6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Completed Gmc Collaborations
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 26 2007, 03:29 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Ok, this is where you will find the completed GMC collaborations to date!

Collaboration leaders only, please post the final mix of the collaboration here along with an explanation of the initial brief and any other comments you want to make!

Edit by Maria:

Please make sure to specify the name of the collaboration and number of participants on the top of each new completed collab post. Thank you!

Edit by Kris:

Please include a direct link to the mp3 first, then the comments, finally a link to the original comment thread as well (so that people who want to see the member comments easily can find them).

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jul 31 2007, 03:27 AM
Instructor

[attachment=1128:attachment]

Ionian (Nick325)
You stayed in the right key for the most part, but a few notes seem a little off... I like some of your ideas but I would try to organize them a little better. My advice would be to play the backing track without your guitar and sing a melody over it. It doden't have to be very complicated but if you do that next time you work on creating a lead you will come up with realy good melodic ideas. Great first collab though! Good job!

Dorian (Ezravdb)

I really like the way you constructed your lead. You started with a nice melodic arpeggio and slowly moved towards more technical licks. Overall your lead has a beggining, middle technical section, and closing. I would continue developing your technique by taking all the licks you played very slow to focus on a clean picking. Doing that will bring you to a much higher level fast. Great job!

Phrygian (Stratman58)

Good job on following the notes of the scale! You picked a mode that isn't very easy to play over, but you managed to capture the "colour" of that mode very well. My suggestion for next time would be to put the guitar down for a minute and just sing over the backing track.. Then reproduce what you sang on your guitar. I think you'll come up with very cool ideas that way. Good job!

Lydian (Andrew)

Excellent job on the lydian part. Your lead is very melodic and is well focused on the important augmented 4th from the Lydian mode...
Great job!

Mixolydian (Tank)

Very good construction of your lead. I think your strength is in expression, I hear a very pleasant and controled vibrato on the longer notes. The faster parts are cool too. I would work on the flahy parts. Break them down to smaller parts and practice and analyze all the movements and eliminate all unnecessary noises... Very good job!

Aeolian (Jeff)

Very nice melodic lead. I love your ideas and how you mixed nice melodies with interesting technical ideas like the sweep you did... I think you need mostly to work on improving your rythm. It's good, but you will gain a lot by working on sequences with metronome.. I am taking that advice for myself as well.. :-) Good job!

Locrian (MickeyM)

You did a really great job with the locrian! That mode is not very comfortable to play with because of all the tension it has.. But you did great! Only thing is that I would focus moire on resolvinbg all your ideas by going back and staying a little longer on the root of the scale. Good job!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  collab_modes.mp3 ( 2.08MB ) Number of downloads: 858

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Aug 22 2007, 05:38 AM
Instructor
Lydian collaboration

I finally finished going through your leads! I am very pleased with the result! You guys did a great job.
This second collab on GMC is particulary interesting as it brought players from many different levels together.

I hope the comments will be insightful to you. Keep in mind that as I am commenting your leads, I am humbled by all the hard work you did. These comments are meant to be encouraging to you and give you ideas as to how to plan your next practice session.

Concerning the final mix, don't expect something beautiful. My purpose was only to give all the oportunity to hear what everyone did and read the comments as you hear it.
Thanks again for your participation and I'm sure I'll see you soon on GMC!

A Lydian: MickeyM

Nice melodic touch! I really like the ideas you exposed in this one. The choice of notes is good. Here is one suggestion that came to mind when I listened to your lead. On the longer notes that you play, I think if you add some vibrato those notes will ring a lot more and take a whole new meaning. I'
m talking about hand vibrato, not whammy bar vibrato... Work on those lomg notes and I think you will gain a lot from that. Listen to Steve Vai's vibrato style. He's doing more of a circular movement on each notes. Excellent job though!

B Lydian: Exorcyze

I love the first arpeggio type idea you started your lead with. It accentuates really well the Lydian key. I think your lead is well constructed and seems that you planed ahead what you were going to play. That's good! One think that I would recommend to improve your leads is to work on your bends. They could be a little more in tune. It's a boring and fastiduous thing to work on, but it will do wonders for your leads. Just play a note anywhere on the neck, them go a whole step lower (2 frets) and bend that note until you reach the original starting note. Then do that with a half-step. Play a note and bend the note that is a half-step lower until you reach the original note. Practice that constistantly all over the neck. I'm sure you'll improve in no time. Good job!

C# Lydian: Muris

Muris, you really need to work on your leads. First of all your technique needs major improvement. What I would recommend is going back to the basics. Start by hitting the first fret on the first string until you get a nice clean sound. Once you hear a nice sound, do the same thing with the second fret on the first string. Your fingers might hurt at first, but after a while you will gain strength and your fingers won't hurt anymore... Don't get discouraged!
Haha! I'm sorry, couldn't resist to the temptation of joking. The truth is that your lead blew me away. Muris, you totally nailed this one. I absolutely love it and only have good things to say about what you did. Awesome melody, great technique. You're an inspiration to me. :-)

D# Lydian: SDMF75

SDMF, I enjoyed your melodic sense here. Simple melody but nicely done. I like the rythm repetition feel you gave to your lead. Repetition is always good. My suggestion for you in this type of lead would be to add some fluidity to your technique. I think working on some legato would be beneficial to you. When I listen to your lead, especially the beggining, I hear it in legato. It will give a smoother sound to your leads when playing melodic like you are on this one. Great job on the melody and respecting the notes of the scale!

F Lydian: Atomix1337

Nice technical lead! I like the way you constructed this one. You focused more on the technical part but it's well done and your different ideas link to each other pretty well. My recomendation to yuou would be to start smoothing all your technique. It's a step that all guitar players need to do at some point and I think you reached that point. From what I can hear you have a good technique, now take all that and start working on the small details and nuances. These things are not major, they are small details. But going through the process of eliminating those tiny things will make you a great player. Steve Vai is a good example of someone who spent time on these little details. John Pettrucci is another one.
There are some guitarists who would be so much better if they took the time to do that process. Kirk Hammet for example is a good player, but still has some tiny details to work on... I hope I'm not offending anyone with these examples, just want to make you understand what I mean. :-) You did a great job though, keep it up!

G Lydian: Chast

Chast, I'm so glad you participated in this collab! You did an excellent job following the scale and using it to create interesting melodic ideas. I'm not worried about your technique at all as the technical part of the instrument is something anyone can develop with time. But your sense of melody is what stroke me. Keep practicing and developing your technique without losing your sense of melody and you'll do very good on the instrument I'm sure! I think you should work a little more on being more precise in your rythm. Just work with a metronome on small rythm patterns. Concentrate on precision and you'll do great!

A Lydian: Ezravdb

Ezravdb, you did a great job! Very nice mix of melodic ideas and technical interesting stuff. My favourite part is the sweeped arpeggio. Great way to give your lead a new direction. The opening lick is slightly behind the time. Just needs a bit more precision I think. Nothing major and you should be able to fix that in no time. Just like for Atomix, I think thatif you focus on the little details such as rythm, remove all unwanted sounds, you'll become even more of a great guitarist. Keep it up, you're doing really good!

B Lydian: Alimo

Good job on using the important notes of that scale. Some ideas are cool, but I think you should vary a little bit your ideas.. Your lead is somewhat linear and could gain from more developement. It doesn't have to be more technical. Maybe explore some arpeggio ideas. A good way to do that is to play the Lydian scale skipping a note each time. In other words you would play the 1st note, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and so forth of the scale. That will help you I think to hear the mode differently and will help you expand your ideas. Good job!

C# Lydian: Leadbreak

I love the melody you developped here. The opening of your lead is refreshing with that little repetitive motif. It brings the listener in right away... I also love the fact that you didn't use much technical stuff and kept the little shred stuff at the very end. You developed a nice melody and then later on gave it a little boost at the end. My advice to you would be to work a bit more on rythm placement. Nothing major, but fixing your precision will definitally make a big difference, from very good to excellent. :-) Great job!

D# Lydian: Nick325

You have some very interesting melodic ideas. I love the one you started to develop on the 5th bar. By listening to what you did I feel that you have a lot of things to say on the instruments, lots of ideas. My advice will be on a technical aspect, since you are already on the good track musically. I think that you should work on vibratos and details on how to "dress" a note. There are several ways to dress a note. There are many actually and there are many to be discovered I think. Bends, tril;ls, vibrato are the most comon. These are the techniques that I would focus on along with rythm placement.

F Lydian: Andrew

Very cool melodic rock lead! I really like what you developped there. Just as for Leadbreak, you focused on creating an interesting melody first and then went into the technical stuff. My advice will be technical. Your technique is already very good and solid, but needs little clean ups. The sweep part (is that sweep you did?) is a little "confusing" to the ear but can be easily fixed buy working slowly and retraining your fingures to play it without the unwanted sounds.Same for the last part of the alternate picking lick. But oince again, these are minor tweaks. The final impression I had when listening was "wow, this guy knows what he's doing!". :-)

G Lydian: Owen

Owen, I think you have a very cool rythm thing going on. It's not fast, neither flashy, but if considering the rythm alone, I think it works great here. A few things to fix, the first couple bars are out of the key... I'm not sure what key it is though.. But then you picked up the right notes and right away it started to sound better. :-) My advice would be to work on the same backing track (you can pick a different key if you want) and try to create small musical sentences with just a few notes based on the Lydian mode. Then try to find the notes that work well bended and bend one note of the scale making sure that it's in pitch with the next note of the scale. It's a good begining though! Keep it up!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Lydian.mp3 ( 3.57MB ) Number of downloads: 793

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 27 2007, 08:45 AM
Moderation Policy Director
GMC Pentatonic Rock Collaboration

After a delay I have finally mixed this - and let me say, everyone has made an excellent contribution, the end result speaks for itself !

