9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yoncopin's Bootcamp, Earn it Soldier!!!!!!
Todd Simpson
post Aug 20 2017, 10:09 PM
Post #141

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Welcome back to the fight Soldier!!! I must say I'm impressed with the level of skill involved in pulling this one off. This is not an easy bit for many folks. Keeping the pull offs clean is often a stumbling block for many and then the three note per string pattern is another spot that can trip people up as it can be a confusion pattern due to so many repeated notes. Good news is, NOT SO WITH YOU!!! You seemed to have no issues at all and just KILLED IT.

Let's debrief....

1.)RIGHT HAND CONTROL: Without good right hand control, the pull off bit starts getting soaked in extra string noise. Not so with you. Your right hand stays firm and helps kill any unwanted noise so well done there.

2.)FINGER POWER: Being able to do pull offs both forward and backward is the entire point of the first two bits. Good news is you have developed some very good finger power so your pulls are very strong and very even. If the finger power is not there, the pulls sound weak and start to wobble in terms of timing. You killed it!

3.)PRECISION IN TRAVERSE: The third bit is non stop string traverse in a very tight pattern. Miss one note and the entire thing starts to fall to bits. As there are no gaps in the timing, one off note sticks out. Good news here is that you were very precise in your picking and fretting so it worked great smile.gif

This is NOT an easy Mission, but with your obvious time put in, you were able to defeat it with grace. In short you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

**You are only 5 Missions away from your next badge (The Five Strip Chevron) which I've not given out many times in my many years teaching at GMC. It's a thing of rare happening indeed and I'll be stoked to see you reach it smile.gif keep it up!

SARGE

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 19 2017, 08:30 PM) *
Man it's been a while, I've been playing this one over and over but just hadn't had the time to get the camera running and record it. Finally though, here it is, Lesson 45.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Sep 1 2017, 01:49 AM
Post #142

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 7.667

Lesson 46 ready to go Sarge! Also, in lesson 47 there is a 5-12 stretch, that can't be with your finger anchored at 5 right? Your hand has to move?

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Sep 1 2017, 01:56 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 1 2017, 03:15 AM
Post #143

Group Icon

Well Fought Soldier!! These are not easy licks to pull off by any stretch and to make things worse I haven't yet done a demo video for this one to show you guys what I"m looking for so you sorta have to wing it and guess for yourselves. Given all of that, I'm not sure how you managed it at all to be honest. I'm going to prioritize making a vid of me playing with the backing and adjust the tablature a pinch as well so things are a bit more straight forward. But despite all the obstacles, you turned in a very fine Mission Soldier!! This demo track is at the very bottom of the lesson and I just now put it up top as a soundcloud link for preview.

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/guitar-rock-ii-in-the-style-of

Anyhooo!
Let's debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*PRECISION: Playing with precision is the only goal of this entire affair and it's great to see you playing with more and more precision each time you do a mission. The speed will happen by itself if you just stay focused on precision!

*NOISE CONTROL: Despite using some distortion, I don't hear any unwanted string noise. Very well done on that. Adding gain makes any extra string noise show up and requires muting to be on point!

*Precision/Dexterity: You play both licks with precision and dexterity making fine use of the weakest finger, THE PINKY! Developing PINKY POWER is just critical. Great to see you playing with the pinky on lower frets instead of trying to stretch the third finger!

In short you just...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

*ABOUT THE NEXT MISSION: The purpose of this mission is to find out how far you can stretch your fingers in order to find out how far you have to go. The 5/12 fret stretch is possible but you may need to adjust your grip, sit in classical and take your thumb off the neck, play in "Thumbless Mode". All this would probably make more sense with a short video to show you the licks. I'm going to make a video for 47 right after I make one for 46 hopefully on Thurs. Don't worry if you can't reach the stretch as written. Just reach as far as you can, then go back down. DON"T PLAY TO THE POINT OF PAIN, this is NEVER a good plan.

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 31 2017, 08:49 PM) *
Lesson 46 ready to go Sarge! Also, in lesson 47 there is a 5-12 stretch, that can't be with your finger anchored at 5 right? Your hand has to move?

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Sep 2 2017, 04:33 PM
Post #144

Learning Rock Star

Lesson 47 ready to go!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 2 2017, 08:28 PM
Post #145

Group Icon

YOU ARE ON A ROLL SOLDIER!!!!! I've not seen this kind of drive and ferocity in quite some time. It's good to see a player earning the crap out of it!!!! Despite the fact that you are playing "Side Sadle" (on the right leg instead of classical position) you still manage to get an impressive stretch! That position stresses the wrist when making long stretches which is why so many folks use the classical position, as it lets the hand flatten out and allows the fingers to get more reach. This lesson in particular is designed to show the advantages of such an approach.

