> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Narzsa's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 6 2016, 12:48 AM
Post #21

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Narzsa @ Jul 5 2016, 06:22 AM) *
So when composing, I take it you come up with a chord progression that sounds appealing. From here, you then look at the chords and their makeup to select the appropriate scale, based upon the intervals used. The notes that actually make up the chord would be considered the strongest notes, whilst the others would be more passing?

Exactly. That's what you could do to know what scale can be used over a backing track to soloing and creating melodies. And yes, the chord tones are the ones that will sound better to stay and the other ones are usually used as passing notes. However, there are some of these passing notes that can generate interesting sound if you stay on them so I recommend you to experiment with this. When creating melodies for a song, I usually sing melodies without thinking on scales or theory.

QUOTE (Narzsa @ Jul 5 2016, 06:22 AM) *
Obviously in metal traditional chords are less utilized, but would you say still made up from the rifts played and the collection of single notes and power chords giving you the chord progression?

I don't understand this question. mellow.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Narzsa
post Jul 6 2016, 12:56 PM
Post #22

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 12.778

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 5 2016, 11:48 PM) *
Exactly. That's what you could do to know what scale can be used over a backing track to soloing and creating melodies. And yes, the chord tones are the ones that will sound better to stay and the other ones are usually used as passing notes. However, there are some of these passing notes that can generate interesting sound if you stay on them so I recommend you to experiment with this. When creating melodies for a song, I usually sing melodies without thinking on scales or theory.

I don't understand this question. mellow.gif

Hi Gab,

I mean, say for instance the BFMV metalcore lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bullet...e-Style-Lesson/.
The core rifts (step 3 for instance) are a collection of single notes alot of the time, not traditional chords. But instead they are produced from playing the root (Ab) and the 5th and an augmented 4th for the first pattern, the root (Bb), a perfect 4th and a major 3rd for the second pattern etc. So during this time as the rift is played you could look at the rift and see the bulk is made up from root and 5ths, that's what you'll use to recognize the chord progression to be able to solo over

--------------------
Current Setup:

Dean VMNT1
Boss GT10
ENGL Screamer 50 watt Combo

\m/

+Quote Post
Narzsa
post Jul 6 2016, 06:36 PM
Post #23

btw Gabe, here is my progress with the BFMV lesson smile.gif https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xFDb2BlMjw

--------------------
Current Setup:

Dean VMNT1
Boss GT10

\m/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 7 2016, 02:50 AM
Post #24

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Narzsa @ Jul 6 2016, 09:56 AM) *
Hi Gab,

I mean, say for instance the BFMV metalcore lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bullet...e-Style-Lesson/.
The core rifts (step 3 for instance) are a collection of single notes alot of the time, not traditional chords. But instead they are produced from playing the root (Ab) and the 5th and an augmented 4th for the first pattern, the root (Bb), a perfect 4th and a major 3rd for the second pattern etc. So during this time as the rift is played you could look at the rift and see the bulk is made up from root and 5ths, that's what you'll use to recognize the chord progression to be able to solo over

ah yes, this type of riffs are based on chords so you are right about recognizing the chord progression from this riff. I basically focus on the root of each chord and its 5th, and add some neighbor notes to give the riff a melody.

About the lesson, you are on the right track with it. The main element to take care during the next days of practice is timing. You tend to rush a bit the tempo when going from one section to the other, and also when playing fast legato runs.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Narzsa
post Jul 7 2016, 11:03 AM
Post #25

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 7 2016, 01:50 AM) *
ah yes, this type of riffs are based on chords so you are right about recognizing the chord progression from this riff. I basically focus on the root of each chord and its 5th, and add some neighbor notes to give the riff a melody.

About the lesson, you are on the right track with it. The main element to take care during the next days of practice is timing. You tend to rush a bit the tempo when going from one section to the other, and also when playing fast legato runs.

cool cheers Gab smile.gif starting to make sense. I'm guessing using chord progression is an easy way to come up with different sections of a song, that sounds connected and flow well?