I wasn't entirely truthful when I told you what was going on on this backing track - in fact it wasn't just me at the Frank Lapola band rehearsal, our very own MickeM was going through JFK on business, and was able to make the rehearsal too - he recorded his lead live along with the band - thats him tuning up at the beginning smile.gif

As is customary I will give you all my feedback on your efforts, feel free to argue or ignore. To make it a little different I'll also give you all mixing notes and my observations on your tone and recording technique so we can all learn something extra.

So, the brief was a pentatonic rock solo - but we were free and easy about that.

So, kicking us off was:

MickeM

Very competent solo - nothing too flashy, but some great articulation tone and vibrato, it was well worth dusting off the Les Paul. Bang on in terms of the brief, a powerful well but together solo, played well within your abilities.

Tone was excellent - did you mic up an amp for this? To mix this I just threw it in, no eq or other adjustments necessary. The tone cuts very well through the mix and didn't need any help, apart from a little reverb to widen it a little and sit it in the mix better.

Auden

A very different style of solo here. Definate shred elements going on, the speed picking runs fit well, and I particularly liked the wailing bends - outside the pentatonic but extremely effective. The last 4 bars seemed to be a little off the scale, and the ending note definately was, making the ending a little weak, but overall an great effort.

Your tone had a little high end fizz to it - I cut that out with a steep high ciut filter above 3khz, which tidied it up nicely and brought out more of the character of the guitar. Finally I added some reverb.

You seem to have a lot of hum on your setup which I couldn't filter out - not sure why that is but its definately worth fixing that if you want to do more recording.

Owen

A very solid pentatonic solo, all notes on scale with the exception of the last note. Like MickeM you did a good job of playing within your abilities which I prefer to see over someone pushing the limits and sounding strained (we've all done it - me included!)

Your guitar seems to have a heavy chorus effect on it or similar. This has the effect of making it sound like the tuning is drifting in and out. I know it isn't your pitching but it still sounds like you aren't hitting the notes right. I would suggest for future lead you dispense with this (its fine for work though).

Youe solo need some fairly mild EQ to make it sit in the mix and to tame the pitch shift a little. I added a 4.5db boost at 400hz to give it a little more body, 6db cuts centered around 1400 and 7000 to tame some of the pitch shifting, and take some of the top end off, since it allready was cutting through well. Finally a little reverb helped sit it into the mix.

Exorcyze

Another great performance, a nice rythmic pentatonic riff that really grooved along with the backing. A couple of triplet passages really added to the variety - well played , with a nice harmonic at the end smile.gif

Your tone was extremely fizzy and didn't sit well in the mix until I drastically cut the high end above 4500hz. When I did this I discovered a pretty pleasant tone. After the cut it sounded a little lacking in brightness, but it was better than the fizzing. Some reverb added as well.

Jeff

An extremely good performance Jeff - a very classic rock/blues kind of vibe to your solo. Well played, extremely expressive, with an interesting climax, excellent job!

Your tone as I have noticed before is really excellent - I am guessing you miked up an amp to get this - if it is effects I want to know what they are! The only slight criticism I have is that assuming you did mig up an amp, there is a lot of the room coming through which makes it a little harder to mix. In this case, not a problem but something to bear in mind. I made some very minor tweaks to tame a little of the rooms boxiness, but barely touched it, and added a little reverb.

And finally Muris ...

Muris

I'm glad to see that you took Daves advice from the last collaboration and went back to basics. Its clear to see that you have made a lot of progress playing individual notes, you now need to concentrate on stringing them together to make a coherent solo, rather than playing random notes. I suggest you learn the minor pentatonic scale as a first step, starting woth the first box, and using a metronome to help you with your timing at about 30bpm.

Who am I kidding ? Muris aced it again smile.gif That was amazing man - quirky, expressive, perfectly timed, technically impressive, about as far from Pentatonic rock as you can get, yet every note was bang on and perfect.

I wish I could give you some advice with your tone, but annoyingly, your tone was perfect too. Undefinable, it sounds almost like a synth in part because the playing is so amazingly clean. In addition, the delay you have on there sufficiently widened the sound so no reverb was necessary, avoiding addition of muddiness.

Not only can you play, you can also record too smile.gif

Thats it, I hope you guys enjoyed this as much as I did smile.gif

Regards,

Andrew

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Aug 27 2007, 08:52 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  GMC_Collaboration_The_Work_Song.mp3 ( 5.73MB ) Number of downloads: 1396

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 8 2007, 07:41 PM
Instructor
Blues Collaboration

Andrew Cockburn

First thing I noticed here is awesome vibrato!!
Tone fits great as well,a bit overdriven and still smells like sort of clean.
Great phrasing around minor pentatonic which is more than enough to get smooth blues feel.
Thumbs up Andrew!! smile.gif

Leedbreak

What we have here...really interesting playing over blues track.
Still,music has no boundaries and Jason did it in his own way!
My only advice is to listen to blues a bit more,
just to get right impression from it.
Add few bends,do more about pentatonic and you'll have it for sure!!
Well done and I'm glad you did it Jason!! smile.gif

Slammer

This was almost a surprise for me!!
I said almost cause I knew Slammer prefers blues a lot.
Total hit,phrasing,coolness,feel,tone!
Correct me if I'm wrong but Slam nailed this. biggrin.gif

MickeM

First pattern with thrill is way too great!
Smart playing indeed plus pointing at Cmin when C 7 is in backing track. biggrin.gif
That Eb note gives a totally new dimension to whole track!!
Good job MickeM!

JVM

Yeah,you REALLY had troubles with recording gear...
But you still played it as a real blueser!!!
What I like here the most is pure comfort,no rush at all...
I see and old man with cigar and Gibson in his hands. wink.gif
You got me here JVM!

Nick325

This is a wild rhythmic ride here!
Some very cool lick inside with lovely staccato notes!
I would just add more measure and playing on beat,
rest of it is fully cool and bluesy.
Good one Nick smile.gif

SDMF

Awesome tone and feel,phrasing is on the spot.
Maybe a bit of lacking in groove,that's all I was able to find here. wink.gif
Well done SDMF!!

Shredmandan

No TV this time. biggrin.gif
Dan,you got this one way too great,
I have no idea why you keep saying that you're into metal that much!!
Great tone,moving,chops...
Bluesmandan!

Attached File  GMC_Blues_Collab_Final_Mix.mp3 ( 7.57MB ) Number of downloads: 1075

This post has been edited by muris: Sep 8 2007, 08:00 PM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 13 2007, 05:16 AM
GMC Founder
"You Ready?" song collaboration led by Marcus Lavendell.

Original topic here.

"You Ready?" video collaboration led by Kristofer Dahl

Original topic here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Nov 13 2007, 08:39 AM
GMC:er
Since I did not have quite enough for a complete song, here is what I did. I used my solos from the song posted in the members’ only page to fill in some areas. This might have made it a tad long but it needed some bridges. I do thank everyone for your efforts and want to hear your comments as well.

(AudunESP - 0:07 – 0:27) Not a bad intro at all, brings us right into the song. Bends just needed a little more to get them more in tune. I used the end of your solo twice. You did a great job.

(leedbreak 0:28 – 0:48)

(Jeff - 0:48. – 1:47) Your solo was just fun. It worked on top of 3 different rhythms. It had a great feel and really fit into the song in every way it could. Very ironic how you played as if you wanted 3 different backings, so I gave them to you. Great job

(Andrew – 1:50 – 2.48) You have already been accused of have a unique sound so we all know that. But you did a wonderful job using your sound and your feel. I enjoyed yours very much with it’s comfortably numb sound. Might have needed a tad more notes. Excellent work!

(Chast 2.48 – 3:07) Sounds a tad off key but in a way the gives it lots of character and style. I would have liked to hear more from your style. Nice work

(Exorcyze –3:07 - 4:04 ) This one stood out most to me. A whole song in itself. The notes take the listener on a short journey. Also taking the feel to different moods several times. Very Nice Exorcyze.

(Hemloc – 4:04 – 5.02 ) Great sound and I really liked the effects. Might should have held out a little on the quiet spots. But as I listen again it is suspenseful as to what may come next. That in itself makes for a very nice solo.

Leedbreak – (5:02 – end)

GMC Collaboration Entitled "About time"

Thanks everyone [attachment=1826:attachment]

This post has been edited by leedbreak: Nov 13 2007, 09:40 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  About_Time.mp3 ( 2.6MB ) Number of downloads: 606

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 26 2007, 07:58 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
GMC METAL COLLABORATION

Well, this has been great fun really enjoyed putting this together, so to everyone, a great big thanks for taking part.

Ok, first off a huge excellent bloomin great big NICE ONE M8! (anyone tell I`m from Kent?? ) goes to Alex for providing us with an fantastic backing track to jam over, kinda from there I`ve hijacked the whole project sorry m8!

I had quite a few ideas for this one, a few unfortunatly just didnt really work so I ditched them and ended up with this, I added a few bits just to break it up from a huge long solo Hope this is all ok for everyone.

