14 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yoncopin's Bootcamp, Earn it Soldier!!!!!!
yoncopin
post Jan 7 2018, 09:48 PM
Post #181

Learning Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 7.667

Yeah I'm sure those guys have been playing forever. Is that level even attainable at this point or do you have to have started that early? Regardless, here's lesson 58.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 10 2018, 04:37 PM
Post #182

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

NICE!!! This is truly impressive Soldier. That one lick in the middle is a HUGE stumbling block for folks as it combines odd picking patterns with odd timing for the fingers. You played it with skill and groove. The first and last bits were spot on as well and that last part is a finger twister to be sure that gets most folks either going up or going down and you went all the way without a hitch. There is a smoothness and a confidence in your playing that I've noticed recently which is great to see. You are relaxed when the camera is rolling and it shows in your playing. You started a pinch stiff which is normal but you've way gotten over it. They get a bit more compllicated as you start pushing toward double digits but you are more than ready. Congrats Soldier you are inches from your next badge up and you just ...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jan 7 2018, 04:48 PM) *
Yeah I'm sure those guys have been playing forever. Is that level even attainable at this point or do you have to have started that early? Regardless, here's lesson 58.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 10 2018, 04:37 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 14 2018, 07:47 AM
Post #183

Group Icon

BTW you are 2 MISSIONS AWAY from being tied for HIGHEST RANKING SOLDIER EVER @ GMC. Yup. That means you are 3 MISSIONS AWAY FROM BEING "THE" HIGHEST RANKING SOLIDER EVER @ GMC. Congrats smile.gif
Sarge

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 10 2018, 11:37 AM) *
NICE!!! This is truly impressive Soldier. That one lick in the middle is a HUGE stumbling block for folks as it combines odd picking patterns with odd timing for the fingers. You played it with skill and groove. The first and last bits were spot on as well and that last part is a finger twister to be sure that gets most folks either going up or going down and you went all the way without a hitch. There is a smoothness and a confidence in your playing that I've noticed recently which is great to see. You are relaxed when the camera is rolling and it shows in your playing. You started a pinch stiff which is normal but you've way gotten over it. They get a bit more compllicated as you start pushing toward double digits but you are more than ready. Congrats Soldier you are inches from your next badge up and you just ...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jan 14 2018, 08:09 PM
Post #184

Learning Tone Seeker

That is very exciting!! It's amazing how much motivation I get from just seeing that badge number climb. It a great motivator smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jan 15 2018, 05:23 PM
Post #185

Learning Tone Seeker

Lesson 59 ready to go Sarge!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 16 2018, 03:14 AM
Post #186

Group Icon

You are making this look easy Soldier!!!!! This is a tricky bit and you nailed it. I want you to push it a bit soldier!!! Take a look at the video for OVERHAND TAPPING that's part of MISSION 59. It's the DETACHED DUTY portion of the Mission but it's also the crazy quasi impossible part and therefore the most fun!!!! Give the over hand tapping bit a shot, you can use any scale/note sequence you like as long as you use at least two fingers on your left hand during the over hand tap. You can use the open strings as well if you like, just like I did or not. You don't have to have a backing, but you can if you want. Bottom line, I just wanna see you stick the landing on an OVER HAND tapping lick!!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jan 15 2018, 12:23 PM) *
Lesson 59 ready to go Sarge!

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jan 17 2018, 03:32 AM
Post #187

Learning Tone Seeker

Ok, here we go. I tried a pulloff lick, but my overhand tapping chops weren't up to it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 17 2018, 08:40 AM
Post #188

Group Icon

NICE ONE SOLDIER!!!!!! You really killed it!!! I knew you could pull this off!!! You made the first part look so easy that I knew you could dig deep and do the crazy bit!!! This is NOT an easy thing to play. The primary bit is hard enough, this bit is just crazy and you pulled it off with grace. Good job on your timing / hand synch / pace / position, overall musicianship! You are displaying really good technique and control lately and you are ready to take the top spot! For now you just...

*You are one Mission away for being tied for TOP DAWG!!!!

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jan 16 2018, 10:32 PM) *
Ok, here we go. I tried a pulloff lick, but my overhand tapping chops weren't up to it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jan 20 2018, 07:37 PM
Post #189

Learning Tone Seeker

Lesson 60 ready to go! I didn't use a click track on this one and instead started slow and sped the licks up. The third bit was really hard to get a strong note when changing strings without other string noise.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 20 2018, 08:20 PM
Post #190

Group Icon

WELL FOUGHT! This mission is flat out difficult. It's intended to force a player to get stronger using fingers only on the left hand. Once you get used to doing these kinds of licks, picking becomes a tone choice, not something that has to be done. Also, you can make long scale runs and pick just now and then. You are using very little gain here which is commendable. These get harder the less gain you use. I really am impressed that you were able to use the pinky on these. Some folks just can't manage the pinky without a pick. If you can get the pinky going without needing a pick, you have made a HUGE leap forward as a player imho. It opens up a wide variety of licks that are not possible otherwise. Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*PINKY POWER: Well done on using the tiny finger without a pick!

*PACE: You have a good sense of timing on these which is impressive given that you can't use the pick!

*PRECISION: Hitting all of these with enough power to make a note without hitting the wrong fret is not easy. Nice!

This is a tough mission indeed. Keep doing these types of drills and apply them to every scale and lick that you know. It will make your left hand stronger and that's the key to a huge library of licks. In other words you just..

LEVELED UP!!!

*Keep it up Soldier! You are making great progress! One step away from Top Dawg!!

Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jan 20 2018, 02:37 PM) *
Lesson 60 ready to go! I didn't use a click track on this one and instead started slow and sped the licks up. The third bit was really hard to get a strong note when changing strings without other string noise.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jan 22 2018, 10:09 PM
Post #191

Learning Tone Seeker

Lesson 61, ready to go!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 22 2018, 11:51 PM
Post #192

Group Icon

WELL DONE!! This mission is all about the STREEEEEETCH and using the pinky to increase one's reach. You are showing a really good command of reach and a good command of PINKY POWER!!! Add something from this mission to your daily workout/warmup routine in order to keep your nice stretch going and also try to move this down to the first/second frets if possible to push your stretch a bit further. Also, try this patter going up and down all the strings. If you can run it top to bottom you are well on your way to being able to play a huge wad of licks that require a big stretch.

One more thing. You just tied for the TOP DAWG!!! We have not had a tie for the top spot in quite some time. You and FZALFA are officially sparring for the top spot smile.gif As they said in Highlander "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!" but for now we have two smile.gif

MUCHO congrats on your achievement here. It's well earned. Very few folks have the STAR OF HONOR on their badge.
Well, one person to be exact, currently, until today. smile.gif In other words you just ...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jan 22 2018, 05:09 PM) *
Lesson 61, ready to go!

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jan 29 2018, 12:08 AM
Post #193

Learning Tone Seeker

Lesson 62, ready to go Sarge! This one was the most challenging lesson than I've had in a while. I really wanted to focus on small movements and good control so my speed isn't that high. I'm going to try and continue practicing it, because my string changing and picking just isn't a fast or controlled as I'd like. I didn't want to get stuck for too long on one lesson, but this technique definitely needs work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 29 2018, 05:11 AM
Post #194

Group Icon

You did well Soldier! This is not an easy bit for sure. This requires massive amounts of string traverse while playing complex arp shapes at the same time. This is one of the "Gateway Missions" that is there to see if you are ready to take the next step. After this mission, you get a six chevron badge. I've only given out one of those in Bootcamp EVER, just a bit ago to FZALFA. You two are trading the top spot back and forth smile.gif Let's debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*MUTE GAME IS STRONG: If you skimp on muting, this Missions sounds like MUSH, well done.

*PICK GAME IS STRONG: Precision picking, hitting only the strings you plan to hit. Not easy with this much traverse.

*ARTICULATION: Each shape is a bit different and at a different position, smoothly done.

In other words, you just ..

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jan 28 2018, 07:08 PM) *
Lesson 62, ready to go Sarge! This one was the most challenging lesson than I've had in a while. I really wanted to focus on small movements and good control so my speed isn't that high. I'm going to try and continue practicing it, because my string changing and picking just isn't a fast or controlled as I'd like. I didn't want to get stuck for too long on one lesson, but this technique definitely needs work.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 29 2018, 05:13 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jan 29 2018, 07:44 PM
Post #195

Learning Tone Seeker

Lesson 63 ready to go Sarge!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jan 31 2018, 07:09 PM
Post #196

Group Icon

That was honestly perfect. I could not have asked for anything more. Your smooth articulation is impressive soldier. SUPER CONGRATS SOLDIER!!!! You really had to dig in to this one. It's not an easy Mission. HUGE STREEEEETCH and multiple parts to get a hold of before you can even attempt a video. This is where things start to get interesting and we separate the Men from the Boys as it were. It's only uphill from here but you are more than ready. Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*SYNCH: Per usual you have really tight right and left hand synch. One slip and it would show up.

*STRETCH: This requires a huge stretch and you nail it!

*PRECISION: If you play this Mission sloppy, it shows up quick. You handled it with a high degree of precision.

In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!! AND ARE RECIEVING THE SECOND 6 CHEVRON BADGE EVER AWARDED @ GMC!!!!

Attached Image

Congratulations!

Sarge
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jan 29 2018, 02:44 PM) *
Lesson 63 ready to go Sarge!

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jan 31 2018, 09:11 PM
Post #197

Learning Tone Seeker

Lesson 64 AND Lesson 65! Because I'm the champ!

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Jan 31 2018, 11:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Feb 2 2018, 05:06 AM
Post #198

Group Icon

Two at once!! That's what I call KILLING it Soldier! Both of these are multi part lessons that usually take folks a while to learn each part. Nope. You nailed em both at once. You missed the top spot by inches as Fzalfa got #66 just in time. You two keep trading the top spot and it's good competition to push you both to be better players! It sure seems to working your playing is improving each time! Let's debrief.

MEDALS OF HONOR

*ZERO NOISE: Any string noise sticks on on single string work as you are only wanting to hear one string. Sympathetic vibrations of the other strings can ring unless muted. Not here well done!

*TIGHT SYNCH: Spot on right and left hand synch.

*CONFIDENCE IS HIGH: You are playing with the confidence of a seasoned pro, I sense no hesitation in your playing at all. Nicely done!

In other words you just.....

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jan 31 2018, 04:11 PM) *
Lesson 64 AND Lesson 65! Because I'm the champ!

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Feb 2 2018, 05:10 AM
Post #199

Learning Tone Seeker

Well I guess it's a good thing that I have lesson 66 ready to go!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Feb 2 2018, 05:58 AM
Post #200

Group Icon

That was quick!!!! Nicely played! It's based off a classical bit so there is a pinch of finger twisting involved but you made it look simple! Lets debrief!..

MEDALS OF HONOR

*FINGER TWISTING: This little diddy is built to turn your fingers in to a knot. You blew through it with ease!

*TRAVERSE: This one is non stop string traverse. Miss one string and it falls apart, you didn't miss any!

*TIME: Smooth as glass and lick clockwork!

In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!

*ALSO YOU ARE AGAIN TIED FOR TOP DOG WITH FZALFA!!

Attached Image

Well Done!
Sarge

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Feb 2 2018, 12:10 AM) *
Well I guess it's a good thing that I have lesson 66 ready to go!

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2018 - 06:31 AM