You have shown an ability to handle curve balls being thrown your way with grace and poise. Here is another chance!!! I want you to go on "SPECIAL FORCES DUTY" and try these bits while sitting in classical position and see if you can't get a bit more stretch out of your fingers.

Also, try to use a different method of multi picking for each and every one of these. DEALERS CHOICE as to which method you use. Singles, doubles, triples, quads.

keep up your killer muting technique and your assassin level hand synch and you will KILL the BLACK OPS version of this Mission.

You are really killing it Soldier!! I want you to keep your momentum while challenging you right to the edge of your ability!!!

Here is a Demo of doing a big stretch, sitting in classical position and playing "Thumbless" which is yet another trick to allow the fingers to stretch more. Employing all of these "tricks" I'm able to make the stretch at speed while doing hammer ons/pull offs.

FIGHT ON!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Sep 2 2017, 11:33 AM) *
Lesson 47 ready to go!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 2 2017, 08:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Sep 4 2017, 02:21 AM
Post #146

Learning Rock Star

Okay, Black ops accepted, here's the video. I played this double picked and thumbless in the classical position. In this position I could stretch a hair more, but not much. I actually tried to stretch my fingers apart with my other hand just to see how far they could physically be apart. I could almost reach the 11th fret, no way it's getting to 12 without a lot more effort.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 6 2017, 04:41 AM
Post #147

Group Icon

NOW YOUR TALKING!!! That's exactly what I was hoping to see Soldier!!!! You were able to get some more distance, just by make a few changes. Well done!!!! Your guitar is better positioned, your hands are better positioned, even your fingers are in better form. Very nice!

Let me break down what the key to "Crazy Stretch" technique with one picture. It's from the video I shared. Check this out.

Attached Image

*Notice how far away my thumb is from the fretboard? When playing thumbless, and especially when going for a long stretch, the thumb should naturally move down toward the floor and the fingers should flatten/straighten out a bit as your left hand rotates under the neck. so that the palm of your hand is almost vertical with the plane of the guitar neck.

*The more you rotate the hand/wrist forward like this, the more you can straighten your fingers and the more you can get out of your reach!!! See how straight my fingers are in that screen grab? I"m almost touching fret 5 and fret 12 at the same time using just this one simple technique. The trick is being able to control it once you get it smile.gif

*Also, notice how I'm fretting with just the very tips of my fingers. Not using very much "meat" at all, just the very tip. This allows you to stretch very wide as you don't have to cover very much of your intended string/fret with your finger! It takes far less of the finger to make a fretted sound on a string than you might think. So finding the bare minimum amount is key for work like this. smile.gif

*Center Strategy: Notice how I mostly keep my hand "centered" between the two goal frets? It all depends on the two "goal notes" you are trying to hit, as to where you center your hand. At that point, you tilt your wrist under and forward, and flatten out the fingers and just use the tips to fret like we talked about. The centering allows you to not have to adjust your hand position each time you want to hit a note. So we put all that together, and you can play crazy stretches at speed!!!

But enough about stretch work, LET'S DEBRIEF!!!

Soldier I want to Congratulate you on going BLACK OPS and making it back alive!!! Some Soldiers just slink off and die in the woods so to speak. Not you. You powered through it and made it happen! Your multi picking is coming along very nicely indeed!

MEDALS OF HONOR
*MULTI PICKING FROM HELL! Despite the challenge of multi picking, you stayed the course and kept going. That's showing grit soldier!!!

*CLEAN EXECUTION: Despite the flurry of picking, I don't hear any random string noise. You keep everything high and tight and well muted!

*ASSASSIN GRADE PRECISION: Speed is a byproduct of precision and your playing in a very precise manner here.

*SYNCH, SYNCH, SYNCH: With multi picking, if you are off in terms of your hand synch, it shows!!!! You can't miss one strike without it being very obvious. Good news is you don't miss strikes!

CASUALTIES OF WAR

On the downside, I did notice that you seemed to "Lag" (fall behind the beat) just slightly during certain parts either from trying to boost the metronome a bit to far, or focusing too intently on the multi picking. Not to worry though, this will fix itself with more time in the BOOTCAMP!!!

So in short, you came back from a very dangerous mission Soldier and just...

LEVELED UP!!!
**(You are only 3 Missions away from the much Vaunted, RARELY given QUINTUPLE CHEVRON BADGE!)