I see from previous collabs that it is the norm to make comments on everyones performances, I will of course do that individually on each solo but first off want to say that it was really interesting hearing everyones different takes on one backing, so many different ideas, was great and of course, I think that everyone that took part played to the best of their abilities (with the exception of Muris of course only joking m8 )

(I will add also that I`ll not comment on individuals tone/recorded sound, tone is a personal thing and what one may like others may not etc and the recordings on all of them was pretty good so no grumbles there )

ok here goes:

Leedbreak (21sec - 49sec)

Liked your idea for this m8, especially liked the little fiddly bit right in the middle, fitted really nice with the backing, the last part sounded a little rushed imo and I think you should "relax" a little more, to me your playing sounds a little tense and lacks a bit of expression, but I think you spent some time working out a set solo for this and for that I admire you, nice one!

Smells (57sec - 1m25sec)

I could make a huge long list to critisise myself on this , I`ll let you lot decide
(Fluffed a tapped note in the tapping part )

Alex Lewis (1m33sec - 2m02sec)

Really liked this alot m8! loved the twin part at the end, it was your backing in the first place so it was bound to fit in nice my only comment was the timing at the start of the solo was a little out, other that that, real nice m8

Muris (2m03sec - 2m36sec)

Well .... where to begin???? apart from starting in a different place to everyone else (let you off ) I think we can safely say that this was pretty much gob smacking stuff!! It put a smile on my face from ear to ear and still does everytime I listen to it Thank you m8 for taking part, you are truly an awesome (and for me a very inspiring) guitarist.

KRmachine (2m44secs - 3min12sec)

Sorry m8, someone had to come after Muris, it wasnt planned I just did them as they where posted
Honestly tho m8, I thought this was probably the most melodic out of the lot Speed aint everything, I think what you did here was really nice, the little sweeps at the end where a nice finishing touch, very nice, just more practice m8 and your there, well done!

Vision (3min20sec - 3min - 48sec)

Very nice indeed m8, you`ve got great technique and nice expression on the notes, my only comment for you would be the commitment at the start of each part, its almost as if you build yourself up to play the licks before you break right into them, when you do tho m8, man they sound nice I hope that made sense nice job tho m8, very good indeed!

Owen (3min55sec - 4min23sec)

Ok, finally Owen nice start into your solo m8, from there it seemed you got a little lost bringing it back in from time to time tho, I think you had an idea where you wanted to go with it but didn t seem to quite make it work for you, I dont know how long you`ve been playing but soloing comes from jamming with others and working in things you`ve learned and picked up, keep practising m8, you`ll get there

ok, so thats it, its all over sad.gif

Hopefully I havent offended anyone, just tried to be constuctive to the way my ears heard it
Again I want to thank everyone for their efforts, I`ve really enjoyed doing this a lot, thank you

Enjoy, all the best & keep rockin!! biggrin.gif
Chris

GMC METAL COLLABORATION

Attached File  Metal_Collab_Final.mp3 ( 4.57MB ) Number of downloads: 970

This post has been edited by Smells: Nov 26 2007, 08:01 PM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Dec 1 2007, 03:46 PM
Instructor
in the style of David Gilmour collab

It's now time to give you my thoughts on your takes. First of all I'd like to thank all of you for your participation. Many people signed up and the results were beyond my expectations! I love the fact that you all put in your recordings your own originality.
Each ones of the following leads are different and all are interesting. I think we can all learn from each other in here, so sit back, listen to the finished version and read the following comments.
I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did! Excellent job everyone!

Andrew Cockburn
Andrew, I love how you made your lead breathe. The melodic feel to it makes the whole lead very smooth to the ear and build up very nicely, saving the mopre technical stuff to the end. You gave us a great lesson in building a lead, exposing the mood first and adding an interesting technical touch at the end.

Muris
Muris, your lead is extremely touching! Your sense of melodic ideas is superb here and is very inspiring! I love the nuances you are putting in your leads, your left hand vibrato is what makes this sound so great! All your licks are very useable in many contexts and it's wonderful to be able to use your ideas in our own improvs. Great job!

coffeeman
Coffeeman, I love the rythm aspect of your lead. It's very well played and your melodic ideas are nicely built. It has some kind of melancolic, nonchalent mood that works extremely well here! You did great!

Alex Lewis
Alex, I was surprised by the quality of your take. The choice of sound works really well here. I particularaly love the way tyou started this one. Your entry to the lead makes your take so good! I think we can all learn that from your lead, the first few notes are so important in a lead, these are usually the notes that the listener will remember once the solo is over. Very nicely done!

Jean-Mi
Very nicely done on this! I like the use of double stops you used in the first section. The second part is great, I absolutely love your first lick when you switch to distortion. It totally sets the mood for something great. You put a lot of feeling in that second part, very well done my friend. :-)

Leadbreak
Leadbreack, I really like the use of effects here. Very interesting ideas here. You are not playing a very conventional lead as it's more built on effects and rythm tricks, but it works extremely well! Your different touch is inspiring and I'm sure you will give us a lot of cool ideas to develop. Good job!

JVM
JVM, your lead breathes and that's great! Your development is great and I love your melodic ideas. They sound somewhat different thamn what the others sound like, but in a good way! It seems to me that you focused more on the melodies exposed, I like that! Very nice second part too, still melodic but the bends you use give your lead a feel that works very well. Keep it up!

Smells
Smells, your technique is getting better and better! I love the articulations of some of your licks. You have a nice rythm feel that suits your style very well. I also want to congratulate you on the precision of your bends in the second part. Your pitch is very good, excellent take!

Exorcyze
Exorcyze, your use and development on the pentatonic scales is very well thought. I like the use of sequences mixed with more melodic ideas. I really enjoy the very last part of your lead, very interesting to me. One bend is a little flat on the second part, but maybe that was something you wanted to doi on purpose? Great job though, I enjoyed your lead a lot!

Chast
Chast, you are improving so much! Your effort are really paying off. I liked your trill idea at the end of the first part. Very good! A few bends are a little out of place, but overall your lead is well constructed. You are really doing a great job and once again, I can hear that you are improving a lot! Keep it up my friend!

Slammer
Slammer, the licks you used are very bluesy and technical at the same time. You did a good job using the important notes of the pentatonic. One little thiong that I can think of would be to add more silences between your ideas, that way each time you play, your licks will sound even more powerful to the ears of the listener. Great job though! Keep up the great work!

VisiOn
VisiOn, I am highly impressed by your bends. They are very expressive and superbly in tune! Your melodic sense is evident and well exposed here. Your lead is a nice lesson for all of us, everything is there. Technique, feeling, precision, very well done!

Eddiecat
Eddiecat, some of your ideas totally stick out! Some of the lick you are playing are totally new to me and I get excited hearing them! I love the fact that you developped some of the ideas exposed. In other words, you didn't just play a lick and leave it as is, you repeated it and developped it. I'm thinking about the first lick of the second part for example. Your lead is worth studying! Great job!

Bodo
Bodo, you did a fantastic job and your lead is totally in the mood here. Your bluesy licks are inspiring to me. You are full of feeling and have a good capacity to blend melodic ideas with bluesy licks. When I listen to your lead, it seams that you have a gift of taking licks that have been heard a thousand times and making them sound new. Excellent!

Tjchep
Tjchep, I am impressed! The way you "dig" into every notes is impressive! Your left hand vibrato is remarquable and is worth studying. Your vibrato has a Malmsteen feel to it. You did an amazing job on this track!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Finished.mp3 ( 11.89MB ) Number of downloads: 945

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 12 2008, 02:22 PM
Instructor
Ouch,this took lot more than I expected but anyhow,
here it is,lots of great takes and playing!! smile.gif

Must say that colorful of this piece actually shows how many ranges we have here,
despite of "main" shred occupation worldwide here are some cool and chill takes,
and that really makes me proud,being both instructor and part of GMC community!! biggrin.gif

So here we go cool.gif

In Style Of You...Final Mix

Owen:
High Gain approach,which I didn't expect from our Owen,must say!
Perhaps use of more bending will expand your vocabulary,
steady playing generally,good job Owen!!

Visi0n:

Great start,missing first beat,very smooth!!
Well coordinated neo-classical style
with lots of cool licks,shredding etc,
thumbs up!!

Exorcyze:
First of all,thanks for putting riff guitars here,it gives totally new sound to collab!
Nice and mellow melody,heavy and mainstream at the same time.
Think I heard few odd power chords in last section
which isn't of great matter at all,
great take!!

Hemlok:
Very strange and cool atmosphere here,
lots of great bends,funny and awesome!!
Totally individual and unique way of phrasing,
Hemlok,you've passed highly rated!

Smells:
Rocking take,I didn't expect nothing less here!!
Fine technique and phrasing,
nice tap at the last few bars,well done mate!!

Tony:
What to say here...
Sorry for the bad recording quality,as you said,
current equipment you had at the moment wasn't the greatest
but still you came up with something that brakes our borders here.
Simply said...Tony cool.gif

Robin:

Blues-rock grooving !!
Great tone tho,power playing Robin,
+ A from me!!

Juan M. Valero:
No need to talk too much,
my fellow instructor nailed it perfectly,
love it Juan!!

Bodo:
Great slides at the starts,
lots of major picking,legato,
melting pot of cool licks,
bravo majstore!!

Eddiecat:
Looks like Mixolydian lessons have made fine impact of you Eddie,
phrasing here is way too great!!!
Glad you joined collab,this is best example of
how great GMC is,
cause Eddie will say "I'm a beginner".
Way to go,top notch!!

