> Irrational Fear Of Terrorists?
klasaine
post Jun 13 2016, 05:38 PM
Post #41

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

Well ain't that timing.

I don't know. I have to take several international flights starting this Thursday. I'll let you know (in regard to my anxiety).

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jun 13 2016, 08:08 PM
Post #42

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 13 2016, 04:38 PM) *
Well ain't that timing.

+1

As an outsider, seems both sides are milking this tragedy hardcore...nothing un-expected but this soon isn't exactly honoring the victims sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jun 13 2016, 08:20 PM
Post #43

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 13 2016, 12:08 PM) *
+1

As an outsider, seems both sides are milking this tragedy hardcore...nothing un-expected but this soon isn't exactly honoring the victims sad.gif

That is the American way my Anatolian friend.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 14 2016, 12:45 AM
Post #44

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Sadly yes. It's just how politics works here in the states. It's become fodder for both sides.
sad.gif

Statistically, even with this awful attack, you are still more likely to die from a self inflicted wound and or kidney disease (thousands of times more likely actually) than a terrorist/nut job attack. Here is a handy chart from the CDC. It's from 2013 as they are still working on 2015 and 2016 but the drift isn't that significant. so...
Attached Image

100 people were shot by this nut job. 50 of them lost their lives. He'd been under investigation by the FBI. He lost his job and got kicked out of school, and then went nuts apparently and bought legal weapons and shot up a gay bar.

He claimed to be a member of ISIS and Hezbollah. This is impossible, since both groups are sworn enemies. I don't think he was really connected to any actual group. I think he just snapped after losing his job and place in school, and decided to unleash his anger on gay people. His ex wife was on the news talking about his instability and abusive behavior. He was a time bomb just waiting to go off. sad.gif

Public places are going to have to get a lot more serious about security. Clubs, Malls, etc. All the "Soft Targets" need metal detectors at every entrance and armed cops at the main door IMHO. sad.gif

So despite this tragedy, the numbers are still the numbers. Even though this event did increase the numbers for terrorist attack, it's still tens of thousands of times less likely than suicide or heart disease. So yeah, the media is creating the "irrational fear" out of this. This event is being blasted on every news channel all day long. It deserves to be heard of course. But the news outlets are milking it like it was the Michael Jackson or Prince story. Which is sorta sickening to watch.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 13 2016, 03:20 PM) *
That is the American way my Anatolian friend.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 14 2016, 12:53 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Jun 14 2016, 02:42 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 4.733

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 13 2016, 05:38 PM) *
Well ain't that timing.

I don't know. I have to take several international flights starting this Thursday. I'll let you know (in regard to my anxiety).

Stay safe Ken, us nut jobs with guns will hold the fort down

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Jun 14 2016, 02:54 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 1.189

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 13 2016, 06:45 PM) *
Sadly yes. It's just how politics works here in the states. It's become fodder for both sides.
sad.gif

Statistically, even with this awful attack, you are still more likely to die from a self inflicted wound and or kidney disease (thousands of times more likely actually) than a terrorist/nut job attack. Here is a handy chart from the CDC. It's from 2013 as they are still working on 2015 and 2016 but the drift isn't that significant. so...

I understand that in the wide scheme of things, there are other dangers a thousand times more likely.

However when you have the simple solution to protect us from deranged American born-citizens, of banning all foreign Muslims from entering the country, well problem solved! Makes sense to his herd.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Jun 14 2016, 03:09 AM
Post #47

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 14 2016, 12:45 AM) *
sad.gif

Attached Image

100 people were shot by this nut job. 50 of them lost their lives. He'd been under investigation by the FBI. He lost his job and got kicked out of school, and then went nuts apparently and bought legal weapons and shot up a gay bar.

He claimed to be a member of ISIS and Hezbollah. This is impossible, since both groups are sworn enemies. I don't think he was really connected to any actual group. I think he just snapped after losing his job and place in school, and decided to unleash his anger on gay people. His ex wife was on the news talking about his instability and abusive behavior. He was a time bomb just waiting to go off. sad.gif

Public places are going to have to get a lot more serious about security. Clubs, Malls, etc. All the "Soft Targets" need metal detectors at every entrance and armed cops at the main door IMHO. sad.gif

So despite this tragedy, the numbers are still the numbers. Even though this event did increase the numbers for terrorist attack, it's still tens of thousands of times less likely than suicide or heart disease. So yeah, the media is creating the "irrational fear" out of this. This event is being blasted on every news channel all day long. It deserves to be heard of course. But the news outlets are milking it like it was the Michael Jackson or Prince story. Which is sorta sickening to watch.

Looks like something has you so wrapped up you can't swallow the fact that this act shattered the hell out of peoples perception in regards to your "numbers"

QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 14 2016, 02:54 AM) *
I understand that in the wide scheme of things, there are other dangers a thousand times more likely.

