking forward to the next!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 19 2017, 01:59 AM
Post #700

Group Icon

*As BEN mentioned, this one is a challenge as there are no drums, no click track, just the floaty stringed instruments. I think you guys can do it!! Let's give it one more week.
---
GETTING "MAJOR"!

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

42 Pages V  « < 33 34 35 36 37 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 01:57 PM