> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Dave Murray Style, Lesson By Ben Higgins
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3
post May 22 2016, 06:41 PM
Post #1

Experienced Tone Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.545

Original lesson: Dave Murray Style by Ben Higgins

Hi Guys, Here's my take of this awesome lesson. Hope you like it, Thanks Ben! I tune in E flat btw Cheers Peter

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post May 23 2016, 09:45 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 9.820

Hi Peter, thanks for having a blast with my lesson - it's cool to hear smile.gif

On the opening single note riffs.... you can hear that you use a bit of palm muting hear but these types of lines are always played with no muting at all, on any Maiden track. See if you can do it without muting - the lines will flow a lot more smoothly that way. Y

You also have a tendency to take your fingers off the notes a bit early so that they don't sound for the required duration. You do this during the opening riff but also during the solo.

The solo is good and well played. The transition from the first bend to the second bend at 0:44 is lost... the bends stand out but not the notes between. They're also a crucial part of the phrasing: the note when the bend lets down and the note played by the index finger need to come through clearly as well.

I like your tone.. Dave plays a lot of his solos using the neck pickup, which I did as well, so it would be interesting to hear you do it that way too.

Overall, good work - just polish up details like keeping your fingers fretting the notes for a bit longer.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 24 2016, 02:46 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

Hi Peter,

The lesson requires some extra work to adjust details and make everything sound better. The strong part of this take is your timing which is tight on most of the parts. The things to improve are:

- The intro guitar lines. There is a different in how much you are muting the strings with the original, and it makes it sound less smooth. Check out the original lesson (the slow video) and try to emulate the sound that Ben get, which is clean but not muted as much.

- The solo section has some different issues:

You have to be careful with bending's pitches and you also need to be careful with your vibrato which sometimes make the notes sound out of pitch because it's more like a bend than a vibrato. You need to make it sound more consistent.

Besides this, you can dedicate some more time to the fast licks, to make them sound clearer.

The take is good, and you are getting closer, just work on those details and you'll master this one.

My lessons

Don't miss my New Guitar Session at VCHAT,
this Wednesday at 20 hs (London Time).

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post May 30 2016, 10:44 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

Hey there! Your takes do not go below some level - always a pleasure to listen. This time I think it's more about working on the breaks/pauses to keep them clean. At the moment there some weird noise happening between notes. Main riff is not clean and tight enough yet. I have an idea where the cause could be....

...Picking Direction. Main riff starts at the weak part of the beat. In the typical strumming you would play that note with an upstroke and keep all other notes assigned to the picking direction proper for : *downstroke on strong beat part * upstroke on weak beat part. As Ben wisely said in one of his posts...somewhere..."alternate picking is just a strumming with very narrow motion range". People who played a lot of acoustic guitar strumming at the beginning, usually have less problems assigning picking direction in their solo playing as well. In fact Ben starts to pick from the downstroke but if you keep watching his right hand, you'll notice every another "opening" not for the lick is being played with an upstroke. IT all has a lot to do with timing and removing unnecesarry motion that sometimes causes noise. I would advice to spend some time on fixing picking direction and I guess you'll notice things will sound better smile.gif

+Quote Post
post May 31 2016, 09:26 PM
Post #5

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.338

Pass: 7

Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2016 - 04:37 PM