Cheers Gab, definitely will focus on getting the next one tighter with the timing smile.gif

--------------------
Current Setup:

Dean VMNT1
Boss GT10

\m/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 8 2016, 04:10 PM
Post #26

Instructor
Group Icon

yes, chord progressions are what give a direction to the different parts of a song. It's very interesting to se how much the intention of a melody can change by modifying the backing chords.

At this point I recommend to dedicate some time to analyze the lessons that you are learning. Detect the key and analyze the chord progressions used. You will see that sometimes the progression is more like modal, which means that it's stable over one root, while in other parts of the song, the chords will "move" the melody.

Take your time to understand how the different parts are build and interact.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Narzsa
post Jul 9 2016, 12:40 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 8 2016, 03:10 PM) *
yes, chord progressions are what give a direction to the different parts of a song. It's very interesting to se how much the intention of a melody can change by modifying the backing chords.

At this point I recommend to dedicate some time to analyze the lessons that you are learning. Detect the key and analyze the chord progressions used. You will see that sometimes the progression is more like modal, which means that it's stable over one root, while in other parts of the song, the chords will "move" the melody.

Take your time to understand how the different parts are build and interact.

Cheers Gab, this is actually starting to make alot of sense to me. I used to write good rifts but be totally stuck as to where to go, and i think it was because i tried to build a song from a scale, not from a chord progression. What i should be using scales for is to "colour" that chord progression with, and as you said, each section is almost a world to itself as the chords move the melody smile.gif

This post has been edited by Narzsa: Jul 9 2016, 12:43 PM

--------------------
Current Setup:

Dean VMNT1
Boss GT10

\m/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 9 2016, 05:13 PM
Post #28

Instructor
Group Icon

Exactly! And something really important and tricky is to connect the different parts. Find the right way (and chord) to make the transition from one part to the other smooth.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Narzsa
post Jul 10 2016, 09:27 AM
Post #29

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 9 2016, 04:13 PM) *
Exactly! And something really important and tricky is to connect the different parts. Find the right way (and chord) to make the transition from one part to the other smooth.

The as i lay dying lesson is really interesting too with regards to this too, as the chords build tension throughout the intro and verse. You only get the release from that progression on the chorus, making it feel like it opens up

--------------------
Current Setup:

Dean VMNT1
Boss GT10

\m/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 12 2016, 05:05 PM
Post #30

Instructor
Group Icon

Good analysis! Notice the tonality and the chords used to generate the different intentions. Create your own variations by changing some chords, changing the key, extending some chords and other ideas that appear. It's the first step to create your own stuff.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Narzsa
post Jul 21 2016, 01:44 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 12 2016, 04:05 PM) *
Good analysis! Notice the tonality and the chords used to generate the different intentions. Create your own variations by changing some chords, changing the key, extending some chords and other ideas that appear. It's the first step to create your own stuff.

Cheers Gab, its really helping. I've started to write a new song and i'm loving it so far. Also its given me plenty of ideas for new songs too biggrin.gif

--------------------
Current Setup:

Dean VMNT1
Boss GT10

\m/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 21 2016, 02:57 PM
Post #32

Instructor
Group Icon

Awesome!! I want to hear it! I'm really happy to read this mate. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Narzsa
post Jul 26 2016, 07:16 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 21 2016, 01:57 PM) *
Awesome!! I want to hear it! I'm really happy to read this mate. smile.gif

Haha, hopefully soon smile.gif our drummer is gonna add some to the recording and then we'll work out what to do for the bridge/breakdown/solo or what ever that part becomes, but so far i'm really happy with it. i'll post it here once that is done

Also been looking more closely at some of my favourite songs and analysing them and how they work which is helping. Little tricks, like in some of your lessons, where for a melodic pre-chorus, using an arpeggio power chord and building licks around it, to keep the progression going smile.gif

This shows up in one of my favourite machine head songs, be still and know, so i might take the idea and run with it for another new song

--------------------
Current Setup:

Dean VMNT1
Boss GT10

\m/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 28 2016, 12:50 AM
Post #34

Instructor
Group Icon

Interesting! I'm very curious to hear your band's songs. Song analysis is a never ending thing that you'll keep on doing all your life if you decide to dedicate to composition. The more you do it, the faster and easier you'll understand what's happening in a song, which are the things that make it different and great.

Keep going!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 10:23 PM