However when you have the simple solution to protect us from deranged American born-citizens, of banning all foreign Muslims from entering the country, well problem solved! Makes sense to his herd.

This is very inaccurate. Trump only wants the process slowed until they can be vetted . Much different than never letting them in , Which is what mainstream media wants you to believe

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Jun 14 2016, 02:57 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jun 14 2016, 03:41 AM
Post #48

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jun 13 2016, 06:42 PM) *
Stay safe Ken, us nut jobs with guns will hold the fort down

Thanks. I expect no less wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Jun 14 2016, 07:19 AM
Post #49

Learning Guitar Hero

Member No.: 13.839

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 13 2016, 03:45 PM) *
sad.gif

Attached Image

What exactly is so irrational about the media right now, other than standing on the bodies of the dead before they are even cold to call for more gun control?
Did someone call for war and I somehow missed it? And what kind of irrational behavior based on fear have you seen from average everyday folks before or after this attack, other than the folks in Cali protesting the Trump rally? Are there groups of armed men roaming the streets rounding up Muslims or anyone else?

And by the way, your numbers and comparisons don't really mean anything. it is a meaningless little factoid in my view. Sorry, man. Folks may look at it and say yeah, that's interesting, and then just move on because it doesn't change the fact that there are radical Islamic terrorists hell bent on world domination that would love to kill as many Americans (among others) as possible, which is also a fact.
As an individual, sure the chances are low that you or I would be killed by a terrorist attack, varying a bit depending on where you live. But as a country the chances are close to, if not 100% wouldn't you agree? And are we ok with that?

And just because this guy was born here and so far is not directly connected to those terrorist organizations doesn't mean much when he was obviously following the example of such groups and was maybe even further inspired by the preaching's of radical Islam right here in this country, not to mention his father, who was not born here if I am not mistaken, has some questionable views as well.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Jun 14 2016, 07:41 AM

+Quote Post
fkalich
post Jun 14 2016, 07:38 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 1.189

I am going to discuss this with someone who should have at least a slightly more intelligent opinion...

Attached Image

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Jun 14 2016, 07:45 AM
Post #51

Learning Guitar Hero

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 13 2016, 08:38 AM) *
Well ain't that timing.

Good God man, I hope you are on the pre-screened list. Safe travels, Ken.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Jun 14 2016, 08:34 AM
Post #52

Learning Guitar Hero

Just to lighten things up. You may be more likely to be killed in The Dangerous Kitchen than in a terrorist attack. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jun 14 2016, 08:52 AM
Post #53

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 14 2016, 03:54 AM) *

Sorry for popping in out of nowhere -

I get to hear similar opinions here in Sweden as well - ( 'just keep them far away from here and all will be fine' ).

However to me that opinion is so disconnected from reality of today. Although this strategy might (maybe just maybe) have some effect in the short run, I think it is absolutely counterproductive in the long run. I believe exclusion will give you more terrorist acts in the long run, not less.

Recent events have shown that terrorists acts are a global phenomenon, meaning that physical/geographical limitations is becoming less of a problem if you want to commit a terrorist act. And I am afraid we have only seen the beginning of this - as smart terrorists will focus on IT crimes instead, as our modern society's main features are accessible to hackers via digital networks (in theory only - so far).

I think the only way to create a better place is to not only focus on local problems, but start caring about lifes on the other side of the planet as well - if you want them to care about your life.

The human misery and suffering we are seeing around the glode today is a perfect breeding ground for global terrorism - and it 'works' for everybody. This is why we are seeing barbarous terrorists from Norway, Middle east and US (etc). Your religion or color of skin makes absolutely no difference, if you are exposed to enough horrible crimes you will become a horrible criminal. It is very simple!

So again if you care about solving this problem in order to give our children a better future - then start caring about other people's life, not just yours and your neighbours'.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
post Jun 14 2016, 11:24 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 17.265

When Russia invaded Ukraine - the numbers for likelihood of people dyeing from the invasion were still not as high as dying by natural means - but Crimea was still invaded and annexed.

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 14 2016, 03:52 AM) *
However to me that opinion is so disconnected from reality of today. Although this strategy might (maybe just maybe) have some effect in the short run, I think it is absolutely counterproductive in the long run. I believe exclusion will give you more terrorist acts in the long run, not less.

There will always be sympathizers which are considered "home grown" terrorists. But the reason to stop the mass immigration (better termed invasion) is because it's a clash of cultures. The people being allowed into your country as well as other European countries and the U.S. are from a culture that hates western values.

I believe it is imperative to assimilate the migrating people into a given culture before being allowed entrance to live and work. In order to do this you must have a gateway into your country - like Ellis Island was for America earlier last century. Back then people came to the U.S. for opportunity and we didn't have all the social benefits illegal aliens come to take advantage of now. When immigrants got here, they worked until they fulfilled their dream. They didn't just sit on the public's dime.

