9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yoncopin's Bootcamp, Earn it Soldier!!!!!!
yoncopin
post Oct 25 2017, 01:58 AM
Post #161

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 7.667

Lesson 52 ready to go, glad to have you back!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 27 2017, 05:17 AM
Post #162

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

WELCOME BACK TO ME!!! smile.gif Great to be here. Almost missed this one in all the Chaos!! Sorry for the lag and I'm glad you are moving on step closer to TOP DAWG in the BOOTCAMP!! Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR
*SYNCH: Great to see you getting so comfy with hand synch. This is something I've seen folks really struggle with and you seem like you are really getting a good handle on it. SCORE!!

*MUTE: Just enough palm mute. Too much, and you squash all the tone, too little, and you get too much ring and notes are not distinct. You hit the "Goldilocks" Zone and have it just right smile.gif DOUBLE SCORE!!!

*TRAVERSE PICKING: Yet another area where folks really struggle. This Mission is built to show you any gaps in your traverse and / or your mute. The good news is I don't see any gaps. You play the entire things in a smooth and deliberate way. TRIPLE SCORE!!

In other words you just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Oct 24 2017, 08:58 PM) *
Lesson 52 ready to go, glad to have you back!

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Nov 5 2017, 10:19 PM
Post #163

Learning Rock Star

Here's Lesson 53 and I'm planning to get in on the Quick Licks this week. I fell out of my practice habits a bit and need to get my routine back.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 6 2017, 03:23 AM
Post #164

Group Icon

WELCOME BACK!!! This is some fine playing Soldier!!! This is NOT an easy bit for most folks and you just KRUSHED it. Keeping the pace nice and even is often a stumbling block as is switching from third finger to pinky in a single beat. Not so with you though. A fine example of dexterity and skill. Let's Debrief!!!! (looking forward to your QUICK LICKS as well!)

MEDALS OF HONOR

*MULTIFINGER POWER: Switching from third finger to pinky finger in less than a beat and keeping pace. Score!!!
*PACE CAR: Keeping a solid pace with all this traverse going on is not always easy. You make it look easy though! Double Score!!
*CLEANLINESS IS NEXT TO GODLINESS: Pick and Played clean as a whistle. Triple Score!!

In short you made short work of it Soldier!! Great to see you fighting in such good form!!! You are more than ready for the next Mission!! And you just....

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Nov 5 2017, 05:19 PM) *
Here's Lesson 53 and I'm planning to get in on the Quick Licks this week. I fell out of my practice habits a bit and need to get my routine back.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Nov 8 2017, 02:32 AM
Post #165

Learning Rock Star

Lesson 54 ready to go Sarge!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 8 2017, 02:47 AM
Post #166

Group Icon

Solder you are DRILLING AND KILLING!! This is what I wanna see!! Love the aggressive style! The flame top on that Ibby is just saaaweeet! let's debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*LIKE A ROCK:
You are developing a really solid right hand technique by keeping your hand planted on the bridge for quick access to muting and rotating your hand to get to different strings. Very good technique Soldier!

*STEADY AS SHE GOES: Your playing is very stead and well paced. Even that last lick which is very hard to keep together toward the end is very tight. Well done on keeping synch with time!

*PICKING LIKE A BOSS: Your picking is very good, even during string traverse. Your hands look like they are getting more comfy with the guitar!

In short you freaking KRUSHED it and your gaining ground on the top spot in Bootcamp! Keep it up!! And you just lll

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Nov 7 2017, 09:32 PM) *
Lesson 54 ready to go Sarge!

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Today, 02:10 AM
Post #167

Learning Rock Star

Here we go, lesson 55 is ready!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Today, 03:17 AM
Post #168

Group Icon

A Black Flamed Maple Ibby Always brightens my day Soldier!!!!! Not to mention, you are RIPPING IT!!!!! Very well fought Soldier. Even the long run is in top form. This method of running scales is very handy indeed. It can be applied to any scale that you want. It makes for great long scale runs in solos. Great to see you have a good handle on it!! LET'S DEBRIEF!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*TENSION FREE: I"ve noticed that you are getting MUCH better at playing with a reduced level on tension on both hands. This is something that is great to see. Playing with too much tension restricts precision, speed, and endurance. It's a great way to stunt one's playing. Very glad to see you are able to play with a light touch.

*PINKY POWER:
Very stoked to see you using your pinky here. I kid you not, I've seen folks try this with the first three fingers. It's quite a lot of work doing this with the first three. It's not a great way to go about it. You have a really good command of the weakest finger and it's great to see.

*MINIMUM WAG: Your picking is nice and tight, as it should be. You don't allow any one pick stroke to go too far from the string. This is a critically important. If you let any one pick strike go to far from the string, you increase the amount of time needed to make it back to the string and it can throw off timing.

In short, you have really shown great progress and your overall technique is vastly improved. Also, you are way ready for the crazy bits that are coming up smile.gif
Oh yeah, and you just...

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Nov 20 2017, 09:10 PM) *
Here we go, lesson 55 is ready!

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Today, 02:31 PM
Post #169

Learning Rock Star

That is my go to guitar now, it sounds great and checks all my boxes for comfort and features. I swapped the pickups for Dimarzio's Mo'Joe and PAF Joe and added locking tuners, but the guitar itself only cost $300. That is nuts to me, so good for the money. I have been playing my RG570 a lot more lately too. I floated the trem again and fixed the return to neutral issue I had by polishing the knife edges and some new posts.

I've been trying to learn this Richie Faulkner solo. I've got the notes for about the first 0:40 but there is a ton of nuance in there. The speed of course, but the trills, whammy tricks and I discovered the unison bends on a trem require bending both strings because otherwise it goes out of tune. I'm a long way from being able to play it like he does, which can be discouraging at times, but for the moment it's got my interest so I'm going to keep plugging away at it.

Tension Free
I can usually play things a bit faster than I post in the video, but I feel like there is some tension/anxiousness there when I do. I think it was klasaine who said it, but he said something like if you can't sit down and play a thing right out of the gate (warmed up of course), then you can't really play it. If I play something for 30 minutes I usually end up speeding up, but I judge my progress by how fast I can effectively play it "cold"

Pinky Power
This lesson was a bit tricky to figure out when to use which finger. When you move up a position was the bit that I had to figure out. When I first practiced it I was re-adjusting before the slide to lead with my third finger, because I'm much more confident that way. Eventually I decided that I wasn't doing myself any favors by avoiding what was clearly a more efficient way to lead with my pinky and after a bit of practice it came more naturally.

Minimum wag
I watched this Ben Higgins video a while back and his point to try to reverse the pick right on the far side of the string really stuck with me. It was another great nugget of wisdom. They say to practice it like you want to play, so I try to do my best. I've kept your precision before speed in mind this whole time. I am definitely improving, but I do wish that speed would come NOW smile.gif

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Today, 02:32 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 04:38 PM