Attached Image

P.S. I took some of this huge post and added it to the lesson page. I hope it helps!
http://bit.ly/shredjourney47

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Sep 3 2017, 09:21 PM) *
Okay, Black ops accepted, here's the video. I played this double picked and thumbless in the classical position. In this position I could stretch a hair more, but not much. I actually tried to stretch my fingers apart with my other hand just to see how far they could physically be apart. I could almost reach the 11th fret, no way it's getting to 12 without a lot more effort.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 6 2017, 05:10 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Sep 21 2017, 07:42 PM
Post #148

Learning Rock Star

Lesson 48 ready!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 22 2017, 08:31 PM
Post #149

Group Icon

I watched this many times and even came back to it a day later to be sure Soldier. You are doing really good work on this and you have the basic techniques down, but watch the video one more time and focus on the last bit of tapping work. Notice that I'm playing it 4 times at each position and that the lick is a looping lick, so you should be able to play it at least two times through, four times at each position, and have it sound smooth. You are really close on this one, it's a LOT to put in to one Mission as it's really four missions stuffed in to one. The hardest part is probably the tapping bit at the end. If you can just record the tapping bit only, looped twice, played four times at each position, you will have earned your next badge Soldier!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Sep 21 2017, 02:42 PM) *
Lesson 48 ready!

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Sep 23 2017, 02:29 AM
Post #150

Learning Rock Star

Yeah, I agree. I kind of mailed it on the tapping bit. I don't have a lot of interest in that technique, so I kinda "skimmed" it. I'll make a better take this weekend.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 22 2017, 03:31 PM) *
I watched this many times and even came back to it a day later to be sure Soldier. You are doing really good work on this and you have the basic techniques down, but watch the video one more time and focus on the last bit of tapping work. Notice that I'm playing it 4 times at each position and that the lick is a looping lick, so you should be able to play it at least two times through, four times at each position, and have it sound smooth. You are really close on this one, it's a LOT to put in to one Mission as it's really four missions stuffed in to one. The hardest part is probably the tapping bit at the end. If you can just record the tapping bit only, looped twice, played four times at each position, you will have earned your next badge Soldier!!!

Sarge

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Sep 24 2017, 04:23 PM
Post #151

Learning Rock Star

Ok, here is a much improved take on the tapping.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 25 2017, 06:13 AM
Post #152

Group Icon

Now you are talking Soldier!!! I knew you could pull this off smile.gif I hear you though, not every technique is going to be one that really skips your rocks as it were. Great to see you power through it! Let's Debrief both bits!

MEDALS OF HONOR
*Bonus points again for that spiff Ibby. Always happy to see her brought in to the Fray!!!!! I may be a pinch Biased. Just a pinch.

-TIMING TIMING TIMINE: All of these licks are built to show you if there are any gaps/problems in your timing. There is a distinct LACK of space between notes, demanding that you get to the next spot, without any kind of gap or hand reset. This is to encourage you to find a 'center strategy" with your right hand which you have done quite well!

-PRECISION PRECISION PRECISION: I have noticed that you have been playing in a very precise manner for quite some time now and it's great to see. Without precision, the rest of it falls apart. Once you have some precision, the rest gets much easier, much quicker.

-PICKING AND OR TAPPING: Whether picking, or tapping, you have very good right/left hand synch and very tight picking. Also, nicely muted through out which is also key. In short, YOU ARE GETTING IT!!!! smile.gif

Also, you are just a couple Missions away from your next Chevron Rank Up!!! I have not handed out many level 51 badges since starting Bootcamp and I'd be stoked to see you sporting one Soldier!!!

Sarge

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Sep 24 2017, 11:23 AM) *
Ok, here is a much improved take on the tapping.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 25 2017, 06:13 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Sep 26 2017, 01:23 AM
Post #153

Learning Rock Star

Oh my goodness, sooo much tapping smile.gif Lesson 49 ready to go!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 26 2017, 09:33 AM
Post #154

Group Icon

You are on a ROLL Soldier!!! You really kicked it in Ass!!! These are not simple tapping/hammering patterns. These are four finger taps with open strings in them, so it's a 5 note tapping sequence. Many folks will do the simple "Eddie Vanhalen" approach and use a 3 note tap in a closed position. Adding the open string in there really "opens" things up IMHO and frees the hand to find new places on the neck to play. smile.gif I hope you were able to gleen some of this from this Mission Soldier!! Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*PUSHING TO TARGET: Despite not being a big fan of Tapping, you attacked this lesson, in all it's complexity and made it your B***H! Score.

*PRECISION REIGNS: With Four Note tapping sequences, especially involving open strings, any gap in playing or any pull / tap that's not quite right sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm guessing you found this out as you worked through this mission. The good news is that by the time came for VIDEO, you were READY!!!! Nailed it.

PULLING TO OPEN: Pulling off to an open string is something that some folks struggle with, if this gave you pause, you sure didn't show it here. You RAWKED through the mission with aggressive style. Double Score!

In short you made short work of it Soldier!!! Keep up your Momentum!! ONWARD!!!! Oh yeah, you just ....