JVM:
Nice moves in 6th intervals AND GREAT tremolo part,
you really made me laugh with it,
how cool that was!!!
Thanks for your efforts JVM,fine Job!

Kristofer Dahl:
Seems like you enjoyed this baking a lot Kris!
Great use of #4,master piece technique wise,
phrasing on high level,
founder of GMC,Kristofer Dahl!!

Slammer:
It's time for another unexpected high-gain take,
this time it's our mate Slammer.
Bunch of cool rhythmic part playing in 3ths and 4ths,
some shredding as well,
great take from a bluesman!!

Leedbreak:
Ode to Metal!!
Jason put a simple riffing stuff at the beginning,
blasting whole backing track!!
And then powerful double bends and riffing,
absolutely well planed!!

David C. Bond:
David shows us great way of using "interventions"
between main chops,whammy tricks,tapping,great idea!
Plus he follows bass guitar in some sections,
adds few sweeps,well done David!!

Illuha:
Great main pattern here,groovy and well balanced.
Also cool shift from Minor to Phrygian Dominant world.
Good take Illuha!!

Coffeeman:
This is take with no rush.
And that "few secs pause" really got me unready,cool idea man!!
Nice tone btw,good one.
Shredding is not the point here,
and I liked it a lot,must say!

Andrew Cockburn:
Andrew combines nice jamming and nasty whammy tricks,
looks like my fellow instructor really enjoy his Jem. wink.gif
Cool tone tho,not sure if that's auto-wah or some sort of phaser
but it fits to your playing so great Andrew,top score!!

Fretdancer69:
Another "wahy" tone,nice pentatonic run!!
Maybe a bit out of key in last section but no big deal,
appreciated efforts,thumbs up!!

Botoxfox:
Cool phrasing,bends,taps,mix of many things in small time period indeed.
Great tone too,nice pick for this kind of playing,
lots of drive but clean and easy to follow!!
Good take,glad you've participated!!

Once more thanks to everybody,
this was a great experience for me and hope for you as well! smile.gif

Muris

In Style Of You...Final Mix

This post has been edited by Muris: Jan 12 2008, 04:55 PM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 23 2008, 05:08 PM
Instructor
Modulation fusion collab

A few weeks ago, I invited ten of you to participate in a modulation improvisation session. Here is the result!
I am very pleased with all the takes, they are all very different and unique, but all contain something wonderful. You guys rock, thanks so much for your participation and keep up the excellent work!

Here is the final mix, listen to it and read the comments. Enjoy!

Attached File  Modulation_finished.mp3 ( 12.09MB ) Number of downloads: 716

Andrew
Great job and awesome tone man! Your amp sounds fantastic! Your ideas were melodic and worked very well on the track. I really like how you started each new key, very well done! One suggestion to work on would be maybe to try to start an idea in one key and finish it in the other. Keep up the excellent work!

Bodo
You really set up a unique mood in this one. Crazy shred there man. I really love the different ideas exposed. I would recommend working a bit on rythm placement, but that's just to be very picky. Overall you did a fantastic job. I particulary like what you did on the 3rd key. it gives your lead a second breath. Very good!

Coffeeman
Man, you are getting better and better through these collabs. You did a great job following all the chabges and developed some very cool improvisation ideas. I love what you did between the 3rd and 4th key, starting an idea in obne key and continuing it in the next one. You totally got the idea! Awesome job!

Ezravdb
Very bluesy take there my friend. At first I was a little thrown off with the major 3rd you used on the opening key, but then got used to it and like it a lot. I love how you built your lead from soft to high gain. One of my favourite parts is on the 3rd key change. At the end you started a very very cool rythm motif well worth exploring. Great job!

FatbOt
Very good job here, great demonstration of good technique and musicianship. I really appreciate your bends, you have something unique when you play them that is very interesting. I can't quite put my hand on it (or my eas for the matter), but whatever it is you're doing, keep doing it! Your sequence playing over pentatonics is very interesting too, keep it up!

Leadbreak
Brother, you have something exceptionally unique. I knew this was you playing without having to read your name. I love your rythm repetition motis. You have a great sense of lead building that will set you apart as a guitar player. Keep up the excellent work!

Muris
Muris, your lead is a whole lesson on itself! I don't understand how you do it... But I love it! Were no picks involved here? This is excellent on a technical point of view and very interesting harmonically. Next time you do something like that, please give us tabs! biggrin.gif

PlayAllDay
PlayAllDay, your lead is really good! The choice of notes and rythm section is very pleasing to the ear. There's something very satisfying to me when I hear your take. I like how you went from one key to the other without giving the listener a feel of confusion. Keep up the great work!

Sb81
Your lead was remarkable in the way you followed the instructions. Your choice of notes followed the tack very well and that's what I wanted! You have proven here that you understand all the concepts and I applaud you. Keep working hard, you're doing great!

Smells
What a great lead you have here Smells. I love your how you built everything. Great tne, great chops and great creativity. You have a very intersting smart shred style that I love. Great work!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 23 2008, 07:38 PM
Instructor
"Look Around" Rock Solo Collaboration

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=10915

Main players:

1. preownedguitar
2. Juan M. Valero
3. Andrew Cockburn
4. David Wallimann
5. botoxfox
6. Iluha
7. coffeeman
8. nikolai
9. fatb0t

Surprise-Guest Appearances:

10. Muris
11. Ivan Milenkovic

Comments

1. preownedguitar
Yours was the first solo uploaded and i really liked your sound - actually TYPE of sound. I like the spacey distortion lead with some delay/reverb on it - it hits the collab mood very well. However, i would suggest you try adding some "meat" to your sound - make it a bit thicker, try adding some more middle and bass frequencies. The first part of the solo was good, but in the second part i could feel a bit of a: "I'm not sure what to do here!" feeling. The last note hits the solo perfectly i really liked that ending smile.gif Good job!

2. Juan M. Valero
Love the screaming sound of your guitar man! You got some really cool ideas and i can feel a lot of Steve Vai influence in your tapping licks smile.gif There are some missing notes in that alternate picking part wink.gif and you can also try playing those AP licks with neck pickup - it really makes them sound smoother and more "in the spot". Thanks for taking part m8 - loved it all in all! smile.gif

3. Andrew Cockburn
I can hear a lot of practicing in your playing! Really clean playing man. However, you sound like you are afraid to go around the fretboard - relax man! It's like driving your first car - you just hit the gas and you don't care where you go - you just enjoy driving - same goes here smile.gif

Ok, now about those sweeps - i listened a lot to your solo and noticed that you use a lot of repeating notes. You play it really clean and you're on a good way with sweeping but if you play sweeps at that speed you want to avoid repeating notes and i included the GP5 file with your sweeping part and 2 possible variations you can try just to see that you have a choice smile.gif

Attached File For_Andrew.gp5 ( 2.32K ) Number of downloads: 7

And those repeating notes are not only in your sweeps but also regular AP phrases - it sounds all fine until you hit a repeating note for no reason - it destroys the phrase and is like: "Should i stop or continue driving?" and sounds really unsure so try avoiding those repeating notes unless they are REALLY needed for the rhythm - but the way you play them here they don't sound rhythmically important.

Thanks for your solo! smile.gif

4. David Wallimann
David totally blew me away with this solo! The harmony part is amazing! I keep listening to it again and again smile.gif Thanks for your contribution smile.gif

5. botoxfox
You hit the first bend straight away and overdid it a bit wink.gif Also you missed 1 note from the scale in the first descending part in your solo but it's no big deal - the main thing is to make sure you know all the scale boxes and it will not happen to you again wink.gif The rest after that is all cool! I like your sound in this solo.
Practice a bit more of tapping and correct bending pitch and you'll be on a good way my friend smile.gif

6. Iluha
By the start of the solo i was expecting something really cool and screamy but you stayed at the same part of the neck for too long and did not develop your idea. Also instead of repeating the beginning of the solo later in the solo you could replace it with some cool AP run and develop it into a much better and cooler solo. These are just suggestions - don't kill me for that biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I appreciate your contribution man smile.gif

7. coffeeman
You got a cool sound there but your only problem is your timing - you lose the track of timing pretty often so i suggest you practice soloing with metronome. The tapping mistakes are also due to the timing instability smile.gif You'll get it with a bit of metronome practice every day smile.gif Nice solo overall - the idea of it is great, you only need to fix your timing and you're on the road to good soloing smile.gif

8. nikolai
I added a bit of reverb to your sound so it sounds more "in the feel" with the backing track and the whole piece. I have to say you have a correct approach to the construction of the solo but you lack some "performance" - i mean you need to make your ideas sound more confident, if it's a long note than hit it with some vibrato and it will sound really like: "Hey, i'm standing here and i know what i'm doing!" - than you'll really grow in your soloing. I would also suggest you working on your sound a bit - you got too much treble and not enough "meat". Middle and bass are also important parts of the sound so experiment with it a bit smile.gif
I encourage you to take part in our future collabs - don't be afraid - you're on a good way smile.gif

9. fatb0t
I also added a bit of reverb to your solo - sounds a lot better IMO. You got some decent bends - they are pretty precise (the first one in the end is out of pitch but immediately after it you hit a perfect bend so i guess it was accidently). But you do need to work on your AP so when you are playing a phrase or a run you're sure that THOSE are the notes you need to play and not some unsure dribbling 'cause it sounds like: "Ouch, uff, ouch this hurts...ouch, uff, oh..." like you're walking on the broken glass biggrin.gif

Good job all-in-all! smile.gif Thanks for jumping in and helping us out with the number of playing members smile.gif

10. Muris
Do i need to comment this? wink.gif Listening to a solo like this you can easily say that you're listening to a really experienced player smile.gif The melodies in the second part of the solo are particularly good - amazing! And i must say that your start in the middle of the bar gave me some troubles aligning it with the backing track biggrin.gif biggrin.gif But than i decided that i will align it easier if i use the last bar of the solo for that biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

11. Ivan Milenkovic
Thanks for gust-appearance man! Some cool licks in there and i am sure GMC-ers will benefit from listening to instructor's solos smile.gif I got nothing to say there - thanks smile.gif

Final word:

This turned out better than i expected and all of you perfectly matched the style of solo i expected for this backing track. Some people need to improve some of their skills, and i am glad we have something to improve on because otherwise we wouldn't need GMC smile.gif Read the comments and feel free to ask questions.

