> Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
Todd Simpson
post Jul 13 2017, 08:10 PM
Post #721

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

I apologize for not answering about the BPM but I really want you guys to try to focus on just feeling the vibe rather than counting it. It doesn't have to be exact, it doesn't even have to match. It's all about just closing your eyes and trying to find notes that just sound right to you. smile.gif I know this is a challenge, and with this piece, where the drums and the instruments seem like they are playing in different time zones, you really have to rely on your gut and instincts as it's really tough to match up not and speed wise. But that's why it's a challenge smile.gif

First off HUGE congrats on being the first one to the table with a take. This is a very odd backing, and you had the stones to take it on and share your results which is really what this is all about smile.gif I listened to it several times and it works for me! I would not call it rubbish at all. Everything works and I like the whammy trill thing as well smile.gif It's a bit chaotic but so is the backing, there isn't a firm rythm to follow so it's like running on sand just a bit which is why I chose this one. Your spot on with tone and note choices and the entire thing works as a solo. I must say, super congrats!!!! smile.gif

You just

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

quote name='Phil66' date='Jul 12 2017, 04:17 PM' post='749900']
I got about 150 tapping on my Korg TM-50, not sure if it's 4/4 though, it's really odd to my ears rolleyes.gif

Well this is way to fast for me, can't come up with anything really so I've called this piece, "Chaotic Rubbish" laugh.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/chaotic-rubbish
[/quote]

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jul 13 2017, 09:11 PM
Post #722

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Wow, thanks Todd, it's probably the hardest backing ever, the odd timing is bad enough but the speed just makes it nigh on impossible, for me anyway smile.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
HaveGuitar
post Jul 14 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #723

Member No.: 22.470

Hey, here's my contribution... at first I thought I wouldn't have time, but as soon as I heard your backing track, those first 5-6 notes popped up in my head. So I just downloaded the file, tested if the notes worked and recorded. Less than 5 minutes actually, sometimes inspiration is just around when you need it! smile.gif Well, hope you'll like it - again it's no shred fest but ... well. smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/magnuscassersj/x50-improvsolo

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 15 2017, 03:26 AM
Post #724

Group Icon

Super Mega Congrats on getting a spiff take!! This is probably one of the toughest tracks I've ever put out there so serious props on having the stones to give it a go. So far only a couple of folks have gotten that far and you are one of them. I may have gone to far for #50, but you gotta to to far to find where the limit is smile.gif

I really like what you did! You have a very strong command of bending and vibrato as well as pinch harmonics and you use all of these to great effect on your solo. The notes blend in and out of the solo and hang above it without fighting against it which is tough on a track like this with so much syncopation in it. Your approach is perfect. Instead of trying to match note for note in terms of timing, you held notes longer and let vibrato and bending work for you. A great approach and good instincts on that! Sometimes the first thing to come in to your head is the best thing smile.gif

Part of what I'm doing with these is trying to force people out of their comfort zones in terms of soloing and thus using odd keys/time signatures/etc. So that the backing is almost fighting against you sometimes. You fought back and did so with style. In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (HaveGuitar @ Jul 14 2017, 03:23 PM) *
Hey, here's my contribution... at first I thought I wouldn't have time, but as soon as I heard your backing track, those first 5-6 notes popped up in my head. So I just downloaded the file, tested if the notes worked and recorded. Less than 5 minutes actually, sometimes inspiration is just around when you need it! smile.gif Well, hope you'll like it - again it's no shred fest but ... well. smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/magnuscassersj/x50-improvsolo

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 17 2017, 03:21 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Jul 15 2017, 09:35 AM
Post #725

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 20.796

Hi Here

This is my small contribution, no vid, because this morning i'm still naked !!
where are my cloth !..?

https://soundcloud.com/dizy-laurent/tapedeck-2-jul-15-10-22-10

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 15 2017, 08:13 PM
Post #726

Group Icon

NICE!!!! This is a great take. I can almost hear your though process as you blaze through the solo. It matches quite well and is a great example of using your ear and your instincts to guide you. This track is intentionally difficult. Too fast to really shred on, too slow and wonky to play comfy and slow. You have to sort of play over or against it. You found a way to add melody and harmony to your lead and let it lay on top of the backing. Very fine sense of how to place notes in difficult places and use phrasing to make the solo stand out from the backing.

I'm stoked that we have had three folks willing to take the plunge and give this a shot. This solo is a great example of how you can make almost any backing work if you want to, even if it's wonky and busy and hard to play over. Well done!!

In other words you just..

LEVLED UP!!!!
(And you remain the TOP DOG on the Shred Challenge leader board!)

Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 15 2017, 04:35 AM) *
Hi Here

This is my small contribution, no vid, because this morning i'm still naked !!
where are my cloth !..?

https://soundcloud.com/dizy-laurent/tapedeck-2-jul-15-10-22-10

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jul 16 2017, 03:32 AM
Post #727

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 7.667

Short and sweet, but wanted to make a submission this week.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 17 2017, 03:46 AM
Post #728

Group Icon

Great to see you doing a take! I dig it quite a bit! I like how you followed the main progression and added your own flourish. I like how you built a catchy melody on top of a very complicated backing. I gotta give you all props for playing against this backing. It has honestly impressed me that you guys not only gave it a try but did well and turned in very cool solos.

Your sense of melody/harmony on this is quite good. A good solo should be memorable so it needs bits that work like a chorus part would in a song, and so you gotta repeat those bits as well so they stick in the listeners ear. Like many great tunes from Satch or Vai, the main melody through line is the most important part.
Especially when doing instrumental music IMHO. Without that, there is not as much for a listener to hold on too.

In other words, you just

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jul 15 2017, 10:32 PM) *
Short and sweet, but wanted to make a submission this week.

*As this is our 50th Challenge, I wanted to give another week to folks who may not have found time to put in a take. I'm hoping to hear from BEN and I"ve personally invited several folks that I'd love to heard solos from and many have already headed the call. This is a challenging track, you gotta earn it!
Todd

------------------------------------------------
!!! SUNDAY SHRED CHALLENGE X-50!!!!

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredchallengex50

IMPORTANT: YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: VIDEO OPTIONAL : audio or video is fine.

DOWNLOAD BACKING: Attached File  Challenge50.mp3 ( 980.33K ) Number of downloads: 3

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/gmc-sunday-shred-challenge-backing-e-minor
KEY: E Minor

SCALES TO USE:

E Minor
Attached Image
E Blues
Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible . To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)

1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a audio or video performance of your solo. Best to use soundcloud for audio and youtube for video. EMBED the audio or video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.
2.)Who can participate?: ANYONE!!
3.)What do I get? Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 17 2017, 03:52 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 24 2017, 08:30 AM
Post #729

Group Icon

*As this is our 50th Challenge, I'd love to hear solos from any and all. no vid reqiured. This is a challenging track, you gotta earn it!
Todd

------------------------------------------------
!!! SUNDAY SHRED CHALLENGE X-50!!!!

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredchallengex50

DOWNLOAD BACKING: Attached File  Challenge50.mp3 ( 980.33K ) Number of downloads: 3

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/gmc-sunday-shred-challenge-backing-e-minor
KEY: E Minor

SCALES TO USE:

E Minor
Attached Image
E Blues
Attached Image

DUE DATE: Before MIDNIGHT Next Sunday!! (If you run a bit late that's ok) I'm pushing back the due date to as late as possible . To give you more weekend time. So the new challenge may already be posted when you go to put up your take. This is fine, just take a look at the new challenge as you post your take so you can practice a bit during the week if possible

1.)What do I need to do?: Reply to this post with a audio or video performance of your solo. Best to use soundcloud for audio and youtube for video. EMBED the audio or video in the post (Ask me if you need any help)That's it, no files, no transfers, just you playing I will give you feedback on your submission and you will get your updated SHRED FEST MISSION BADGE for having the stones to put yourself out there and for making the time to make music.
3.)What do I get? Upon putting your video in the thread, you will get a critique of your playing and a badge to commemorate your effort. The more Challenges you complete, the higher the level

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 24 2017, 08:30 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 31 2017, 09:41 AM
Post #730

Group Icon

!!! SUNDAY SHRED CHALLENGE X-51 !!!

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredchallengex51

DOWNLOAD BACKING: Attached File  X51Backing.mp3 ( 1.52MB ) Number of downloads: 12

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/something-going-on-backing-track-short-versionn-d-minorblues

KEY: D Minor

SCALES TO USE:

D Minor
Attached Image

D Blues
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Jul 31 2017, 07:11 PM
Post #731

Learning Roadie

Damn !!!! a King Size One is requested !!!!!!!!

a preview....

https://soundcloud.com/dizy-laurent/tapedeck-2-jul-31-20-30-37

Cheers

Laurent

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Jul 31 2017, 08:00 PM

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 2 2017, 03:49 AM
Post #732

Group Icon

I really dig where you are going with this!! For you, of course, the LONG VERSION!!!!! smile.gif

Attached File  x51long.mp3 ( 7.4MB ) Number of downloads: 11

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 31 2017, 02:11 PM) *
Damn !!!! a King Size One is requested !!!!!!!!

a preview....

https://soundcloud.com/dizy-laurent/tapedeck-2-jul-31-20-30-37

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Aug 2 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #733

Learning Roadie

Ho yeah !!!