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Sep 25 2017, 08:23 PM) *
Oh my goodness, sooo much tapping smile.gif Lesson 49 ready to go!

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Oct 6 2017, 08:07 PM
Post #155

Learning Rock Star

Lesson 50, ready!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 9 2017, 03:20 AM
Post #156

Group Icon

Soldier I've been struggling with this one as I can see that you've put in the time here! I did replay the last bit several times including the last note. It's not quite as strong as the others, though you do fret it, and you are thumbless while doing it. Let's just DEBRIEF!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*TUFF BY DESIGN: This lesson is designed to make you work your bum off in terms of your LEFT HAND. It forces you to play a complex, reversing, pattern, using only the power in your fingers. NO PICKS ALLOWED once you get past the first bit. I must say I'm impressed with how you handled it soldier. I've seen many folks try this and do nowhere near as good. Score!

*THUMBLESS : One of the hardest things for some folks to get a handle on is playing without their thumb connected to the neck in any way. Some folks can do it, some folks really struggle. Either way it's not natural, especially at first. However, it's a GREAT way to focus on your finger power as you can't use the thumb as a fulcrum! After watching your thumbless bit over and over, it's more than good enough to get you badged up!! Double Score!

*PRECISION: These Missions are all about precision. Especially in a lesson like this where even one mistake will blow the entire thing. There is nowhere to hide when you can't pick, and you can't even use your thumb!! Triple Score!

In short Soldier, you just....

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

*You are one of our HIGHEST RANKING Soldier EVER! Let me repeat that, EVER!!!! Here in BOOTCAMP. Many congrats on that!! It's been a long and winding road and you've earned it!! Keep up your momentum Soldier!! There are some really fun bits ahead that I hope you can incorporate in to your playing smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Oct 6 2017, 03:07 PM) *
Lesson 50, ready!

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Oct 10 2017, 09:18 PM
Post #157

Learning Rock Star

My speed is definitely improving, I kind of had an epiphany the other day about my speed and specifically the picking speed of my right hand. I can't quite explain the revelation, but I think I'm on the verge of a significant step. I've been spending more time with the multipicking, both in this lesson and when jamming backing tracks, trying to switch between 1/2 1/4 1/8 1/16 notes and stay in time. I went ahead and multipicked this lesson too. I think I see how the improvement is going to come even if I can't articulate it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Oct 11 2017, 02:18 PM
Post #158

Learning Rock Star

I'll try to expand on what I said about the right hand picking. I think the revelation was that when practicing and jamming, I just never move my right hand that fast. If I never challenge it to move fast (even on a a single string, not skipping), how would I ever be able to play fast when I want to, even IF my left hand was fast enough? When playing with a backing track the other day, I just tried to multipick everything I'd usually play AND shift the speed by changing the note subdivisions occasionally. I realized two things, my right hand isn't that fast and I couldn't stay in time when shifting speed. It seems so obvious, but it was a real ah-ha! moment where I identified a limiter and now can work to improve it.

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Oct 11 2017, 02:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 11 2017, 05:46 PM
Post #159

Group Icon

Nice!!!! Great to hear you are at a breakthrough point smile.gif It often takes a while to get to that spot, where you can feel a big improvement happening. These Missions are designed to force you to think about your picking hand while also thinking about your fretting hand. So that they can be doing different things but in synch. These patters get wonky as they are very similar. So super congrats on keeping them straight! It's very easy to play the wrong pattern due to the similarity, but you nailed it. Love to see this kind of progress smile.gif Also, your MULTI PICKING is quite strong and forces you to reconsider up or down stroke when traversing.

MEDALS OF HONOR

*PRECISION: An increase in precision is an increase in speed, congrats.

*FOCUS: Never missed a note. SCORE!

*TIMING: Never lagged or pushed. DOUBLE SCORE!

In other words you just ...

LEVELED UP!!!!!

*BTW CONGRATS Soldier, you just went up to the next level Chevron Badge. I have not given many of these out in over half a decade of Bootcamp. Well done. Fight on!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Oct 10 2017, 04:18 PM) *
My speed is definitely improving, I kind of had an epiphany the other day about my speed and specifically the picking speed of my right hand. I can't quite explain the revelation, but I think I'm on the verge of a significant step. I've been spending more time with the multipicking, both in this lesson and when jamming backing tracks, trying to switch between 1/2 1/4 1/8 1/16 notes and stay in time. I went ahead and multipicked this lesson too. I think I see how the improvement is going to come even if I can't articulate it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 16 2017, 08:10 PM
Post #160

Group Icon

Talking to the Boss now, looks like we may be able to work something out so I"ll let you know asap smile.gif

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 18 2017, 06:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 04:25 PM