Special thanks to newcomers who stepped out and tried their skills in this collab! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 23 2008, 11:27 PM
Instructor
NEW BLUES COLLAB:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...=10771&st=0

Well, after a while of listening to this final mix I must say that diversity is a funny thing
with humans, it really is.. So many different styles here, and a lot of good sounding melodies in
general very very good! I must apologize ti you all because the disposition of the solos has
changed in the process of transferring them in Nuendo, so the solos are not in the order you've
posted them in the final mix.

I will be not too harsh when commenting this collab because there is too much players, but will
focus on the main things, and maybe mention sometimes if I hear something that I dislike too
much. Please guys, bare in mind that all this comments represent my subjective opinion and I
would like to hear yours too, so we can all see how we passed from different points of views. I'm
sure there are different opinions here at least as much as there is different styles! So lets
begin:

1. bodo
nice man, some heavy blues licks, packed in a logical sense solo, nice start, little run on the
fifth chord and then some nice repetitive movements on the end. I would suggest that you find
some better distortion settings, this sounds too harsh. So playing is I repeat good, but I would
recommend better sounding drive. Must practice a bit with your presets and maybe turn down drive
pot a bit. Other than that its great!

2. Alex Lewis
OK Alex, here we have some nice pentatonic licks and bendings, little repetitive, but very very
nice. The color of distortion is nice too, not too harsh, and pleasing to hear.All in all nice
solo, some interesting lick going on there. Nice sound, notes are clear, it need some refinement
but all in all good.

3. Fran
Nice man, interesting use of wah pedal in the blues, and nice soloing. I would recommend using
effects in modern blues, and if it had some more reverb it would definitely remind me of Ed
Stalmann! Again I must comment about the distortion - I really didn't like it. But that is a
small problem, it is just a matter of going to different preset or turning down the drive pot so
it doesn't sounds too muddy.

4. HKM67
Some nice licks going on there man, very hard rock sounding blues, some nice sharp bending licks.
The drive is little too much if you ask me, but that all relative. I would like it even more if
you started from that clean setting right away, not in the middle of the solo, and then evolve to
something with more hi gain towards the end. But nice dynamic showdown.

5. Muris
Some interesting and original sounding licks there Muris, I'm trying to figure out what it is but
I really can't do it. My guess it is a whammy bar or something. Well, whatever it is it adds the
flavor! Solo is great, as always, drive is little synthetic but very smooth and pleasing to ear,
and nice stereo delay touch. Keeping a standard as always.

6. JWBauer
And some low drive settings at last. Like it man. The sound is good and pleasing, no harsness at
all, very gentle bassy clean sound. Some nice phrasing licks there, nice use of a blues scale,
and little clumsy in the end but all in all great effort, and a nice bluesy solo.

7. fatb0t
Nice stuff man, you did this in a nice heavy blues style, with lots of distortion. Thats good.
The drive setting isn't too good though, very harsh sounding. I liked those repetitive licks,
they really tell me that you got into the blues feeling for a moment there.

8. smells
Nice, nice, good. Those are the words for this one m8! Drive setting is great, very smooth, and
some delay too adds to the space, solo is great, really like the blues lick at start with hammer
on, and all in all good. In the end a little tiny bit carried away, but thats a blues feeling, I
think you just got into the groove.

9. JVM
Nice clean style JVM. good phrasing and nice warm and gentle blues solo. I like it. It is what
the blues is all about, simplicity and feeling.

10. Twidbeard
Nice effort man, good sounding blues, raw simple solos and some crunch settings makes this solo
very good in my book. Work on those interval using. Very good use, but execution little on the
clumsy side. Other than that great.

11. TJchep
Interesting, very beefed up sound, and a solo as well. Some nice licks there and a little run in
the end makes this solo very good. I would really turn down reverb a bit, because it sounds
little muddy. Solo is good, little heavy, but climbing to the end, and a a little clumsy finish.
All in all a nice distorted solo.

12. Crazyfret
Nice sound, very strat like, some clapton licks here, and nice interval using. Again simple and
gentle, you really thinked about what you played and I respect that. Although the solo has some
standard licks, it is good from beginning to the end and that is great.

13. Iluha
Interesting effect there Iluha, some nice space echo delay use in the blues. First time to hear
that actually and it sounds good. I think it is good because it is simple and the sound is good
too. nice idea.

14. Preownedguitar
What do we have here, some old school heavy blues licks, nice and solid sound, not too distorted,
just on the edge really. Solo is good, work a little on those bends and you'll be fine, the solo
has a decent structure.

15. muntahunta
Nice and smooth melody, no too many runs, but for that intervals I recommend some other drive
preset. This one is too harsh for any solo, and particularly for the blues. Off course this type
of solo can be played in the blues and it sounds great, but the drive isn't a good quality one.
My guess is if you played this one with some low or medium drive settings it would sounded much
better.

16. machogriz
Nice, little out of tune on the guitar, but the solo is good, good color, but wooow, whats that
in the middle, some glued on boost that doesn't sound too good if you ask me man.. You must turn
that volume a bit, and equalize it with the beginning. It sounds TOO harsh like this. Other than
that nice effort.

17. robin
some nice slide "crossroads" licks i hear here. Here we have a first slide use, and a good one
man, but I would think it would be MUCH MUCH better if you turned down the drive pot a bit. It
sounds too muddy and dark like this.

18. Pavel
Nice Pavel, execution is great, and some original licks, but not too bluesy as you said. The use
of the major scale is great, but some blue notes would sounded great here. You got the chops,
you're just not into blues that much thats all. All in all great sounding.

19. Andrew Cockburn
Well, well, well, some nice vibrato I hear! Among the best thats for sure. The color is great
too, very warm and spacey, not too muddy on the reverb side, and good sounding solo. Great effort and very bluesy sounding.

20. Scoob
Now this one I like man. I really like that raw sound in the blues, and I think you nailed the
preset. Solo is great too, very old school sounding, raw but gentle, with feeling but simple.
Great.

21. USAMAN
Nice wah use and a good color after the wah. Solo is great too, I rally like the way you used
your wah. Nice effort on wah note accenting, and simple blues solo. You kept it that way all the
way and it sounds great.

- My Solo (Ivan Milenkovic)
Well, here's mu modest effort to the collab so you can comment if you want. I used my fingers for
a change on this one.

Milenkovic Ivan, Over and Out smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 27 2008, 04:03 PM
Instructor
Modern & Rocker Collaboration
Final mix & comments

Modern___Rocker_Collab_Final_MIX.mp3 ( 4.62MB ) Number of downloads: 82

Hello guys!! I'm very proud to present our first collaboration finished! I'm very impressed of the final mix. Congrats to all the guitar players that participated in this song. As one of the participants couldn't record his solo I recorded the last chorus solo of the song.

I work hard in the mix to get a professional song. I tried to make the guitars sound similar but without losing the original sound of each player.

Congrats again to all of you and I hope that all the GMCers enjoy this song!

Lead players in order of appearance: The Uncreator, Smells, Tjchep, Freatdancer, Slammer, Preowned, Gilmore and Gabriel Leopardi (me smile.gif ).

Here I'll do some comments and appreciations of the participants in this song:

Uncreator:

You began the song in an excellent way. I really enjoy how you started with that interesting tapping solo, then some pentatonic bends and finally a short melody. You worked it very good! The final harmony is also very good.

I liked the sound too so keep on the great job.

Smells:

You melody and harmony is awesome. I have to say that it remembers to Metallica and this is so good for me. The solo has been played with a perfect timing and technique.

The only thing that I think you should work is the sound. Ï think that if try to get a warmer sound you'll record killer solos. One recording tip: When you do the mixdown try to set the guitar channel with a louder volume because I receive a very low gain wav.

But all those thins are technical thing that can be solved very easily. You have composed and excellent melody and solo. Good work!

Tjchep:

I find your playing and melodies very original and that's very good. I really enjoyed the sustain of your distortion and the sound of your guitar. Originally you had to record a solo over the chorus but you record it over a verse but that wasn't a problem for me. As one of the participants couldn't record his part I used you solo there and I recorded the last chorus solo. Your playing is very good and I would suggest you to try to compose the melodies in your mind. Then sing them and finally transpose it to the guitar. I think that you'll find more clear melodies but it's just a suggestion. Keep on practicing!