Now you have mass illegal immigration going on all over the western world and even though many of the people are good natured and truly just wanting to get out of their backwards culture in the hopes of a better life - there are others that are intent on creating the same sort of mayhem that we saw in Orlando. And that is the fear. Small terror cells. Mosques which house small cells of radical individuals.

What we have to be worried about are small cells, sleeper cells, lone gunmen, bonded together by a common ideology - to inflict terror and mass casualties by attacking innocent unsuspecting civilians. They don't have to take down a major industrial center or military complex - they could just hit a night club, or college campus, or recruiting office - all which have happened here.

How much terror would be caused if on some given day a handful of elementary schools across the nation were hit with the same sort of violence?

The only thing that allowing mass immigration allows are the chances of scenarios such as this to become more of a reality.

Top updates

• Mateen traveled to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates — before the FBI interviewed him in 2013

• A former co-worker reported Mateen’s extremism to their employer but no one took action… because Mateen was Muslim

• Last year, the FBI investigated Mateen’s connection to “the first American suicide bomber in Syria”

• Fox report: Mateen was enrolled in online courses from a notorious terrorist recruiter

• UPDATE – Two trips to Saudi Arabia

• Mateen’s wife knew he was planning an attack; told law enforcement one potential target was Disney World

• Local news station reports police will soon arrest an alleged accomplicel

This post has been edited by Spock: Jun 14 2016, 11:13 AM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Jun 14 2016, 11:30 AM
Post #55

QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 14 2016, 11:24 AM) *
When Russia invaded Ukraine - the numbers for likelihood of people dyeing from the invasion were still not as high as dying by natural means - but Crimea was still invaded and annexed.

• Mateen traveled to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates — before the FBI interviewed him in 2013

• A former co-worker reported Mateen’s extremism to their employer but no one took action… because Mateen was Muslim

• Last year, the FBI investigated Mateen’s connection to “the first American suicide bomber in Syria”

• Fox report: Mateen was enrolled in online courses from a notorious terrorist recruiter

• UPDATE – Two trips to Saudi Arabia

• Mateen’s wife knew he was planning an attack; told law enforcement one potential target was Disney World

• Local news station reports police will soon arrest an alleged accomplicel[/size]

sounds like, um , a, political correctness , huh , now were did I hear something in regards to that . Well , can't remember. Peace , Im out

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Jun 14 2016, 11:36 AM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Jun 14 2016, 12:00 PM
Post #56

+Quote Post
Spock
post Jun 14 2016, 01:08 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 17.265

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jun 14 2016, 06:30 AM) *

sounds like, um , a, political correctness , huh , now were did I hear something in regards to that . Well , can't remember. Peace , Im out

Interesting video so far.

This terrorists father was from Afghanistan where I guess they don't consider men having young boys as sexual slaves homosexuality...introducing Bacha Bazi

Attached Image

One last thing about this chart - and then I'll bow out of the debate as well.

Concerning the U.S. invasion of Iraq - Documented civilian deaths from violence was 159,539 - 173,351. Total violent deaths including combatants was 251,000.

This is spread out over a 7 year period 2008 - 2015

Should these numbers be proof of an irrational fear of war?

iraqbodycount.org

This post has been edited by Spock: Jun 14 2016, 01:11 PM

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jun 14 2016, 04:29 PM
Post #58

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jun 13 2016, 11:45 PM) *
Good God man, I hope you are on the pre-screened list. Safe travels, Ken.

Thanks. I'm not on the pre-screened list (Global Entry) but my flight days and times are during 'off times'.

*On a lighter note, my mom and dad are celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary this year and the whole family is doing a week long Alaska cruise.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Jun 14 2016, 05:27 PM
Post #59

QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 14 2016, 07:38 AM) *
I am going to discuss this with someone who should have at least a slightly more intelligent opinion...

Attached Image

just like the left in America . Say they are inclusive and they except all Ideas ( unless it might contradict theirs ) and when one does they resort to classifying them as dumber than a brick wall . Nice

I don't remember anyone on the so called conservative side calling names . So who really is the more accepting group ?

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Jun 14 2016, 05:42 PM
Post #60

Learning Guitar Hero

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 14 2016, 07:29 AM) *
Thanks. I'm not on the pre-screened list (Global Entry) but my flight days and times are during 'off times'.

*On a lighter note, my mom and dad are celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary this year and the whole family is doing a week long Alaska cruise.

Hey that's awesome! Congrats to your folks man! So far it has been a pretty nice summer up here and it looks as if it will continue for some time, so some beautiful sunny days will make that cruise that much more enjoyable.
I think you guys will have a great time.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2017 - 08:37 PM