Thanks Todd !!

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Aug 2 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #734

Learning Roadie

Hi here

This is my take

i have missed the first bend.... too bad

https://soundcloud.com/dizy-laurent/tapedeck-2-aug-02-21-28-38

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 2 2017, 10:55 PM
Post #735

Group Icon

NICE!!! All of your practice and skill on display in this one. I hear you following the melody through line in your head just before playing it. I almost know where you are going as it just makes tonal sense. Well done. I can hear my fave bits like the "MINOR INVERSION" being used as well as some of my other fave blues and minor licks as well. All of them are placed well and played well. You really killed it IMHO.

I'm curious to hear your take over the LONG version? or was that just for practice sake? The long version does have bits with very little instrumentation to guide you during certain spots which is why I chose the chunk that I did for the short version smile.gif But either way, great take and you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!!!

Also, you remain TOP DOG in the SHRED CHALLENGE!! Super Congrats and keep it up!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Aug 2 2017, 03:38 PM) *
Hi here

This is my take

i have missed the first bend.... too bad

https://soundcloud.com/dizy-laurent/tapedeck-2-aug-02-21-28-38

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Aug 3 2017, 11:22 PM
Post #736

Learning Roadie

Hi Todd

thanks for the critics smile.gif

i'll shot a long version tryout on, but i try and i must admit this: doinga 5 minutes solo is really hard !!

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Aug 5 2017, 09:35 PM
Post #737

OK here's my take, I'll try to get another one done but not sure what time I will have as you know I've just got back from the south of France.

Usual listen to it a couple of times and stare at the scale generator while improvising biggrin.gif Not sure if it's allowed to do any rhythm on this challenge but I did a bit at the beginning as I was struggling to get the feel. It helped so I left it in. Hope that's ok Todd.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/ssfc-51-take-1

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 5 2017, 09:36 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 6 2017, 11:52 AM
Post #738

Group Icon

I know life is a busy thing so thanks for taking time out to make a take! Each take adds to our challenge thread here and provides clues for those that follow after who may want some solo practice and be using these as practice tracks. You guys are making the solos that they will listen to in order to get a feel for what works and what doesn't. So you are all part of the Teaching as well as the learning smile.gif Onward to the Critique!

First off, I like the chord bit and you were spot on in key with it. smile.gif Well done there! Then you use a slow build up to build tension which is part of the critical "TENSION AND RELEASE" thing I always hammer on about. (No pun intended)

Second, if you are just looking at the scales and winging it, you are doing quite well. Not everyone can wing it like that in real time if they don't know the scale and have to look at it as they go. Points there as well!!! Hopefully you are getting more familiar with the MINOR SCALE in it's primary Root Position. It's a VERY commonly used scale for a good reason, it always works with Minor backings. Also, I hear you using the blues scale as well. Good blending!!

There is one hitch. You hit a couple of bends near the end and both of them are a bit out of key. For bends, fret up to where you are trying to bend to in order to make sure it's a note in the scale position you are at. You can check it against the scale diagram. Bending is just moving up the neck with moving your fret position. You are bending the note to get it up to the next note in the scale, typically a whole step (two frets). This is also where you ear comes in. Being able to tell that a given bend is "off" in terms of the note you are hitting, is key to making good bends. The best place to start bending from is the G string in the blues scale and bend up a whole step. Start on the G a fourth up from the octave. So the same fret as the root note on the D string. Then bend up one whole step. Fret one step up to get the tone you are reaching for in your head. Make sense?
This is a fairly minor thing that I"m sure you will work out as we go. Overall though, well done!!! In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 5 2017, 04:35 PM) *
OK here's my take, I'll try to get another one done but not sure what time I will have as you know I've just got back from the south of France.

Usual listen to it a couple of times and stare at the scale generator while improvising biggrin.gif Not sure if it's allowed to do any rhythm on this challenge but I did a bit at the beginning as I was struggling to get the feel. It helped so I left it in. Hope that's ok Todd.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/ssfc-51-take-1

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Aug 6 2017, 12:28 PM
Post #739

Thanks Todd,
I knew the bends were out to be honest but didn't have time in the piece to push sharper if you know what I mean. I guess knowing they were flat is part of the battle and next is to get to pitch in time. At least my ears are improving.
Cheers
Phil

UPDATE:

You know, I've just been listening again, I although it wasn't intended, I think the flat bends give the piece almost a "tormented soul" sound which I kinda like but wish it was intended biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 6 2017, 08:05 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Aug 7 2017, 12:05 AM
Post #740

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.298

--------------------

+Quote Post

42 Pages V  « < 35 36 37 38 39 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 08:37 PM