Fretdancer:

I can hear a lovely Maiden influence in your melodies! You record a nice melody for the chorus of the song. I really enjoyed the warm sound of your guitar! I would have recorded some maiden style harmonies in this great solo. I added a small delay in the end of your solo… Did you notice it?

Slammer:

Your playing is good and I really like the licks that you play in your solo. I really enjoy your classic rock style! (maybe influenced by Slash, Jimmy Page?) I only find a problem with the rhythm in the end of the solo but the rest of the solo is nice. Keep on practicing man!!

Preowned:

You did a very good use of the wah wah. I love the rocker begin of the solo. I think that if you add a stronger vibrato in your playing, your solos will sound better. The second guitar harmonized sound cool. Talking about the sound…. I would say of the same that I said to Smells (Check his comment).

Gilmore:

I can hear that you practice very hard different lick and you make it sound very good and professional. You have a great technique. Now I think that you have to let your should speak. This is one of the most difficult things. Your solos could maybe sound as a combination of exercises in the future. You are doing a great work and you are becoming a great guitar player so now it's time to add more feeling to your playing.

However your solo sound amazing! It's just a suggestion.

Keep on the hard work!

See you in our next collaboration!

gabriel.-

Final Mix Topic

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jan 27 2008, 04:56 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 7 2008, 06:21 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hello GMC!!
We started this one last month and now its finally over !! I made a rock n roll backing track for you to record your killer solos over it as well as rhythm parts.We got some pretty different solos and styles here and its so great to hear you all jamming together! I want to thank you all for participating in my first collab and helping to build something unique..Thanks guys, keep up the great work !!! I'll write my comments here , remember that they are just subjective evaluation of what you did.. smile.gif

Here is the final mix of it :

Attached File  RNR_collab_FINAL_MIX.mp3 ( 6.11MB ) Number of downloads: 631

Comments (this is the actual line up in the mix as well) :

1.Iluha

You chose to play over just drum and bass track and I really liked how it went..You got a good raw tone that fits that role of guitar.Idea is well developing over the track so its a good concept behind it and doesn't get boring at all.I would only work a little on precision when the higher up the neck part starts..Also you could in the first part of the solo use bending to play some notes that you fingered instead.That would just be the cream on the cake there.Good job man , thanks for playing this one.

2.JVM

Another well developed solo.Starting slowly and then going for some nice melodies..I liked your tone too reminds me a little to les paul type of tone..Good choice of notes, I liked that fast run you did in the middle it sounded spot on.I think that you may have stayed too long in the middle of the neck and would like to hear more bendy high notes here..That would really well sum it up..Good take man ! Thanks

3.Gilmore

Very good guitar tone here..I liked your rhythm part and thanks for doing it you are the only one who did it! This solo has a very good feeling and energy over it..Good mix of different techniques makes it more interesting too.You played some notes that didn't fit very well on climbing up for the harmony part and some didn't come out great - they sounded like you played a little too fast there..Harmony part came out excellent and I really liked the second guitar that you recorded there..That was an excellent finish for this solo , well chosen !! Really great take man ! Thanks

4.Chast

Here we have a nice take too.Your tone lacked just a little brightness , it was a little muddy..I liked "johny be good" style bends you did on the second chord.I liked most of melodies here , but I really would like if after you went up the neck to prepare us for the high notes you stayed there and played similar melodies (that you played down the neck).Instead you chose a path to go back and you trapped your self on lower notes and didn't have the opportunity to finish the solo right..I'm sure if you stayed up after you brought your lead up that it would be a very good solo..Thanks man for this take!!

5.Vision

Wow , here I must notice the great strat guitar tone ! I liked the idea of playing jazzy in the first half..All the notes sounded very nice , and cool phrases too.Than comes the "skank" play strat tone part..Really nice change there! Its got a lot of feeling and good sound came out.You could be a little more precise when playing the faster runs though..This was a very interesting solo with a great overall feeling..Thanks man !

6.Crazyfret

Interesting choice of notes in the start here , on the first chord change to D comes a very good lick.I wish you played a little more around it and tried to develop it because its a very good one..Tapping part was interesting but you could play it a little cleaner and smother and I think it would fit in nicely..This was a monster 40 sec collab and like you said you got out of licks in the other half.Effect you did on second part is cool but didn't quite fit for the end of solo.I would recommend playing some repetitive octaves licks there , or maybe some rnr rhythm guitar with few notes on top..That would make a good finish wink.gif Thanks for playing in this collab man !!

7.Usaman

This solo has a great start to it..I really dig the screamy tremolo intro you did.Guitar sound is very well too.Fast , bendy energetic solo!! I really liked every part of it.Its well developing over time with great licks and melodies.You captured great feeling and energy of the moment in it..I can imagine you playing it live and throwing yourself around the stage wink.gif
I would not change here anything and great finish you did in the manner of the start..Very good solo man , thanks for participiating!

8.Preownedguitar

Another great energetic start of the solo.I really liked how you threw in some harmonics there..They fitted very well..Great melodies up the neck..And first part you played very good! Tapping part could be done with more precision and would work well that way..I can imagine you playing some more high up the neck melodies instead of it - it would work too..All notes sounded in place..Very good energy here too..Thanks man for recording this one!

9.Ivan Milenkovic

I won't comment , just thanks for appearing here! wink.gif

10.Nick325

Last but not least.This take came in a nick of time(while I was writing this comments) smile.gif I liked the old school strat bright tone there..Some nice ideas here...Bends were a good idea , but you played it a little slower.I like the vibrato you threw in and you could do it even more because it sounds cool! wink.gif Very nice solo to end this collab! Thanks man for recording it! wink.gif

Thank you guys again for recording this collab, you gave your personal signature to it and I enjoyed listening every one of you soloing here! I hope to see you in my future collabs too! wink.gif

Cheers!

Actual TOPIC link!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 9 2008, 11:27 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
GMC ROCK BALLAD STYLE COLLABORATION

I`d like to thank everyone for taking part in this Rock Ballad collaboration, I `ve really enjoyed putting it all together.

Quite a long collab, just over 11 mins

Here we go straight in with the comments, please remember that these are just my opinions and are not designed to offend in any way but to try and help improve on certain areas

so.. here we go.

Twibeard
A great effort from you here mate, this was more of an "effect style" solo, that I have to say, really grew on me the more and more I heard it, I know you`ve not been playing long, and I think you did a good job of staying within the boundaries, my only comment to you here was to change it up a little more, especially on the second half of the backing, nothing wrong with some repetition in a solo but a little too much I think this time, great effort

Preownedguitar
Really nice start into this one, nice little tapping part early on too, nicely carried all the way through, build up to the end was great, the only thing I`d comment on here was the actual tone of the guitar, your tone actually reminds me of how mine used to be, on slower, lighter pieces it still gives a harsh attack, a slightly warmer more rounded tone would have really been the icing on the cake for this solo mate, great job!

Stevie Ray Vaughn
I like the way you started here, building up the melody to the backing leading to the climatic part of the backing and saving the little shred part right till the end, great work I wont comment on your tone coz I know its something that you are not happy with yourself, and you and me are working on that already As a tip maybe dedicate some of your practice to some vibrato technique to give your slower solo parts more feel, nice solo mate, well done!

Tjchep
Where did you get that tone from?? Was totally undecided as to what take to use for you mate, both had excellent qualities, but I agreed with you in the end, your second attempt had more structure to it, so I used that one, the intro in to your solo I thought was fantastic, and throughout your solo I felt flashes of brilliance too, you have great tone and a nice "feel" to your playing, my only comment for you is indeed the actual structure of the solo, I think if you work on that part of your playing more and hook up those great licks, your gunna be playing some truly excellent solo`s, great work mate!

Coffeeman
Now this is the truth when I say that I`ve hummed the start of your solo to myself all week, really enjoyed your take, so not much to say here, I know you work very hard and its really paying off mate, if theres anything to work on more it may be your vibrato but I know you are working hard on everything so just keep it up, excellent!

sb81
A nice take this, again the intro in was nice and you began to build up your melody, pointers for you would be to work on your bends, try to keep yourself in key when your bending and bend to the next note in the scale, try to make the notes flow a little more into each other, I`m not sure if you know what I mean and its kinda hard to explain, but your on the right track mate, just keep practicing, excellent effort well done!

Andrew Cockburn
This was just awful ......... not! lovely take mate, I loved the tone of your guitar, really warm, theres two bits that stand out for me in this take 1. your very first note in, played with great feel and set the mood 2. theres a little slide off not long after the start, I dont know if it was an incidental or deliberate and its strange how the smallest thing can make a solo sound truly great, at a guess I would say this is a preferred style for you, slow, mellow, melodic, others that I`ve mentioned vibrato to should really listen to Andrews take here, I know its something he has worked extremly hard on and boy was it worth it mate! excellent!

Botoxfox
Another excellent take, well thought out and nicely structured, executed brilliantly, love the harmonised run at the end, the only thing maybe was a tadge too much reverb in there for my taste, it made it quite hard to mix in, but apart from that I really liked your take, great job!

Fredancer69
A nice lead here, nice little melody, you left a rather strange gap before the last part of the backing, nothing wrong with gaps but this seemed slightly out of place? again to work on your bends a little more and include vibrato as part of your practice routine and your well on your way mate, overall it was a nice take, great effort!

Fsgdjv
Well I thought this was just great I added a little bit of delay to your tone as I thought it was a little "dry" excellent start in to your solo and an equally excellent ending run on your take! I think theres a few little things to work on, not much, just to tighten up a little on timing maybe and again to sustain some of your notes just a tadge longer sometimes to make it flow nicely. excellent job mate, well done!

Kaznie_NL
A ha, my pm buddy Kaz

I was really pleased you did a second take here, it showed you`d listened to your previous take and realised a few things that where not right, I think youve got some great ideas throughout this take mate, a tip for you is phrasing, we`ve spoke about it before but I thought of a way to put it accross to you, imagine singing a line from a song, and the words are sung and flow with the music, now imagine them just saying them short and sharp, which sounds the best ??? the sung, flowing with the backing version of course try and introduce this into your playing, its just practice mate and since you already have good ideas its just a question of executing them correctly listen back to this collab in a few weeks and you`ll notice the difference I guarantee ya your doing brilliantly and the introduction of your new Korg effects is great, brilliant effort mate thanks

Leedbreak
I think David Walliman mentioned this in his last collab and he`s spot on, you have a very unique sound/style that is instantly recognisable as "Jason" very rythmic style to your playing, your intro was real nice, personally I felt you could have developed that a little more before moving into the more rythmic part of your playing, but I think thats part of what makes your solo`s unique, great work as always mate, well done

Organisedconfusion
well, this actually totally threw me if I`m honest, I dont know why but I wasnt expecting a clean take from you mate so I`m pleased you did, I added a tadge of chorus, a bit of delay and some EQ to your guitar, really nice take this, I thought a couple of your bends where slightly off, but then you`d already mentioned that so no need to point you in that direction I really liked it, you almost seemed nervous about the outcome in the forum, it was mellow, smooth and laid back, I especially liked the second half of your solo, great job mate!

Chast
So finally we have Chast A great effort here again, great build up for the second half of the backing, and you tried to give the piece some feel too a little work on timing maybe but apart from that another great take, excellent job mate!

So thats it, its all over, I really enjoyed listening to your solo`s, each was individual and great in its own way, thank you for taking part, I hope you enjoyed it too.
Please remember again that the comments are just my opinions and trying to help you out.

all the best till next time

Attached File  .GMC_Rock_ballad_collab_final_mix.mp3 ( 10.35MB ) Number of downloads: 653

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 26 2008, 04:56 PM
Instructor
It's finally there! I finally mixed your leads on the 80's metal collab.
You guys rock. I was really impressed with all of your efforts. Each one of you brought to this a unique touch. Here are some thoughts on what I heard.
I recommend that you listen to these and pick from each one of the leads an element that is appealing to you and work on that in your own music.
Thanks again guys!
You rock!

Attached File  Finished.mp3 ( 8.74MB ) Number of downloads: 725

USAMAN
I love the way you built your lead there. Great mix of technical challenging parts and nice melodic feels. I love your left hand vibrato. It's not too exagerated and very controled. Great chops!

Botox
I was quite impressed with your take there! Very Van Halen-esque and totally appropriate for this collab. You have a very strong entry here. Excellent job!

Coffeeman
Your lead is quite unique here, I love your choice of notes. It works great! Nice bend control in there. Some cool bluesy ideas make this very heartfelt. Great collab!

FatbOt
I like the beggining of your lead. Nice arpeggio ideas that give this a cool melodic touch. The second part is well played and the development your exposed is cleverly built.

Iluha
Your lead on this is pretty emotional. The beggining has a great feeling with its bends. I think the last lick is brilliant.
Very well constructed!

Preowneguitar
The choice of notes you used is pertinant and well thought. I like the rhythm flow you gave to this. I like your use of bends
at the end of your lead. It closes up your take nicely.

SB81
I love the first few notes of your lead. Your entrance in this is memorable. What I mean here is that you exposed an opening that the listeners remembers. That's something to remember when building a lead a lead. Great job!

Smells
Wow, what a great lead we have here! A perfect mix of melodic control and technical challenging parts. You managed to build something very special here. Congrats! I love the last sweep, very appropriate.

StevieRayVaughan
Strong melodies here my friend! That's th type of lead that people remember. Great builing, your lead tells a story. Your
lead here fits your nickname perfectly Mister Vaughan. Keep it up!

Tjchep
Nice vibrato control in here! Your vibrato tecnique is quite unique and gives each note a very heartfelt feel. Is that left
hand vibrato? Great lead and great phrasing!

Twibeard
I love what I heard here! I really dig the question/response kind of thing you did at the beggining. The choice of sound is
also interesting. Memorable lead there! Great job!

This post has been edited by Smells: Feb 27 2008, 12:25 AM

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 28 2008, 11:33 AM
Instructor
Well guys, after a while mixing , finally another MONSTER COLLAB! smile.gif Let me take this oportunity and thank you all for being patient for the final mix to arrive, I know it took some time but here it is. You all did a tremendous work, and my comments are subjective. If you have comments please leave them too. Thanks for participating! smile.gif

SUMMARY:

PARTICIPANTS - 20
LENGTH - 18.30 blink.gif

I'll be a little tough this time smile.gif Let's begin......

1. at_lights_end:

Very nice playing, smooth and relaxed, I like it. On the half you seemed a little stuck, but the backing is too long for a proper solo. I like the playing, but work on bends and the sound. Too buzzy distortion is not a good thing, also a lot of noise in the background from distortion. So keep that in mind. ALso reverberation is good in certain limits, but too much can cause a muddy sound, so be carefull with the reverb. All in all great solo, you need to work on the sound more. smile.gif

2. Fran:

Ahh, that clean intro melody reminds me to old cowboy movies smile.gif Very nice, to much reverb again, but very smooth sound and a nice phrasing. I like the idea that you kept it simple all the way, sometimes the best solos are the simplest ones, and this time you were spot on. Again Fran, reminding you to finish of your phrases in a little more effective way, not just lets-get-back-to-the-root-in-eight-notes way, if you know what I mean. DOn't worry it is not big deal, couple of blues licks, and you will rock I'm sure smile.gif

3. Tjchep:

Nice intro, like those prebends, you hold the sound nicely, and those pinched harmonics are cool, bends are little shaky, but nothing to serious. Space is nice on the track, not too much, just how much it needs, but the drive is too buzzy. Try decreasing the gain when you hear too much buzzing and noise. It is always better to work with less drive and quality sound that plenty drive and lousy sound. wink.gif

4. Sami

Interesting playing Sami, intro is not too great, because you play mostly scales up down, but later on you did some nice melodies, and I liked that. Sound is too buzzy and there is no dynamics, but that can be fixed with some different presets, and some dynamic licks. All in all very good.

5. ballistic31

wow, too much gain again, I understand that you want a hi gain sound but this is not the way to get it. Too much highs, too little lows, buzzing all the way, next time decrease the gain in order to get a quality tone, because that is the most important thing. On the other hand playing is very nice and relaxed, some mistaken notes here and there but nothing too serious.

6. Crazyfret

Great effort Crazyfret, very nice playing, and some solid licks, and interval use. I can definitely see some improvements and lotta new licks in your vocabulary. Keep up the good work. THe sound is also very decent too.

7. Gus

And some cool smooth single clean sounds. Very nice. Like the feeling you put here, those repetative licks are very effective, and solo is nice. You have clipping tho, and need to turn the volume down next time you record. Other than that it's great. Space is excellent too. Very subtle and audible in the same time.

8. Organized Confusion

Nice take Organized, that is really some nice soloing and melody making. The buzzing sound is not that great, work more on your presets. You lack dynamic also in the preset. Bends need to be more effective and solid, but those nice melody question and answer licks are pretty good idea and I really like it. Keep up the good work! smile.gif

9. Iluha

Nice clean sound Iluha, and a good heavy delay, maybe too much heavy, but it can pass as a style thing. Interesting phrasing, very subtle and unique, couple of notes here and there and the solo turned up great in the end. Nice work smile.gif

10. IzzyCom

Well, that preset won't go for sure... lots of gain, buzz and noise. On the other hand soloing is great! I really like your bends, I can tell that you practiced the bends but not too much vibrato right? Some more vibrato would be nice to hear on such a lovely emotional solo indeed!

11. JWBauer

Interesting intro, like the melody and developing is decent too. You kept the structure of the solo solid, and the main theme always present which is great. On the other hand too much buzzing cannot be a good thing, so I suggest decreasing gain to some normal value where the full potential of your playing can be more audible (dynamics, phrases etc)

12. machogriz

Wow, who killed the cat smile.gif Kidding nice solo, and intro, but the preset uhmm...didn't sound too good. I like the idea tho, but the quality is not so good, so I suggest using the preset in smaller degree so it doesn't "eat up" the sound too much. Your playing is great, some nice syncopation and melodies so nice shot! smile.gif

13. Mario

nice solo Mario, like those runs palm muting and those long emotional notes, but must work on bends a little in order to be more effective. Simple but effective. Preset is not that great, too strong and buzzed,lacks heavily with dynamics, it practicaly eat your sound away. Try decreasing the drive. SPace is great, little but effective.

14. eddiecat

Interesting intro with those arpeggios, and developing is nice, but those up and down the scale in the middel won't pass. You kinda get away later with some nice soloing, and finished it of with nice and emotional bends, I like those a lot! and.... I don't know did you noticed but you finished on a off-note - that is not a good thing! Preset is weak, and buzzing, again remind you on the quality and not the quantity of gain.

15. preownedguitar

Nice clean sound, shakey intro, but you've managed to develop it nicely later with those bends, looks like glued on recordings, some good emotional single style sound, like it, reminds on Clapton a little. The solo is a little short and in the end instead of going up, you came down pretty quickly. Next time I suggest you develop the solo from down to up, and do something effective and rememorable in the end.

16. Superize

Lots of buzzing here too, liek those long notes, but the buzzing is terrible man. Must roll of the drive in order to get some dynamics and effective solo. THe choise of notes is great, you pulled it off very nicely in a simple style. Great effort! smile.gif

17. Thilo

Nice clean sound, gentle and interesting, bends are great and licks excellent. I really like the clean sound and the way you lead the melody to the end. Very good solo, you're all over the fretboard I like the way you connect positions with fingerstyle technique, but be carefull about muting the strings, and nto to play too many notes, sometimes less is more with such an interesting style you have. Keep rockin smile.gif

18. Twibeard

I dig the idea with the heavy delay, but too much space in my opinion there, roll off the delay a littel and reverb too. Notes are cool, and I like the minimalistic idea that you've come up with, sounds very effective. Clean sound is also great.

19. wrk

Nice sound man, and a good licks and arpeggios. Phrasing is also good, but your solo lacks a general structure. Lot's of good licks, but little developing and construction. Also the drive is smooth, but I can tell it's a littel buzzy (not too much). Stereo delay is a nice touch on the whole thing. More work on the bends too.

20. soulstone

Interesting phrasing, and a great sence of melody, very nice melody leading and structure. You are great at impro, and the feeling you put is excellent too, but check the preset, I can see that it is not good, too quiet and buzzed.

21. My Take

Well, as for me, my solo is good, but really made in speed, and lacks a real structure, I started slowly and then blew it off with those very unprecise and poor sounding runs in the end, in relative to the nice phrasing on start. The sound is decent enough for the occasion - warm dirty clean just how I like it, but need to work on those vibrato bends more, and need to sound more convinsing and with more feeling, on this track I didn't show any feeling except for something little in the start, and then I finished the solo in a let's hurry up a rap it up way.

Thanks for participating!

FINAL MIX

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 28 2008, 09:42 PM
Instructor
Hey guys, it's been a while, but we finally managed to make the song. I wanna thank everybody who participated and hope we will do some more of this. This was a little unortodox collaboration and we needed every piece of the song to put it together. Everybody put something his and we did it! It was very fun! smile.gif

SUMMARY:

PARTICIPANTS - 8
LENGTH - 3.42

Comments:

1. LeedBreak (INTRO)

Wow Leedbreak this is one very nice intro theme, I like it a lot! Repetative and melodic with roots everdubbed, very effective way to begin a song! The sound is little muddy on those roots tho, I can hear the buzzing, but all in all a great effort!

2. Iluha (MAIN THEME)

Very nice soloing here Iluha, the sound is little buzzy, and maybe too much reverb is on but in general nice little solo. One thing to suggest maybe - main theme riff is suppose to be simple, catchy, and loop-able, so for the next time I suggest doing a simpler riff. It's just my subjective opinion tho.

3. Nick_325 (SOLO 1)

Interesting solo man, I like the clean sound and all, but the solo is in more of a blues manire. You should do some bends, maybe even some drive in order to be a rock song solo. But simplicity is always nice if you know how to use it. Some notes were a little off beat, so check on those with a metronome.

4. Chuchulain (BRIDGE)

Nice idea for the bridge I like it a lot! But execution is poor, you should record everything in a beat and with slightly less overdrive. But it is a great riff for a bridge, nice thinkin!

5. Stevie_Ray_Vaughan (SOLO 2)

Very good solo, real rock stuff, maybe some stable bends and runs would make it even better, but all in all very nice.

6. Nemanja (VOCALS)

These vocals are great in one word! Nice singing and phrasing, and a true rock sounding stuff here. I especially like what you did with those unison singing on the chorus it really brings up the chorus from the verse. Nice effort!

7. Bogdan (BASS)

Nice bassline there Bogdan, you played it quite nicely, little off beat, but all in all very good. The sound is great, I can really hear the all around sound, the zings and the bumps. I especially like the phrasing on those muted notes on the verse and slap&pop on the verse really opens up the sound. You know you songwriting skills.

8. AudunESP (LYRICS)

Well, these lyrics that you wrote man are like made for this song. Very nice and positive lyrics, in the spirit of an old rock&roll. You can go wrong with this lyrics when making a good songs, and thank you for giving us such a great material to work on! You lyrics writing is very good!

As for me, I played the outro solo on the song and main riff theme! smile.gif

FINAL MIX

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 27 2008, 12:04 PM
Instructor
Ahoy there GMC`ers it seems that we have another great collab on our hand! You all made it great, and this one really shows all the hard work you've put into your playing!

I must note that, knowing from previous collabs that we've done you made a very good progress and I can see how your overall tone and soloing concepts are developing and sounding great here!

SO without further adue... smile.gif

COLLABORATION SUMMARY:

Participants: 13
Duration: 8m 09s

1. USAMAN

You started your solo great with that bassy lick, and then going to some fast stuff right away, first few bend licks were great, and then that coming down was a little shaky, then again coming to those bends, quite nice, I like when you go into frenzy with those nice legato repeating lick. After that it seemed to me like you wanted to finish the solo earlier, so the end is not to effective it seems added, but you made it to the end. I suggest practicing bends more, and the distortion is maybe too compressed for my taste.

2. TJCHEP

Nice first melody line and intro to solo, then you kinda lost yourself with lots of licks unconnected, up until the end when you pull out those nice bending phrasing. I really liked those. The sound isn't too bad, too much mids but smooth and ok. What I would do when improvising is find a melody line that I like, for example the one from the beginnign of your solo, and build your solo on that, maybe make some variations instead of playing very different licks.

3. KAZNIE

Hey nice effort man, Interesting pentatonic scale use, and rhytmic patterns. Just don't forget to insert a few bends here and there so it doesn't sound similar throughout the solo. The sound is ok, maybe little thin, but Not too harsh sounding.

4. DEEPROOTS

Nice intro to solo Deep, and nice fills too, you really worked out the theme, and those bends later are very smooth and going well in the solo, you kept it then simple to the end and done nice little run down the scale to finish off. The concept of soloing is going well for you, just need to refine allaround execution a little and it would be great. Sound is decent.

5. SIGGUM

WOw, nice jazzy licks, I like it a lot. ALso nice twangy clean sound is very decent indeed. Those chords are very good and fit in quite nicely over the vamp. The little solo lick remind of Joe's a little, maybe you got inspiration there. Nice work man!

6. PREOWNEDGUITAR

Nice intro, and some interesting developing, those hamerons need to be just little more precise if you ask me. Also the muting of the strings must be tighter. I like the idea in the end of making soem themes based on combination of the same notes. It came out pretty well. The sound is too compressed, need to work on your preset just a little more. Other than that it's great.

7. JVM

wow, those are some nice funky chords. I like it a lot! You really captured the essence of funk man, especially with those repeating intervals in the middle of the solo. THe solo part seems little shaky after this chordal work, but you made it quite nicely with chords in the end. Good job!

8. GUS

And first wah wah participant. Nicely done man! I like those bending licks and the fact you wanted to do some syncopating in the solo, but for my taste too much repeating of the same lick. Maybe throw in some nice long bends or long notes in solo and it will sound even better for sure. SOund is nice!

9. SMELLS

Great solo smells, you're really progressing, I can sense that, also this nice theme at the beginning of the solo is a very interesting one. It reminds me on something but who know what.. Nice lick tho, and legato afterwards is also very good. The concept of the solo is good, but one suggestion, there are many great exercises here, and just make it a little bit smoother transition between them when playing the solo will sound even better. SOund is liiitle compressed for my taste but smooth and not harsh sounding.

10. ORGANIZED CONFUSION

Nice little crunchy playing there confusion, I like the idea how you played with the rhythm to make some nice soloing. You throwed in some exerices that are not built for funk so the speak, but made them sound very funky, and that is smart thinking man. More security while playing is maybe something to note, and try to relax while playing, it sounds a little tensed.

11. ANGELICA

And our brave singer Angelica smile.gif Thanks for chipping in with you voice. I really like the lyrics, very funky and catchy. ALso those backings are a nice touch. About the singing, it is very good, but more security in your voice could not hurt you. Those octave higher singing in the end is a great idea, and with a bit of practice it could sound even more better. In the end you kinda lost the tempo a bit, but it's nothing serious. Great job!

12. SOULSTONE

Nice starting lick, maybe a little messy because of the high gain but I like it. Need to sound a little more concrete and defined and by rolling of the drive it could sound great. In the end you made some interesting repetative lick and a small melody line. What I like about your solo is you made it all sound in one theme so the concept is interesting.

13. JOE CATALDO

Nice take Joe, good solid concept and great starting theme. You practiced that one, and it sounds very nice. In the second part of the solo it's a liiitle shaky but your holding to the click to the end which is great, maybe dropping few notes here and there but nothing too serious. The sound is also very good and well defined, with some nice space effects, little but effective.

MINE TAKE:

I've made some interesting twangy effects in the first part, but later going berseerk, and even loosing tempo and note count in one moment which is not good at all. Also notes didn't came out properly and must work more on my accuracy along side with speed while doing improvisations. In generall good, but messy.

So I woudl like to thank to all the participants! I'll see you in the next collab real soon, and have fun! smile.gif

FINAL MIX

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:44 AM